• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Andrew.

Banned
This was one of those things im sure was changed last minute due to testing....it is very hard to judge "hearing" distance and what constitutes a loud or soft noise when playing a game...im also willing to bet that players could easily get through the whole section as long as they walked slow

EDIT: I stealthed by all except the first on my run through

Is it actually possible to avoid alerting some of them? Playing on hard it seemed pretty automatic that they responded

LiK

Were the Boys of Silence around in previous Infinite promotional vids and such? They strike me as a pretty late addition given their implementation in the game.

They were cool, though, at least visually. Those areas gave me Silent Hill vibes.

i don't remember but they made an action figure for them so they were probably very early in development for that to happen. the only other Infinite action figure is Elizabeth.

B33

Banned
Were the Boys of Silence around in previous Infinite promotional vids and such? They strike me as a pretty late addition given their implementation in the game.

They were cool, though, at least visually. Those areas gave me Silent Hill vibes.

They're in the Heavy Hitter promotional videos.

Concept art also suggests that they weren't a "late" edition.

I thought their use in the experience was quite weak actually. They were just humanoid security cameras and barely used at that.

At least they looked fucking awesome.

The little crazies with the founding father masks were way more memorable than those things.

Agreed.

I would have liked to have seen them employed more, but I suppose much was whittled away through attrition and what we got was where they fit best in the narrative's scope before the game's structure was finalized.

Salamando

Their original implementation had them absorbing sound, and if they absorbed enough, they'd attack. Their goal was to force you to use quieter weapons/walk and not spring, but then there were issues of playtesters not realizing what was going on...no real way of knowing what the Boys were doing without being told directly in game...and so on.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought their use in the experience was quite weak actually. They were just humanoid security cameras and barely used at that.

At least they looked fucking awesome.

The little crazies with the founding father masks were way more memorable than those things.

Sucks that they were used as promotional material. Never killed one on my first playthrough. Only cool thing about them is that they caught me off guard by pulling a bio 1 on me.

Scratch

Is it actually possible to avoid alerting some of them? Playing on hard it seemed pretty automatic.

on both my hard playthrough and my 1999 playthrough i didn't alert any of them. though i almost did on my 1999 one because i accidently swapped weapons, and i had the ghost ally gear and that thing started shooting at the boy of silence. luckily its aim is abysmal and that the boys of silences are deaf

The dimensional node starts and ends with Booker at the baptism. That's the point where it has to stop.

If Booker's horse dies, then the infinite other Bookers find a way to go on without him, and end up at the baptism anyway. If that preacher is dead, another one will be there to replace him. Same with all the other choices - the Bookers will always end up at the baptism, and will always create PI Booker DeWitt and maniac Zach Comstock. That's why it had to stop at that specific point.
This, is I guess why I find it so confusing. If drowning one Booker -- the one we play as -- solves the issue of any split timelines after the fact. Then surely that's the end of all Bookers henceforth? He can't make the decision to walk away from the baptism because he's drowned just before it. And if you're correct, and every timeline leads to the baptism -- which now leads to certain drowning death -- then he can't go on to have other timelines with Anna as others have suggested.

BioShock Infinite feels like a build your own plot to me. Either because I'm stupid, or the story really isn't as good as everybody thinks it is.

It annoys me how they put "Revenge of the Jedi" in French.

The title would be "Revenge of the Jedi" anywhere in the the world, so I'm guessing they ran into a copyright issue.

sn00zer

This reminds me a lot of HL2's development, tons of prototypes and story pieces that went by the wayside....would really like a book describing all the old stories...basically I want 'Raising the Bar 2' would even be an appropriate title

Dylan

on both my hard playthrough and my 1999 playthrough i didn't alert any of them. though i almost did on my 1999 one because i accidently swapped weapons, and i had the ghost ally gear and that thing started shooting at the boy of silence. luckily its aim is abysmal and that the boys of silences are deaf

Shooting them does nothing. I thought I was supposed to snipe them from a distance but I kept hitting them and they would never die, so I just ran at them to get it over with.

B33

Banned
It annoys me how they put "Revenge of the Jedi" in French.

The title would be "Revenge of the Jedi" anywhere in the the world, so I'm guessing they ran into a copyright issue.

Not even other universes are immune to the hypersensitivity of The Mouse Lucas Films.

Andrew.

Banned
This reminds me a lot of HL2's development, tons of prototypes and story pieces that went by the wayside....would really like a book describing all the old stories...basically I want 'Raising the Bar 2' would even be an appropriate title

Its called The Art of Bioshock Infinite and its available at your local Amazon.

Scratch

Shooting them does nothing. I thought I was supposed to snipe them from a distance but I kept hitting them and they would never die, so I just ran at them to get it over with.

in that case it's probably due to it scanning over my ghost gun ally. i wasn't sure if it looked at my gun because of the shooting or it just happened to scan in that particular direction. either way, my cover was almost blown by my carelessness :p

Snapped mine up the other day. Was just looking through the BioShock 2: Deco Devolution book yesterday. I love a good art book I do.

Probably that ;)
Entirely possible.

So, guys... I don't think the Songbird sound on BioShock 1 was intentional because Ken didn't have all planned out from day one. Except that part he did. But it's unlikely.

https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/318940801218523137
Shock...

But really, that was just people trying far to hard to find something where there was nothing.

B33

Banned

What Andrew said.

BOOM!

But I would also like to hear a post-mortem of the game on Irrational's currently dormant podcast.

It's a shame Geoff Keighley didn't pen a "The Final Hours of..." feature on Infinite, much like he did for Half-Life 2 and Portal 2. Missed opportunity, man.

saunderez

Unlike the first Bioshock, I think Bioshock Infinite would make a great movie.
It would, the silent protagonist in the original wouldn't have made for a very engaging movie, he's basically just talking to people on a radio the whole game. Elizabeth would translate much better.

Could the post credit scene be interpreted in two ways?

1) because the game's event is a paradox, the events repeat themselves tryingto correct the paradox or...

2) booker who doesn't accept baptism creates timeline where both he and anna exist.

Kinda both. The universe itself corrects the paradox by wiping out the possibility of Booker accepting the baptism.

Could the post credit scene be interpreted in two ways?

1) because the game's event is a paradox, the events repeat themselves tryingto correct the paradox or...

2) booker who doesn't accept baptism creates timeline where both he and anna exist.
As I questioned just above, and hope for an answer soon as my brain hurts. How can Booker reject the baptism of he's drowned just before he gets to make the decision? It seems, according to some, that all roads lead to the baptism choice. If so, then surely all Bookers are dead?

sn00zer

Oh god damn it
31KZgnr.jpg

EDIT and this...although I did see this one and forgot about it
KeKshmw.jpg

As I questioned just above, and hope for an answer soon as my brain hurts. How can Booker reject the baptism of he's drowned just before he gets to make the decision? It seems, according to some, that all roads lead to the baptism choice. If so, then surely all Bookers are dead?

Booker is drowned after accepting but before he fully becomes Comstock. He's basically both Booker and Comstock when Liz kills him.

sdornan

I feel like you'd have to establish the "formula" with the first movie for all of the shit at the end to make sense.
Nah, I don't think you'd have to - the imagery of Rapture is awe-inspiring and intriguing as hell whether you're familiar with it or not. Even "a man, a lighthouse, a city" makes sense solely within the context of Infinite.

I picked up the Bioshock 1 and 2 pack at Best Buy today for $30. I hate all the backtracking but the style is so impressive its not enough of a pain for me to give up on it. I look forward to observing all the parallels between the two universes.

beastmode

in that case, i have a couple of questions:

1) do you agree with killing the child as part of the revolutionary movement?

2) do you agree with "smothering Comstock while he's in the crib" as the correct method of getting rid of Comstock?

don't take these as snarky attacks; i'm actually curious.
1. No
2. False dillemma

B33

Banned
Oh god damn it
31KZgnr.jpg

EDIT and this...although I did see this one and forgot about it
KeKshmw.jpg

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Unlike the first Bioshock, I think Bioshock Infinite would make a great movie.

Its setting, impetus, and characters are more accessible, but its ending absolutely is not.

It'd take an ambitious filmmaker willing to pour a lot of vitriol into the process and spend years working for just a mote of renumeration, but I suppose it could happen.

I just don't see how they'd be able to squeeze Columbia and its denizens into a modestly budgeted R-rated flick. There's no way any rational person would try to make this PG-13, and not studio head would okay the film with anything more than a $30-$40 million budget.

Which is the same thing that proved to be deleterious for the first proposed film adaptation of BioShock.

Although Ken Levine claimed that in this sojourn post-Infinite, he was mulling over trying to rewrite the film's script himself. Perhaps something will come out of that?

sn00zer

Shit another...getting these from the Bioshock subreddit

"Bioshock I starts in an airplane and then takes place in the ocean, where as in Infinite, it starts in a boat and then takes place in the sky. Kinda like a yin and yang relationship."

EDIT: and a good comparison that proves the Infinite time line is after the original game http://imgur.com/a/gllDv

LiK

Shit another...getting these from the Bioshock subreddit

"Bioshock I starts in an airplane and then takes place in the ocean, where as in Infinite, it starts in a boat and then takes place in the sky. Kinda like a yin and yang relationship."

Levine is too good.

Booker is drowned after accepting but before he fully becomes Comstock. He's basically both Booker and Comstock when Liz kills him.
If that's so then that makes sense to me. But I don't recall any part of the game where you accept the baptism and are subsequently drowned. I remember him saying "I'm both". But it hadn't shown Booker accept the baptism. So presumably it was just implied?

Honestly, I had taken the "I'm both" quote to simply be Booker realizing that he could turn out to be either. But, at this point I can't remember the entire ending so perhaps they explained he had at that point accepted baptism and was then drowned.

Yeah I was going to add a third question. How do we even know he would ever reject baptism (he always flipped heads didn't he?)? How do we know the choice is a variable and not a constant?

I mean, if the choice is a variable and the only reason he would reject baptism as he did in the end is because of Liz's interference. But if Liz cease's to exist then how can he make a choice to reject?

#overthinkingshit
Our pitiful brains...

sdornan

Its setting, impetus, and characters are more accessible, but its ending absolutely is not.

It'd take an ambitious filmmaker willing to pour a lot of vitriol into the process and spend years working for just a mote of renumeration, but I suppose it could happen.

I just don't see how they'd be able to squeeze Columbia and its denizens into a modestly budgeted R-rated flick. There's no way any rational person would try to make this PG-13, and not studio head would okay the film with anything more than a $30-$40 million budget.

Which is the same thing that proved to be deleterious for the first proposed film adaptation of BioShock.

Although Ken Levine claimed that in this sojourn post-Infinite, he was mulling over trying to rewrite the film's script himself. Perhaps something will come out of that?
I would've said the same thing pre-Inception.

Yeah I was going to add a third question. How do we even know he would ever reject baptism (he always flipped heads didn't he?)? How do we know the choice is a variable and not a constant?

I mean, if the choice is a variable and the only reason he would reject baptism as he did in the end is because of Liz's interference. But if Liz cease's to exist then how can he make a choice to reject?

#overthinkingshit

The Booker you play in the game is one that rejected baptism. Bookers that reject end up becoming gambling drunks that sell their daughters (Anna) to Comstocks from other dimensions.

If that's so then that makes sense to me. But I don't recall any part of the game where you accept the baptism and are subsequently drowned. I remember him saying "I'm both". But it hadn't shown Booker accept the baptism. So presumably it was just implied?

After returning to the baptism a second time, I believe it was implied by 1. the priest finishing his speech and 2. different circumstances, Liz says "in some cases, you didn't (reject)" (paraphrase) and the other people are gone.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ok, finished the game, after barely playing Bioshock 1 and nothing of Bioshock 2.

Lesson Learned: Don't sell Daughter to Redheads.

After returning to the baptism a second time, I believe it was implied by 1. the priest finishing his speech and 2. different circumstances, Liz says "in some cases, you didn't (reject)" (paraphrase) and the other people are gone.
Makes sense I suppose. I'll rewatch on YouTube or something.

Top Bottom