• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Lakitu

st5fu
So any tips on the get drunk and kill 5 enemies achievement? Is there a specific part in the game where I can get boozed up and kill a bunch of idiots?

LiK

So any tips on the get drunk and kill 5 enemies achievement? Is there a specific part in the game where I can get boozed up and kill a bunch of idiots?

Graveyard Shift bar
go in start a fight and drink the alcohol there to get drunk. Shoot them all. Restart checkpoint if you didn't get enough. The kills stack.

When you get to
shantytown there will be a bar with a bunch of people and liquor. Piss them off by stealing or posessing the vending machine, drink away and kill. You get a checkpoint as you enter to so you can retry over and over.

Lakitu

st5fu
Graveyard Shift bar
go in start a fight and drink the alcohol there to get drunk. Shoot them all. Restart checkpoint if you didn't get enough. The kills stack.

When you get to
shantytown there will be a bar with a bunch of people and liquor. Piss them off by stealing or posessing the vending machine, drink away and kill. You get a checkpoint as you enter to so you can retry over and over.

Thanks guys! I'll do that tomorrow.

Just got to finish the game on 1999 mode and don't go to a dollar bill vendor then I'll have all the achievements.

Andrew.

Banned

I managed to do it in the building where you get the Crow bigot. There is a bar immediately to the left as soon as you enter. Run behind the bar, chug everything and then go to town. There's at least 3 or 4 baddies there. Shoot, score, reload checkpoint.

Andrew.

Banned
Yea, you get all items in the restaurant where you receive the Shield Vigor

Well the gold skins (+35% damage) are available right from the get go. The first pistol you pick up will be golden and beautiful.

The gears and bonus Infusions have to be got at the Blue Ribbonayse.

Just finished it. What the hell? I guess the ending redeemed the game because up until then it was starting to drag. Not sure if it deserves all the accolades but yeah, interesting.

So, um, I think I'm at the end
defending the airships core from endless waves of enemies
. This battle is really causing me some strife, and tips?

So, um, I think I'm at the end
defending the airships core from endless waves of enemies
. This battle is really causing me some strife, and tips?

I stayed right near behind it and just set Shock traps in front and used Devil's Kiss and Possesion. You can
bring down the Songbird on Patriots right in front of it.

When you get to

Man that is so wrong. Oppressed poor people trying to drown their sorrows. Bars got a lot of pathos in it, have a heart, GAF.

TTG

Coming out of the Shanty town on 1999 mode and there's a spike in the amount of damage the grunts deal out. I've been going for salt upgrades mostly, so I'm feeling it. For whatever reason a single shot will regularly knock off a full shield plus health now. I wonder how the money situation is going to unfold, I've got over 2k now, but I want those charge and undertow upgrades.

Also, playing through it a second time, I'm enjoying the vigors so much more. On the first go around it was mostly vanilla shock jockey and devil's kiss. Now I'm finding a lot of use for bucking bronco(hail fire combo is great), using possession on humans more, and I'm really looking forward to charge and undertow. Murder of crows still hasn't found a regular spot in the rotation.

I realize now on my second playthrough how little attention i put into understanding the voxophones the first time around. The one offs that talk about their situation are meaningful, but the ones that hint at the true nature of the plot simply go right over my head. I hear them, but dont bother to put the pieces together or how they relate to the others. It makes me sad i dont have that type of mind, but at the same time, in this and most media, the reveal or twists are always much more surprising because of how little i bothered to remember the foreshadowing in place. Makes replays or rereads sweeter too.

Grisby

Hey guys. I'm about to start this up and I've never played a Bioshock before.

So...easy, medium, or hard?
Have you played a lot of shooters at all? Medium is pretty piss easy but if you just want to enjoy the story go with that. I imagine hard is just the right spot (I completed it on medium first and 1999 mode second).

Grisby

Yeah, I've played the Halos and (through some crazy miracle) managed to beat Reach on Legendary, so I think I'll go with Hard.

Thank ya.
Yeah man, definitely go for hard. Also, if you want to try 1999 mode you should be good to go. I had way more trouble with Reach on Legendary than BSinfinite.

DatDude

Banned
I realize now on my second playthrough how little attention i put into understanding the voxophones the first time around. The one offs that talk about their situation are meaningful, but the ones that hint at the true nature of the plot simply go right over my head. I hear them, but dont bother to put the pieces together or how they relate to the others. It makes me sad i dont have that type of mind, but at the same time, in this and most media, the reveal or twists are always much more surprising because of how little i bothered to remember the foreshadowing in place. Makes replays or rereads sweeter too.

Yeah the amount of foreshadowing is quite incredible. The amount of white noise audio diaries and dialogue spoken by various characters just seemingly click together like that missing puzzle piece on a second playthrough.

That's one of the things that I most enjoyed about Infinite narrative. The trail is left for you very early on, and if you're attentive enough, you can piece all the clues towards the ending very early on.

Lakitu

st5fu
What tips do people have for 1999 mode? I've just reached Monument Island and it's been a breeze so far. Something tells me it won't stay that way though :(

Ein Bear

What tips do people have for 1999 mode? I've just reached Monument Island and it's been a breeze so far. Something tells me it won't stay that way though :(

I finished my playthrough earlier today, and to be honest didn't really find it very hard at all. Focus on upgrading Murder of Crows, Devil's Kiss and Possession, and stick with a Handcannon/Sniper Rifle weapon combo. Gear-wise, equip Blood to Salt and the one that causes elemental vigors to chain to enemies, and you can clear a room with one well placed trap.

Make sure you pause and reset from checkpoint when you die too, so you don't lose money.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just started playing today. I am so damn addicted now and that's with me being in a a gaming slump as of late. The game really is a work of art. The attention to details. Ken Levine is truly a god.

Desty

Banned
I just started playing today. I am so damn addicted now and that's with me being in a a gaming slump as of late. The game really is a work of art. The attention to details. Ken Levine is truly a god.

So true. It is the first game that I have played that made previous games seem worse.

Lakitu

st5fu
I finished my playthrough earlier today, and to be honest didn't really find it very hard at all. Focus on upgrading Murder of Crows, Devil's Kiss and Possession, and stick with a Handcannon/Sniper Rifle weapon combo. Gear-wise, equip Blood to Salt and the one that causes elemental vigors to chain to enemies, and you can clear a room with one well placed trap.

Make sure you pause and reset from checkpoint when you die too, so you don't lose money.

Thanks for the advice. Going to go on now.

Can't believe this is the 6th playthrough I'm doing. Going to stop for a long while after this lol. Until DLC anyway.

Kind of how I feel. I'm been pretty.... eh, on games lately. I enjoyed MGR, and had a good bit of fun with FC3. But this game was a revelation.

So i've been avoiding Infinite threads like the plague since release because i have yet to finish the game and want to avoid spoilers...

That said, in contrasts to the (positive) posts above, i just can't get into the game.

The first night i played, it was whatever. Nice, good, nothing amazing
walking around the market, not throwing rocks at slaves, etc

The second night i smoked some trees and was BLOWN AWAY
Rescuing Elizabeth from the tower... i spend a good 10 minutes looking at the skyline and wind effects when you exit the tower near the top. Good action, interesting space/time tearing reveal (paris fire truck).

The third night was lack luster
The docks, getting the shock tonic, etc.
It just didn't blow me away like the previous play session.

Granted, there have been significant gaps of time between each of my play session, but I am interested to know if GAF thinks i should put my mind to it and keep going. Does the game open up, does it get bat shit crazy, will my mind be blown again... I am currently on the level
immediately following Elizabeth dumping you and the Vox propositioning you.

As a side note: Two months ago i re-played though System Shock 2 (maybe my 4th playthough since i purchased the game in 99). It kept me captivated the whole way through. Does Infinite simply not stack up, or am i just an old man rooted in nostalgia.

So i've been avoiding Infinite threads like the plague since release because i have yet to finish the game and want to avoid spoilers...

That said, in contrasts to the (positive) posts above, i just can't get into the game.

Rescuing Elizabeth from the tower... i spend a good 10 minutes looking at the skyline and wind effects when you exit the tower near the top. Good action, interesting space/time tearing reveal (paris fire truck).

Granted, there have been significant gaps of time between each of my play session, but I am interested to know if GAF thinks i should put my mind to it and keep going. Does the game open up, does it get bat shit crazy, will my mind be blown again... I am currently on the level

As a side note: Two months ago i re-played though System Shock 2 (maybe my 4th playthough since i purchased the game in 99). It kept me captivated the whole way through. Does Infinite simply not stack up, or am i just an old man rooted in nostalgia.

You're getting close to a major turning point in the game. I'd keep going.

The final part along with the beginning are the best parts of the game so I'd keep at it.

TTG

Is undertow's expensive upgrade strictly for increasing the range on the
grab
ability or will I be able to
hose
people down at a greater range as well?

No spoilers, please, but I do have a question. I've just gotten to the point where (only read this if you've finished the game or don't care about spoilers)
Elizabeth changes into the corset outfit after killing Daisy Fitzroy

My question is: Can someone give me a percentage approximation of how much of the game I've completed already? 60%? 75%? 90%?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hard. All the way as long as you're familiar with FPS'es.

Medium is a joke.

And I actually had a bit of trouble with Medium :(

Doing a 1999 run now though!

Found out this is about
quantum mechanics
, want to buy it now.

I know, it's awesome right? I love when devs do their homework.

No spoilers, please, but I do have a question. I've just gotten to the point where (only read this if you've finished the game or don't care about spoilers)

My question is: Can someone give me a percentage approximation of how much of the game I've completed already? 60%? 75%? 90%?

Hmm... I think 55-60%? You're still missing a lot though! I'd say you have another 5 hours at least of gameplay.

Yeah, the game does have its weak points, but it'll pick soon, keep playing!

DatDude

Banned

Prepare for your mind to be blown again coming up soon. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Our review finally went up. No full score, but instead individual scores and collective opinions from six different people. Quite a diversity of opinions too.

Article art was contributed by my buddy Liam Mills, who loved the game. Made it himself, here's the image, along with a cropped 1920x1080 wallpaper for anybody interested.

bioshockblxsh.png

1920x1080 wallpaper: http://www.abload.de/img/bioshocka9lzn.png

TTG

Finding it hard to finish a second run(this time on 1999 mode). Some encounters feel out of tune. Just got through the stupidly tedious section in Memorial Gardens. Having a boss regain full health after a death... yea not the most well balanced section. Restart a fight with depleted ammo supply(and this boss is a hell of a bullet sponge) and half the health/salt or play through a section of the game again because the checkpoint was a while back? Times like this really exacerbate my frustration with the game over system in this game. You do not implement it this way in a sand box shooter.

So, I get past that and the next encounter is against 3 or 4 grunts... and I die miserably because I try something interesting with the vigors. Because, you see, they have the ability to kill me within 3-5 seconds if I end up in a bad spot. I can go through hordes of these guys intermixed with heavier opponents in other areas, but in a spot like this where they're on all sides, and there's no cutting off the line of sight, you better not try anything. At this point, because they've got repeaters or something, a couple of shots will kill you. Now sit back and relax, there's a loading screen to sit through the length of which is only rivaled by the initial load in a GTA game. Booker Dewitt, death incarnate, felled by a random dude with a machine guy because he charged another guy 10 feet away, ending up with his back turned to the enemy.

Around 60 to 65%

Fucking christ the last battle goes on for fucking EVER.
Did I mention I hate enemy wave/horde mode type game play? There's just too much shit happening at once to keep up. I also feel the mechanic where you direct Songbird was designed for m/kb. I need two right thumbs to track the airships and hold X at the same time. God fucking damn. How many more waves do I have left after the Zeppelins?
Any tips? Ugh. I just want to finish the story.....

IronRinn

Fucking christ the last battle goes on for fucking EVER.
Did I mention I hate enemy wave/horde mode type game play? There's just too much shit happening at once to keep up. I also feel the mechanic where you direct Songbird was designed for m/kb. I need two right thumbs to track the airships and hold X at the same time. God fucking damn. How many more waves do I have left after the Zeppelins?
Any tips? Ugh. I just want to finish the story.....

Put at least 2 or 3 Return to Sender traps on the generator you're trying to protect.

Orcastar

Thanks for the advice. Going to go on now.

Can't believe this is the 6th playthrough I'm doing. Going to stop for a long while after this lol. Until DLC anyway.
You really shouldn't have any trouble in 1999 mode if this is your sixth playthrough. Personally I'd focus on Bucking Bronco instead of Crows and leave Devil's Kiss alone, but to each his own.

Finding it hard to finish a second run(this time on 1999 mode). Some encounters feel out of tune. Just got through the stupidly tedious section in Memorial Gardens. Having a boss regain full health after a death... yea not the most well balanced section. Restart a fight with depleted ammo supply(and this boss is a hell of a bullet sponge) and half the health/salt or play through a section of the game again because the checkpoint was a while back? Times like this really exacerbate my frustration with the game over system in this game. You do not implement it this way in a sand box shooter.

So, I get past that and the next encounter is against 3 or 4 grunts... and I die miserably because I try something interesting with the vigors. Because, you see, they have the ability to kill me within 3-5 seconds if I end up in a bad spot. I can go through hordes of these guys intermixed with heavier opponents in other areas, but in a spot like this where they're on all sides, and there's no cutting off the line of sight, you better not try anything. At this point, because they've got repeaters or something, a couple of shots will kill you. Now sit back and relax, there's a loading screen to sit through the length of which is only rivaled by the initial load in a GTA game. Booker Dewitt, death incarnate, felled by a random dude with a machine guy because he charged another guy 10 feet away, ending up with his back turned to the enemy.
There's a reason why the later parts of the game have encounters where you have little to no cover. That reason is Return to Sender. It makes you impervious to all damage. Use it.

Top Bottom