• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong Previews are coming up

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • it's more Souls-adjacent than Soulslike
  • No XP Lost
  • Enemies respawn when you die (aside from bosses and mini-bosses)
  • Rest points within each location
  • Color-coded gear rarities- You can pause whenever you like
  • Environment design feels more linear
  • Skill tree (give you a significant leg-up)
  • very stern challenge

Blogposts:

Black myth​

Black Myth: Wukong

(Image credit: Game Science)
My demo begins with a monkey hero referred to as the Destined One, Wukong, based on the titular Sun Wukong from Journey to the West, clobbering kobold-like canine warriors in a sun-dappled forest on Black Wind Mountain. Immediately, two of Black Myth: Wukong's strengths come into focus: a fantasy setting that's gone woefully untapped in games, and Unreal Engine 5 graphical voodoo which renders that setting in painstaking detail without hurting frame rate (played on what seemed like a beefy PC).

The problem is that levels are so incredibly detailed that it's frequently unclear which areas are actually explorable, so I ran into loads of invisible walls and dead ends. That said, exploration was pretty minimal because the demo felt more like a boss rush with short sightseeing intermissions. I'm told the full game is more open with several side paths, NPC quests, and secrets, but the world of Black Myth: Wukong doesn't give me a Dark Souls, let alone Elden Ring, kind of vibe. It is, however, a fascinating place.

Inspired by the novel Journey to the West, Black Myth: Wukong revels in the refreshing and curious quirks of Chinese mythology, from shapeshifting shenanigans like turning yourself into a peach or your hair into a stick of incense, to wandering wonders introduced with utmost casualness. It presents a world where such phenomena are common and expected, so much so that they're not even worth a raised eyebrow from the people – the beast people and demons and other Yaoguai – who reside here. Characters of all shapes and sizes bend reality as readily as you or I would make a phone call. It's the best kind of magic: surreal and varied, not just fireballs and lightning bolts. This is an iconic tale rewritten, but Black Myth: Wukong retains the engrossing draw of mysticism made common.

Brief as the demo was, and as frantically as I rushed through it hoping to see as much content as possible, I didn't get the firmest grasp on the story. What impressed and often surprised me more is how Black Myth: Wukong handles combat: with a humble-looking staff in hand, and an arsenal of tricks behind it.

Wukong​

Black Myth Wukong

Out of the box, even with no upgrades on its expansive skill tree, Black Myth: Wukong is kinetically satisfying. Still, it took some getting used to. The dodge feels responsive and forgiving, but for the perfect dodge, it almost seems like you have to dodge when you get hit rather than right before an attack connects. It's like wading into cold water: uncomfortable and a little scary at first, but once you're in, perfect-dodging is actually pretty nice. There's no real parry; it's all dodging all the time. You can at least twirl your staff to deflect some ranged attacks, like a ridiculous rapid-fire arrow salvo from one standard enemy who frankly deserves a promotion.

Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
Contact me with news and offers from other Future brandsReceive email from us on behalf of our trusted partners or sponsors
By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.
Light attacks come out quickly, flow well, and sound terrific – the thwip of your staff catching the air, the woody thunk of pummeling enemies – but heavy attacks are a bit of a misdirect. You don't have heavy attacks in the traditional sense. You have charged attacks and combo breakers which should only be used in certain ways. If you tap the heavy attack normally, you'll get locked into a long animation for a swing that doesn't deal much damage. I got the sense that you aren't supposed to do this at all. Instead, you should hold the heavy button for a moment to build up a charge, then use that charged attack as an opener or gap closer. There's a great tempo to it. A charged attack was enough to one-shot or heavily stun most basic enemies I encountered, so I got a lot of use out of it.

One of the first upgrades I bought – spending skill points which, in not-Soulslike fashion, use XP not lost as a bloodstain on death – was the ability to build a charge while sprinting, almost like the hammer in Monster Hunter. Reader, I did not regret this decision. Granted, I didn't regret any upgrades because you can reset your skill tree whenever, but this is a core ability. I was also quick to improve the speed and distance of my dodge, reduce the stamina cost of dodging and sprinting, and ensure dodging doesn't interrupt my light combo.

Bosses forced me to play differently. I beat the seven or so bosses I encountered (minus a hidden one I can't talk about), which ranged from hulking beasts to nimble spellcasters, and each fight had a distinct rhythm. Some were humanoid and unleashed long weapon combos that forced me to dodge repeatedly. Others were lumbering giants that wield Herculean strength capable of devastating AoE attacks that demand careful positioning.

These were all superbly animated, with clear tells. Even on my first attempt – and I was able to beat several bosses in one attempt, though others took upwards of five because this game does have some bite – I could get a sense of how they'd move and when to dodge. On a personal note, I was relieved to see very few of the absurdly delayed, dodge-baiting attack animations that have infected so many modern action RPGs.

Wukong quickly becomes an impressively agile character, and from the lock-on camera to dodge animations to enemy stagger, the game nails it in the combat. If this was a Soulslike, it would probably be the best one since Lies of P – the best Soulslike ever made, for my money – based on this demo. And we haven't even really gotten to progression.

Monkey business​

From what I saw, there are three skill trees: one for spells (which was unavailable in the demo), one for generalist benefits, and one for three staff fighting styles. I leaned more on the passive bonuses, but I did dabble in staff actions a bit. One upgrade improved the range of my opening light attack, and another gave me a combo breaker heavy attack that spends an energy point accumulated primarily by dealing damage and perfect-dodging attacks. If you have energy, you can also use it to instantly build up a charged attack, which creates an interesting dynamic for how to spend this resource. I preferred using charged attacks when I didn't have energy in the bank, but there are strategies for both.

I've focused on the default fighting style so far, but there are two others which you can swap to at any time
With a few upgrades, I automatically unlocked a second energy slot, and with it, a higher tier of charged attack. I could then acquire a follow-up attack to the aforementioned combo breaker, which hits much harder but requires two points of energy to pull off. Another upgrade that basically eliminates incoming damage during the initial animation made this much easier to land during boss fights, and this heavy combo became my go-to way to spend energy. Open with charged attacks, sneak in light combos, and spend my energy on combo breakers. Energy attacks heal you a little bit, too, which is nice.

I've focused on the default fighting style so far, but there are two others you can swap to at any time using the D-pad, not unlike Ghost of Tsushima. One was hidden in the demo and only unlocked at level 20 anyhow, but I did get to sample the other one, which swaps your charged attacks to a pillar stance. Wukong now uses his staff like a totem pole, sitting calmly at the top while enemies bash the bottom and chip away at your stamina. This stance completely dodges most melee attacks, and you only ascend higher as your staff builds up energy and extends. You can use that stored energy to land heavy slams with much greater reach.

I'm told you can further modify the staff through equippable items (which I never found, crafted, or otherwise saw). Your play style gains additional layers through armor pieces with stat bonuses as well as more interesting set bonuses, all color-coded like most loot games as rares and epics and so on. I found a circlet that let me chug healing gourds while sprinting, and this came in clutch for several fights.

Where the magic happens​

For me, the magic moment was the reveal of the actual magic system. The first spell you get, just minutes into the game (or at least into the demo), is called Immobilize. It freezes enemies, including bosses, in place for a few seconds, and it's every bit as powerful as it sounds. Freeze them, walk behind them so they whiff when they unfreeze, and get in some free hits. One Immobilize is usually enough time to delete any normal enemy or get a full combo in on a boss. This feels like cheating, and you get to do it all the time. It has a long cooldown (50 seconds, I believe), a short duration, and limited use cases - you can't freeze a boss during most attack combos, for example - but we're talking about the ability to freeze time here. This is the first spell in the game! And it doesn't even cost much mana!

There are four slots for spells, and I'm told multiple spells will eventually compete for each slot. It's hard to imagine ever dropping Immobilize, but I'm more flexible when it comes to transformation spells. After beating one early boss, a fire glaive-wielding wolf man named Guangzhi, I unlocked a spell with a very long cooldown that let me assume his form for a limited time. This essentially gives you a second health bar because your transformation has its own HP pool, and 'dying' just pops you back to monkey form. As Guangzhi, you can slice enemies with fast combos that feel weaker than your staff but also apply potent burn damage.

Absorbing damage for free while dealing meaningful damage yourself gives transformation spells powerful utility. Against some bosses, I'd open with Immobilize, immediately transform, set them ablaze while they're still frozen, and usually have Immobilize back off cooldown by the time my transformation was undone. Guangzhi's form felt much clunkier than the Destined One, especially when it comes to dodging, but it's a powerful spell. I can't wait to see what and who else you can turn into, and to figure out which form I want to bring for a fight. Other loadout decisions include which bonus to add to your healing gourd, like curing poison or extra healing.

Black Myth: Wukong is the latest promising action epic to come from China, which has long been dominated by mobile games but is increasingly finding global success and attention on console and PC. It's the most-wishlisted game on Steam and one of the most-hyped games of the year. After playing it for two hours, I'd say its reputation is largely deserved. This is good stuff, maybe even great. Much remains to be seen in the full game, but as a first bite, this demo was delicious - easily one of the best things at SGF.

Videos:

Last edited:
I didn't catch that this is essentially a boss rush game and got my hype shit on. Zero interest in that type of game structure especially with previews mentioning the levels are really same-y.

Was really sceptical when this was first shown, nothing noteworthy has come out of China and it seems they mostly excel at producing cheap clones. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about both this and Phantom Blade 0, genuinely hope they deliver the goods and a new player enters the gaming scene, South Korea has been stepping up big time, China is next.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
From the Chinese creators that played the closed door demo, they are saying one single level contains about 10 unique bosses. Crazy stuff.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah, after these previews I think I'm going to wait for a deep-deep sale. It doesn't look or sound like a game I want to play in this genre, try it, maybe, but I'm not paying full price for that and then ask for a refund, fuck that. It's already clear to me that I probably won't like this game since it's focusing on things no other souls-likes do and it's really not my thing.

I mean, it's all good, I can save money and buy something else, thanfully the last part of the year starting with september has some pretty great stuff.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

mmmh even the with the 4k footage from EA this looks....uh downgraded by quite a bit compared to earlier presentations?

So this game has no block button. At all. You only dodge. The dodge works up to 3 times and then goes on cooldown, so no dodge spamming like in From games. So I guess it's Bloodborne-adjacent because surprise you don't block, period

I guess they decided to just do away with the exploration and traversal and make the game a boss rush game. But if every fight is a boss fight, are they really bosses? I would think they are just a bunch of large regular enemy fights strung end to end. I'm not sure how much fun it is when all you to is run forward, fight a boss, run forward, fight a boss for the entire game. Most games have a variety of gameplay elements for a reason, because only fighting bosses gets monotonous quickly

From a philosophical standpoint, since you only can dodge up to 3 times, that limits every boss in the game to a maximum chained attack string of 3. Because if the boss could attack 4 or more times, and you can only dodge 3, then you can see how that might be a problem. So every one of the 30-40 boss fights in the game will have a boss which can attack up to 3 times in a row, and you dodge 3 times in a row, and then you do something to counter. I don't know but that doesn't sound like it will be much fun after maybe the 5th boss you fight much less the 30th boss which does exactly the same thing

Guess we'll see with this one

Last edited:

GymWolf

How is this a boss rush game when they also have like 100+ trash mobs? I don't get it, do they just use these trash mobs during boss fights?

If there is no exploration and combat between boss fights then the hype goes down considerably.

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

Neo Member
  1. Based on the current questions about boss-rush games, I suspect that there are a lot of people in this submarine who have not watched the past gameplay videos. I am referring to the two small levels shown in the Cologne and Hangzhou offline demo, namely Fright Cliff and Purple Cloud Mountain. These videos include exploration, quests, plots and puzzles. So I can say with certainty that BM: W is not a boss-rush game. I put the links to the gameplay videos of these two small levels below for people to review:

2. Each invitee of this closed-door trial only has two hours to play. Most of the invitees, of course, prefer to focus on how to defeat bosses one after another faster and pass the level in a limited time. In addition, all invitees signed an NDA, which basically prohibits the disclosure of all information other than the designated video content, such as the names of bosses, NPC names, plot narratives, tasks and growth systems. I think these NDA restrictions give many people the illusion of a boss-rush game.

3. Invitees are prohibited from recording any videos privately in this event. Each media or creator can only use the videos provided by the developer as materials when making report videos. That is, the flame werewolf, frog, golden big-headed baby and black bear demon we see. At present, there are 11 confirmed bosses in the Black Wind Mountain level, including mini bosses, bosses and hidden bosses. These hidden bosses require specific tasks and conditions to trigger.

4. The "Black Wind Mountain" in this offline demo is just a level as a starting point for novices, and it has been confirmed that some unknown systems have not been implemented. Many creators mentioned that the "Black Wind Mountain" level is small in scale, which belongs to a wide-linear and semi-open map. Some people think that there are not enough elements to explore in this level, but some people think that it is enough. In addition, the Unreal 5 engine technology brings ultra-high-quality graphics and dense vegetation. Many creators said that it looks like being in a real mountain forest rather than a game level. In addition, the novice guide of this level does not seem to be very much, and many players got lost during the game.

5. Most people are surprised to set up so many bosses in a novice level like "Black Wind Mountain". Because the art resources and enemy action resources prepared by Game Science for us have indeed reached a luxurious bottom. (The rumor about 81 bosses and 160 enemies may be true.) Almost every mini-BOSS and BOSS has different types, models and attack modules. Except for the blue and gold big-headed baby, because there is some connection between the two in the plot. In addition, many invitees mentioned that the bosses of the "Black Wind Mountain" level are a bit too dense, which may affect the player's game rhythm. Although fighting with different bosses continuously makes people feel excited and always full of freshness. But if the game rhythm is always at a climax, it is equivalent to no climax, which may also make players feel tired.

6. Regarding the difficulty of the game, most of the invitees said that BM: W has a certain degree of difficulty, but it is not as difficult as traditional Souls-like games. BM: W and Souls-like games are completely different in terms of combat systems. BM: W encourages players to make full use of various stick moves, spells, transformations and other abilities to fight more aggressively, rather than the more cautious and defensive combat rhythm of Souls-like games. This means that if you only rely on the ideas and experience learned from Souls-like games to fight in BM: W, you will be beaten badly by your enemies. In addition, I think it is inaccurate to say that WuKong has no means of defense and blocking. In addition to the spell that turns your skin into stone, there are many abilities that we don’t know about. Further, we already know that there are three stances available: smash, pillar and thrust. Among them, smash stance has the ability to counterattack defensively in an instant. You can activate this technique when you have enough focus point and press the heavy attack button at the moment when the enemy attacks you. That sounds a bit similar to the GP technique in Monster Hunter. Currently, Chinese players call this technique "棍反", which means "staff counterattack". I think this technique is also a kind of defensive ability, and will be used frequently in the game.

7. Finally, I want to say that the biggest advantage of Game Science developers lies in art design and story plot. Because the art style of art director YangQi and the story script of CEO FengJi will never let me down. The most difficult part of combat and action system is already perfect and stable enough, and they have crossed the most difficult obstacles. So, in the end, only the difficulty of level design remains. But not every game developer can be as good as From Software in the field of level design, which itself requires a lot of experience. Game Science is still too young, and BM: W is their first AAA-level game. It is unfair to ask them to be perfect in every field. By the way, the staff of Game Science has admitted that the purpose of this closed-door trial is to listen to more players' opinions before the release. Each invitee filled out a detailed questionnaire, and Game Science has collected suggestions and opinions from all invitees. I believe they can better optimize these level design problems in the last two months.

Anyway, keep calm, keep expect and keep respect. I always believe the magical monkey will not let us down!🍾

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They seem desperate to say this isn't a soulslike - when it's clearly a fucking soulslike.

And have to say, if this is just a few small areas with a couple of smaller branching paths, leading to a boss every time, I doubt I'll be getting it. That sounds hideously repetitive after you've got past the nice graphics.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I didn't catch that this is essentially a boss rush game and got my hype shit on. Zero interest in that type of game structure especially with previews mentioning the levels are really same-y.
Yeah, I am not into Boss Rush games, but for folks who like that stuff the game seems it’s going to be pretty good.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
  1. Based on the current questions about boss-rush games, I suspect that there are a lot of people in this submarine who have not watched the past gameplay videos. I am referring to the two small levels shown in the Cologne and Hangzhou offline demo, namely Fright Cliff and Purple Cloud Mountain. These videos include exploration, quests, plots and puzzles. So I can say with certainty that BM: W is not a boss-rush game. I put the links to the gameplay videos of these two small levels below for people to review:

2. Each invitee of this closed-door trial only has two hours to play. Most of the invitees, of course, prefer to focus on how to defeat bosses one after another faster and pass the level in a limited time. In addition, all invitees signed an NDA, which basically prohibits the disclosure of all information other than the designated video content, such as the names of bosses, NPC names, plot narratives, tasks and growth systems. I think these NDA restrictions give many people the illusion of a boss-rush game.

3. Invitees are prohibited from recording any videos privately in this event. Each media or creator can only use the videos provided by the developer as materials when making report videos. That is, the flame werewolf, frog, golden big-headed baby and black bear demon we see. At present, there are 11 confirmed bosses in the Black Wind Mountain level, including mini bosses, bosses and hidden bosses. These hidden bosses require specific tasks and conditions to trigger.

4. The "Black Wind Mountain" in this offline demo is just a level as a starting point for novices, and it has been confirmed that some unknown systems have not been implemented. Many creators mentioned that the "Black Wind Mountain" level is small in scale, which belongs to a wide-linear and semi-open map. Some people think that there are not enough elements to explore in this level, but some people think that it is enough. In addition, the Unreal 5 engine technology brings ultra-high-quality graphics and dense vegetation. Many creators said that it looks like being in a real mountain forest rather than a game level. In addition, the novice guide of this level does not seem to be very much, and many players got lost during the game.

5. Most people are surprised to set up so many bosses in a novice level like "Black Wind Mountain". Because the art resources and enemy action resources prepared by Game Science for us have indeed reached a luxurious bottom. (The rumor about 81 bosses and 160 enemies may be true.) Almost every mini-BOSS and BOSS has different types, models and attack modules. Except for the blue and gold big-headed baby, because there is some connection between the two in the plot. In addition, many invitees mentioned that the bosses of the "Black Wind Mountain" level are a bit too dense, which may affect the player's game rhythm. Although fighting with different bosses continuously makes people feel excited and always full of freshness. But if the game rhythm is always at a climax, it is equivalent to no climax, which may also make players feel tired.

6. Regarding the difficulty of the game, most of the invitees said that BM: W has a certain degree of difficulty, but it is not as difficult as traditional Souls-like games. BM: W and Souls-like games are completely different in terms of combat systems. BM: W encourages players to make full use of various stick moves, spells, transformations and other abilities to fight more aggressively, rather than the more cautious and defensive combat rhythm of Souls-like games. This means that if you only rely on the ideas and experience learned from Souls-like games to fight in BM: W, you will be beaten badly by your enemies. In addition, I think it is inaccurate to say that WuKong has no means of defense and blocking. In addition to the spell that turns your skin into stone, there are many abilities that we don’t know about. Further, we already know that there are three stances available: smash, pillar and thrust. Among them, smash stance has the ability to counterattack defensively in an instant. You can activate this technique when you have enough focus point and press the heavy attack button at the moment when the enemy attacks you. That sounds a bit similar to the GP technique in Monster Hunter. Currently, Chinese players call this technique "棍反", which means "staff counterattack". I think this technique is also a kind of defensive ability, and will be used frequently in the game.

7. Finally, I want to say that the biggest advantage of Game Science developers lies in art design and story plot. Because the art style of art director YangQi and the story script of CEO FengJi will never let me down. The most difficult part of combat and action system is already perfect and stable enough, and they have crossed the most difficult obstacles. So, in the end, only the difficulty of level design remains. But not every game developer can be as good as From Software in the field of level design, which itself requires a lot of experience. Game Science is still too young, and BM: W is their first AAA-level game. It is unfair to ask them to be perfect in every field. By the way, the staff of Game Science has admitted that the purpose of this closed-door trial is to listen to more players' opinions before the release. Each invitee filled out a detailed questionnaire, and Game Science has collected suggestions and opinions from all invitees. I believe they can better optimize these level design problems in the last two months.

Anyway, keep calm, keep expect and keep respect. I always believe the magical monkey will not let us down!🍾

#1 on that list says it’s not a boss rush game, but most attendee’s footage focused on bosses. That’s a good thing.

Know the refund policies for each platform before purchase. Lol

Last edited:

Astray

Was really sceptical when this was first shown, nothing noteworthy has come out of China and it seems they mostly excel at producing cheap clones. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about both this and Phantom Blade 0, genuinely hope they deliver the goods and a new player enters the gaming scene, South Korea has been stepping up big time, China is next.
There's a surprising amount of good stuff coming out of China/Taiwan for years now.

It's just reached the level where it's noticeable by normies.

Random GAF user claims it's a "boss rush" game, bunch of other GAF users take that as gospel instead of actually digging into the previews themselves to get the facts. Third bullet point is the OP is literally:

Enemies respawn when you die (aside from bosses and mini-bosses)

Hmmm, I wonder what *enemies aside from bosses* could mean?? Never change GAF (this isn't a boss rush game lmao).

Buggy Loop

Super interested in this. I didn't think the early shots of the game would become anything all those years ago to be honest, like a vaporware, glad to see it pretty much delivered and nails the gameplay.

If it reviews well, I'm so in.

Reactions: GHG

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
No, it's just stating facts

Maybe we should change the definition of boss rush, then.

A game with side quests, exp, a progression system, a linear map with branching paths, minions, sub-bosses, STEALTH... is not a boss rush. Why the hell is there stealth in a boss rush? It makes zero sense.

There isn't a single fact that points to a boss rush unless all the action games with short missions and simple map layouts became that overnight.

Souls adjacent and you can pause makes me more interested in this game. I thought I was going to pass on this game cause I never finish souls games.
I wanna see for myself what the difficulty is like or if there's options to tone it down.

Fake

I wonder how IGN preview is doing after that terrible article.

I feel sorry for Digital Foundry.

Buggy Loop

Maybe we should change the definition of boss rush, then.

A game with side quests, exp, a progression system, a linear map with branching paths, minions, sub-bosses, STEALTH... is not a boss rush. Why the hell is there stealth in a boss rush? It makes zero sense.

There isn't a single fact that points to a boss rush unless all the action games with short missions and simple map layouts became that overnight.

But then there's no DRAMAAAA

Sassy Drama Queen GIF

Asia is stepping up in a big way! So glad Sony put so much money and time into the China Joy Project. India is next. We'll be seeing Indian games on this level by 2030. And after that is Africa.
It blows my mind that some people dismiss all these games and just consider Sony's first party games the ones they like.
How do you hate every 3rd person action game from the East but the ones from the West are your favorite games? . . .

If this is a boss rush game then count me out.
Then count me in. I can see why you are out though, they didn't really show much of the game, so the impression that the bosses give is more they'd be highlights of the combat and not the whole game (or majority).

As someone who really like Journey to the West, then that makes me happy because I want to see how many of Sun Wukong enemies they can fit on it, especially Buddha.

Ultra Donny

I'm looking at a preview and it looks downgraded. It doesn't look bad but not impressive either.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Last edited:
Pre-orders are selling like gangbusters in CN:
Demand for Black Myth Wukong has been extremely high in China since pre-orders went live on June 7. Here is a quick breakdown:

- The title was the #1 best selling game on Steam in China by revenue for the week ending June 11. This was for the standard pre-order version. The high amount of pre-orders in China also led it to becoming the #1 best selling game globally on Steam, despite only ranking at #42 in the US and lower in other major markets.
- The first round of physical pre-orders for the Deluxe and Collectors edition went live on June 10 and sold out within seconds. The Deluxe edition ($113) was limited to 20k units and the collectors edition ($276) was limited to 10k units. More than 700,000 people registered interest in buying the game via e-commerce platform JD.

- The second round of physical pre-orders also went live today on June 17 and sold out. This second round also received more than 700,000 registrations.

- Due to the high demand and limited supply, we've already seen resale listings on third party websites that are up to 10x the price in some cases.

Top Bottom