• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong Previews are coming up

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do people define something like Sekiro as a "boss rush" game then?

And in all seriousness, the highlights of the souls/souls-like genre are the boss fights, don't get it twisted.

Either way, keeping a close eye on this, it sounds very promising.
If that’s the case then Castlevania, Mega Man, and most side scrollers are boss rush games. Wouldn’t people not see the Boss Rush modes in those games didn’t include the actual levels? It’s giving little merit to the smaller enemies or larger enemy types that make up the game what it is. If someone told me this I’d assume they’re just irritated at video games or they strongly dislike a game type.

Thief1987

And in all seriousness, the highlights of the souls/souls-like genre are the boss fights, don't get it twisted.

Exploration and intricate level design is a big part of the soulslike subgenre, as big as bossfights I would say, and most of the bossfights in souls games is garbage anyway, so I don't know how it can be "highlight" of anything.

Surprised Fire GIF

Geez. I take it all back!

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

They are not the only highlights, especially when we talk about Bloodborne, DS3 and Demon's/Remake, or Elden Ring.
One of the biggest highlights are also the areas you explore. These games have so much atmosphere it's easy to get sucked-in, versus a lot of other games. The bosses are like the icing on the cake.

I feel if the areas aren't interesting, why would you explore and find a boss in the first place? I feel both are intertwined and From has been excellent at getting us interested in their scenery and bosses. You want boss rush? The Chalices in BB are like a real boss rush, especially if you know the configurations and how they work. You just open levers until that one main door opens, but sometimes the Chalices get deep and you have to do some fucking running around in order to get that Main Door open.

Ogbert

I just worry about performance.

It’s not going to look anything like those previews when it releases.

GymWolf

They are not the only highlights, especially when we talk about Bloodborne, DS3 and Demon's/Remake, or Elden Ring.
One of the biggest highlights are also the areas you explore. These games have so much atmosphere it's easy to get sucked-in, versus a lot of other games. The bosses are like the icing on the cake.

I feel if the areas aren't interesting, why would you explore and find a boss in the first place? I feel both are intertwined and From has been excellent at getting us interested in their scenery and bosses. You want boss rush? The Chalices in BB are like a real boss rush, especially if you know the configurations and how they work. You just open levers until that one main door opens, but sometimes the Chalices get deep and you have to do some fucking running around in order to get that Main Door open.
This.

Bosses (some of them) are one of the highlights, hardly the only one.

Last edited:

GHG

I didn't say they were the only highlight.

I specifically referenced Sekiro for a reason (since structurally this looks the most similar to that) they even added a boss rush mode for that game post launch.

Exploration and intricate level design is a big part of the soulslike subgenre, as big as bossfights I would say, and most of the bossfights in souls games is garbage anyway, so I don't know how it can be "highlight" of anything.

No.

If that’s the case then Castlevania, Mega Man, and most side scrollers are boss rush games. Wouldn’t people not see the Boss Rush modes in those games didn’t include the actual levels? It’s giving little merit to the smaller enemies or larger enemy types that make up the game what it is. If someone told me this I’d assume they’re just irritated at video games or they strongly dislike a game type.

This game also has smaller enemies and levels, people who see/say "boss rush" are being purposefully reductive at this point, no other way to put it:

That said, exploration was pretty minimal because the demo felt more like a boss rush with short sightseeing intermissions. I'm told the full game is more open with several side paths, NPC quests, and secrets, but the world of Black Myth: Wukong doesn't give me a Dark Souls, let alone Elden Ring, kind of vibe. It is, however, a fascinating place.

If it were actually a boss rush game then it would be structured more like Furi (which incidentally is also one of my favourite games), but it's not.

Top Bottom