• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

Killzone Shadowfall is kind of hot rotting garbage in a pretty box. As pretty as it is, it doesn't cover up the stink. Even the worst Call of Duty games don't touch that level of being a bad game. There's only one good first party published title so far from Sony sadly and it's not retail. KZ:SF is just bad. Knack is average with some redeeming qualities. Infamous is average. Resogun is good but not great. Good for Sony though in managing to get people hyped up over something that doesn't really have a defining exclusive yet. Though, I expect there won't be a defining exclusive released til the middle part of next year anyway.

kitzkozan

Wow, KZ numbers are pathethic. Maybe they'll add it to IGC for ps4 this e3 to boost the numbers.

Nah, Killzone has never taken off as far as being a popular / mainstream IP. Even if Killzone 2 is considered the best multiplayer experience of the franchise, it must of been absolutely crushed in terms of online activity by the popular FPS of it's time such as Halo 3, Gears of War 2, TF 2, COD 4 / World at War, etc.

It's no surprise that Shadow Fall isn't popular and quite frankly it doesn't really have to be. Given the crowded FPS market (Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Gears, Counter Strike, etc), it's obvious that most shooters will end up being niche or with a low population. The best thing that can be said about the franchise lasting power is that multiplayer for Killzone 2 & 3 is active while Resistance = dead. :p

SF sold way more copies than blops2 on wii u if sales is what you're basing popularity on.

It shouldn't be. KZ:SF was a first party launch game for a new console, so yes a lot of people bought it. I'm sure a number of people enjoyed it and kept playing online, but personally me and everyone I know beat the SP and played maybe an hour or so of MP before never touching it again. Again I'm sure some people do play online and enjoy it, and I'm not saying the MP is bad in anyway, I thought the game was decent. But I don't think sales numbers, especially on a launch title can really judge popularity of MP. I think the current MP numbers do that.

I personally hope they make another Killzone. They have really good ideas, classes and game modes. IMO battlefield and COD never really seem to evolve its more of the same. ShadowFall was clearly rushed as a launch game but it fixes all the mistakes that were in KZ2 which is good enough for me.

HF2014

Planning to maybe get it on Wii U, need a COD, and dont want to touch ghost. Online, is there still around 1500-2000 players online??? I can get it for like 20 bucks brand new.

SmokeMaxX

Planning to maybe get it on Wii U, need a COD, and dont want to touch ghost. Online, is there still around 1500-2000 players online??? I can get it for like 20 bucks brand new.

Community has been pretty stable. It should be in the 1000-2000 concurrent players range IIRC.

Killzone Shadowfall is kind of hot rotting garbage in a pretty box. As pretty as it is, it doesn't cover up the stink. Even the worst Call of Duty games don't touch that level of being a bad game. There's only one good first party published title so far from Sony sadly and it's not retail. KZ:SF is just bad. Knack is average with some redeeming qualities. Infamous is average. Resogun is good but not great. Good for Sony though in managing to get people hyped up over something that doesn't really have a defining exclusive yet. Though, I expect there won't be a defining exclusive released til the middle part of next year anyway.

What thread am I in? I thought the title might be a trap. ... What does every PS4 exclusive you rip have to do with the number of people playing COD on WiiU?

Percy

Banned
What thread am I in? I thought the title might be a trap. ... What does every PS4 exclusive you rip have to do with the number of people playing COD on WiiU?

Some of the Nintendo fans on GAF seem to have a fairly unhealthy emotional investment in Sony made games from what I've seen in my short time here, lol... The random tangent you quoted seems fairly par for the course I'd have thought.

Mechazawa

Oh man, if that's peak hours in Killzone, that means Monster Hunter 3 has it beat too.

Monster Hunter is kind of crazy people, though.

chemicals

As others have said, nintendo and sonys networks probably arent even going off the same metric... But again this is all regional, so all that means is that your geographical area has more fruitcakes playing blops 2 on wiiu.. So really, not true.

Tripon

As others have said, nintendo and sonys networks probably arent even going off the same metric... But again this is all regional, so all that means is that your geographical area has more fruitcakes playing blops 2 on wiiu.. So really, not true.

Fruitcakes? Really?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I got this on clearance at TRU the other day, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Figured it'd be the best way to scratch the occasional COD itch since I refuse to pay for XBL anymore. Not sure if I should dare try Wiimote controls.

chemicals

Killzone SF is pretty bad. Hope they give KZ the rest it deserves. KZ 1&2 are amazing. 3& SF are the GoW Judgment of this series.

kz2 was good.. kz1 was a chore. but really i'm waiting for a dev to step up and take second place. Sony can't expect Naughty Dog to keep blowing every other dev out the water.. Maybe it will even be "destiny" that does it for ps4.. Not sure what will happen.

by the way: GowJudgement isn't a bad game. I really liked it.

rpmurphy

I got this on clearance at TRU the other day, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Figured it'd be the best way to scratch the occasional COD itch since I refuse to pay for XBL anymore. Not sure if I should dare try Wiimote controls.
Wiimote controls take a good amount of tweaking because getting a good set of settings is based on personal preferences. You would want to spend a little amount of time in an AI game before hopping on, but you can adjust it anytime in-game.

What is Ghosts on Wii U and PS4 like?

It's $19.99 for PS3/X360, $29.99 for PS4/X1/WU.

Didn't really enjoy it on the Wii U. I don't know if there was much difference as far as the gameplay and such. Just felt really bland and not as fun as Blops 2. Hated how big the maps were.

Scoops

Banned

There's nothing wrong with the WiiU version, but in general Ghosts is one of the lesser CoD's. Certainly worse then MW/WaW/MW2/Blops/Blops2. Might be on par with MW3 but that ain't saying much.

If you're good with TDM or Free for All, you'll be fine.

judging by the amount of Shadow Fall used copies for sale at gamestop... this isn't too far fetched

another thing about low player lobbies in online games... As Long as I join a game when i press join who cares how many people are playing? Honestly it doesn't matter one bit.. And it can feel more like a community on a small player count since you'll keep popping in games with familiar names

I have BOs 2 on Wii U. I still play from time to time short sessions and I always have a lot of fun, plays great, looks good enough. Not getting Ghosts, maybe ultra cheap for SP but now I have a PS4 but might still pick it up on Wii U for wiimote controls.

I only played KZ2 and I loved the SP, but the MP was kind of weird, hard to explain, it is missing something. I suppose the same thing is happening with KZ SF, CoD and BF4 take most of the MP audience on PS4/XB1. Other FPS games other than BF4 and CoD need a great SP or do something different on the MP side. Let´s see how evolve does, I think it is a cool concept but I will not be playing that.

It will also be interesting to see how Splattoon does for the Wii U.

DirtyLarry

I only tried the MP in Killzone twice, and I have to say I felt it ran like ass. Seemed incredibly janky is the simplest way I can describe it, just not smooth at all.
And honestly that is why I never tried it again.
Something just felt really off.

And before people jump down my throat let me just share:
I have been a PC gamer for 12 years now.
I have spent an insane amount of hours playing First Person Shooters specifically.
I also have owned pretty much every home console known to man since 1980.
My point for sharing my 40 years of gaming history is to hopefully show I am not a loyalist of any gaming platform. I use them all.
I just call things how I see them, and to me, Shadow Fall's MP just seemed off.

If you're good with TDM or Free for All, you'll be fine.

As far as objective modes go, one will never have trouble finding a domination match. It's the only mode I play anymore actually. I think demolition should be fine as well even if it's not as populated.

Raonak

Banned
It sucks that both this, and Starhawk have free MP maps, but both havent really gained much traction online.

I feel kind of bad for the devs. To see so few people using the multiplayer they probably worked on for a long time. It's a pretty saturated market they're trying to compete with, and it looks like they're the BlackBerry of shooters.

Shame. Shadow Fall has some fantastic multiplayer. Guerrilla did a fantastic job with it. But it requires skill and teamwork more than many other shooters out there and definitely turns people off. Damn shame.

zychi

Banned
I'm def part of the problem. I've played every COD on one platform or another. Played the shit out of KZ2 mp, havent touched any other KZ game or any SP content from the series at all.

Kade

Shame. Shadow Fall has some fantastic multiplayer. But it requires skill and teamwork more than many other shooters out there and definitely turns people off. Damn shame.

Requires the same amount of skill as any other small to medium scale class based multiplayer shooter since it mostly has the same actions and goals. It's still no Counter-Strike or classic Rainbow Six.

Jigolo

I've always thought those KZ numbers were bullshit for some reason. Even at launch they were unusually low.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Gorillaz

It needs to be on PS+, MP wise.

Killzone has a "stench" to it since that whole "halo killer" thing a few years back. The name is too damaged at this point

Dont know if it has been said but the shot from KZ SF is not all online players. That's only the players playing the featured warzone; as you can see above it says Browse Warzones which will show more players.

Granted the featured warzones are where most play.

Edit: just noticed the date of OP, woops.

jholmes

It's good on Wii U, nothing much by way of specific features except that it supports Wii remotes, which some people love. It has exactly one piece of DLC though, which really sucks, especially given that Extinction is really fun but very bare bones on disc. Last I was playing it routinely had 2,000 people on at any given time so it's not like it's a ghost town either.

I've said it before, but Sony needs to release the multiplayer section of the game as free to play like how they did with Uncharted 3's multiplayer. Every PS4 owner who doesn't own the game would, at the very least, try it, and it would make a huge difference in the number of players. Otherwise Shadow Fall is going to keep declining until nobody is playing.

Although, the whole game on PS+ would work as well.

lupinko

Really? I remember one time being told by my dev pals that WiiU COD numbers were so low they shouldn't even be counted.

If that's the case then Guerrilla really messed up with Shadowfall pretty bad.

It needs to be on PS+, MP wise.

Killzone has a "stench" to it since that whole "halo killer" thing a few years back. The name is too damaged at this point

Blame the media for "halo killer." Who labeled Killzone a "Halo Killer?" It wasn't Guerilla, it wasn't Sony, hell, Guerilla even said with Killzone 2 that they don't want to be labeled "anything killer." The media came up with the Halo Killer moniker.

This is what I found, even Destructed pointed to the media labeling it that, and Guerilla tried to avoid that...but people still bring it up as if the devs were advertising it as that...

http://www.destructoid.com/guerrilla-don-t-call-killzone-2-a-halo-killer--129598.phtml

HF2014

Free multiplayer might have something to do with it

Yop!!!

Well for me it is!! 2 days ago, my ps+ membership expired. Use it most on the time on ps3, and now i got the ps4. I tried tonight, well i have try to but was not able, killzone shadow fall multiplayer. PS plus now gently required on ps4 that it must be activate if u want to game online.

So i come to a decision. Pay again for 50$, and get back as usual, but no wait, not usual, its required now, that you pay if u want to game online.Or. Invest money on games on wii u that i will be able to play free online.

But the question im asking myself. Do i want to pay to play online simply? I just now have the conclusion that for now, ps+ doesnt have enough benefit of investing 50$ atm. So, for now, yeah im back at free online play.

Top Bottom