• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

But the question im asking myself. Do i want to pay to play online simply? I just now have the conclusion that for now, ps+ doesnt have enough benefit of investing 50$ atm. So, for now, yeah im back at free online play.

I find it more than a little hard to believe you had a PS+ account that you canceled for those kinds of reasons. Why would anyone buy a + subscription for the online play alone? If you have a PS3 and PS4, you're getting online play, online save backups (invaluable), and like 4 free games a month. Obviously, YMMV but still. PS+ is a value even if you never use it for online play. Heck, I know I don't, even with my PS4

HF2014

I find it more than a little hard to believe you had a PS+ account that you canceled for those kinds of reasons. Why would anyone buy a + subscription for the online play alone? If you have a PS3 and PS4, you're getting online play, online save backups (invaluable), and like 4 free games a month. Obviously, YMMV but still. PS+ is a value even if you never use it for online play. Heck, I know I don't, even with my PS4

It auto cancel itself, i didnt cancel it. I just now have the option to pay it again, but this time, i only got my ps4 (sold the ps3). And for the small games they are giving atm, its imo not worth it. Sorry, im not just into playing Strider,Towerfall or Trines 2 just because they r free.The ps+ free game lineup didnt get my attention. Quality ps3 vs ps4 is not comparable.

Pila

COD with a wiimote is good, I had fun when I tried.

Too bad I got pwned pretty bad lol, that little user base on the WiiU doesn't fuck around.

FeiRR

Banned
Another shocking truthfact: there are more Battlefield players right now on Playstation platforms than on all other platforms altogether.

Terrell

It could be that Black Ops 2 is pretty much the only choice the Wii U FPS players have while PS4 FPS players are playing other FPS other than Killzone.
Doesn't this argument totally fall apart next to everything we are always told about Nintendo gamers?
If they are FPS players in the first place, why would they own or want a Wii U for BLOPS2, of all things, when it's available on "more suitable platforms"? In enough volume to eclipse player numbers of any other shooter whatsoever?

I feel this data exposes some holes in our and the press's assumptions of what is marketable to Nintendo's core audience. Seems that's the real story to be had in this.

This stuff happens because damn near every multiplayer shooter tries to copy what Call of Duty does. This makes fans of the franchise before it got "CoDified" not play the game, and the Call of Duty fans just play CoD anyway. Look at Halo 4 for a perfect example.

Devs nowadays alienate their core fan base thinking they can attract CoD players, but they just don't understand that CoD is the only game most of them play and they have probably never even heard of *insert shooter copying CoD here*

It auto cancel itself, i didnt cancel it. I just now have the option to pay it again, but this time, i only got my ps4 (sold the ps3). And for the small games they are giving atm, its imo not worth it. Sorry, im not just into playing Strider,Towerfall or Trines 2 just because they r free.The ps+ free game lineup didnt get my attention. Quality ps3 vs ps4 is not comparable.

Again, I would personally find it strange to cancel not renew a subscription because of one month's lineup of games. Even if we assume that you completely hated 9 out of 12 months worth of games, that's still 3 good months of games which would be 12 games for you (PS3+PS4) which is still more than worth the $50.00

But of course, as we always say, YMMV and to each their own.

HF2014

Again, I would personally find it strange to cancel not renew a subscription because of one month's lineup of games. Even if we assume that you completely hated 9 out of 12 months worth of games, that's still 3 good months of games which would be 12 games for you (PS3+PS4) which is still more than worth the $50.00

Maybe also inside of me its a way to protest for the lack of good games on ps4 and quality of free content for ps+ , compare to a system who imo, getting getter AAA exclusives fir this year. Atm, the wii u fills my need when my shiny ps4 atm is collecting dust. Wanted to try out killzone shadowfalls multiplayer for the fun of it, and oh wait, my ps+ subcription is over, that mean now with only the ps4 , without a ps3, well i got to pay for online gaming. ( kinda forgot about that , a bit ).

Maybe also, its one of the reasons i kinda hate microsoft in the past when i realise i need to pay to play online, and now, well , i feel kind of a bit of the same toward sony.

I WILL KEEP MY PS4!!!

But for now, free gaming is a great thing.And only Wii u is offering that. BO 2, i just got it, and im still having a blast playing it. Too bad i cant give a try at killzone. But paying for just that atm on ps+ is not justifying .

Jigorath

Banned
The game did sell very well, and it's disappointing they can't keep a solid player base after all the free DLC they've added. You'd think after BF4 not working well and Ghosts being a massive disappointment there would have been an audience for Shadow Fall. Guess not.

I just hope TLOU keeps a large player base because I am going to play the shit out of the multiplayer.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
COD with a wiimote is good, I had fun when I tried.

Too bad I got pwned pretty bad lol, that little user base on the WiiU doesn't fuck around.

Wiimote aiming puts you at a disadvantage I would think. Analog sticks with high sensitivity + snap aiming is much better.

I think people who think wiimote aiming is more accurate are just really bad with analog sticks.

Effect

Why isn't Blops 2 and Ghost on the eShop yet?

Only Activision knows and they refuse to give an answer. None of their games are on the eShop after all this time. Hell ask them about DLC for Black Ops 2 and Ghosts and to this day they will not give a simple answer that it's not coming. An answer we all know but they won't officially say it. There is no reason technical reason either as nearly everyone else puts their games on the eShop. Activision put up the Free Fall map for Ghost on the eShop.

Another thing that doesn't make any sense is EA still holding out on putting Mass Effect 3 on it as well. These are games with online play that could still be selling if very slowly if they were available and discounted. Their online modes still have players. ME3 you can only get used I think as far as retail goes.

HF2014

Wiimote aiming puts you at a disadvantage I would think. Analog sticks with high sensitivity + snap aiming is much better.

I think people who think wiimote aiming is more accurate are just really bad with analog sticks.

Playing with wii u oro controller and having a blast!!!

Came back from a good 9 month of inactivity, and got a game of 20-13 in domination!!

Yop, look like i still enjoy that game.

Wiimote aiming is far more accurate and much faster than every analog aiming. Of course it is. Try it and see fir yourselve.

I believe it, how many fps does wii u have available for it? wii u fans fought hard and yearned to get black ops 2 on there console when there was rumors floating around that it wouldn't be released on there.

Effect

I believe it, how many fps does wii u have available for it? wii u fans fought hard and yearned to get black ops 2 on there console when there was rumors floating around that it wouldn't be released on there.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Ghosts
007 Legends (no Wii mote aiming I believe). I seem to recall that the online might be okay but the single player ended up being so bad I think that almost no one bothered with the game. A shame. I really enjoyed Goldeneye 007 online.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist (when playing as the Mercenaries)

I think that's it.

Deadbeat

Banned
Blops 2 was shown at e3 and stuff for the wii u (showing remote play and things like that). Its the cod games afterwards that are vague and unknown. Ghosts was unknown for the longest time and there is a cat and mouse game going on with advanced warfare.

Doesnt change the fact that shadowfall failed to hold an audience online.

Enh, I feel the same way. PS+ on PS3 was a gold mine, I was drowning in more good stuff than I could play (last fall was insane). On PS4 I haven't felt compelled to download a single thing since launch day. (though I would have gotten Strider had I not already bought it). It's entirely because it's still early in the game and the library's just not there yet, I get that, but that doesn't really change things.

If Drive Club doesn't deliver the goods I can see myself letting by sub run out until something compels me to re-up. (Caveat: I was in the Destiny alpha, that was great, but it also seems like the kind of thing that would derail my life if I got into it so I'm going to pass).

HF2014

If i can contribute of giving a chance that wii u get advanced warfare, hell, why not. Might suck, but it will be one more.

Sure , not a lot of multiplayer shooter till Splatoon and Metroid, but if BO2 can do the job, well why not. I mean, do you absolutely need 4-5 new multiplayer shooter ever year? Find one that is good and its all you need. Overplayed quake, unreal, counter strike in that past for multiple consecutive years, and when i find a good one, i love to stick with it.

Would i have think about trying bo back if i had enjoyed kz multiplayer? Even if i would have enjoyed it, would i have felt worthing putting 50$ for it? But cant say, i didn't got the chance to try it. There was a 2 day tryout... But i don't feel like scaring myself to not get auto charge( my ps4 auto-renew was at off, but i got a email they try to auto-charge itself, but was having insuffisant funds on wallet). It nearly did, and i don't want to be auto-charged.

Thaaats why free multiplayer gaming is great. This BO2 and Mario Kart are really hooking me.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Blops 2 was shown at e3 and stuff for the wii u (showing remote play and things like that). Its the cod games afterwards that are vague and unknown. Ghosts was unknown for the longest time and there is a cat and mouse game going on with advanced warfare.

Doesnt change the fact that shadowfall failed to hold an audience online.

It wasnt shown at E3, it was show at the event Nintendo held just before releasing the console, where Tvii and Bayonetta 2 was announced as well. So we were actually wondering for a long time.

Well at least thats what the numbers from Killzone, the biggest firstparty release on the system, tells me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wiimote aiming is far more accurate and much faster than every analog aiming. Of course it is. Try it and see fir yourselve.

Tried it with Resident Evil 4. The wiimote aiming was definitely faster but the pace of that game overall is much slower than CoD, even in mercenaries mode. When you aim in RE4 it becomes a mini light gun game, so of course the wiimote is superior in that case.

CoD doesn't really play like a light gun game. You have to be mobile very consistently.

If i can contribute of giving a chance that wii u get advanced warfare, hell, why not. Might suck, but it will be one more.

Sure , not a lot of multiplayer shooter till Splatoon and Metroid, but if BO2 can do the job, well why not. I mean, do you absolutely need 4-5 new multiplayer shooter ever year? Find one that is good and its all you need. Overplayed quake, unreal, counter strike in that past for multiple consecutive years, and when i find a good one, i love to stick with it.

Would i have think about trying bo back if i had enjoyed kz multiplayer? Even if i would have enjoyed it, would i have felt worthing putting 50$ for it? But cant say, i didn't got the chance to try it. There was a 2 day tryout... But i don't feel like scaring myself to not get auto charge( my ps4 auto-renew was at off, but i got a email they try to auto-charge itself, but was having insuffisant funds on wallet). It nearly did, and i don't want to be auto-charged.

Thaaats why free multiplayer gaming is great. This BO2 and Mario Kart are really hooking me.

wii u should get every multiplat fps shooter game, there is definitely a market there. I also want to mention that popular multiplat games will always sell better then exclusives even on the same respective console so I am not surprised that black ops 2 is doing so well over there. Cod Ghost has more people playing it then titanfall and killzone SF. This is kind of a remedial point the OP is trying to make because multiplats will always have more people playing its multiplayer then exclusives. There is a larger market and usually more people are interested while exclusives usually only attract a certain type of audience for multiplayer purposes.

It wasnt shown at E3, it was show at the event Nintendo held just before releasing the console, where Tvii and Bayonetta 2 was announced as well. So we were actually wondering for a long time.

Well at least thats what the numbers from Killzone, the biggest firstparty release on the system, tells me.

what do those numbers tell you? all it tells me is people will always go with the more popular multiplats over exclusives for multiplayer purposes because exclusives only have a certain type of market. Cod is a well known established franchise that has been selling in large quantities mainly because of its multiplayer purposes for years. Why not compare cod ghost player count on PS4 to cod black ops on wii u? You also aren't factoring in that wii u doesn't have many competitive fps shooters so if people want to play shoot em up games on there they don't have much of a variety. While on PSN and XBL there are people playing Cod, BF mixed in with the consoles fps exclusives.

Tried it with Resident Evil 4. The wiimote aiming was definitely faster but the pace of that game overall is much slower than CoD, even in mercenaries mode. When you aim in RE4 it becomes a mini light gun game, so of course the wiimote is superior in that case.

CoD doesn't really play like a light gun game. You have to be mobile very consistently.

I was super quick in WaW, The Conduit, and Blops with the Wiimote aiming. Felt close to keyboard and mouse to me without any problems.

StoopKid

Who cares.

Battlefield has 40,000 on ps4 right now playing.

HF2014

As far as online? honestly, it kind of does....

We got different opinion here. I dont want to come into the detail on explaining why, but let say the last battlefield i enjoy a lot was bad company 2.

For me, BO2 is a better game.

But this topic is not about comparing BF4 to BO2.I just explain why i choose BO2 over Killzone. And if this game really get more player than Killzone, it can also tell a lot about the game. 9 millions ps4 ship worldwide. Cant have more than 1500 player online in KZ?? I must not miss a lot thinking about it...

HF2014

Out of curiousity anyone know how the numbers of Ghosts on WiiU compare to Blops2 on WiiU?

Pretty sure its a lot more, but that doesnt change that Ghosts is the less better game. Which is why i jump back in this one. I got no difficulty finding a Domination game so far.

Pikma

Banned
Out of curiousity anyone know how the numbers of Ghosts on WiiU compare to Blops2 on WiiU?
They're similar, but most of the times it's lower. There was a time when Ghosts was actually higher but most of the people agreed the game was shit and returned to Blops2, at least that's what I hear from the people I play Blops2 with.

We got different opinion here. I dont want to come into the detail on explaining why, but let say the last battlefield i enjoy a lot was bad company 2.

For me, BO2 is a better game.

But this topic is not about comparing BF4 to BO2.I just explain why i choose BO2 over Killzone. And if this game really get more player than Killzone, it can also tell a lot about the game. 9 millions ps4 ship worldwide. Cant have more than 1500 player online in KZ?? I must not miss a lot thinking about it...

When it comes to online, a game with only 1,000 active players and modes where you can't really drop into online is basically dead compared to a game with 10K+ active players and all modes readily playable. Especially if the dev/pub support is there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yes, variety of people you meet online makes any game better.
There are a lot of varieties that I'd be happier not meeting. I am forever thankful that 99% of PC gamers are dead silent online. CoD's online community makes me want to punch things.

I was thrilled to get into a couple matches of Spies vs. Mercs on Splintercell a couple of days ago on Wii U. More people should be playing that game online.

Top Bottom