• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

Saw it yesterday (Sunday) here in NZ. Wanted to leave after about 7 hours, Jesus H Christ it was boring.

If there's one thing I can't handle in movies or TV, it's slow dialogue. This movie could've been over and done in 40 minutes.

It's no transformers or ninja turtles, that's for sure.

Why did they think a sequel to Blade Runner should be a tentpole blockbuster? I don't think anyone my age (early 20s) is even aware of Blade Runner in the first place. I think it's cool they took the risk though, shame it didn't pan out.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It’s an art movie and was never in a position to do superhero flick numbers.

I do think it will be remembered and discussed enough to keep blu-rays & future formats in circulation, just like its predecessor.

Ithil

Why did they think a sequel to Blade Runner should be a tentpole blockbuster? I don't think anyone my age (early 20s) is even aware of Blade Runner in the first place. I think it's cool they took the risk though, shame it didn't pan out.

Tentpoles aren't released in October.

The first Blade Runner came out before I was even born, yet BR2049 is my favourite movie of the year.

Its just a really solid and well made movie.
Blade Runner came out ten years before I was born and it’s going to be a tough fight between 2049 and Wind River on my favorite movies of the year list. Both excel at what they set out to do at such completely opposite spectrums that it’s going to be hard to choose

Then again, I love cyberpunk, sci-fi noir, hard sci-fi, and all that, so me liking 2049 was practically an assured outcome

I have issues with its plot but I don't think it should have bombed. For me it's more 6/10. I feel like a lot of people are excusing its flabbiness because of visuals/mood/sound and the fact its a BR sequel

At no point I felt that the movie was dragging or wasting my time with unnecessary fillers. It felt tight. It was just going at a slower pace than most movies. You can see it in each cuts. They were much slower to switch to the next cut than today's movies. And that pacing was necessary for me to digest everything that was going on with the story. Even than, I missed a bunch of stuff after reading reviews and such. I need to watch again today.

Spenny

Saw it five times already. Absolutely love it. Can't wait to pick it up on uhd. It's a bummer it's not doing well but it's basically a $150m art house film.

MrS

Banned
The 2 best films of 2017 so far, mother! and BR2049, have been box office flops. Says a lot about the average moviegoer. Sad times indeed.

spwolf

It’s an art movie and was never in a position to do superhero flick numbers.

I do think it will be remembered and discussed enough to keep blu-rays & future formats in circulation, just like its predecessor.

First of all, we should be thankful it was made. I still have not seen it but I cant wait.

As to its performance, it might get good word of the mouth and last longer than usual... plus internationally it seems to be doing much better... nevertheless, we should not care anyway, we are not the investors.

le.phat

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#7f34b8ce4f15

Long read. Didn't want to copy the whoel article.

hot take. should have been faster paced with a bit more whizbang maybe. :/

Worst hot take ever. This film needed to be exactly as it was. Not every production needs to be dumbed down for the idiot audience at large. This movie will be talked about and revisited for years to come. It's not a blockbuster out of the gate, but it doesnt need to be.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The 2 best films of 2017 so far, mother! and BR2049, have been box office flops. Says a lot about the average moviegoer. Sad times indeed.

I say for mother! it was the case of misleading marketing. Almost everyone thought it was going to be a horror movie.

carlsojo

At no point I felt that the movie was dragging or wasting my time with unnecessary fillers. It felt tight. It was just going at a slower pace than most movies. You can see it in each cuts. They were much slower to switch to the next cut than today's movies. And that pacing was necessary for me to digest everything that was going on with the story. Even than, I missed a bunch of stuff after reading reviews and such. I need to watch again today.

The scene with
Gaff
meant nothing.

The scenes with the
guy running the orphanage
were meaningless.

The fight? Scene between
K and Deck
was also pretty pointless.

Those are off the top of my head.

shira

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#7f34b8ce4f15

Long read. Didn't want to copy the whoel article.

hot take. should have been faster paced with a bit more whizbang maybe. :/

charm_facepalm.gif

KayMote

I'm honestly kind of glad (which is a terrible thing to say - I know - considering so many people worked hard to make this happen), but the movie annoyed the fuck out of me and maybe if more box office bombs like that happen the studio heads will finally realize that the audience doesn't need more of these nostalgia pandering movies but fresh franchises.

robotrock

Banned
I really, sincerely hope this does not deter studios from making more R-rated high-budget films.

FOX has been seemingly happy with their R rated superhero movies, so I guess we'll still have more of those.

You know Dune isn't gonna happen anymore though :((

tuxfool

Banned
I'm honestly kind of glad (which is a terrible thing to say - I know - considering so many people worked hard to make this happen), but the movie annoyed the fuck out of me and maybe if more box office bombs like that happen the studio heads will finally realize that the audience doesn't need more of these nostalgia pandering movies but fresh franchises.

This is dumb.

They're not going to stop, they're just going to maximise on cheap cash-ins without actually caring for the source material, or bothering to make them good.

Except this was surprisingly a good sequel to a movie a lot of people thought would be impossible to make a sequel. Also there's like two scenes where it panders to fans. The rest of the movie is doing it's own thing.

There’s nothing nostalgia pandering about Blade Runner 2049. Like it goes out of its way to not pander and instead to be its own movie that succeeds by its own merits and not just callbacks and cheap devices to appease nostalgia

sleepnaught

Trailer didn't do it any justice. There wasn't any hype leading up to this movie unless you were a huge fan of the first one. I still plan on seeing next weekend.

Ithil

This is the complete opposite of a "nostalgia pandering movie". In fact it actively worked to not be nostalgic or deify the original, in a way that films like Jurassic World or others did not.

KayMote

There’s nothing nostalgia pandering about Blade Runner 2049. Like it goes out if it’s way to not pander and instead to be its own movie that succeeds by its own merits and not just callbacks and cheap devices to appease nostalgia

I'd argue that the movie would have been endlessly better, if they cut all ties from the first Blade Runner movie.

Slaythe

There’s nothing nostalgia pandering about Blade Runner 2049. Like it goes out of its way to not pander and instead to be its own movie that succeeds by its own merits and not just callbacks and cheap devices to appease nostalgia

I agree overall, but "nothing" is a bit much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck everyone and everything

The movie was top tier

Timbuktu

Trailer didn't do it any justice. There wasn't any hype leading up to this movie unless you were a huge fan of the first one. I still plan on seeing next weekend.

All the hype came from the critics it seems, they did their bit. Does anyone think Villeneuve can make a good Blade Runner film under 100 mil budget? I think he could have.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Blade Runner 2049 very much stands on its own.

It just so happens to incorporate the previous movie in a brilliant manner where the themes intertwine.

The plot points stand on their own, but they have a lot more meaning having seen BR.

HF2014

Saw it yesterday. For me, its movie of the year. Just love everything about it, story, cinematography, sounds, seriously, go see it in Imax. Saw Back friday the first one, really didnt remember it. I think it aged poorly, but it gave me the story to look back into in 2049. A Blade Runner fan cannot just be dissapointed in this movie.

Grats Villeneuve, you did it again!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The 3D in this movie is also really good.

Most times 3D is cheap and tacky which adds nothing, here it really enhances the depth of the sets and vistas.

What a shame. History repeats itself. I guess people just aren't into sci-fi films unless they have a lot of action or suspense. Hopefully it picks up a lot of Oscar noms at least. I thought the long run-time was well-done too.

Deserved. It was a bad movie tbh. I just cannot recommend a 2.5hrs movie like that to anybody but the biggest of cyberpunk fans.

I enjoyed it, but I feel awful for asking friends to come see it with me.

This is a legit bad opinion / reasoning dude, like really.

In all seriousness tho, it's not surprising, but I'm at least glad it exist. Sucks I have no one to watch it with. Nobody I know it's gonna want to watch a movie like Blade Runner. I made a similar mistake recommending There Will Be Blood to some friends, they couldn't even get half way through that film.

Damn... Get some better friends. I remember someone saying There Will Be Blood was "the worst movie I've ever seen". For me, it's one of the absolute best and it never felt long.

Anyway, no surprises this film is under performing financially. The budget is a bit zany. Let's just be thankful the film was made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom