• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortal

It's a bit disappointing, but I'm not surprised.

A film like Blade Runner 2049 isn't tailored to be a conventional blockbuster action film, set out to appeal to the broadest market possible. Which for me, is a positive.

It's denser, more complex, and longer than what audiences would typically want from a movie viewing experience. Especially within the current climate of superhero-themed adaptations.

I imagine it'll do better internationally in the long run.

Xe4

Banned
A shame. I really hope this would've done well, but I'm not surprised it didn't. I'll watch it at the end of October which is the next time I'll actually be able to drive the 60 miles to a theater. Hopefully it's still playing in some places then.

DerZuhälter;251368007 said:
Nah. Beside the visuals there is nothing special about it. The movie bogged down by the Blade Runner IP. It would have worked a lot better without it but with the same basic plot.
Wrong.

Nokterian

You know who deserved a sequel? Dredd..dredd got the worst marketing ever and yet it's one of those movies that isn't only good it's a great cinematic experience.

Should've added Nolan's name for a few more box office dollars.

"From the studio that pays Christopher Nolan's paychecks"

In all seriousness tho, it's not surprising, but I'm at least glad it exist. Sucks I have no one to watch it with. Nobody I know it's gonna want to watch a movie like Blade Runner. I made a similar mistake recommending There Will Be Blood to some friends, they couldn't even get half way through that film.

Like Ridley Scott?
Ridley’s name isn’t moving much of anything, including the failed Alien’s reboot.

And minus the few press junkets he appeared at, it’s not like they actually put his name out there much with the marketing here in the US.

They should have given a really popular 80s and 90s movie star who's in less than 1/3 of the film top billing too

I sense the sarcasm, but Ford isn’t a box office draw.

Ridley’s name isn’t moving much of anything, including the failed Alien’s reboot.

And minus the few press junkets he appeared at, it’s not like they actually put his name out there much with the marketing here in the US.
First trailer had his name marketed.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Problem is simple:

1. It's really hard to explain this movie and the trailers tried to explain the movie in 1-3 minutes. Which is impossible. I have a friend who turned around and said 'what the hell is this movie about?' When she saw the trailer. Then she saw Ryan Gosling and said 'OH RYAN GOSLING!'- I believe the marketing should have focused more on showcasing the fact that the film is beautiful, just plaster 'beautiful movie' quotes all over the trailers in cinema (not the tv commercials, which are like 20 secs long). Basically, constantly tell people it's the most beautiful movie in years. And show Gosling's face. Pimp him out. Pimp out all the beautiful people in the movie.

Like Ridley Scott?

Lol.

Saw this last night in a pretty crowded late night showing, enjoyed it a lot. While it's much more straightforward than the original in its plots and themes, it's also a very slow, artsy, deliberate film. No scene is rushed through.

The original being somewhat of a niche classic can explain the soft opening, but most of my friends today (after hearing it was almost 3 hours long) were like, "sounds like a movie for Netflix so I can take a bathroom break."

NimbusD

True to the original in more ways than one

yeah for real. tbh itll do fine once it hits streaming/home video. It's the type of movie that's not going anywhere, just like the original.

If anything I'm glad this means we're probably not going to see another one, I don't need them to franchise this.

whoszed

The theater was more filled up than usual here in Finland. Few movies attract that many people here, based on that I figured it would do really well.

The Hermit

I mean, It's a sequel to a cult classic film that failed in the box office 35 years ago yet they gave 185 million to. A nearly 3 hour film at that. What exactly were we expecting? I'm glad it was made, but this was never going to end well.

Everything is true.

The first was not even 2h, but it was so dense. It's hard to like BR, I only enjoyed after the second time and understood the next views.

BR2049 is a beautiful but very slow and long movie. I might succeed in the long run, but it's a hard sale.

Fun fact - Blade Runner was a commercial failure as well.

Blade Runner is also one of the most highly acclaimed science fiction movies that has ever existed, but only after the fact. Mixed reviews at the time, but almost universal praise now.

I'm not worried about its commercial success because it's not the sort of film that will find immediate commercial success and it won't get a sequel green lit anyway.

However, 2049 is a much bigger budget, but I can see it making a small profit before it leaves cinemas and then becoming a big release on physical and digital as well.

norinrad

Pretty much as I expected. It's beauty will show in time just like the first movie. Anyone who thought a movie like blade runner was going to be a boxoffice hit is crazy.

My friend just asked me this evening if I wanted to go with him because his girlfriend wasn't interested. Lol

Flipyap

Nah. Beside the visuals there is nothing special about it. The movie bogged down by the Blade Runner IP. It would have worked a lot better without it but with the same basic plot.
While I do agree for the most part, this would have to be a creative flop of George Lucas proportions for the Blade Runner branding to not guarantee its longevity, thanks to a dedicated genre fanbase that's always going to have to depend on old movies to get their fix.

Europe to the rescue (I hope).

Nah. It, which released a week earlier still had the bigger venues occupied and mine had only 40 persons sitting. 2 left after 40 minutes.
It'll crash and burn here too. In terms of marketing, I only found out by pure chance that the movie released this week.

Nokterian

Tbh I thought it was marketed as an action movie. They show probably 75 percent of the action in the trailers.

Lots of people thought the same way as Inglorious Bastards, the trailers showed it as an action type movie. But remember when you see his name Tarantino, you know get character development and long dialogue with great cinematography.

A co-worker saw that movie and in the end he didn't like it since there was not enough 'action' i said to him well you did know it was Tarantino so don't expect much action..more dialogue and character development.

Opening night was sold out here in Aus.

But my little cousin, who pretty much regurgitates what he reads and watches online through those dumbass movie blog feeds, said he had no interest in Bladerunner because it looked "meh".

Ithil

I don't give a shit.

I saw it, and loved it, and would not have had the movie be made more "Hollywood". It completely eschewing the usual Hollywood templates and tropes was incredibly refreshing in a big budget film.

The original Blade Runner was not a box office success either, yet it remains a classic. Sucks to be Sony's accountants, but luckily I am not one, I'm just a moviegoer and I am glad this film exists.

Violet_0

Banned

the movie is about (plot spoiler warning)
K having an identity crisis and believing himself to be a human, not a replicant, the question of what makes humans different from an artificial intelligence, and can an AI show true affection? It's the inversion of "is Deckard a replicant?", and a continuation of the theme of the replicants being more human than the actual humans from the first movie.
You could probably make a similar movie with a new IP, but I'd say it's pretty tightly linked to the Blade Runner universe

Aurongel

The screening I saw was packed and the audience seemed really into it. I'm somewhat surprised by the low turnout and disappointed by it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
All the showings here yesterday were nearly full, for all versions of the movie, and again today. I was lucky to get a decent seat yesterday. Surprised to read about all the empty seats I keep reading here.

damn if they knew it was going to do this bad they should have just gone all in on the "adult intelligent" stuff, felt some parts were there to please dumb audiences

It's more due to they made a 200M to a niche sci-fi movie.
You could call Bladerunner niche when it came out. 30 years later, it's an instantly recognisable and seminal landmark in science fiction. I don't know about the US, but in Australia it's one of the regularly studied texts in high school.

That's a shame. It's the best movie to come out this year. This is why we can't have nice things. A big issue though is that budget. If they had perhaps scaled things down visually, the smaller BO numbers may not have been such big deal.

Note: I went Friday night around 7, theater was pretty empty, and you could tell people were kind of antsy in their seats. So these numbers are sadly probably accurate.

norinrad

All the showings here yesterday were nearly full, for all versions of the movie, and again today. I was lucky to get a decent seat yesterday. Surprised to read about all the empty seats I keep reading here.

I suspect most are just people who saw the first movie in the 80s. Anyway BR is for a typical audience. The sci-fi, philosophy and crazy people like myself with a star trek obsession.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The first Blade Runner came out before I was even born, yet BR2049 is my favourite movie of the year.

Its just a really solid and well made movie.

Thaedolus

Going Tuesday with my wife and her aunt and uncle, we rewatched the original last night. Maybe everyone’s just rewatching it first!

gamz

You could call Bladerunner niche when it came out. 30 years later, it's an instantly recognisable and seminal landmark in science fiction. I don't know about the US, but in Australia it's one of the regularly studied texts in high school.

Yeah, if you're into sci-fi/film noir. It's not going to go over at all on any other audience demo except for that small niche of people. You have to attract more normals to cover that budget or make it cheaper.

Saw it yesterday (Sunday) here in NZ. Wanted to leave after about 7 hours, Jesus H Christ it was boring.

If there's one thing I can't handle in movies or TV, it's slow dialogue. This movie could've been over and done in 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom