• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheXbox

I knew Blade Runner was in trouble after Ghost in the Shell bombed. Akira and Dune will bomb as well if they aren't canned.

Im angry, but ill be aure to watch it when it opens here.
Dune is not the same genre. Like, I accept the fact that Hollywood studio logic will conflate cyberpunk with space opera as some impenetrable fake nerd shit, and maybe-probably shitcan the Dune project because 2049 bombed so fucking hard, but it's still wrong.

Gah. Fuck them. Fuck this. Imagine a world where we can't have Dune because nobody saw the amazing Blade Runner sequel, and we get Craig Bond and Cleo-fucking-patra instead.

Movie was shit sorry guys. The narrative is paper thin, and the visuals are amazing. I just like more substance to the movies I watch. If you like it more power to you, however the narrative was really bad.

duckroll

Movie was shit sorry guys. The narrative is paper thin, and the visuals are amazing. I just like more substance to the movies I watch. If you like it more power to you, however the narrative was really bad.

Your opinion is shit sorry. There's nothing of value in your critique, even though there were words used. I just like reading opinions with more meat. If you think you have something worthwhile to say more power to you, however this opinion was really bad.

I can't comment on the quality of Blade Runner 2 since i haven't seen it. It could be great. But based on my experience with Blade Runner 1, a decent number of people in my social circle won't be seeing this.

Sorry cyberpunkGAF but i had to be honest with all the people who ask me about "nerd stuff". Them's the breaks :|

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What is your idea of a more substantial movie?

Dune is not the same genre. Like, I accept the fact that Hollywood studio logic will conflate cyberpunk with space opera as some impenetrable fake nerd shit, and maybe-probably shitcan the Dune project because 2049 bombed so fucking hard, but it's still wrong.

Gah. Fuck them. Fuck this. Imagine a world where we can't have Dune because nobody saw the amazing Blade Runner sequel, and we get Craig Bond and Cleo-fucking-patra instead.

Dune shouldn't even be a movie. At minimum it needs to be a 8-10 miniseries.

Ratrat

Dune is even more obscure than Bladerunner and the Lynch film was kind of a disaster. Plus the budget for a Dune film would be insane.

TheXbox

Dune is even more obscure than Bladerunner and the Lynch film was kind of a disaster. Plus the budget for a Dune film would be insane.
The Lynch film was kind of terrible. Yes, the budget will/would be outrageous, but they can sell it like a Star Wars film. It is a Star Wars film. I understand why 2049 was tough to market, seeing as it had about ten minutes of fighting throughout its three-hour runtime, but Dune has all that commercial shit. Sand worms; spaceships; atomic explosions; knife fights; humongous battles; chosen boy with special powers leads the natives against the evil empire.

As for its obscurity, you really can't ask for more recognition in sci-fi lit than Dune. Like, what else is there that hasn't been done? Foundation? It's certainly better known than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Dune could totally lean into the John Carter of Mars territory without the right marketing. And its result.

Kieli

I'm going to be honest. I still don't understand why this movie was made, who funded it for $150 million, and how they managed to convince Villeneuve to direct it.

That being said, my theatre was actually packed and the audience was mostly well behaved. One or two people were browsing their cellphones mid-way through the movie, and a couple left, but everyone else stayed 'til the end and I heard murmurings of "That was good" or similar things.

TheMan

damn, that's a shame. I was hoping to contribute 10 bucks to the cause, but work got in the way. Maybe next weekend...

Window

2049 is not perfect and there's lots of valid criticisms to be made but I think style over substance is not one of them. This movie is packed with ideas. Some half baked, some stretched too thin and some realised wonderfully.

Jarmel

Banned
If Dune by some miracle still ends up being made, that budget is going to be slashed as fuck. You going to see crayon sketches of a desert.

this is always in the back of my mind :(

Dune could really go either way. I can't make any predictions of the BO with that one. People like space and space fantasy movies these days. The only danger is if the most fantastical parts of Dune (like the sand worms) look goofy or stupid in any way and are marketed heavily, that could be bad for it. The more its marketed as something like Interstellar, the better.

Ratrat

The Lynch film was kind of terrible. Yes, the budget will/would be outrageous, but they can sell it like a Star Wars film. It is a Star Wars film. I understand why 2049 was tough to market, seeing as it had about ten minutes of fighting throughout its three-hour runtime, but Dune has all that commercial shit. Sand worms; spaceships; atomic explosions; knife fights; humongous battles; chosen boy with special powers leads the natives against the evil empire.

As for its obscurity, you really can't ask for more recognition in sci-fi lit than Dune. Like, what else is there that hasn't been done? Foundation? It's certainly better known than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
I dont think being a SF classic counts for much towards box office success. People think of the films 2001, Bladerunner, Starship Troopers etc.
Besides, sf novel adaptations seem to do badly.
Ender Game is just as if not more popular than Dune and look at what that movie did.

norm9

If Dune by some miracle still ends up being made, that budget is going to be slashed as fuck. You going to see crayon sketches of a desert.

After a rousing and intriguing premiere episode, they'll spend the whole rest of the season on a farm.

2049 is not perfect and there's lots of valid criticisms to be made but I think style over substance is not one of them. This movie is packed with ideas. Some half baked, some stretched too thin and some realised wonderfully.

It has more depth and ideas than the original. I even like the original more but 2049 is one of the most thought provoking sci-fi films since The Matrix.

I also feel like its only real flaws, the villains and the weak climax, were easily fixable in the script and would have put it over the edge as being better than the original.

Rixxan

To me the poor box office performance only makes me appreciate it more

It's such an anomaly in today's climate, in a number of ways, I can't quite believe it exists

It's my favorite movie in years, seen it twice and still can't stop thinking about it - such a powerhouse film, special aesthetic and special ideas and insights into the human condition

It's art, man

Really bummed to see the low numbers. This was always going to be a blue ray purchase for me, though, as with most movies. I refuse to go to theaters anymore. I have a ton of friends at work who say the same thing.

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article169137212.html

Bed bugs?

giphy.gif

There's maybe 3 movies a year tops that demand a theater experience. This year it was this and Dunkirk, but especially this. I just feel like you're totally missing out by not making the trip.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can't comment on the quality of Blade Runner 2 since i haven't seen it. It could be great. But based on my experience with Blade Runner 1, a decent number of people in my social circle won't be seeing this.

Sorry cyberpunkGAF but i had to be honest with all the people who ask me about "nerd stuff". Them's the breaks :|
I mean superheroes and Game of Thrones are nerd shit too. It doesn't stop the mainstream from never shutting up about them.

I mean superheroes and Game of Thrones are nerd shit too. It doesn't stop the mainstream from never shutting up about them.

I got my friend who i mostly see these days when we lift weights together to watch all 7 seasons of Game of Thrones, probably the most talky show he's ever watched for that long. He asked me about Blade Runner and i told him he probably wouldn't like it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got my friend who i mostly see these days when we lift weights together to watch all 7 seasons of Game of Thrones, probably the most talky show he's ever watched for that long. He asked me about Blade Runner and i told him he probably wouldn't like it.
Well you know the person you're talking about, but for my money GoT is 1000x more dense and "nerdy" than either of these BR films.

Why are we acting like BR is some dense nerdy narrative anyway? It's a 80s action movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Road Warrior. In my circles it's considered a hardcore guy movie classic.

The new one is a little more heady but barely more than The Matrix :/

To address the issue of pacing,

The first movie had that. What did you expect? It's a detective noir (which is known for having slow pacing) with sci-fi elements.

I think some of the people who didn't watch this is because:

1. Like the first Blade Runner, people were confused because they expected a fast-paced action sci-fi film back in the 80s. And today's audience was confused about the same things with 2049's marketing.

or

2. People knew how the pacing for the first one was and didn't want to bother with this one.

Man I feel like old man shouting at clouds, but this is really dissapointing. Saw it tonight and while I felt that a sequel to Bladerunner was largely unnecessary, I thought they did a pretty damn good job of creating a worthwhile second part.

Hope the numbers pick up.

alt27

Looking forward to this , gotta wait till the 27th in japan though.

Unfortunate that it’s not doing well as studios will be reluctant to back similar projects in the future .

There going to go back to the treadmill of shitty movies like transformers , fast and furious , superhero mash ups etc etc which is why I hardly ever go to the cinema anymore .

I went in expecting to hate it. I adore the original and it’s a top 10 of all time for me.

About half way though I turned to the person I went with and said “I can’t believe this movie exists”. It was fantastic and went to places I never expected from the trailers. Not suprised it isn’t lighting the world on fire but I’m thankful that I live on the timeline that allows this movie to happen. 100% gratitude to all involved for actually giving a shit and making something wonderful.

That's a shame. Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen and an instant classic for me. I hope the numbers pick up. I will definitely be supporting them by buying multiple copies on bluray.

Arklite

Times like these I regret not watching films in theatres but I'll make it out for 2049 after hearing this. Shame the box office still rules everything for initial premiers/revenue.

Kronotech

I can't remember anything about the first movie but this was amazing. I would have thought a Gosling and Harrison sci fi movie would kill it. My theater was wide open :(

TokiDoki

Ok real question here . What is the ratio of Cyberpunk city to the sand area in screen time ? I hope its more of the former .

Oberon

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things.
I wasn't planning on going to watch in theatres because I detest watching a movie like that on my own, but I have to now.
God forbid a movie that isn't a trashy super hero or transformers movie is actually successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom