• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Regardless of box office receipts - is it not the most accessible movie? Concerned that my gf, who likes SciFi, may not like 3 hours of slow burning SciFi...

The scifi isn't the "problem" with BR2049. Well, actually it is, because it creates the expectation of the sort of scifi film people tend to expect. The big questions and mystery in the film don't matter, it's more a thoughtful contemplation sort of film. A character study with some (barely) exciting bits, there's tension but it's more about the character emotions from beat to beat rather than feeling like a pure detective thriller. It's a strong mood piece with a lot of lingering shots and amazing cinematography.

I don't really think people have a problem understanding what the movie is about or what it wants to say. It's not some complex puzzle that needs to be solved. The question is really whether a person is interested in sitting through a long mood piece that's thematic.

Regardless of box office receipts - is it not the most accessible movie? Concerned that my gf, who likes SciFi, may not like 3 hours of slow burning SciFi...

I would say its less accessible than the original because its longer, requires you to think more, and somewhat depends on an understanding of the original going into it. And if you didn't like the original, you won't like this.

But its sci-fi at its very best, one of the top 5 in the genre over the last 30 years.

robotrock

Banned
I don't care all that much for the original Blade Runner but I loved this. I'll probably give that movie another go or something.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If you don't like this, you don't really like Sci Fi. I think it's that simple.

Yeah, if someone likes sci-fi than this is the perfect movie for them. Otherwise, what exactly do they like? Action movies that are a bit futuristic or something? Blade Runner 2049 is sci-fi as fuuuuuck.

ZombAid82

I saw two viewings in Berlin.
On Thursday 7:15 PM at the IMAX in 3D, Sold out!
And on Sunday in a much more independent Cinema with 3 friends, in English with german subtitles and it was packed as well, would say about 80% full. 6PM Sunday.

So, I did my part!
Did you?

Would you like to know more?

Piccoro

And on Sunday in a much more independent Cinema with 3 friends, in English with german subtitles and it was packed as well, would say about 80% full. 6PM Sunday.

So, I did my part!
Did you?

Yeah, I went to see it in IMAX 3D yesterday and it was also full. I enjoyed it.

It absolutely is anti-intellectual. Film critics often have phd's or masters in film studies and spend their lives analyzing the artform. To broadly dismiss the entire field of film criticism is as cut and dry anti-intellectual as it gets.

But we're not talking about climate science or whether a bridge will hold under a certain weight. What the critics you see are looking for in a film might not be the same as what this poster is. Or, to put it another way, if that poster routinely sees positive reviews of films, watches those films and then doesn't enjoy them, what do you tell them? They're being anti-intellectual for not agreeing with the people with PHDs? Because that's basically - well, literally - what you've just done.

It's pretty anti-intellectual to generalize "film critics" in the first place, much less to suggest that every critic looks for the same thing in every film. There isn't much thought put into that post, I'm not sure what you're batting for here.

Well yeah but let's use the magic of our imaginations and assume he means "I tend not to enjoy many of the films that get a strong positive critical response" since that's almost certainly what they did mean. You don't have to think all critics think alike to form that opinion.

Socreges

Banned
Alright much appreciated...you've all got me thinking. I'll gauge her interest again tomorrow so at least if she does get bored halfway through I can say I warned her.

Fact is I know I'm going to like it and we generally share similar opinions on SciFi movies. Both liked Arrival, Midnight Special, thought Passengers was dull, blah blah blah. BR2049 will be a challenge, though. Hoping she's up for it.

also a bit concerned as she didn't like the trailer...but the trailer wasn't great anyhow

HariKari

Fact is I know I'm going to like it and we generally share similar opinions on SciFi movies. Both liked Arrival, Midnight Special, thought Passengers was dull, blah blah blah. BR2049 will be a challenge, though. Hoping she's up for it.

If she can appreciate Arrival, you're fine. Has she seen the original?

duckroll

It's actually more like 50 minutes longer than Arrival. Lol. Arrival is one of Villeneuve's shorter films. This is the longest.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member

So, I did my part!
Did you?

I did! I watched it 2 times already and am going for a third showing tomorrow. Absolutely loved it, even moreso the second time, than the first, I think. The slow, deliberate pacing just makes it a joy to fully take in every scene, when you don't have to fully focus on the story(because of already knowing where it's going).

Alright much appreciated...you've all got me thinking. I'll gauge her interest again tomorrow so at least if she does get bored halfway through I can say I warned her.

also a bit concerned as she didn't like the trailer...but the trailer wasn't great anyhow
Hopes she likes it :) trailer indeed wasn't that great, but I had faith Villeneuve would pull it off, after Sicario and Arrival and he did.

velociraptor

I'm thinking of going to watch Blade Runner with my friends.

Is it worth watching? A slow paced movie, or is it exciting an action packed like the Total Recall reboot?

I thought it was weird that less than 20 people were in the theater with me (3 others being people in my group) on opening night.

Guess that wasn't unique to my area...

Impulsor

So, I did my part!
Did you?

Oh you! I got that reference!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Is it worth watching? A slow paced movie, or is it exciting an action packed like the Total Recall reboot?

It's slow paced and I wouldn't call it action packed. But it's very high quality and 1000x the calibre of remakes like Total Recall or Robocop.

It depends on if your friends have a taste for arthouse sci-fi or not, tbh. If you just want junk food action spectacle... no this isn't it.

TBH it seems like the dialogue around this movie has made it clear it's not for everyone and we're overcompensating by defending it as "cerebral". But for me it was another Matrix, Dark Knight or Fury Road... seemed accessible to me. I don't know why some people are dumb and can't sit still for 2.5 hours.

Socreges

Banned
Just wanted to chime in on the "anti-intellectual" convo. As silly as it is to uniformly disregard the opinions of movie critics, who are obviously well-versed in the culture, history and artform, I think using the term anti-intellectual is a misnomer. Too much subjectivity involved, despite reviews being premised with an intent of objectivity. So, I think anti-expert is more appropriate. Subtle but important distinction imo.

If she can appreciate Arrival, you're fine. Has she seen the original?

Feel like this and Arrival have similar pacing. This is a good 30 minutes or so longer though.
Yeah, I figured it was a decent comparison, apart from the run time. Good to hear.

And no, she hasn't seen the original. I stupidly put it on late one night for us to watch while we lay in bed and...she fell asleep. But that's not a condemnation of the movie

Edit - wow he did Sicario too? I fucking loved that movie

jedezel

Neo Member
To be honest, I am almost pleased by this bad result.

I liked the movie a lot but I really hope that there will not be another sequel because I do not want to see a movie
about the revolution of the replicants
as it is hinted in this movie.

So it is sad for the cast and so on but maybe it is best for the franchise.

BocoDragon

I liked the movie a lot but I really hope that there will not be another sequel because I do not want to see a movie

I'm not happy at all... but yes, I do feel it doesn't need a sequel.

Mr. Tibbs

That's a pretty selfish reason to be pleased. If films like 2049 fail to generate respectable returns, it won't bode well for the future of unorthodox auteur films supported by major studios, so it'll be more than one franchise or individual director that suffers. There will be less incentive to pursue anything risky. Luckily, it's doing decently internationally.

A-V-B

It's slow paced and I wouldn't call it action packed. But it's very high quality and 1000x the calibre of remakes like Total Recall or Robocop.

It depends on if your friends have a taste for arthouse sci-fi or not, tbh. If you just want junk food action spectacle... no this isn't it.

TBH it seems like the dialogue around this movie has made it clear it's not for everyone and we're overcompensating by defending it as "cerebral". But for me it was another Matrix, Dark Knight or Fury Road... seemed accessible to me. I don't know why some people are dumb and can't sit still for 2.5 hours.

Definitely not accessible like those films. They all had super clear stakes, conventional structure (well, except for Dark Knight, but that didn't matter,) intense pacing, and almost constant action or snappy movement. Audiences will sit down and chew the shit out of their popcorn.

BocoDragon

Definitely not accessible like those films. They all had super clear stakes, conventional structure (well, except for Dark Knight, but that didn't matter,) intense pacing, and almost constant action or snappy movement. Audiences will sit down and chew the shit out of their popcorn.

I suppose.

I just never once thought "I'm enduring this weird slowass thing that moves like a Tarkovsky film because I love art movies!"

It washed over me like any blockbuster film and I was never bored.

jedezel

Neo Member
That's a pretty selfish reason to be pleased. If films like 2049 fail to generate respectable returns, it won't bode well for the future of unorthodox auteur films supported by major studios, so it'll be more than one franchise or individual director that suffers. There will be less incentive to pursue anything risky. Luckily, it's doing decently internationally.

I know that you are right but I cannot help to be relieved.

Lime

Why would people to pay to go experience a dystopian world with pollution, discrimination, oppression, super powerful capitalist companies, mass surveillance, soulless consumerism, poverty, etc. when they already live in one?

Kazaam

Just wanted to chime in on the "anti-intellectual" convo. As silly as it is to uniformly disregard the opinions of movie critics, who are obviously well-versed in the culture, history and artform, I think using the term anti-intellectual is a misnomer. Too much subjectivity involved, despite reviews being premised with an intent of objectivity. So, I think anti-expert is more appropriate. Subtle but important distinction imo.

Actually given what he wrote and the way he wrote it, I would say it's pretty damn close to anti-intellectualism. Also, "anti-expert" sounds a lot like anti-intellectualism.

Haven't seen the film yet, mainly because of the London Film Festival, but also because IMAX is pretty much sold out for the next few weeks at any normal time, so I guess that's a good sign for UK box office.

Aske

Apparently I'm the only one in the whole IT department at work to have seen this movie. If that wasn't bad enough at least a five of my coworkers thought this movie was a remake. Guess it really was marketed like trash. What a bummer.

I only learned that it's not a remake upon reading this thread. But I haven't been paying a ton of attention because I like more mystery or horror in my sci-fi - I'm not the movie's intended audience. Always sad to hear about a good movie doing poorly though.

Apocryphon

Funny. Total Recall was lowest common denominator drivel but I did like the weird hand phone thingy.

Saw Blade Runner in Imax tonight and loved it. The missus fell asleep half way in...

I liked the pacing. Film is so we'll made. This and Dunkirk have been great cinema worthy experiences.

BocoDragon

I only learned that it's not a remake upon reading this thread. But I haven't been paying a ton of attention because I like more mystery or horror in my sci-fi - I'm not the movie's intended audience.

There's mystery in this for sure.

Trumpets

I'm all for contemplative character pieces, but they really need the main subject to have a personality for that to work. That said I'm surprised it hasn't done better, given how well regarded the first film is.

I'm all for contemplative character pieces, but they really need the main subject to have a personality for that to work. That said I'm surprised it hasn't done better, given how well regarded the first film is.

I never was a fan of Ryan Gosling. I think he really was great in this. He has character. No talking necessary, he's acting. It's really bold to
have the main character be an android. I mean, Villeneuve made me sympathise with a robot.
<-- Slight spoiler regarding the premise for the first 10 minutes. You may want to experience it without knowing.

ZombAid82

I did! I watched it 2 times already and am going for a third showing tomorrow. Absolutely loved it, even moreso the second time, than the first, I think. The slow, deliberate pacing just makes it a joy to fully take in every scene, when you don't have to fully focus on the story(because of already knowing where it's going).

Hopes she likes it :) trailer indeed wasn't that great, but I had faith Villeneuve would pull it off, after Sicario and Arrival and he did.

Only watched the first trailer, but in Villeneuve I trust!
This guy hasn't let me down yet.
One of the greatest working today, along Park Chan-Wook.
Three time's the charm so I'll be doing exactly that.

Is it just me or did the pacing not make the film feel 2.4 hours.
Every second felt earned, and time flew by for me.

Yeah, 163 Mintues never flew so fast by!

That said I'm surprised it hasn't done better, given how well regarded the first film is.

I think that general audiences don't care for it. Blade Runner has been a cult classic for decades but it is mainly discussed and appreciated in circles of people who care about cinema above a casual level.

Even within those you have to subtract movie buffs that actually don't like it, case in point: one of my friends is a film lover and quite a connoisseur but he's just not big on arthouse, he acknowledges Blade Runner as one of the best movies ever made but he doesn't really like it so much and he's surely not dying to see 2049 in the theater.

If history is to repeat itself this will do far better as a DVD/Blu Ray product that in theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom