• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see how it pans out this week.

I know many youtubers who are going to see it again sometime this week. I know people that want to check it out again at the theaters. I also assume word of mouth can help the movie this week.

Let's see how it pans out this week.

I know many youtubers who are going to see it again sometime this week. I know people that want to check it out again at the theaters. I also assume word of mouth can help the movie this week.

Whilst the movie reviewed well in my experience word of mouth isn't very good at all. The length of the movie really discourages repeat viewings as well. I'm hoping it's not the case but I think this movie will end up with bad legs on top of a bad opening.

Whilst the movie reviewed well in my experience word of mouth isn't very good at all. The length of the movie really discourages repeat viewings as well. I'm hoping it's not the case but I think this movie will end up with bad legs on top of a bad opening.

Heads will roll then. And this is sad seeing as this prob one of the best sequels I have ever seen.

kris.

Banned
This blows. I did my part and got two IMAX tickets last thursday and I'm desperate to see it again because it's a truly phenomenal movie.

dosh

You needed to see Drive and The Nice Guys, like yesterday
I concur. They are genuinely great movies, and there can't be a better demonstration of his range than these two back to back.

Side note: I'm always baffled when people maintain that Gosling is a boring actor who can only play introverted mutes. He was stupid hilarious in The Big Short and going from charming to
despicable
in The Ides of March. I mean, come on.

COME ON.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Saw it Thursday night with some friends and the movies been on my mind ever since.

Went back to rewatch Blade Runner on bluray and appreciated the themes a lot more this time around.

Try to rally another group of friends to go, I really wanna watch it again.

manhack

Amazing see that the #1 movie at the box office is already considered a failure.

I enjoyed it, but there were only 5 people in my small town theater on Friday night.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Technical Oscars are technically still Oscars.

Ashhong

Winning technical Oscars lol.

It's funny how sometimes technical Oscars are something to be proud of, and then sometimes they aren't. Oh and how sometimes Oscars in general are a joke, until your favorite movie gets nominated or wins.

Not speaking of anyone in general, just something I noticed lol

duckroll

It's funny how sometimes technical Oscars are something to be proud of, and then sometimes they aren't. Oh and how sometimes Oscars in general are a joke, until your favorite movie gets nominated or wins.

Not speaking of anyone in general, just something I noticed lol

The question was what chance it has to win "all the Oscars", not win "some Oscars".

hoos30

No one asked for this. Hard to be surprised.

The story was complete with the first movie. There was no need for a sequel.

Zen Aku

This film was fantastic, m8
I can understand why people love it. But I think several people here pointed out that unless you're a big fan of the original or a hardcore sci-fi fan.

This movie probably won't appeal to you. I love sci-fi movies and usually all of them are exciting and thrilling. But watching this to me was kind of a slow burn. It's beautiful, well made. But it was like watching the sunset. It's beautiful sure, but I'm not getting the thrill I expected.

(Some of the scenes were quite thrilling though, especially near the end.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really don't see this winning over Oscar voters, even the new ones, for all the same reasons that people didn't really seem interested in even watching this. And then I wonder if a lot of effort (aka money) would even go into the Oscar campaign for 2049. I guess it reviewed well, so there's obviously a reason to believe the movie has merit. But the appeal is so incredibly narrow that I can't see it grabbing a win.

Its gonna be interesting to see how Geostorm does on Oct 20th, its pretty much the opposite of Blade Runner - really, really dumb sci fi with lots of explosions and over the top CGI scenes. If it does really well, it does kind of solidify in my mind that if you are gonna spend over $50m on a movie, you need to pander to lowest common denominator.

Its not realistic I know but I wonder how BR would have been received if it was kept a big secret that Harrison Ford returns, he didn't do any promo or wasn't in any of the trailers. I don't think it would have made a huge difference except for fans of the original movie, and clearly there aren't enough of those to make this a $100m opening weekend movie.

It is interesting how It has made so much money and this movie hasn't, and both are sort of children of the 80s/90s products.

Jarmel

Banned
At the very least it should win the technical awards barring some other movie coming out later this year. It would be absurd for Deakins to lose this.

Its gonna be interesting to see how Geostorm does on Oct 20th, its pretty much the opposite of Blade Runner - really, really dumb sci fi with lots of explosions and over the top CGI scenes. If it does really well, it does kind of solidify in my mind that if you are gonna spend over $50m on a movie, you need to pander to lowest common denominator.
Geostorm is going to do well, because life is unfair, so if course disaster movie schlock is going to outdo 2049

robotrock

Banned
Why we gotta put Geostorm down to bring Blade Runner up, fellas. That’s fucked up. I’m gonna have a great time with that movie.

How did Rodriguez get a budget that big for an anime movie
Because James Cameron wrote and was attached as director whilst completing vfx tests and a year's worth of preproduction, before stepping back to producing the film and subbing Rodriguez in at the last second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom