• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Because James Cameron wrote and was attached as director whilst completing vfx tests and a year's worth of preproduction, before stepping back to producing the film and subbing Rodriguez in at the last second.

Yeah but...Robert Rodriguez

I don't understand FOX agreeing to Rodriguez, but you can't blame them for previously moving the film forward with Cameron before he bailed.

yeah can see the sense in this

duckroll

What the Cinematography noms could look like for 2018:
Paul Thomas Anderson
Matthew Libatique
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki
Hoyte Van Hoytema

What this actually means:
Deakins will lose again

HoodWinked

Gold Member
figures...

reminds me of edge of tomorrow bombing. both sci-fi but not space both with nearly universal critical acclaim.

robotrock

Banned
Paul Thomas Anderson
Matthew Libatique
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki
Hoyte Van Hoytema

Deakins will lose again

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck PTA is doing the cinematography? that's bananas

kitzkozan

I can understand why people love it. But I think several people here pointed out that unless you're a big fan of the original or a hardcore sci-fi fan.

This movie probably won't appeal to you. I love sci-fi movies and usually all of them are exciting and thrilling. But watching this to me was kind of a slow burn. It's beautiful, well made. But it was like watching the sunset. It's beautiful sure, but I'm not getting the thrill I expected.

(Some of the scenes were quite thrilling though, especially near the end.)

Blade Runner 2049 isn't a thrill ride, it's a slower paced cerebral sci-fi affair. It's not made please the masses and it's ok since Villeneuve wasn't interested in making that kind of movie, so the budget should of been under 100M. Anyway, it doesn't really matter because it has been financed and it exist as a 150M+ movie.

I think Mad Max: Fury Road is more or less the limit where you have a director working on a passion project with it's quirks while having enough appeal to tap into a portion of the mainstream crowd. Anything less and you will lose or won't make money for sure if the budget is 125M+ .

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Like a few said, I also refuse to go to the cinema to watch movies. 4K HDR at home with 7.2.2 sound will win everytime for me.

Paul Thomas Anderson
Matthew Libatique
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki
Hoyte Van Hoytema

Deakins will lose again
Damn. That's a tough group.

Haven't seen one so tough since Inception (surprising) won in 2011

Zen Aku

Blade Runner 2049 isn't a thrill ride, it's a slower paced cerebral sci-fi affair. It's not made please the masses and it's ok since Villeneuve wasn't interested in making that kind of movie, so the budget should of been under 100M. Anyway, it doesn't really matter because it has been financed and it exist as a 150M+ movie.

I think Mad Max: Fury Road is more or less the limit where you have a director working on a passion project with it's quirks while having enough appeal to tap into a portion of the mainstream crowd. Anything less and you will lose or won't make money for sure if the budget is 125M+ .
Well yeah... That's basically what I posted.

robotrock

Banned
Is PTA with DDL releasing this year confirmed???? Don’t make my heart skip like this.

It's definitely gonna release in some form this year. Supposedly Christmas.

I'm assuming that date is for extremely limited showings though, so they can have it considered for the upcoming Academy Awards. I expect to be able to watch it early next year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Also, with series having increasingly bigger budgets, and movie prices ramping up, the very experience of going into a movie theater is changing. It's no surprise that it seems like everything has to be louder and more explosive, people just naturally feel now that this is what a movie theater is for. It's not like that's the only kind of movie that can be a hit in theater, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea that cinemas are seen almost as a different medium now. The theaters have to compete with your home experience, so the movies are getting louder, flashier.

TARS

Neo Member
Paul Thomas Anderson
Matthew Libatique
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki
Hoyte Van Hoytema

Deakins will lose again
Haven't seen BR, but I feel like it's going to be between Deakins and Hoytema this year.

Expect it to be a slow burn. That will have to be fine given its depth and complexity. It will make its budgets back I'm sure. I'm certainly in for the 4K blu-ray, but I'm not paying for another $14 movie ticket. lol

Given its my movie of the year so far, I expect it to be on many short lists. If it does well in awards season, we can probably expect a theatricals rerelease.

Outstanding. Keep spreading that word of mouth, my children.
Seeing it again next week with a friend since she didn't see it yet. Cinematography/visuals/special effects etc basically belong to Dunkirk/B2049, though cinematography I'd give it to B2049.

Movie was pretty expensive though, I do hope it makes its money back. Curious to see WW sales for week 1.
My theatre sucked.

This old couple behind us was narrating the whole movie

This is why I prefer to watch at home, so I have control when I can watch, pause, set volume.
You gotta tell people to shut the fuck up, regardless of age. Happened during Dunkirk with me, first time in a very long time. I turned to my right after a while and asked them "can you be please be quiet" but it was in the tone of "you're being cunts and annoying everyone, stop talking." :D

the entire we're going to introduce the girl for a revolution that came out of nowhere at the end of the movie
That’s not a sequel hook.
That element was there to reinforce K’s status as a random replicant nobody, just another replicant like any of those others. One of us, you’re not special, just a pawn. Your purpose is what we say it is.

It’s no more a sequel hook than Rachel and Deckard going on the run and the Tyrell Corp’s most important mind being killed.

the entire we're going to introduce the girl for a revolution that came out of nowhere at the end of the movie
Or, the point could be, you're not supposed to know if the revolution happened or not and, if you do find out, you'll probably be waiting another 30 years for a follow up. The film doesn't need a sequel and wasn't tring to build into one, it literally ended where it needed to end - Deckard reunited with his daughter.

GhaleonEB

No actuals yet that I can find - they're trickling in for other films - but Boxofficemojo updated their estimate to $32.75M, which is $1.25M higher than the initial weekend estimate. For those looking for some tidbit of good news.

Gravity I'll grant you is incredibly on the nose at times – I liked the film but didn't venerate it as some did.

Blade Runner 2049 on the other hand is worthy of all the praise and then some. It's a brilliant film and incredibly complex; I could literally analyze that film for the next couple of years straight and probably not exhaust its nuances.

That isn't hyperbole, that's my genuine response to seeing this film actually surpass the original, which is one of my favorite films, and take it to an even deeper and more interesting place.

But hey, plenty of people don't like the original either so to each their own.

I think this film is exposing the sad truth that a lot (most?) of people are not really capable of processing or enjoying films like Blade Runner/2049.

I have spoken with quite a few people on GAF who pretty much said "not enough action its slow sux".

I know its callous to disregard moviegoers as stupid - but what other conclusions can be drawn when Jurassic World or Transformers does $1billion and this masterpiece may flop?

It's horribly saddening. But this is the world where Trump got elected, so not surprising, I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
Paul Thomas Anderson
Matthew Libatique
Roger Deakins
Emmanuel Lubezki
Hoyte Van Hoytema

Deakins will lose again
My understanding is that Lubezki probably won’t get a nom this year as one of films isn’t eligible and the other wasn’t particularly noteworthy.

yuraya

No actuals yet that I can find - they're trickling in for other films - but Boxofficemojo updated their estimate to $32.75M, which is $1.25M higher than the initial weekend estimate. For those looking for some tidbit of good news.

Good news indeed. Hopefully 2nd and 3rd week legs aren't too bad. Lets just hope enough people worldwide go see this so the gross for this can slowly crawl past breaking even. The worst thing that can come out of all of this is Denis being hindered in some way for Dune. Just like Blade Runner, that movie will require as much $ and ambition to properly pull off.

Well, on the plus side it was at least the number 1 movie in the country for the weekend. Let's hope word of mouth results in some good legs.

Trago

Hopefully WW numbers are excellent.

Again, I didn't expect this movie to be a hit, but it'd be a real shame if a great film like this flops super hard.

That's not a sequel hook.
That element was there to reinforce K's status as a random replicant nobody, just another replicant like any of those others. One of us, you're not special, just a pawn. Your purpose is what we say it is.

It's no more a sequel hook than Rachel and Deckard going on the run and the Tyrell Corp's most important mind being killed.
I don't find your example on the same level at atl, because I never had that feeling when I watched the original while this one sequel alarms went off. Listened to some reviews that clearly have the same thought process. K's status could have been shown in many other ways than sequel baiting.
Or, the point could be, you're not supposed to know if the revolution happened or not and, if you do find out, you'll probably be waiting another 30 years for a follow up. The film doesn't need a sequel and wasn't tring to build into one, it literally ended where it needed to end - Deckard reunited with his daughter.
This sounds like you're trying to make this movie sound smarter than it is.

robotrock

Banned
Can someone explain to me how movie studios and funding/producers work?

Like...this movie is made by Sony, but it’s being distributed by Warner Brothers, and this company called Alcon funded a lot of it?

Mr. Tibbs

Do we know what expectations were for opening weekend?

$45-50 million domestically, so it's performing well below expectations.

Fortunately, it performed decently internationally.

Internationally, Blade Runner met overseas expectations, debuting with an estimated $50.2 million from 63 markets, 61% of its international footprint, capturing the #1 spot in 45 of those markets. The film's opening in the UK led the way with an estimated $8 million, on par with Interstellar and ~15% ahead of Mad Max: Fury Road. In Australia the film brought in an estimated $3.6 million, topping both Interstellar (9%) and Gravity (28%) and in Russia it finished with an estimated $4.9 million, on par with Mad Max: Fury Road. Additional openings include France ($3.6M), Germany ($3.3M), Spain ($2.6M), Italy ($2.5M), Brazil ($1.8M) and Mexico ($1.6M).

Blade Runner will open in South Korea next week followed by an October 27 opening in Japan and a November 10 opening in China.

Kadayi

Banned
Good news indeed. Hopefully 2nd and 3rd week legs aren't too bad. Lets just hope enough people worldwide go see this so the gross for this can slowly crawl past breaking even. The worst thing that can come out of all of this is Denis being hindered in some way for Dune. Just like Blade Runner, that movie will require as much $ and ambition to properly pull off.

From what I read the film hasn't even been released in Japan, Korea or China yet, and I would imagine there's a decent audience there for Blade Runner. Also, it's only in the US that the film underperformed versus expectation. In Europe, it's done ok.

So what does that mean overall? More optismitic than the thread title seems?

I think it means showbiz gossip hot takes that are given on Saturdays shouldn't be taken too seriously, versus looking at the true numbers. It's already made $81 million over the weekend, without including the Asian market.

Mr. Tibbs

So what does that mean overall? More optismitic than the thread title seems?

Yep. While it's not all doom and gloom, it's worth noting that the strong international performance doesn't necessarily suggest the film's going to have long legs, but for now, 2049 grossed $84 million worldwide, and has yet to open in the world's second biggest market.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I have the day off, Columbus day, went with the wife to a 1pm showing.

It was us, another older couple, a guy about 50, and that was it in the theater. The guy by himself slept through 3/4 of the movie and snored loudly. smh

I liked it, but I liked the original, am a Philip K Dick fan, and sci-fi in general. It did plod a bit at times, I saw my wife looking at her watch a few times.

I agree the marketing of this has been bad, and with today's younger audiences having a shorter attention span, the pacing doesn't help.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Mr. Tibbs

Hopefully all of Asia pick up the slack.

I hope so, too, but exit-polling suggests that Warner Bros. didn't market the film hard enough with younger audiences and, more importantly, women. It's more narrow than they anticipated.

According to PostTrack, 65% of the film’s audience was made up of males and a whopping 77% was moviegoers over the age of 25. Children were never going to be seeing “2049” given its R rating, but Warner Bros. couldn’t capture the millennial audience that helped turn “It” into a sensation last month.

“The core of enthusiastic and loyal ‘Blade Runner’ fans were over 25 and predominantly male and propelled the film as expected to the top spot, but a lengthy running time and lesser interest among females made it tougher for the film to reach the original weekend box office projections,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

The studio's “disappointed it didn’t have a stronger result in North America.”

SeanC

Movie could spell disaster for the production company Alcon, who are also unfortunately behind the amazing TV show The Expanse. Fortunately it does sound like its just 3 people who are behind the company, so it could just be a vanity project for them.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128

Alcon has been struggling, they take big risks. Plus they don't have a deal with a studio so going to have to redo their approach to developing movies. They can't get over the hump.

GhaleonEB

So what does that mean overall? More optimistic than the thread title seems?

It's don't think it will end up as disaster or a bomb, but we need another week of actuals to see how it's going to hold up in the US, as well as more international markets. $80M WW opening weekend with a good number of territories to go.

One possible way this could play out is, since it was less front loaded over the weekend, we don't see drops as large. This is assuming it finds its audience.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What... what if Blade Runner itself is an empathy test for the masses?

Actually this is interesting. In the original, watch the first encounter between Rachel and Deckard. If you imagine Rachel is a living Voigt Kampf test, it actually works; “have you ever retired a human by mistake?”, “No”, “But in your position that is a risk”, Tyrell interjects with “Is this an empathy test?” and follows with a description of the physical responses which are usually monitored during the test.

You could totally read it as Rachel doing a test on Deckard.

I always thought it would have been a neat idea in the BR world.

berzeli

Banned
So what does that mean overall? More optimistic than the thread title seems?
Means it's too early to call w/r/t international territories, US still underperformed.

It's a shit title taken from a shit article from one of the shittiest writers covering box office, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom