• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Surfinn

its bad enough that a kids franchise like star wars poached one of the most interesting scifi directors working today with rian johnson. if they took dennis i would be so mad

Lol

Wonderful analysis

It's one movie dude. RJ is going to make it out OK I promise

You're acting like they stole his life or dragged him on board against his will

you as well

I just posted some basic reasoning on the other page

882.gif

im shook to the core

cant wait

robotrock

Banned
I just posted some basic reasoning on the other page

yeah your reasoning is nothing more than vapid nerd justification. dennis has had hits with this crowd with arrival and his tackling of blade runner, and continues to get to be a bigger name with every movie he makes.

Dennis can do whatever the fuck he wants if this takes off and is as good as it apparently is.

I’d rather it be anything but big franchises already humming away without him though. Let him continue to do OG shit like Sicario, Prisoners, Arrival with the occasional Hail Mary blockbuster like Blade Runner.

I mean if he made something for one of those huge brands I would certainly show up because he always executes well (so far) but Bond, Star Wars, etc would just end up being genre/franchise exercises most likely.

I’d plant my ass in a seat right now if he did a JP miniseries though.
Considering how he has a knack for sci-fi, he’d probably be perfect for Jurassic Park. Could you imagine him applying his great sense of building tension to the series? You know, less “killer superdino rampage” and more Spielbergian Jeep attack and raptors in the kitchen

If Episode 7 and Rogue One weren't so fucking dull and uninspired, I'd be interested in great directors taking a crack at delivering a unique vision to the franchise. I would've loved to see a Fincher take a stab at Star Wars. He's someone who's always done commercial films, but carved his own path along the way.

Clearly, the suits aren't interested in that. So why bother.

I think a fincher blade runner could have been cool too given a good script. He's had a real knack for noir before with se7en and zodiac

We'll see how World War Z 2 ends up since it's gonna be the biggest movie he's made yet. Hella curious how it ends up.

And yeah I don't really think lucasfilm is the place for these directors.

robotrock

Banned
I think a fincher blade runner could have been cool too given a good script. He's had a real knack for noir before with se7en and zodiac

We'll see how World War Z 2 ends up since it's gonna be the biggest movie he's made yet. Hella curious how it ends up.

Is Fincher really going to make a World War Z 2? I've seen this listed on his IMDB for at least a year now, but wasn't the first one a bomb? I just never hear anything about the WWZ2 project either.

(that seems like a waste of talent to me anyways but would be excited to see Fincher and Brad Pitt working together again)

Is Fincher really going to make a World War Z 2? I've seen this listed on his IMDB for at least a year now, but wasn't the first one a bomb? I just never hear anything about the WWZ2 project either.

(that seems like a waste of talent to me anyways but would be excited to see Fincher and Brad Pitt working together again)
The first made $540M worldwide, so was a pretty big success, especially considering all the production hell that followed the film.

jtb

Banned
also, I absolutely hate the idea that there are "sci-fi" directors. Sci-fi films require the same skills out of their director as a...... "normal" film does. Hollywood sci-fi films would be so much better if they hired people based on their ability to direct actual drama, and not just because they had something "science fiction" on their resume.

Looking at you, Trevorrow, you fucking hack.

I'll be surprised if WWZ2 happens too. Seems like the franchise is super dead.

also, I absolutely hate the idea that there are "sci-fi" directors. Sci-fi films require the same skills out of their director as a...... "normal" film does. Hollywood sci-fi films would be so much better if they hired people based on their ability to direct actual drama, and not just because they had something "science fiction" on their resume.

IMO, Sci-Fi is a hard genre to do properly. Very few directors nail it consistently.

Science fiction kind of requires a deft hand. A lot of directors can do great drama - some of them have done great sci-fi films (Kubrick and 2001, Denis and Arrival) - but not all directors can do great sci-fi. It’s one thing to have a great premise, but half of the difficulty in sci-fi is how you present that premise and how you make it integral to the drama and narrative. That’s difficult. Horror is similar.

Surfinn

yeah your reasoning is nothing more than vapid nerd justification. dennis has had hits with this crowd with arrival and his tackling of blade runner, and continues to get to be a bigger name with every movie he makes.

I just gave some basic points beyond OMG IT WOULD BE SO COOL for why he would work directing a character driven SW film.

That's not "vapid nerd justification"; there are legitimate reasons why he would be a good choice

Jarmel

Banned
Science fiction kind of requires a deft hand. A lot of directors can do great drama - some of them have done great sci-fi films (Kurbrick and 2001, Denis and Arrival) - but not all directors can do great sci-fi. It’s one thing to have a great premise, but half of the difficulty in sci-fi is how you present that premise and how you make it integral to the drama and narrative. That’s difficult. Horror is similar.
My understanding is that comedy is similar as well. It's about the presentation of the joke and building it into the story and setting.

robotrock

Banned
I just gave some basic points beyond OMG IT WOULD BE SO COOL for why he would work directing a character driven SW film.

That's not "vapid nerd justification"; there are legitimate reasons why he would be a good choice

I think Hideaki Anno would be a much superior choice.

It just feels like these SW superfans have just seen like a minimal amount of movies outside of Star Wars and of course will suggest other blockbuster directors to take up the Lucasfilm ante or they'll go just a tiny bit further than the surface level which is to ask for people like Denis Villeneuve.

edit: do you read the gaming side at all? To draw a comparison it reminds me of everyone asking for everything on the Switch. Just feels like they're talking about the hot thing right now.

edit2: on the bolded, i am positive and sure SW fans watch way more movies than just star wars and marvel movies. it's just when I see them ask for directors like Villeneuve, it just feels like they're going for the hot thing right now.

Considering how he has a knack for sci-fi, he’d probably be perfect for Jurassic Park. Could you imagine him applying his great sense of building tension to the series? You know, less “killer superdino rampage” and more Spielbergian Jeep attack and raptors in the kitchen

I've never been so tense watching a movie than when I was watching Prisoners. If Denis made a Jurassic Park movie with that level of tension... lord help me.

Surfinn

Prisoners was super good. Fucking horrifying but a well made film.

I think Hideaki Anno would be a much superior choice.

It just feels like these SW superfans have just seen like a minimal amount of movies outside of Star Wars and of course will suggest other blockbuster directors to take up the Lucasfilm ante or they'll go just a tiny bit further than the surface level which is to ask for people like Denis Villeneuve.

edit: do you read the gaming side at all? To draw a comparison it reminds me of everyone asking for everything on the Switch. Just feels like they're talking about the hot thing right now.

Gunna take it to PM so we don't derail any further

Anticol

Banned
I mean

Dude could eventually did a sci fi horror IN the SW universe. The obi wan film, for example, is probably going to have an incredibly different feel than the main episodes. Think the difference between Logan and X-Men

Sure, I would love for him to have directed EP9, but there are so many possibilities for him within that universe in the anthology films as well.

You're taking all that out from your ass, wtf, yeah sure a SW film will be horror and r-rated. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, no wonder what sw fanboys like you think. SW is destined to be a bunch of films pretty predictable, pg13 or g and with nothing new to offer.

Surfinn

You're taking all that out from your ass, wtf, yeah sure a SW film will be horror and r-rated. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, no wonder what sw fanboys like you think. SW is destined to be a bunch of films pretty predictable, pg13 or g and with nothing new to offer.

OK

Take a deep breath

Now that you're a little calmer,

I never said it would be guaranteed they do a horror movie. But it's POSSIBLE that they could make films that don't fall into the same category as the saga movies. Yes, they could eventually do a horror movie. I never said they would do an R film (but they could eventually, it's not outside of the realm of possibilities).

"fanboys like you"

Lol jesus man.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For fun, I went an looked at the one negative review posted to RT so far.

I didn't get past that the thumbnail photo looks like a cheap kids show villain.

v1.YzsyNDc1O2c7MTc0NjA7MjA0ODszODs0Mg

jett

D-Member
Considering how he has a knack for sci-fi, he'd probably be perfect for Jurassic Park. Could you imagine him applying his great sense of building tension to the series? You know, less ”killer superdino rampage" and more Spielbergian Jeep attack and raptors in the kitchen

137593505136.jpg

I absolutely don't want to see Denis work on sequels to a Colin Trevorrow joint. He's so above that ass-franchise.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A Villeneuve Jurassic Park would probably out Spielber Spielberg. Devoid of cheese, a dry take on such a reality would be worth the experience.

robotrock

Banned
A Villeneuve Jurassic Park would probably out Spielber Spielberg. Devoid of cheese, a dry take on such a reality would be worth the experience.

Yeah I don't see Jurassic Park getting rebooted any time soon. But I firmly believe that Crichton and my best friend Denis would be a great mix.

Plenty of people want to keep him away (stated in this very thread). But, you know, there IS a reason why lots of people have been talking about him for SW. Because he makes sense. He did an excellent job with the characters in Arrival. Rian Johnson's TLJ is literally ALL ABOUT the characters and how they handle the situations they've been dropped into.

After watching Arrival and seeing how he handled specific themes/that sort of drama (ie dealing with hardships, overcoming challenges, struggling with the past, analyzing a challenging future), yes, he does make a lot of sense.

It's not just HE'S A GOOD DIRECTOR! It's more like "he makes a lot of sense for the type of film they could potentially make".

I Don’t wanna gonna jump on you like everyone else. But the reasons you list for him being an obvious and perfect fit for Star Wars are very broad similarities you could draw to just about any film with a superficial connective tissue of “sci fi.” Blade Runner and Arrival and Star Wars are all sci fi, but they could not feel farther apart from each other.

Yes, maybe some years down the line with more movies in the new Star Wars franchise (maybe after the trilogy is finished), they might want to make a slow methodical character focused Star Wars film. They might write a screenplay that demands Villeneuve’s directorial style. But you’re saying he is a perfect fit for a fantasy movie that doesnt exist. You could say that Villeneuve is a perfect fit for the MCU because he could potentially make a movie that they might want to make. But right now neither franchises are interested in a movie that has a strong auteurs vision behind it that diverts from the consistent tone they’ve been trying to establish.

Surfinn

I Don't wanna gonna jump on you like everyone else. But the reasons you list for him being an obvious and perfect fit for Star Wars are very broad similarities you could draw to just about any film with a superficial connective tissue of ”sci fi." Blade Runner and Arrival and Star Wars are all sci fi, but they could not feel farther apart from each other.

Yes, maybe some years down the line with more movies in the new Star Wars franchise (maybe after the trilogy is finished), they might want to make a slow methodical character focused Star Wars film. They might write a screenplay that demands Villeneuve's directorial style. But you're saying he is a perfect fit for a fantasy movie that doesnt exist. You could say that Villeneuve is a perfect fit for the MCU because he could potentially make a movie that they might want to make. But right now neither franchises are interested in a movie that has a strong auteurs vision behind it that diverts from the consistent tone they've been trying to establish.

I don't think I said he would be perfect? I said based on the reasons I listed, that I thought he could make a great film in the SW universe.

I'm not sure why people think that is some outlandish or silly thing to say. It's not like I'm calling for some indie/arthouse film director who hasn't had huge successes.

He's making fucking DUNE, which inspired SW. Not hard to imagine arriving at the conclusion (based on his previous films) that he could do something special in either an anthology film or saga film. At this point, he makes more sense than even Rian Johnson, who directed the next saga film.

You don't have to WANT him to do a SW film but there's a much better argument to make for why he SHOULD rather than SHOULDN'T.

Assuming he would even want to eventually.

robotrock

Banned
If we're asking for Dune directors to come back to Star Wars, gimme that Lynch Star Wars. I just need to hear the fights between him and Lucasfilm. The movie doesn't have to come out.

7Th

What great director, that doesn't have a few duds regardless of genre, has failed when approaching sci-fi? I honestly can't think of any.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't think I said he would be perfect? I said based on the reasons I listed, that I thought he could make a great film in the SW universe.

I'm not sure why people think that is some outlandish or silly thing to say. It's not like I'm calling for some indie/arthouse film director who hasn't had huge successes.

He's making fucking DUNE, which inspired SW. Not hard to imagine arriving at the conclusion (based on his previous films) that he could do something special in either an anthology film or saga film. At this point, he makes more sense than even Rian Johnson, who directed the next saga film.

You don't have to WANT him to do a SW film but there's a much better argument to make for why he SHOULD rather than SHOULDN'T.

Assuming he would even want to eventually.

You seem to be the only person in this thread riding this idea hard.

Surfinn

You seem to be the only person in this thread riding this idea hard.

Why are people pretending like I'm the first person to talk about Denis Villeneuve directing a SW movie.. Literally all I said is that I think he could make a great SW film. There was a reason he was chosen for Dune, right? Are we gunna pretend like that's far off of SW?

And that I don't think his talents would be wasted on something he had creative control over (like JJ and Rian Johnson).

Nobody has to agree with me, but I don't understand the outrage over my opinion. Dude is 49 and could be making movies for another 20 years or so.

Anyway, I've tried to take it to PM multiple times, which is how I will respond to the rest of the replies about this

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
he looks more like a Mathieu to me.

^^which actually fits with the Jesus theme lol. Un des quatre apôtres de Jésus.

Tu m'aurais plus eu avec Pierre mettons. Denis need cinematic apostles now. Directors to preach his good news. And one will backstab him and fuck him over to direct a reboot of Mac and Me in like 2027. For 30 millions.

Surfinn

I wanna read the reviews but I wanna keep the surprise alive too.

So are they pretty much done being posted until the film releases?

Surfinn

My unsolicited advice would be to not read them.

I'm going in blind, like Flash Gordon on a rocket cycle. :)

I got spoiled big time in the past so I do wanna be careful.

And considering somebody already posted a (semi?) spoiler in the comment section of a review I think I'm just gunna stick it out until Friday.

Sounds like you've got the right idea

Top Bottom