• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Needlecrash

To me, the game is basically Demon's Souls 2. I'm already sold on this.

For anyone not wanting to click the links, just know that you WON'T be disappointed come March. :)

I haven't even touched the game and I already hate those dogs XD
I hope they iron out the framerate hiccups and slight graphical glitches. I don't even mind the aliasing. Art direction is through the roof!
Miyazaki is a genious.

T.O.P

Banned
Seems like a bloody fantastic Souls game as expected

I'm just hoping to see a solid 30fps framerate and good dose of AA in the final game

bwakh

Oh shit! This game is intense. Will be playing a FROM game first time this March. The combat looks amazing. Being a Soul's newbie, I want to ask if there will be a wide variety of weapons to choose from later on in the game with different attack animations and the works? Im assuming yes.

Mandelbo

Oh shit! This game is intense. Will be playing a FROM game first time this March. The combat looks amazing. Being a Soul's newbie, I want to ask if there will be a wide variety of weapons to choose from later on in the game with different attack animations and the works? Im assuming yes.

Going by the previous souls games, there'll be potentially hundreds of weapons spread across a number of different categories. Swords, axes, hammers, greatswords, scythes... There're a lot of weapons in these games :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
A bit disappointed to see so many animations from past souls games make it into this game in retrospect. Of course there's plenty of new ones, next video better include some weapons we haven't seen before. ._.

http://a.pomf.se/xgngpj.webm

People need to stop confusing "different time of day" with "downgrade".
Feel like there needs to be a new thread just on this subject because it happened to the Witcher recently as well.

What do people see in this game again?

Aren't you a big Monster Hunter fan? Ask yourself why people like Monster Hunter. I'm not comparing the two as far as gameplay goes, but they have similarities as far as fans, who are die hard and swear by them, and people who don't "get" it.

Either way I'm day one for both.

They should at least add some FXAA. Or would that have any impact on performance? Framerate didn't look good in the first place. FXAA must be the least resource hungry AA technique out there, no?
These flickering jaggies really spoil the otherwhise spectacular scenery.

MilkBeard

Dude, Hunstman's Copse and FotFG are possibly the only two that are not corridors. There is little to no exploration in the game. Copse has it, but I have a feeling that was the very first zone they ever worked on, along with FotFG. Heide's, Iron Keep, Earthen Peak, Drangleic Castle, Lost Bastille, and almost every other zone are all corridors. There is no exploration, you just keep going forward until you hit a bonfire or a boss fog. Come on man, Sinner's Rise is literally a straight path to the door to Lost Sinner.

Yeah, I'm calling bull on the whole 'DS2 is a corridor' thing. While it's true that the game does consist of more straight paths than Dark Souls, there are quite a few branching paths and secrets. To say the game has no exploration is a complete farce. The entire experience is exploration.

DS2map1.jpg

While, like I said, it's true that the branching paths do end up being more straight progression, the game offers a lot of choice as to which path you can take at any point. There's even the fact that you can skip a bunch of areas in the game. At one point the game opens up and gives the player the ability to choose his/her own path. To say there is no exploration, again, is a farce.

Now, to say how well the maps have been designed, that can be argued.

RangerX

Banned
I was already as hyped as I possibly could be considering my reverence for the souls games, but that blew me into another dimension. I love the dream refuge.

I haven't even touched the game and I already hate those dogs XD

That dash move is going to get a lot of use once I realize how frustrating it's going to be to fight a group of dogs without a shield. XD

Art direction is sharp as hell. Love that overbearing Gothic architecture. I can do without anti-aliasing as long as I can distinguish environment from enemy.

I find the camerawork during the Cleric Beast fight a tad troubling. The way the camera gets all squished up might make it tricky to pick up visual cues and figure out what the boss will do next. Over time, experience will compensate for that and I'll probably be able to dodge hits based on audio cues alone, but I'd like to see the camera moved back a bit all the same.

Looks pretty good, but I find it jarring when the weapons disappear when he opens a door, and then reappear again. I hope they have some animations for that in the final build.

Buburibon

What do people see in this game again?

I see "Demon/Dark Souls: The Victorian Bloodborne Curse", and that's amazing. I just love everything about these games, and the way they make me feel. The intricate and unforgiving gameplay, unique world design and atmosphere, the "trademark" sound effects and musical score, the narrative/lore being told by NPCs scattered throughout the world, etc.

Wakka212

Looks pretty good, but I find it jarring when the weapons disappear when he opens a door, and then reappear again. I hope they have some animations for that in the final build.

Very much agreed. The lack of basic animations like those is a pet peeve of mine. Definitley not a deal breaker but still, I hope they address that issue.

Aside from the glorious gameplay and art direction, I think this game looks graphically rough around the edges. Again, not enough to be a deal breaker.

The biggest deal breaker for me would be a weak or unstable framerate. If they can nail a consistent 30fps, I'm all in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i'mdone

godnight

takriel

I'm really really glad that there's actual good Souls music in this game again. Dks 2 was so forgettable in this regard...

VertPin

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME

I really want to go into this game blind. Absolutely will not watch the footage.

But I must know based on today's footage...

is the world design
structured like Dark Souls, or is it Nexus based like Demon's Souls?

I don't want to come back to this thread in fear of spoiling the footage through gifs...could someone PM me if they know from this footage? Thank you.

I really want to go into this game blind. Absolutely will not watch the footage.

is the world design

I don't want to come back to this thread in fear of spoiling the footage through gifs...could someone PM me if they know from this footage? Thank you.

Uh it appears to be both, if that makes any sense at all. Oops, just saw the PM thing!

tcrunch

is the world design

It seems like it has elements of both. As you explore the world you open up more checkpoints to warp to.
edit: Beelzebufo'd

is the world design

It appears to have
a Nexus of sorts in the Hunter's Dream, but the outside world seems to be completely connected. There are new Archstones, this time in the form of lamps, that can warp you back to the Hunter's Dream. We won't know if this is 100% correct until the game is released, or they show more footage of zones other than the city.

Sinner's rise is not a level, the level is the Bastille. And the Bastille is full of secrets, shortcuts.

I agree that the various areas are disconnected and that's what i don't like but the levels are very good and there ios plenrty of exploration.

A corridor game is FFXIII, surely not DSII

About this gameplay video, it looks amazing. But i am not saying GOTY yet as many already did, i have to play it.

Corridor zones in Dark Souls 2:

Heide's Tower of Flame
Harvest Valley
Iron Keep
Shaded Woods
Doors of Pharros
Tseldora
Black Gulch
Drangleic Castle
Shrine of Amana
Undead Crypt
Aldia's Keep
Dragon Aerie
Dragon Shrine

Zones with a reasonable degree of complexity:

Forest of the Fallen Giants
No-man's Wharf (I'm being generous because I like the level)
Lost Bastille
Huntsman's Copse
Earthen Peak
Gutter

Buburibon

They should at least add some FXAA. Or would that have any impact on performance? Framerate didn't look good in the first place. FXAA must be the least resource hungry AA technique out there, no?
These flickering jaggies really spoil the otherwhise spectacular scenery.

It looks like they're already using post-processing AA in game. The fine detail shimmering is most likely due to shader aliasing, and I'm afraid only high levels of downsampling/supersampling would be effective in cleaning it up a bit.

Looks....kinda on the easy side. Visually magnificent but it seems like they really scaled down the difficulty. That could hurt the long term.

sn00zer

Really hope bb keeps the exploration from dark souls. Just a million nooks and crannies with treasure and pathways to new areas. Nothing beats finding a hidden trail you assume is just going to lead to treasure and instead you find a whole new area to explore.

Neoweee

Imru’ al-Qays;150296636 said:
Corridor zones in Dark Souls 2:

Heide's Tower of Flame
Harvest Valley
Iron Keep
Shaded Woods
Doors of Pharros
Tseldora
Black Gulch
Drangleic Castle
Shrine of Amana
Undead Crypt
Aldia's Keep
Dragon Aerie
Dragon Shrine

Zones with a reasonable degree of complexity:

Forest of the Fallen Giants
No-man's Wharf (I'm being generous because I like the level)
Lost Bastille
Huntsman's Copse
Earthen Peak
Gutter

Tseldora, Dragon Aerie, Shaded Woods, and Harvest Valley as "corridors"? Are you joking?

Oh, sorry, I guess I'm not viewing things critically enough!

pixxxelz

Can you parry in this game? I've been trying not to spoil myself too much so I haven't been following this, but I couldn't resist and watched this and I don't think I saw this guy parryng once

Top Bottom