• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

How the hell do you know where to go? That's the one thing that puts me off about it, and Dark Souls. What's the point?

1eeiuog4.png

bigol

It's better than DS2. This isn't a corridor game. I was legit lost when he was running around at times, and I played that alpha every day for the full amount of time, including the unfinished area.

Lol, corridor game. The forest of the fallen Giants is not a corridor, as many other parts arew not a corridor. It's so cute to see people dismissing DS2 as a corridor game

Type-Zero

I hope no one hates me for this.But people on the fence about watching it due to spoilers should watch it. Its really not that bad. If your really trying to avoid spoiler just skip like the first 3 minutes. Its worth it.

I realise that I am and will be in the minority here, but the more I see of this game, the more I'm conflicted about it.

One the one hand it does in most ways look like a Souls game, with stronger ties to Demon's and Dark Souls 1 going by the sounds and animations, and that by itself should be enough to get pumped for it.

On the other hand, I'm not getting pumped yet because this game has made me realise something: for me, the past Souls games were so enjoyable because of how the semi-realistic medieval dark fantasy setting framed the tactical combat and exploration. This new Victorian setting for some reason isn't as appealing to me, at least not in a Souls-type game where one needs to feel as if the world is harbouring secrets and lore everywhere.

I am also not a big fan of the weapons showns so far. I tend to like simple, realistic looking weapons like swords and daggers (not counting the larger, over-the-top looking ones in the Souls games, which I never used either) and don't really know what to make of the mechanical, crude looking ones used here. Having the guns as defensive weapons that do little damage also don't make much sense I feel, and I had preferred the return of shields or some kind of more logical long distance, lower damage weapon like a whip or crossbow to stun enemies (speaking of the enemies: is it just me or are others also feeliing mixed about the basic enemies now being mostly human looking and sounding hunters instead of lumbering zombies? It feels a bit weird going around and killing them, though I suppose that will be explained in the story to some degree).

Both the environments, character outfits and weapons now have a - for lack of a better term - over-designed look to them, almost as if Miyazaki and his team this time are consciously trying to give us cool looking stuff (to kills things with) instead of just doing their thing creating more or less subtle designs that end up being cool and impressive.

Sigh, quite a conundrum for me, this game. I do feel it is important for the team to try and go beyond the Souls (and King's Field) games, but maybe they've lost some key parts of that unique atmosphere and experience along the way at this point by going to a more modern setting with more mechanical designs? I'll remain hopeful that everything will click for me eventually when I actually get to play it though.

The concern is real. Your jumping to a lot of conclusions without having actually played the game. This is equivalent to saying the game has less soul in it compared to the others. With no real basis for saying such.

'Dream Refuge' is also a great name for a location. There's no telling what you may encounter in there.

I could see the area changing appearance based on the character's psyche. Like if you're more on the beast side the flowers would wilt, the moon/sky would turn red, etc. Would be pretty sweet.

I gotta say, I appreciate the stat cleanup. A health stat, endurance stat, strength and dex, and two others. Bloodtinge and Arcane being faith and int? Or guns and int?

this might be a dumb question but after having read the premise of the game is it possible that the actual bloodborne disease will be incorporated into the game at all?

Sami+

Interesting! So there's an actual HUB hub now that you can warp too. That's actually really cool - it takes the perks of both the Nexus and the interconnected world of Dark Souls and puts them together. I dig it.

The only thing that worries me is collectible vials. I really like the Estus system in DkS1 - I don't want to step down to grass/gems or whatever again.

Anung

Un Rama
The urge to watch this is real and the hype is killing me. But I'm gonna hold off watching because I want to go in fresh.

This is the absolute worst possible game to show off as an IGN first.... Just because I will be purposely ignoring every thing about it so I can go into bloodborne blind.

Facism

Looks like we'll have another wave of "the game does not explain anything" incoming, since there doesn't seem to be a button for detailed stats. Or they've hidden it away in the stats screen only.

Square: Display?

sn00zer

To ppl worried about watching. Just skip the first 7min, turns out the first area is what theyve been showing for the alpha and game show events. This just looks to be a newer build. The player alo skips over a ton of stuff.w

I'm so hyped for this game! Unfortunately it come out around the due date of my wife and I first child. I think I need to have a seriously talk with my wife and let her watch this video. She'll understand she has to parent alone, right?....
JK, I'll probably have little time to play this beautiful game:(

Lol, corridor game. The forest of the fallen Giants is not a corridor, as many other parts arew not a corridor. It's so cute to see people dismissing DS2 as a corridor game

Dude, Hunstman's Copse and FotFG are possibly the only two that are not corridors. There is little to no exploration in the game. Copse has it, but I have a feeling that was the very first zone they ever worked on, along with FotFG. Heide's, Iron Keep, Earthen Peak, Drangleic Castle, Lost Bastille, and almost every other zone are all corridors. There is no exploration, you just keep going forward until you hit a bonfire or a boss fog. Come on man, Sinner's Rise is literally a straight path to the door to Lost Sinner.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've watched this 4 times now... not enough...

Anung

Un Rama
To ppl worried about watching. Just skip the first 7min, turns out the first area is what theyve been showing for the alpha and game show events. This just looks to be a newer build. The player alo skips over a ton of stuff.w

Done and done. And I mean done.

Top Bottom