• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

AlphaDump

Gold Member
EntireRevolvingAmericanratsnake.gif

that looks like a painting. holy shit

tesqui

Didn't realize the area they've been showing off at all the conventions was the first level of the game.

So I've basically seen the majority of this video already... besides the VERY beginning bits like the nexus type area.

I realise that I am and will be in the minority here, but the more I see of this game, the more I'm conflicted about it.

One the one hand it does in most ways look like a Souls game, with stronger ties to Demon's and Dark Souls 1 going by the sounds and animations, and that by itself should be enough to get pumped for it.

On the other hand, I'm not getting pumped yet because this game has made me realise something: for me, the past Souls games were so enjoyable because of how the semi-realistic medieval dark fantasy setting framed the tactical combat and exploration. This new Victorian setting for some reason isn't as appealing to me, at least not in a Souls-type game where one needs to feel as if the world is harbouring secrets and lore everywhere.

I am also not a big fan of the weapons showns so far. I tend to like simple, realistic looking weapons like swords and daggers (not counting the larger, over-the-top looking ones in the Souls games, which I never used either) and don't really know what to make of the mechanical, crude looking ones used here. Having the guns as defensive weapons that do little damage also don't make much sense I feel, and I had preferred the return of shields or some kind of more logical long distance, lower damage weapon like a whip or crossbow to stun enemies (speaking of the enemies: is it just me or are others also feeliing mixed about the basic enemies now being mostly human looking and sounding hunters instead of lumbering zombies? It feels a bit weird going around and killing them, though I suppose that will be explained in the story to some degree).

Both the environments, character outfits and weapons now have a - for lack of a better term - over-designed look to them, almost as if Miyazaki and his team this time are consciously trying to give us cool looking stuff (to kills things with) instead of just doing their thing creating more or less subtle designs that end up being cool and impressive.

Sigh, quite a conundrum for me, this game. I do feel it is important for the team to try and go beyond the Souls (and King's Field) games, but maybe they've lost some key parts of that unique atmosphere and experience along the way at this point by going to a more modern setting with more mechanical designs? I'll remain hopeful that everything will click for me eventually when I actually get to play it though.

While I'm sure a lot of us can appreciate your concerns, I couldnt' disagree more with every single thing that you've said. Everything about the setting is a complete breath of fresh air and I hope we don't go back to a DeS/Dark style setting for a while. Heck, I hope we don't come back to BBs setting for a while either, I think DeS to Dark to BB to...something different, is a much better and more interesting path.

Sane_Man

I need this game in my life. That looked insanely good.

I'm glad I'm not as nitpicky as some of the people in this thread. My god.

Game4life

Banned
While I'm sure a lot of us can appreciate your concerns, I couldnt' disagree more with every single thing that you've said. Everything about the setting is a complete breath of fresh air and I hope we don't go back to a DeS/Dark style setting for a while. Heck, I hope we don't come back to BBs setting for a while either, I think DeS to Dark to BB to...something different, is a much better and more interesting path.

Yup. This is so much more interesting looking than Souls. Love the aspect of talking to residents in the houses through windows as well. Adds so much mystery to the whole thing. Damn this game cant come soon enough. Looks absolutely stunning!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Find it incredibly weird that there are no npcs at the starting hub doing repairs etc, my guess would be that this is either not the final game or this isnt the hub the whole game

I suspect it might fill out with additional NPC's/Areas as you progress, nexus v2 style.

The whole thing seems like a much closer relative to Demons' rather than Dark Souls (II) - to the extent I'm wondering if the TOD changes they've hinted at aren't a more visually differentiated iteration of World Tendency.

I'm excited to see how it all works, especially by the meaning of some of the more cryptically named attributes on the status display. "Blood Echoes" ?, "Insight" ? So pleased that it isn't just more of the same, as the suprise element is really important imho to the feel of the games. It certainly was DSII's Kryptonite in my opinion.

Game4life

Banned
Can't do it guys. I must resist. Enjoy

It is not that spoilery at all. It just shows the hub but no new enemies, weapons etc.. It is surprisingly a very well done video to showcase what the game is about without spoiling anything. Go for it. You know you want to!

Because DkS1 is clearly, unambiguously different in that regard from both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2? You can do Tower of Latria or the the fourth zone first if you want. You can do Heide's first if you want. Dark Souls 1 stands out as having the most gating that is not skill-based, unlike the rest of the "series".

It is really goddamn condescending and arrogant to say "anyone capable of critical thought", especially in a case where it defies the logic and flow of other games in the same series.

You don't seem to be thinking about these games' world design very critically. Dark 1 is actually quite similar to Demon's Souls in terms of its early layout.

You can do worlds 4 or 5 first in Demon's Souls, but a new player trying to pull that shit is going to get wrecked. In that respect Demon's isn't much different from Dark 1: it gives you several choices but clearly expects a new player to figure out which of them are incorrect. The only substantive difference is that Demon's is explicit about what its choices are via a level select screen whereas Dark 1 has the player figure out for himself what the potential paths he could go down are. Anyone, but especially anyone who's played Demon's Souls, should be able to figure out that the path with all the easy hollows is the best one to go down upon starting Dark Souls.

Dark 1 does only have one valid path at the very beginning of the game, but even then it's no different from Demon's: both games start with a tutorial zone and then an easy introductory zone. In Demon's you are forced to complete the introductory zone, in Dark 1 it's technically optional but only for experienced players.

Dark 1's system is superior in this respect: it gives an appropriate amount of guidance to new players, while simultaneously allowing more experienced players to go immediately to more advanced areas for added risk/reward.

aly

It might just be because of watching instead of playing, but I got lost watching them take those corners and shortcuts. That made it even more exciting.

Brydo0

Neo Member
The gameplay has me even more confident that this is going to be something truly great. Very excited to immerse myself in Bloodborne come March.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
is it because it's youtube quality or has the graphics been downscaled a bit?

The aliasing is terrible but I'm assuming IGN's player is at least partly responsible for that. The other differences might just be attributable to time of day.

That's not to say I will be surprised if it doesn't end up looking as good as previous trailers or the alpha, but for now I'm withholding judgment.

Primeau31

big improvement framerate wise from the alpha. Not final build so I'm hoping we see the AA improve.

Regain system has definitely been nerfed from the alpha as well, hilarious as ppl were using this to point to their "GAME WILL BE EASIER!!!!!11" arguments.

Enjoy the different day of time used from the alpha as well, and someone earlier had a really interesting theory - could World Tendency return with the time of day as a way of showing it? hnnnnnnnnngggggggg

Thank God IGN is doing this, will make the wait a bit less painful.

Jashobeam

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers, the game is almost 2 months away and after playing through the Order 1886 and other games between now and then, you probably won't remember much of it anyways lol. If you watched the previous demo playthroughs than you've seen like 80% of this video already.

Rurunaki

The aliasing is terrible but I'm assuming IGN's player is at least partly responsible for that. The other differences might just be attributable to time of day.

That's not to say I will be surprised if it doesn't end up looking as good as previous trailers or the alpha, but for now I'm withholding judgment.

I need a direct footage of this game. It looks less "wet" even the Cleric Beasts felt like it lost some animations. Do we know if this is the final build?

I need a direct footage of this game. It looks less "wet" even the Cleric Beasts felt like it lost some animations. Do we know if this is the final build?

game is not gold yet, nothing is final build

this is very likely a much more further along build then anything we have seen before though

sn00zer

Really gotta hand it to whoever has been working on marketing. Had no idea the alpha as well as pretty much every gameplay demo for E3, Gamescom, TGS etc. has only been the opening area. They are doing a damn good job of keeping everything under wraps.

Also that art design/style is in-fucking-credible. This game looks like its fixing pretty much all the gripes I had with Dark Souls. Stats have been cut down and renamed to what looks like more self explanatory titles, gameplay has been sped up significantly and looks to play like an action game that emphasizes directional dodging, (something I havenst seen since Darksiders 2), environments look interesting, and its in a new setting free from Tolkien-esque fantasy tropes. Really hoping that Bloodborne bundle is coming stateside. Picking up The Order and Bloodborne at the same time would be great.

Neoweee

Also that art design/style is in-fucking-credible. This game looks like its fixing pretty much all the gripes I had with Dark Souls. Stats have been cut down and renamed to what looks like more self explanatory titles, gameplay has been sped up significantly and looks to play like an action game that emphasizes directional dodging, (something I havenst seen since Darksiders 2), environments look interesting, and its in a new setting free from Tolkien-esque fantasy tropes. Really hoping that Bloodborne bundle is coming stateside. Picking up The Order and Bloodborne at the same time would be great.

Hopefully none of the six stats are near-worthless, bogey stats like were in Demon's or Dark Souls 1.

Or maybe those dumb stats really did have a legitimate, balanced purpose. Maybe I'm not viewing Dark Souls 1 critically enough, or something.

Top Bottom