• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think that many of you underestimate the power of Vita, i would like you to remember that while many PS3 ports are native res(+ AA sometimes) the original PS3 games were only 720p(not 1080p) so on Vita they are relatively "better", imo there's no PS360 multi(exclusives are another thing) that a good team can't port on Vita, obviously a game that already runs bad on PS3 won't run better on Vita...
Remember that a port result doesn't rely only on the hardware, but even on its developer's skills, experience on the hardware, granted time and money etc, concluding that Vita is weak because a port is bad is like saying that the PS3 is weak because a certain game runs bad or that Vita is weaker than a PS2 because its ports are not perfect.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy crap. Game looks like PS3 quality. It's gorgeous. Probably the best Vita port ever. Somebody pass skyrim and dragons age to these guys

I guess this is one of those cases where the game needs to be seen running, live, on the platform to really appreciate its looks.

I mean, I understand with the scope of the levels and such it'd be unfair to compare it graphically to KZ:M (which also runs at a lower and non-native resolution) but to me on videos like this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fAZy3dfwT1k

it looks horribly similar to a bad toon-shaded Wii game... they should be careful in how they publicize the game, it looks way bad and instead it seems it's actually a visual feast

$h@d0w

Clocking in at 5.4GB is this the biggest Vita game yet? Also, does this mean developers can use 8GB game cards now?

I guess this is one of those cases where the game needs to be seen running, live, on the platform to really appreciate its looks.

I mean, I understand with the scope of the levels and such it'd be unfair to compare it graphically to KZ:M (which also runs at a lower and non-native resolution) but to me on videos like this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fAZy3dfwT1k

it looks horribly similar to a bad toon-shaded Wii game... they should be careful in how they publicize the game, it looks way bad and instead it seems it's actually a visual feast

Killzone is native and it has AA.

I'm relatively glad, think I'd fail my exams if it were sooner...

Yup! Actually kind of a good thing it comes out later, my last ever exam at university is the 19th May. This would be too much of a distraction.

This was posted on r/vita but I haven't seen it here so far - it's 13 minutes of direct feed gameplay, no commentary, no cuts, from a little bit further into the game (past Southern Shelf). I strongly recommend watching it on your vita instead of your PC if possible - it looks really really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujNRix2gBLM

Dragon

Banned
It indeed is impressive. Who knows if a game of this scope will ever be ported to Vita again though.

This game pushed the PS360 to its limits, both of which are much more powerful than Vita. I'd never heard of Iron Galaxy before this, but they are on my radar now for their future projects.

They're taking over for Double Helix with Killer Instinct Season 2, so pay attention to that. They do some good work.

AwRy108

Holy crap. Game looks like PS3 quality. It's gorgeous. Probably the best Vita port ever. Somebody pass skyrim and dragons age to these guys

Don't get your hopes up, nobody can even be bothered to localize the Vita version of PSO2, despite the fact that the game had been finished for a year and fans have already made an English translation on the PC.

It's actually really impressive that they've got it running on the vita. Yeah the visuals aren't that great but considering the bulk of vita games don't have nearly this scope it's a bit of a technical marvel. Gonna preorder it even though I'm yet to play the pc version i own.

jamsy

Killzone is native and it has AA.

Killlzone has a dynamic resolution. So it's native when you stand still but resolution drops when you're moving around and there's lots of stuff going on. Still the best looking portable game I've ever seen though.

This game looks OK, but looks so much worse than it does on my laptop where I can max everything out. Think I'll skip this for the time being.

Putosaure

I'm waiting to see it on the Vita screen.

For now it looks like PC version when the Unreal Engine fails to load the textures.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Picked up the Borderlands 2 Vita bundle last night and just wanted to add my hat into the ring with those who have said it runs pretty darn well and is very enjoyable to play.

I only played the PC version of 2 for a handful of hours, but to be honest, I don't really notice much of a difference here. The menus are just as sluggish as they used to be, but aside from that, the game plays well.

The "bodies disappear after being killed" problem is actually something of a boon, too, as mobs are "gibbed" into a red, chunky mist upon death, which results in a nice bit of visual feedback for a kill. I actually prefer it to the PC game, where kills sometimes feel a bit flat. Likewise, the integrated voice chat for the Vita works pretty well for co-op, too.

I was originally planning to just try it and ditch it for Killzone, but after playing it for a few hours, I think I'm going to play it all the way through. PSN ID is "FrankCaron" for anyone who wants to multiplayer.

BnB9s_NIAAAYZ6O.jpg

Ohnonono

So did this actually turn out to be pretty much a best case scenario considering what they were trying to do? I am pumped!

Hollycat

To anyone looking at these screenshots and saying "ew that looks terrible" Those don't represent what the game actually looks like. Like I said before, look at the PS3 version and imagine slightly few enemies and you can't see quite as far. That's basically what we got. It may be the best looking game on Vita now.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
So did this actually turn out to be pretty much a best case scenario considering what they were trying to do? I am pumped!
I would say absolutely yes.

If this is indicative of Sony listening to the fans re: Vita, I'm ready to throw money day and night for these kinds of ports.

Yup! Actually kind of a good thing it comes out later, my last ever exam at university is the 19th May. This would be too much of a distraction.

This was posted on r/vita but I haven't seen it here so far - it's 13 minutes of direct feed gameplay, no commentary, no cuts, from a little bit further into the game (past Southern Shelf). I strongly recommend watching it on your vita instead of your PC if possible - it looks really really good.

Yeah, DO THIS. Watching the footage on my Vita has elevated it to a "definitely buy" for me. Looks just like playing it on Xbox, more or less.

wilflare

Me too. I remapped the controls so that crouching is rear left, switching weapons is rear right, circle is to run, and triangle is to melee, which has been working a lot better for me.

Will give it a try after I'm done with the overnight cycling... haha

MattyG

Banned

Wow, that's pretty impressive. It seems the biggest issue is all the pop in, but that isn't a deal breaker. Hopefully this successful and we get the rest of the DLC ported over.

anddo0

Me too. I remapped the controls so that crouching is rear left, switching weapons is rear right, circle is to run, and triangle is to melee, which has been working a lot better for me.

I find myself hitting the right-rear touch pad a lot. So, I put sprint there and mapped weapon switch to circle. I figure, you sprint very often in this game, if I'm going to be accidentally hitting a button it may as well be that.

What were your expectations for this Vita port that was attempting to pull off a fairly technically demanding FPS game that has framerate issues on even the PS360? Did you expect graphical and gameplay parity with the much more powerful consoles?

I think based on the size and scope of Borderlands 2, it's quite an achievement to even pull off what they did. Maybe I'm easily impressed being old enough to remember when Atari 2600 was released. :p

no, im saying that people here are saying this looks as good as the ps3 version. I've only dabbled in the pc version but i really don't think that would look that much better than ps3, and the vita one looks substantially worse than anything.... but i will try to watch it on my vita.

Sold my code for $36, but i might rebuy later when its cheaper if its ok.

can you map stuff to the front touchscreen? I'd rather mess with that than the rear.

EL CUCO

Oh man...from the footage I've seen, the game looks alot easier on the Vita. Like the AI brains have been dialed back to 0 and I dont see more than 4 enemies at a time.

I might finally get the Platinum now :D

Oh man...from the footage I've seen, the game looks alot easier on the Vita. Like the AI brains have been dialed back to 0 and I dont see more than 4 enemies at a time.

I might finally get the Platinum now :D

Maybe its cloud-powered AI, which is brain-dead by design so that you can get more kills and level up faster.

antibolo

Banned
Well damn, I may actually buy this.

I was patiently waiting for the day the Vita would get a good FPS. Looks like this is it.

Clocking in at 5.4GB is this the biggest Vita game yet? Also, does this mean developers can use 8GB game cards now?

But will the retail version actually include all that content on the game card? Probably not. The core game will probably be still under 3.2GB, with other stuff as DLC.

BigDug13

Hey, I'm not talking about road to work and home, I'm talking about lengthy trips like on bus, train or on airplane.

It works just fine if you were lucky enough to get the discontinued Nyko power grip. I get nearly 10 hours on mine when holding that thing.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
Is there any gameplay changes like faster leveling? Less enemies on screen would give me that impression

dab0ne

Yep do this. The loads are pretty long but looks great on the vita.

maouvin

i never played this game before
so,is there really 87 Bazillion guns in the game ?

Sort of. I don't remember the real numbers, but each weapon is made of 6 or 7 (or more) different parts, and each part has a number of possible options (and each option has it's value range for stats), set by RNG. So you multiply things and get your bazillion guns.

iirc BL1 had around 17 million weapon possibilities. BL2 expanded that. But don't expect 870 gajillion significantly different guns, since, for that matter, if it's not exactly the same stats, it's a different gun.

BigDug13

Is there any gameplay changes like faster leveling? Less enemies on screen would give me that impression

You gain the most exp from quest completions and badass/boss kills. As long as those are intact, exp should be fine. In fact, you'll complete your quests faster overall since there are less enemies which means faster quest completion experience.

Pics_nao

Played it for a few hours last night. Goddamn this blew away my expectations. When I play on PC I play on basically the absolute lowest settings and was expecting something like that but damn. Iron Galaxy da gawd
EWmof.gif

Anyone getting the "You don't have this DLC so the content won't load" message when they boot up the game? I downloaded everything and I keep getting that message.

Played it for a few hours last night. Goddamn this blew away my expectations. When I play on PC I play on basically the absolute lowest settings and was expecting something like that but damn. Iron Galaxy da gawd
EWmof.gif

Anyone getting the "You don't have this DLC so the content won't load" message when they boot up the game? I downloaded everything and I keep getting that message.

I got that once. Hit cancel and it'll go back to the title screen and check again. Second time it didn't have the error. However, this only happened once for me.

Top Bottom