• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
For ATL Metro peeps:

zRZrQ.jpg

I don't know if any other AMC theaters are going to be showing this.

gimmmick

So me, a couple of peeps from work (servers, runners. cooks and our chef) were hanging outside before service yesterday. Apparently the girl we were all checking out (who was smoking hot) when they came out of the hall way from the hotel was apparently Ortiz's girl friend, himself and his little entourage. It took us a while to know who he was until one runner said "good luck tomorrow". He said thanks haha.

So much Hype. Ortiz is going to be very aggressive early and will probably be made a fool of for it. He'll probably calm down by the 4th and then he will be forced to play Floyd's style. If Floyd has ever been in trouble of losing, though, tonight is the night.

But I have to go with the Hometown man. WAR MAYWEATHER

TheNatural

My Member!
Baby Milo said:
you make a bold prediction for every card for every combat sport

hell yeah some blood and urine being taking is definately above and beyond

....when your cheating

Why do people keep saying this shit? Pacquaio dropped the weird ass blood testing refusal long ago and was going to play Floyd little childish games to get the fight finally done and ... surprise ... Floyd didn't want the fight. Shocker.

On June 12, 2010, the President of Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya, stated during an interview with a Spanish network that the deal for the fight was very close and the negotiation process has been very difficult. On June 30, 2010, Arum announced that the management of both sides had agreed to terms, that all points had been settled (including Pacquiao agreeing to submit to both blood and urine testing) and only the signature of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was needed to seal the deal that could have earned both fighters at least $40 million each. Mayweather was then given a two-week deadline for the fight contract to be signed. Arum also announced that Pacquiao accepted the terms of the random drug testing, blood and urine, leading up to the fight.

On July 15, 2010, Bob Arum announced that Pacquiao's camp would give Mayweather until Friday midnight to sign the fight. The next day the Top Rank website embedded a countdown clock on their website with the heading "Money" Time: Mayweather's Decision. On July 17, 2010, Arum announced that there was no word from Mayweather's camp and the deal for a November 13, 2010 fight with Mayweather Jr. was not reached.

This has always been about Mayweather ducking a fighter he knows would beat him, waiting for him to get older and slow down. The blood testing stuff has long, long since been resolved.

Baby Milo

TheNatural said:
Why do people keep saying this shit? Pacquaio dropped the weird ass blood testing refusal long ago and was going to play Floyd little childish games to get the fight finally done and ... surprise ... Floyd didn't want the fight. Shocker.
he agreed until he let it slip that the USADA would be biased against him(looooooool)and he wanted no parts of it a few months ago

oooops

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/07/arum-doesnt-want-usada-testing-pacquiao/

However, Arum says that he doesn’t want the USADA to be the one conducting the tests for performance enhancing drugs, and instead wants what he calls a “Neutral organization” to do the testing. I see that as a deal breaker for Pacquiao vs. Mayweather negotiations, because Mayweather trusts the USADA, and wants them specifically to do the testing because he believes in them.

Floyd offered manny 14 days in the first negotiation and manny turned it down. Period these are facts.the article is dated january 10 2010.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6646.html#

and since you seem to believe bob arum it is also a fact that negotiations never took place the summer of 2010.Bob was just making shit up he never contacted Al haymon, Leonard Ellerbe, or richard schaeffer

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5393522

http://www.boxingscene.com/schaefer-backs-position-team-Mayweather--29448

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Im going with Ortiz on this one. We all know that Mayweather is very good but he hasnt fought someone like Ortiz in a very long time. He is also coming off a long time off.

SolidC213

Cannot wait for this fight! I am hoping Ortiz will win but doubt he will. May will be on the money tonight and will be countering Ortiz all night.

Floyd by Unanimous Decision

Also I will just put this right here..

DSC_4164-422x288.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
Harry Potter said:
Any rough estimate when the main bout will be?
just make sure to be watching around 8:45 or 9:00 pm pacific time. it might end up starting at 9:30 most likely but just stay tuned for the build up.

see5harp

Ortiz is a sloppy ass brawler who is great to watch and fun to root for. I just see him taking a ton of clean counter shots here. He's like Manny without any of the speed or great footwork.

Esch

Banned
see5harp said:
Ortiz is a sloppy ass brawler who is great to watch and fun to root for. I just see him taking a ton of clean counter shots here. He's like Manny without any of the speed or great footwork.
Ortiz has solid boxing skills. He used them against Peterson and Campbell to good effect. That's not where he's at his best, but he's not a brawler per se- a puncher with boxing skills.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I'll watch this. Praying that Mayweather gets his ass handed to him somehow. I just want to see that smug smile off his face

I dislike Floyd, and want to see him humbled by someone, but i do agree that his skills and defense are unmatched. But why the heck does Manny not take the drug test? It makes him look really bad! If he is clean, then you would think he would take the test asap. Then when he passes Floyd has no choice but to take the fight.

smurfx

get some go again
lol @ people picking ortiz. do you people never learn? mayweather will lame him out for 12 rounds and win in a boring decision. i'm only interested in this card thanks to the undercard.

JLG-

Ortiz has no jab and his head movement isn't great. Gonna be a long night for him if Floyd finds a home for that straight right.

Chris R

Imax for $18 is much more attractive than the $69.99 price of the ppv ticket. Strongly thinking about heading out to watch vs waiting to see twenty seconds of highlights on sc tonight.

It could be close early, especially if Floyd has ring rust/lost a step from only fighting once every 16 months against no hopers.

Ortiz will go all out to win, so that's exciting. I don't expect him to pull a Mosely.

Once we get through 3 or 4 rounds, Floyd will make his adjustments and pick to shreds. Since his temperament is to not go for a KO, I expect him to carry Ortiz to a lopsided and boring UD12 win.

Wouldn't be shocked if Victor catches him sometime early and knocks him down or hurts him really badly.

The fight should basically look like the Hatton fight with a lot less drunken chanting from the crowd and no flying dive KO.

kodecraft

smurfx said:
lol @ people picking ortiz. do you people never learn? mayweather will lame him out for 12 rounds and win in a boring decision. i'm only interested in this card thanks to the undercard.

Mayweather is looking to make a statement in this fight no pot shots for 12 rounds....this fight may be like Hatton VS Mayweather.

kodecraft

rhfb said:
Imax for $18 is much more attractive than the $69.99 price of the ppv ticket. Strongly thinking about heading out to watch vs waiting to see twenty seconds of highlights on sc tonight.

Do it, I just got my tickets.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ortiz typically starts strong. PBF typically starts slow. If Ortiz is going to win hes gonna have to do it before the 6th. After 3rd or so its going to get significantly harder as Floyd settles in.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
leadbelly said:
If Floyd wins this fight then I guess his next opponent will be Amir Khan. That will be an interesting match up.
Seriously? I thought Mayweather wanted Khan to fight a few other dudes first before even talking about a match with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom