• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Aeana

I don't know, I don't think it's an official confirmation or anything. He has just said what Square would have said without any official announcement, he wouldn't ever confirm the Western release in such an occasion, and at the end of an interview with a Western site,where the most important things have been said besides the last words to the fans...the Western fans.

But aside that, I firmly believe this will come over here due to it being a game with probably a good budget behind and, above all...it has SpotPass implemented in one of its most important features, the town-building one. Having just StreetPass would have shown they weren't interested to the rest of the market, given how handheld are carried everywhere in Japan while the same can't be said about us, and so it'd have handicapped one of the strongest component of the game for the other side of the world.

That would all fly just fine if someone actually asked him about the localization, but he brought it up himself.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That would all fly just fine if someone actually asked him about the localization, but he brought it up himself.

Considering he had an interview with people from an English site, in which they asked nothing about localization, but about all the rest, there's just one way to close the interview saying something to the readers ( as the last question requested), which are from the West: if the game is coming out in US and Europe. And then, he goes with a pretty standard response, basically "We have no plans yet, promote it online!" He certainly couldn't have confirmed anything even if he wanted, since Square hasn't talked about it yet.

Pikma

Banned
Again: if the localization happens or not...we'll know it with Square announcing it. Since Square hasn't announced it, people working on it can't talk about it in interviews or else. The last bit of the interview is more to consider in the way Lord Ghirahim said.
Unfortunately, we have to wait the announcement...let's just hope we don't have too much to wait for it, let alone for the actual release :(

As these kind of things have been developing as of late, personally, I'm not as optimist as you, I don't think the issue here is how much time it takes to get here, the issue is that there's nothing safe/guaranteed about JP games getting localizations, that's not happening right now, all we can do is wait and see, but it's not a matter of when anymore, it's a matter of if.

The new trend of having to spam social sites so Japanese companies sees that's there's interest in some games is really pathetic.

I don't know if that "yet" inspires hope for an English release >_>

Is either the standard PR speech of "we don't want to give hints of the proper announcement" or SE really is still wondering about the localization of the game.

I think is the second one, which is really sad. There's a big hole in the JRPG market that Bravely Default could easily get for himself.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Everyone kept telling me Type 0 was the sole exception when it came to localization.

Guess not.

Japan hoarding those games, eh?

SE: You're gonna get FFXIII-3 and you will like it!

Yes I will enjoy wasting my money and snapping a disc in half especially a game for a system I will never own. XIII-3 shall feel my rage.
Don't worry I'm not buying Lightning's Inside Story

Yeah, especially given that Square Enix seems pretty okay with leaving parts of their line-up in Japan these days.

This is probably not coming, square enix are even starting to NOT translate their games in some european countries for games like KH, and not even giving them a good distribution because nintendo refused to do so as they are not being translated. For fucks sake is KH! Disney needs to kick this peoples asses.
Yeah and look what happen to Type 0.

Square Enix Japan sucks, the western part is the only ones doing their damn job.

Mpl90

People were confident of a Type-0 western release too, but that obviously hasn't happened yet and the game is nearly a year old now.

About Type 0, it was on PSP. Then, Vita. It's a whole different story compared to Bravely Default.

...And we've also known Type 0's localisation was actually happening, until Square halted it due to many problems about the platform.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Rules of Square Enix

1.If your game is awesome, don't localize it.

2. If your game is awesome, but the story sucks, localize it in 9 months.

3. If your game is the cesspool of suckitude announce simultaneous release for all regions as it is guaranteed to sell off of name recognition.

4. If fans show interest in something, ignore them.

5. That MagiusNecros guy is a looney.

Yep.

About Type 0, it was on PSP. Then, Vita. It's a whole different story compared to Bravely Default.

...And we've also known Type 0's localisation was actually happening, until Square halted it due to many problems about the platform.

So that means sqaure doesnt want to take any risks. Doesnt bode well for Bravely Deafault.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Developers are really aiming for girls on 3DS now...

I hope this game is good, only a few days left before we find out.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Yet they had no qualms on releasing XIII-2 on X360 in Japan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

All speculation at this point. It was never "confirmed" to be on Vita - only rumors that suggested as such.

I wouldn't say Bravely Default is a different story. After KH3D bombed in Japan and managed to do as well as KHBBS in the US, with Theatrhythm FF also having tanked in sales... it doesn't exactly inspire much confidence either.

All speculation at this point. It was never "confirmed" to be on Vita - only rumors that suggested as such.

I wouldn't say Bravely Default is a different story. After KH3D bombed in Japan and managed to do as well as KHBBS in the US, with Theatrhythm FF also having tanked in sales... it doesn't exactly inspire much confidence either.

THEATRHYTHM tanked? How many copies S-E was expecting? Being a game like that at full price, it sold even too much. It's probably at 300k units worldwide now + DLC.

I am so sad right now. I want this game so badly and now I'm afraid it's never getting localized. Hell, I ordered the Square-Enix store exclusive collectors edition and I don't even speak Japanese. :(

Mpl90

PSP in 2011-2012 = dead platform on the software side
3DS instead is alive, and still young, this is as much different as you can get. I think you're a bit too pessimistic about it, Kagari. :p

But still, has a localisation ever been confirmed through an interview? I mean, Siliconera had the story about Denpa Men coming in the West in July and they had to cancel it just after they posted it due to the fact there wasn't an official announcement yet. And that's for a downloadable game from Genius Sonority.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The only way Type 0 has been on Vita is through a JP PSN release, which only has slightly higher resolution some sharpness and uses both analog sticks for camera control.

But for BDFF it's realistically too early to announce anything until after the first 2 weeks to a month of sales but knowing SE they won't announce anything. They are too focused on Lightning and XIV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
THEATRHYTHM tanked? How many copies S-E was expecting? Being a game like that at full price, it sold even too much. It's probably at 300k units worldwide now + DLC.

Given that it performed MUCH lower than other rhythm games on DS... I think the expectation could have been a bit more. TRFF only did around 37K in the US which is a shame considering it's one of the best games on the platform. It did 152K in Japan and somehow I doubt Europe made up any difference to get it to 300K.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PSP in 2011-2012 = dead platform on the software side
3DS instead is alive, and still young, this is as much different as you can get. I think you're a bit too pessimistic about it, Kagari. :p

But still, has a localisation ever been confirmed through an interview? I mean, Siliconera had the story about Denpa Men coming in the West in July and they had to cancel it just after they posted it due to the fact there wasn't an official announcement yet. And that's for a downloadable game from Genius Sonority.

It's not unheard of.

And given SEA's western focuses right now, I have no problem being "too pessimistic" about it :(

Mpl90

Given that it performed MUCH lower than other rhythm games on DS... I think the expectation could have been a bit more. TRFF only did around 37K in the US which is a shame considering it's one of the best games on the platform. It did 152K in Japan and somehow I doubt Europe made up any difference to get it to 300K.

That's first month, right? We've only known it debuted with less than 40k.

I love rhythm games and I didnt buy it becuase the price of it was insane in spain, it didnt had a spanish translation (im sorry but is unnaceptable for me in this day an age with a company as big as SE) and because of that the distribution was horrible.

And yet Im playing it just right now, becuase I got it as a birthday present. But after playing a lot is not really a game of 45 euros, I would pay that for EBA2 or Ouendan 3, so its not becuase its a rhythm game, but because something is missing, I dont know, it doesnt feel as grand, and it could have been becuase it has an amazing museum of things to build of.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm beginning to see a pattern. Tabata mentioned Type 0 Western Version in a interview.

Now the dev of BDFF mentions they have no plans for a western version "yet" in a interview.

Hmmmm....

I'm grasping at nothing

Actually, THEATRHYTHM did 47k in its first month in US. I thought it did 67k, that's why I said 300k. But still, we don't know SE expectations for the game, which isn't surely as high-profile game. DLC surely helped to increase the profitability of the project.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Actually, THEATRHYTHM did 47k in its first month in US. I thought it did 67k, that's why I said 300k. But still, we don't know SE expectations for the game, which isn't surely as high-profile game. DLC surely helped to increase the profitability of the project.

It did nearly 31K its first month.

NichM

Banned
I've been assuming for a while now that Bravely Default is coming eventually (hopefully with a different title...) and see nothing in this interview to convince me otherwise.

Macstorm

Also, over the past few years SEA has been announcing NA localizations well before even the Japanese releases of games, so the silence here has been sad.

That said, likely just a return to the "wait and see" days.

Pikma

Banned

Well, we may never know about their expectations but there's no way in hell it can't be considered as a success, it surely made money.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also, over the past few years SEA has been announcing NA localizations well before even the Japanese releases of games, so the silence here has been sad.

That said, likely just a return to the "wait and see" days.

Was the case for a while yeah... and it amounted to getting games like Dissidia 012 and 3rd Birthday not long after their Japanese releases.

Now... not so much. Even KH3D had a localization announcement several months before its domestic release.

Macstorm

Was the case for a while yeah... and it amounted to getting games like Dissidia 012 and 3rd Birthday not long after their Japanese releases.

Now... not so much.

And mostly those PSP games likely had to be rushed along due to the state of the PSP in NA, so that's part of it, I imagine.

A.E Suggs

Well if this doesn't come I will at least have my most anticpated game Fire emblem 3ds to play down the line. There's also phoenix right vs layton and SMTIV so I will have something to look forward to with or without square-enix.

I guess those DS rhythm games were released before the rise of the iOS, I can see genres like those being very hard to be sold again for full price. There's dozen of those games on Android/iOS for just a few bucks.

And I'm well aware of SE trying to sell a rhythm game on iOS for the same price. But I can't see that game doing fine either.

Sadist

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif

Oh man that's sad to hear. I love the game, played it for a month every day about two hours. But eh, I guess western folks aren't as interested in Japanese games anymore. Oh man, I really hope Bravely Default will make it.

Allthough, I kind of see it as a successor to the Four Heroes of Light. Didn't that bomb as well?

Top Bottom