• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Pikma

Banned
You guys know how kickstarter has been the novelty of this industry as of late? And you sure know that some publishers have been starting to take advantage of its fans to get free marketing, right?

Well, the next new big thing in 2013 will be publishers using Kickstarter to fund their games and then proceed to announce the game in only one region, after that they'll wait for fans to do their marketing job for free just so they can see the game released in their region, after all of this has been done, and only after that, they will release the game, $60 + on-cartdrige DLC + offline pass.

My body is ready.

Velcro Fly

Really hope this comes out here.

I feel like this sort of thing wasn't such a huge problem with the DS during it's day.

This is one of the 3DS games I've had my eye on for quite a while and it will be really disappointing if it doesn't make it out of Japan.

I'll stay positive and keep faith that it will come here. The fact that localization has even been acknowledged at all is a good sign. It shows it has at least been considered.

zashga

Would be really sad to see this game stay in Japan. Any chance Square would let a niche outfit like Atlus or XSEED localize a game like this?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just compared 4 Warriors of Light's release date gaps.

JP Release: October 29th 2009

US Release: October 5th 2010

Europe Release: October 8th 2010

Sounds like fun.

Sounds like fun.

I loved Four Warriors of Light and I've been dying for localization news on Bravely Default since the second it was announced. I want this game. I wouldn't care if Squeenix came out and said "We're localizing this, but it's gonna be a while." I just don't want to be left out here...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square is known for not giving their fans a bone to chew on.

Based on the release for 4 WoL you can likely see this game show up at E3 2013.

Eusis

Not the Rosetta Stone I'm thinking of. >_<
Items in video games are even worse on account of not actually existing!

I'm hoping the fact that they were interviewed by a Western site alone helps the game's chances. Especially if a bigger site does this (... though I imagine only 1up would). I do worry about continued support on the 3DS from SE, but I also wonder if maybe people globally are just getting sick and tired of where they're headed and what they're offering consumers. Kingdom Hearts is so far up its asshole in continuity snarls it makes Marvel and DC comics look quaint in comparison, and while Theatrhythm is pretty nice it's not exactly the most clamored for game out there. I actually wonder if SE's continued (original?) 3DS support hinges on Bravely Default.

Macstorm

Sounds like fun.

And along with that 4HoL was confirmed for NA release on May 27, 2010, so going by this pattern, we can stop worrying until Q2 2013...

Eusis

But automatically learning a language would be amazing. Sadly not the case.
If we could take all the better parts of RPGs and apply them to real life we'd be living in paradise now. No matter how rough your day was a good night's sleep will fix you up!
And along with that 4HoL was confirmed for NA release on May 27, 2010, so going by this pattern, we can stop worrying until Q2 2013...
Yeah, that's true. We basically have until E3 2013 before giving up.

Of course, that might also be on account of 4HoL coming when SE was shifting gears, and likely just forced it through anyway because to hell with it, it has the FF name. And this doesn't.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Items in video games are even worse on account of not actually existing!

I'm hoping the fact that they were interviewed by a Western site alone helps the game's chances. Especially if a bigger site does this (... though I imagine only 1up would). I do worry about continued support on the 3DS from SE, but I also wonder if maybe people globally are just getting sick and tired of where they're headed and what they're offering consumers. Kingdom Hearts is so far up its asshole in continuity snarls it makes Marvel and DC comics look quaint in comparison, and while Theatrhythm is pretty nice it's not exactly the most clamored for game out there. I actually wonder if SE's continued (original?) 3DS support hinges on Bravely Default.

Considering 3DS is the default platform in Japan, selling big amounts of hardware and software, I'm not worried about SE support as a whole at all (especially well-known series, though)

jackal27

Banned

Sounds like fun.

That's about what I would assume. I loved 4 Warriors of Light SOOOO much. I can't wait for this game, if it ever even comes to the west.

Torraz

Is the game turn based?

Really liking the OST linked above. I'll probably import it for christmas, or next year.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is the game turn based?

Really liking the OST linked above. I'll probably import it for christmas, or next year.

Yes it is. It uses a risk and reward system of braving(attacking multiple times) and defaulting(defense while stacking attacks). And the enemy can use this system as well.

Torraz

Yes it is. It uses a risk and reward system of braving(attacking multiple times) and defaulting(defense while stacking attacks). And the enemy can use this system as well.

Thanks. Looking forward to some import impressions that. I kinda blew my remaining import budget on xillia 2 and yakuza 5.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Saw the link, but was scared away by your warning regarding spoilers. What kind of spoilers are we talking about?

Basically if you want to start a game fresh. Since the guy is playing from the start of the game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's not unheard of.

And given SEA's western focuses right now, I have no problem being "too pessimistic" about it :(

Some westaboos wonder why I make such a big stink over SE-USA pushing Eidos so hard... but it's exactly for reasons like this. I feel that their pushing of Eidos properties that you couldn't pay me to care about prevents them from focusing attention on localizing more niche games from the Japanese side of the company. Like, they feel that now that they have Eidos, they can just use them for more "western friendly" titles and ignore their longtime fans who prefer the Japanese stuff. Bravely Default looks like one of the most promising RPGs in years and it's such a shame that there's been no word whatsoever about a localization.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well since everyone basically wants BDFF I don't think we are going to get it.

It works against SE's business practices.

Bravely Quest info. I didn't know about Bravely Quests, and the first one ends on Oct 24th. Good thing my order wasn't delayed!

New AR marker (to be used in the retail version's AR Movie section)

edit: Got my Dengeki Online code a few hours ago, check your inbox if you participated in the promo.
believebssiq.png

edit2: People are selling the dengeki code ( ._.)
dengekicodeauctions3fpjq.png

StayDead

My god. As soon as my copy ships I need to get my code up on squeenix members. You get this costume for Agnes designed by the Robotics;Notes character designer.

8078211490_dd03fef2e9_o.jpg

It shipped today. Now to hope to god the postal system gets this to me quickly and it doesn't get held up in customs or they send it back again like the idiots at customs did last time.

A.E Suggs

My god. As soon as my copy ships I need to get my code up on squeenix members. You get this costume for Agnes designed by the Robotics;Notes character designer.

agnes.jpg

It shipped today. Now to hope to god the postal system gets this to me quickly and it doesn't get held up in customs or they send it back again like the idiots at customs did last time.

That photo isn't showing up that you linked. However I do like the costume and art but I just want the game already :(.

Top Bottom