• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

So, how does the DLC situation work? Is the DLC linked to the Square Enix Members account? There is only one save file per BDFF copy. Will I be able to get the spear/ax/knife/whatever to use for another playthrough?

fake edit: wow, this is some serious anti-consumer BS

Q. 報酬アイテムを保存しているセーブデータからではなく、ニューゲームからゲームをスタートした場合、報酬アイテムはどうなりますか?
A.ニューゲームからゲームをスタートした場合、あなたのプレイデータだけでなく、入手した獲得アイテムも消去されます。
また、一度受け取った報酬アイテムを、再度お送りすることはできませんので、過去に獲得したアイテムはご利用いただけない状態となります。
ニューゲームからゲームをプレイする際にはご注意ください。

Wanna play the game again? You lose all your DLC. For good. You can't re-download anything.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thats what happens when they try to use a new system with a game and dont have it thought out properly.

Id go into a long post about this, but as its a huge waste of time Ill just end with saying.

Am not surprised really.

On a side note that spear isnt even that good anyways. The dengeki one and its not like you get a job class that is actually good with spears till waaaaaaay later in the game. By then the spear doesnt really matter all that much and the design isnt so cool as to warrant being used even with the lower stats.

Finally maxed out the weapon shop. Working on maxing out the armor shop and increasing the levels of the various other ones.

I really hope this is just a mistranslation.
Nope ;//

Q. What will happen to my reward items if I start a game from "New Game" instead of the save file where I have saved my reward items?
A. If you start your game from "New Game", the acquired reward items will be deleted along with your play data.
Furthermore, the items you have received once cannot be resent, so items you acquired in the past will not be usable.
Please keep that in mind if you play a game from "New Game".

Parakeetman

I can just imagine the kind of stupid proposal that was made by a suit vs. a gamer which got passed hence this genius of a plan that only could be concocted by one touched by the Good Idea Fairy. Seriously not the best of ideas to fuck with peoples data that has already been downloaded. Esp the fact that some of the data was acquired by purchase of products. Real bad move on SQEXs behalf.

All this talk of simplicity is deflating some of my excitement. Sounds like chances for localisation are rather slim anyway. I might have to get a Japanese 3DS in the future. Stupid Nintendo and their goddamn region lock.

zroid

Banned
What sort of DLC is this? I haven't really been keeping up, but I guess it's distinct from the kind you buy off the eShop?

Parakeetman

What sort of DLC is this? I haven't really been keeping up, but I guess it's distinct from the kind you buy off the eShop?

Its from serial codes which you input into a special website for the game. Have to be a SQEX members thing. For example code comes with the game (the SQEX members point card) which gives an outfit. Code comes with the OST gives another outfit. Famitsu had a code for an axe. Dengeki had an online survey that gave those who took it a spear.

Ranges from costumes to items, to equipment (weapons / armor).

Example
http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/bdff/pre/campaign.php

The full current list of slated content.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/bdff/#/top/bonus

A.E Suggs

All this talk of simplicity is deflating some of my excitement. Sounds like chances for localisation are rather slim anyway. I might have to get a Japanese 3DS in the future. Stupid Nintendo and their goddamn region lock.

The simplicity talk shouldn't turn anyone away, since when is any of square-enix games that difficult to progress through?

Parakeetman

The simplicity talk shouldn't turn anyone away, since when is any of square-enix games that difficult to progress through?

Its not difficulty, its overall game design. There is a difference. Most prominent one would be the comparison of FFXIII to previous FF games that have a world map, towns, etc. Along with other various issues folks had.

A.E Suggs

Its not difficulty, its overall game design. There is a difference. Most prominent one would be the comparison of FFXIII to previous FF games that have a world map, towns, etc. Along with other various issues folks had.

Are you sure thats what he's talking about though? I really think he means the combat system depth.

zroid

Banned
Its from serial codes which you input into a special website for the game. Have to be a SQEX members thing. For example code comes with the game (the SQEX members point card) which gives an outfit. Code comes with the OST gives another outfit. Famitsu had a code for an axe. Dengeki had an online survey that gave those who took it a spear.

Ranges from costumes to items, to equipment (weapons / armor).

Hmmm...

So you link your game to your Members account and it fetches the DLC by syncing up? At least it's not paid and doesn't seem too important. Still, that's pretty much a pile of shit they are serving up.

I wonder, is there at least a New Game+ type of thing that keeps your DLC if you start a second playthrough?

Well I don't mind simplicity of certain mechanics. For example DQ games generally have a simple battle system, but with enough depth and challenge that it balances out. I don't want simple for the sake of simple...and it sounds like BD skimps out a bit in terms of a fleshed out world based on some impressions...dunno if I like the sound of that.

Parakeetman

Hmmm...

So you link your game to your Members account and it fetches the DLC by syncing up? At least it's not paid and doesn't seem too important. Still, that's pretty much a pile of shit they are serving up.

I wonder, is there at least a New Game+ type of thing that keeps your DLC if you start a second playthrough?

Oh no it is paid in the sense for 1. buying the game, 2. buying the soundtrack(s), 3. buying the famitsu issue. 4. buying from tsutaya. (which then you get the tsutaya bonus + the original one that comes with the game itself)

see it all links back to the user having spent $$$ to obtain said code to receive the item. Fucking with that is just bad business.

Well I don't mind simplicity of certain mechanics. For example DQ games generally have a simple battle system, but with enough depth and challenge that it balances out. I don't want simple for the sake of simple...and it sounds like BD skimps out a bit in terms of a fleshed out world based on some impressions...dunno if I like the sound of that.

As with any RPG if you are over leveled you can bowl over the enemies if you know what jobs to use. If you are the level an average user would be, later battles will take a bit more thought esp the setup of your main job / sub job + support abilities. The world itself though is nice looking, but it has been reduced in terms of no real exploration to be had besides areas where you are supposed to enter mainly shops or story related structures.

Still though its a damned good game regardless.

I have over 35 hours into the game already. Characters are lv 40ish

zroid

Banned

Well, if nothing else, the combat and job systems seem pretty deep compared with most Square Enix RPGs. From the sound of it, the main issue is the towns are relatively streamlined without much in the way of superfluous (interactive) elements. They may be unnecessary, but they certainly add to the world-building in an RPG, so I can relate.

Parakeetman

That's what I've been asking myself since I saw the FAQ, but I think they would have mentioned something important like that :/

Seeing how they handled the important information of where the bloody hell the code for the special armor was, somehow Im not surprised if they didnt write it in the FAQ.

Official Japanese FAQs are useless for the most part. Is what the general trend is.

As with any RPG if you are over leveled you can bowl over the enemies if you know what jobs to use. If you are the level an average user would be, later battles will take a bit more thought esp the setup of your main job / sub job + support abilities. The world itself though is nice looking, but it has been reduced in terms of no real exploration to be had besides areas where you are supposed to enter mainly shops or story related structures.

Still though its a damned good game regardless.

I like that the job system opens things up a bit, but the bolded part does sound indeed worrying. Reminds me too much of early DS RPGs.

Glad to know it is good otherwise.

Well, if nothing else, the combat and job systems seem pretty deep compared with most Square Enix RPGs. From the sound of it, the main issue is the towns are relatively streamlined without much in the way of superfluous (interactive) elements. They may be unnecessary, but they certainly add to the world-building in an RPG, so I can relate.
Honestly the job system was never really the main draw for me. I really liked the art and world design (reminds me of a mix of FFIX/4WOL) and I feel like half of the appeal is gone when they don't seem to serve much more than just aesthetic appeal. But I don't want to overreact as I am still looking forward to it, and it is by no means a deal breaker.

Parakeetman

The story is quite good along with the dialog of the characters. (voiced / not voiced).

Not really a spoiler but will black it out anyways. Its more thoughts on game design vs any actual real plot sort of info.
am wondering if the game will have a different ending seeing how things are progressing. In some ways there are choices thats why Ask if you want to know why I say this and will do another post.

For a game too that does look all cheery and such
the story can be pretty dark on parts

Also in regards to Zeer0ids comment coming from someone that owns the game, I wouldnt say its really "deep" but its by no means simplified. While it can be simple for those who do not want to really tweak things there is that side. But for those who do care about the smaller aspects tweaking can be done to supplement your main job. I really would have appreciated the old school front / rear row setup that has been a staple of the old school titles. But seeing how the game is designed can understand why they did away with it. Whats odd too though is that with class descriptions they do talk about things like "font line use" not exact translation but similar. Saw that in there and raised an eyebrow at that. As the game does not have a system for front / rear row placement. But with how they allow for all jobs to equip whatever they want, its not really an issue defense wise. Still no real good explanation on how all of the letter based armor / weapon ratings work though. Its why another irritation is the fact that there is no real game manual and just a shitty folded piece of paper with minimal info + the AR image on the back. Granted the game has an in game help system, that still doesnt explain things all that well.

A.E Suggs

I get ya, just coming from me since its rare that I find anything hard already when they say things are simplified I don't really care. Its not really fair for me to compare myself to you I admit, its just how I think I guess. The world map is a problem I see a lot of people have a problem with and it is a problem, but after DQ8 exploration I said unless its real time it doesn't matter to much to me.

Honestly the job system was never really the main draw for me. I really liked the art and world design (reminds me of a mix of FFIX/4WOL) and I feel like half of the appeal is gone when they don't seem to serve much more than just aesthetic appeal. But I don't want to overreact as I am still looking forward to it, and it is by no means a deal breaker.

Kinda the same way I feel about the whole thing. I almost kinda wish this was a vita game.

Parakeetman

Kinda the same way I feel about the whole thing. I almost kinda wish this was a vita game.

Game wouldnt do all too hot on the vita considering the low attach rate. That and with how the current library while "varied" its still not enough to warrant folks to pick up one just for the game at start. Unlike what folks have been doing with the 3DS. Which also allows for playing most DS games. The vita is more of a niche machine at the moment, where the 3DS is mainstream. Purely a business decision as to why its on the 3DS. That and the general "DS" / nintendo platform is something the teams are already familiar with which aids in development and budget.

Dont think the VITA is going to go anywhere until it gets a title that helps launch the platform similar as to what monster hunter did for the PSP. That and more of the smaller devs who worked on the PS2 moved over to the PSP which basically is now being used as a portable PS2 so to speak allowing for more varied games to be out on the platform.

While not exactly the same my guess is with the VITA its going to be the portable PS3 in the future once the PS4 comes out. So still got a long road ahead of it. But a lot will depend on if a company can bring out something to really change the numbers of the attached userbase, which will drive more companies to be willing to take the dive with producing games on the system. Right now as it stands a visual example is everyone is standing on a cliff and no one wants to jump first to see whats at the bottom.

---

One other downside which is more a personal thing for myself is just how limited the amount of items in the game are. In terms of equipment. Plus unlike other RPGs where its gaining the next best thing, its all very possible to blow out of the water most of the town bought stuff with the "social" aspect of the game with the town rebuilding. Since equipment isnt really class specific, you can basically wear stuff that ups your numerical stats higher than anything else you can buy normally. Making a lot of gear useless. Looking through the encyclopedia for items shows you just how many spaces there are for equipment and such.

Lol that jump in difficulty at around ten hours.

"Oh hey, now my characters are paralyzed with -3 brave! Oh hey! Now they're all dead!"

"Oh let's do this side quest. Yay! Cool new enemies... that hit for 500 hp a pop... =|"

"Oh hey, now my characters are paralyzed with -3 brave! Oh hey! Now they're all dead!"

"Oh let's do this side quest. Yay! Cool new enemies... that hit for 500 hp a pop... =|"

Reminds me of the fun times I had with Grandia III's second disk.

Spoiler Alert; They weren't fun, I quit the game.

Is it really that terrible though?

Parakeetman

Right now the only way the game can take away my GOD status for the 1 turn / no damage bonus is if they go be cheap asses and first attack me :D Then again being lv 40 helps.

With how the game turns seems like you always need to have at least one of the OP jobs, (monk starting / ranger later) in the part to ensure shit dies correctly on the opposing side. If not the damage difference is so high its almost silly. I really wonder at times what they were thinking when they balanced this game.

It can be bad if you are rushing through, but the same time will turn off people who dont like to grind levels. Esp with how little job points you get is for the starting portion of the game. Once you reach a certain area there is a specific monster type that if it appears helps make things a lot easier till you reach job rank 9 onto 10.

Reminds me of the fun times I had with Grandia III's second disk.

Spoiler Alert; They weren't fun, I quit the game.

Is it really that terrible though?

Not a bad thing at all. Just took some adjustment of how I'd been playing up till then.

I had been plowing through enemies pretty handily up till then so I was just surprised. Especially those damn mushrooms. Hate those guys.

Loving the game so far. Limitations remind me of Type-0, though this is a much more complete game world.

Parakeetman

Not a bad thing at all. Just took some adjustment of how I'd been playing up till then.

I had been plowing through enemies pretty handily up till then so I was just surprised. Especially those damn mushrooms. Hate those guys.

Loving the game so far. Limitations remind me of Type-0, though this is a much more complete game world.

Btw dont bother farming the mushrooms. Plow on through the story till you reach the
mountain pass on the way back to the old guy that makes clothing. In that area theres these monsters called ガブガブ that give pretty good JP. Killing 3-4 of them nets around high 30s / 40 JP a pop. Just use the ranger or your high damage output character on em. They need 600+ damage to die. Usually got to try and kill them before the first turn, since they will on occasion leave the battle. Similar to what metal slimes do. Stealing from them nets you ethers also which is great. As 1000 a pop isnt a fun price to pay lol

jae

I'm about to start chapter 4 and everything hits everyone for like 5-600 damage regardless of their armor or job class. I just got Pirate & Ninja so I am going to try those out. I have a feeling that I am going to go crawling back to Hunter & Valkyrie though because no other physical attack jobs have come close to those for me.

Still am in love with the game though. The ninja subquest was really cool. The enemy ninja is hilarious and awesome.

Btw dont bother farming the mushrooms. Plow on through the story till you reach the
mountain pass on the way back to the old guy that makes clothing. In that area theres these monsters called ガブガブ that give pretty good JP. Killing 3-4 of them nets around high 30s / 40 JP a pop. Just use the ranger or your high damage output character on em. They need 600+ damage to die. Usually got to try and kill them before the first turn, since they will on occasion leave the battle. Similar to what metal slimes do. Stealing from them nets you ethers also which is great. As 1000 a pop isnt a fun price to pay lol

Oh shit. That's some quality info. I'd been farming before heading over there so I could get Edea some lvl 3 black magic. Was really suffering for a while with lvl 1/2. The damage output just wasn't enough. Felt it especially on the
wind crystal boss
. Sprsk saved me on that one.

Parakeetman

Oh shit. That's some quality info. I'd been farming before heading over there so I could get Edea some lvl 3 black magic. Was really suffering for a while with lvl 1/2. The damage output just wasn't enough. Felt it especially on the
wind crystal boss
. Sprsk saved me on that one.

also out there you will find one of the summon challenge NPCs, unless you are high level I dont suggest attempting it. Since At lv 35ish I barely survived the attack with everyone around low 200-300s of HP remaining. Or just save first before attempting it lol. I need to go back to the wind shrine now and get the summon from him. Yeah that mountain pass is a serious godsend though when it comes to leveling up. Plus with the ethers you steal if you use a merchant you can make some good cash too, by constantly trying to do the "ripoff" skill and selling them back to enemies. I once ran 2 rangers with monk backup skill, using the skill that allows for the attack to take place in the last part of the turn, so the merchants with ripoff could peddle off the phoenix downs, bomb piece, ethers first. Plus the cash bonus is nice. Best thing is to reach the end of the mountain pass near the save point / shop NPC. then you can save and resupply all you want lol

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Each Job has 14 levels I think.

Also I can confirm there is no NG+

NG+ is kinda tied into the first playthrough in a way. I won't say more then that.

This is the writer of Stein's Gate after all.

Sinople

The manual is in the cart. You can open it via the 3DS menu screen. Not that it contains anything important though.
Also, what is it you don't understand with the letters? The "higher" the letter, the better the job makes use of the equipment. That's why any job can equip any piece of equipment, but a knight will use swords and heavy armors way more efficiently than a mage or a monk, for example.

From the Official Twitter Page:

状況によりますが、変えたくないと思ってます。ブレイブリーのために3DSを買ってくれた人も多いと思いますので RT @poppodaga: @BDFF_OFFICIAL ブレイブリーデフォルトのために3DS買いました!続編作るならハード変えますか?

Q: I bought a 3DS for Bravely Default! If you were going to make a sequel, would you change which console it was on?

A: It would depend on the situation, but I don't think I want to change it. Because, I think there are many people who bought a 3DS for Bravely.

Sequel talk already. Status of BD becoming new FF = imminent.
lol

Parakeetman

Tell me about it. I'm beyond jealous.

I had almost thought you cleared the game with that info you gave earlier.

I really need to get back to the story and stop over leveling, am trying to get $99999 to buy the last sword from the player town. oh man is this going to take a while lol Still about 60k short.

A.E Suggs

Game wouldnt do all too hot on the vita considering the low attach rate. That and with how the current library while "varied" its still not enough to warrant folks to pick up one just for the game at start. Unlike what folks have been doing with the 3DS. Which also allows for playing most DS games. The vita is more of a niche machine at the moment, where the 3DS is mainstream. Purely a business decision as to why its on the 3DS. That and the general "DS" / nintendo platform is something the teams are already familiar with which aids in development and budget.

Dont think the VITA is going to go anywhere until it gets a title that helps launch the platform similar as to what monster hunter did for the PSP. That and more of the smaller devs who worked on the PS2 moved over to the PSP which basically is now being used as a portable PS2 so to speak allowing for more varied games to be out on the platform.

While not exactly the same my guess is with the VITA its going to be the portable PS3 in the future once the PS4 comes out. So still got a long road ahead of it. But a lot will depend on if a company can bring out something to really change the numbers of the attached userbase, which will drive more companies to be willing to take the dive with producing games on the system. Right now as it stands a visual example is everyone is standing on a cliff and no one wants to jump first to see whats at the bottom.

---

One other downside which is more a personal thing for myself is just how limited the amount of items in the game are. In terms of equipment. Plus unlike other RPGs where its gaining the next best thing, its all very possible to blow out of the water most of the town bought stuff with the "social" aspect of the game with the town rebuilding. Since equipment isnt really class specific, you can basically wear stuff that ups your numerical stats higher than anything else you can buy normally. Making a lot of gear useless. Looking through the encyclopedia for items shows you just how many spaces there are for equipment and such.

I agree with ya, thats why I said I kinda wish. The 3ds is way more over right now so it made every bit of sense to make it for the system.

Parakeetman

Id like the vita to do well, its just that there needs to be a developer who gets lucky with a title that can really draw in new users. We all know those kind of things are not easy to pull off, so will just have to wait and see what happens.

That game Soul Sacrifice as much as Inafune says what he wants about games need to be made not for otakus or whatever, thats exactly what his game targets with the general design. As it sure as hell isnt going to get more casual players and females involved looking like that. Guy is such a blowhard cant really take anything he says seriously.

Im surprised that sony isnt producing their own RPGs anymore unlike the old days. Since all of the quirky shit is fine and all, but would be nice to see a return to some bread & butter type of titles.

---

The red mage costume design makes me sad. D:

A.E Suggs

Id like the vita to do well, its just that there needs to be a developer who gets lucky with a title that can really draw in new users. We all know those kind of things are not easy to pull off, so will just have to wait and see what happens.

That game Soul Sacrifice as much as Inafune says what he wants about games need to be made not for otakus or whatever, thats exactly what his game targets with the general design. As it sure as hell isnt going to get more casual players and females involved looking like that. Guy is such a blowhard cant really take anything he says seriously.

Im surprised that sony isnt producing their own RPGs anymore unlike the old days. Since all of the quirky shit is fine and all, but would be nice to see a return to some bread & butter type of titles.

---

The red mage costume design makes me sad. D:

I don't really know what game can save the vita, I only think the price cut can really save it. People don't seem like they wanna pay that much money for handheld systems anymore.

I still want this in America. Where should I go to make noise about this?

Look at the link to facebook in the OT. Also just drum up noise on some other sites you may visit.

I guess it's going to sell enough [for a new IP] to come to the west; I expect 100k+ sales for the first week.

It's not like it's a FF game that requires delicate and complex localisation/marketing; they'll just send it west side.

I guess it's going to sell enough [for a new IP] to come to the west; I expect 100k+ sales for the first week.

It's not like it's a FF game that requires delicate and complex localisation/marketing; they'll just send it west side.

It'll definitely be over 100,000 at this point, unless the shipment was tiny. The official twitter is apologizing for it having sold out at larger stores.

As for Vita, the way I see it (at least in Japan), the PSP did really well with teenagers, whereas Nintendo systems did best with preteens and those in their early to mid twenties. However, at at least 30,000 for a Wi-fi model and game (excluding memory cards), teenagers/their parent just don't have that kind of money, especially when MH is on 3DS and you can get an OG model for ~20,000 with a game and there's no proprietary memory card required.

Sandfox

If this game comes to the west I'm expecting them to rename it Final Fantasy: Bravely Default for the brand recognition.

If this game comes to the west I'm expecting them to rename it Final Fantasy: Bravely Default for the brand recognition.

Probably better than using FF branding at the moment:
Bravely Default: Warriors of the Wind Crystal
Brave & Default: Faerie of the Wind Crystal
The Day The Giant Hole Appeared in the Earth & Swallowed Up My Village Whole
Bravely Default: Warriors of Light
The Warriors of Light: Brave & Default
You Don't Get To See Up Agnes' Skirt: Bravely Default

Top Bottom