• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just figured out a stupid way to get "easy" exp / $$$ and job points

in the poison swamp after your airship gets attacked by the dark knight there are mushroom enemies there. hitting them on chance causes them to spawn another mushroom. Keep on doing that and repeat until bored.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I love what I've been seeing and hearing about this. Even if it turns out not to be the hardest game ever it's clear you can't just press A and win every battle.

By reading impressions here and there, it really seems that Bravely Default is something Square Enix would have done during SNES/PS1 era.

How's the world so far? Are there many towns?
How's the party chat working?

Parakeetman

By reading impressions here and there, it really seems that Bravely Default is something Square Enix would have done during SNES/PS1 era.

Actually no thats incorrect, seeing as how the games from back then had a little bit more depth to them in regards to design.

This game the towns have been overly simplified along with the world and dungeon maps. As I stated before this is a JRPG made for a portable platform geared towards a wide market. Its even more simplified than the warriors of light game which came out on the DS. As neat as the whole town "building" is, the system is quite simplified and in some ways takes away from the point of getting new equipment from the next town with how strong some of the equipment that you can make is. Truthfully Id prefer if the whole "social" aspect of gaming be kept out of the more game specific devices and be left to the mobile phone / android / iOS market. But thats just me.

By no means is it a bad game, but need to get the fact clear that it isnt as in depth as some may think it is from hearing things about it.

Only been to 3 major towns so far. At the moment its not like other games where the world is so large that there are smaller mid point towns along the way.

Party chat is similar to what folks have seen with the Tales Series, only that its not voiced.

Parakeetman

As mentioned how the shops in town work is basically you walk up to the door of shop type you want to go into, (weapon + armor, item, magic) and once you "enter" the door the shop menu appears.

Asides from that and the main / sub story related buildings you cant really enter anything else for the time being. The town designs look real nice and all that, but thats about it for the main part. Theres no real "exploration with them. You might find items around town or the specific rooms you can enter, but the placement of said hidden items is not really obvious. So its a lot more wandering around said area till the "search" command appears.

Im spending way too much time leveling up the characters / jobs. Esp now that Im messing around in the swamp. Really should advance more to get the next batch of job classes. Though the extra abilities / skills you learn from leveling up the jobs does help out a lot to make characters a bit more well rounded. Esp now that Im able to purchase the lv 3 black and white magic spells. Plus the lv 2 time ones.

Has this been posted? http://www.i-mezzo.net/log/2012/10/11215821.html

20121011_bdff05.jpg

20121011_bdff11.jpg

20121011_bdff07.jpg

More at the link.

Parakeetman

Really does make me regret not jumping on the collectors edition faster. Then again if I had would not have been able to pick up the other titles this month...But perhaps just as well seeing how BD is getting all of the play time.

Looks like Im going to be saving up cash in game for a while. Just managed to get an axe for purchase from town upgrades that costs 39,400pq... oh my

Parakeetman

Been blasting through enemies using main job Ranger with support job Magic Swordsman who can use at least the lv 2 skills. Death upon everything.

Characters are lv 30 now and am spending time going around rounding out my characters job levels. Found something slightly faster than messing with the mushrooms.

I swear the job system in these sort of games are so terrible for the OCD gamer...:D

7 hours in and completing
the first sub-quest

Once again, I'll reiterate that this game is beautiful. Not just the towns, but the individual rooms and buildings that appear, too. Stunning - especially when the camera zooms out.

Towns could be more complex (more 'exploration'), however, I kind of like not having to enter every single building to talk to every NPC and see if they have a side-quest, item, etc to say. The village you're rebuilding is a simple mechanic, and could have been more complex (be really able to walk around the town etc), but as it's a handheld game I'm not too fussed. Simple is better.

It's definitely been 'simplified' in its systems to be made more accessible, but it worked for Fire Emblem, so who knows. 5 stars on the eshop with around 400 ratings, more than PxZ, not that that means anything.

Haha, so the difficulty level certainly ramped up after I cleared the
Wind shrine

All of a sudden I'm in life or death struggles with mushrooms that call in more comrades when you hit them.

NEVER ENDING SHROOMS AAAAHHHH.

Parakeetman

7 hours in and completing
the first sub-quest

Once again, I'll reiterate that this game is beautiful. Not just the towns, but the individual rooms and buildings that appear, too. Stunning - especially when the camera zooms out.

Towns could be more complex (more 'exploration'), however, I kind of like not having to enter every single building to talk to every NPC and see if they have a side-quest, item, etc to say. The village you're rebuilding is a simple mechanic, and could have been more complex (be really able to walk around the town etc), but as it's a handheld game I'm not too fussed. Simple is better.

It's definitely been 'simplified' in its systems to be made more accessible, but it worked for Fire Emblem, so who knows. 5 stars on the eshop with around 400 ratings, more than PxZ, not that that means anything.

Actually fire emblem is pretty much the same as it always was I had thought. The difficulty is most def still there in the game if set to the higher level. If anything all they added was really more depth to the characters and the interesting system where you have kids. Though their personalities stay the same, just the hair color is different. Fantastic game and love the new art direction they went with the series. The old art style was well getting outdated. The writing for the characters and the whole conversations between them was fantastic. Also nice to see that there was really no character that was "irritating" with the bunch.

The problem with simple, is you do not get as good of a feel for the world as you would with other games. You see, you as how you want to play do not need to go into every building, you still can blow past everything. Though those who do appreciate such features to be in a game have the ability to explore if they do choose so.

The kiseki series the RPG not the new ARPG one is a good example of this done on a portable platform. You dont really need to go into every location possible, but there is enough accessible to make it interesting.

Still great game, just am a little disappointed they didnt take out a little more time to make the world a bit more complex. A slight waste I say personally with how beautiful the art is for each town. There could have been some quite interesting things done from what Ive seen so far.

At least though the game has a fair price on its head, so for the amount of time am putting into it so far its more than a worthy purchase. Plus has a great soundtrack. One thing thats lacking with a lot of games these days.

---

Ryouga sounds like you didnt level grind lol. Yeah those things do hit kinda hard even when in default mode. And this was for me when I was lv 24ish I think in that zone. Though if you are the knight and have the demons shield? (forgot the actual name - its the high lv shield you get from upgrading the town. Id look it up but am on the way out.) thats one of the few classes that dont take too much damage from them. Thankfully all they do for the most part is just physical damage and dont poison you. But its great in that section just farming them in the same battle to save time of having to run around and look for more. Adding in a merchant does help the money situation too. If you are having trouble in the swamps, Id suggest leveling there for a little bit as the next areas the monsters are stronger. I can get hit for around 400+ on occasion at lv 30+. Seriously suggest leveling the magic swordsman to the 2nd tier level for the weapon enchantments. Big help if you know what the enemy's weakness is later on. :D

Actually fire emblem is pretty much the same as it always was I had thought. The difficulty is most def still there in the game if set to the higher level. If anything all they added was really more depth to the characters and the interesting system where you have kids. Though their personalities stay the same, just the hair color is different. Fantastic game and love the new art direction they went with the series. The old art style was well getting outdated. The writing for the characters and the whole conversations between them was fantastic. Also nice to see that there was really no character that was "irritating" with the bunch. The problem with simple, is you do not get as good of a feel for the world as you would with other games. You see, you as how you want to play do not need to go into every building, you still can blow past everything. Though those who do appreciate such features to be in a game have the ability to explore if they do choose so.

The kiseki series the RPG not the new ARPG one is a good example of this done on a portable platform. You dont really need to go into every location possible, but there is enough accessible to make it interesting.

Still great game, just am a little disappointed they didnt take out a little more time to make the world a bit more complex. A slight waste I say personally with how beautiful the art is for each town. There could have been some quite interesting things done from what Ive seen so far.

At least though the game has a fair price on its head, so for the amount of time am putting into it so far its more than a worthy purchase. Plus has a great soundtrack. One thing thats lacking with a lot of games these days.

They also added the casual mode that removes perma-death. The series had come to be known as too hard/inaccessible to new players and was dying. The new art style was also part of trying to appeal to wider audiences/modern teenagers. It is a fantastic game and characters and I hope it doesn't get mocked for Nono or for being a 'dating sim' when it goes to the west.

Anyway, it was just an example of a series trying to appeal more widely by simplifying things, possibly a poor one. JRPGs do have an impression of being difficult/needlessly complex with story/exploration/sidequests and clearly the team were trying to make exploration/quests as simple as possible.

I do agree, though. Towns do feel basic and it would be more fun to go exploring if I wanted to within the towns. Maybe the art style/hand drawn stuff meant that it would have been to much effort to draw non-story essential buildings? Maybe they just didn't have budget/time for that? Hopefully there'll be a sequel of some kind, even if it's merely a spiritual one, where towns are more expansive because the team/director clearly has a strong fondness for early Square RPGs.

It is, you're right, definitely worth the money though. Even after only 7 hours, I know this is going to take a while. I'm only just in the
clock town, which is the second area
and the world map has heaps more to go. And the soundtrack is simply stunning.

zroid

Banned
With the caveat that I of course haven't played this game for myself yet, nor a couple of their most beloved titles such as Dragon Quest VIII, I can pretty safely say BDFF is my favourite Square Enix game since their union in 2003.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
With the caveat that I of course haven't played this game for myself yet, nor a couple of their most beloved titles such as Dragon Quest VIII, I can pretty safely say BDFF is my favourite Square Enix game since their union in 2003.

BDFF makes me think of a PS1 Era Squaresoft game.

Which I mean to say is all around awesome.

They called it Flying Fairy for a reason. It simply flies over the competition in a fairly good manner.

CorvoSol

No spoilers here, just audio.
It's kind of a choral spin on the regular boss theme, with the epicness tuned up several notches

Even the cover/design of this book are so damn classy.

It's because Yoshida is the classy artist at Square. Nomura is the cool kid, Amano is the crazed, possibly pot-smoking uncle/older brother, and Yoshida is the good kid with all the class.

If all three of them worked on a game together, it'd be worth it just to see our brains melt. You'd run through super crazy techno cities covered in belts, open a door and fall into the screaming madness that is Amano's interpretation of the Opera, flee through hills made of sashes and beaded sun into a relaxing valley without noses.

Chris R

Kinda interested in this after seeing someone mention that the Job system is kinda similar to FFV's... Can't wait to play it this time next year!

demidar

That is high praise indeed. Another killer app for the 3DS. Class based systems are the best imo.

Top Bottom