• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil eyes 'Wild West' gun ownership law

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJLC

Doesn't hurt to try. Police and citizenry feel vulnerable with current laws, maybe a small step to allow weapons would help. After all we already see the police being able to defend self and get all those "off-duty cop shoots criminal" videos on liveleak on a daily basis.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Pretty much. Gun control works in Japan because they already have no gun crime. My friend was born in Brazil and she's always told us about how dangerous the north/northeast regions are. Non-lethal alternative would be nice.

If that was the case, why did it also work in Australia?

It is, however, true, that the more guns that exist within a country, the more expensive it will be to eliminate or reduce them. Additionally, the more porous the borders between neighboring countries will also work against gun control via smuggling.

Hypron

If that was the case, why did it also work in Australia?

It is, however, true, that the more guns that exist within a country, the more expensive it will be to eliminate or reduce them. Additionally, the more porous the borders between neighboring countries will also work against gun control via smuggling.

Well, at the moment guns are smuggled from the US to other countries. I'm not sure people smuggling guns in should be such a big worry for the US. It's a different story for South American countries though.

M3d10n

Well, the numbers will speak for themselves. That is, if the right wing doesn't assume the government and start covering up the statistics.

Platy

Most gun deaths here is war on drugs killings, so legalizing some drugs to take money from organized crime works better than arming the organized crime =P

But then again this is probably just another Cunha stunt, to take away from the fact that he, the head of congress, is with more corruption scandals than what is humanly possible to follow.

If this passes, good bye gaf because if WITHOUT THIS, Brazil has like 3 times more trans deaths than the second place in the world, with this will be open season on trans people =

appaws

Banned
Most gun deaths here is war on drugs killings, so legalizing some drugs to take money from organized crime works better than arming the organized crime =P

Arming the organized crime? I would assume that even the most optimistic supporter of weapons bans does not think that they will be able to keep them out of the hands of organized crime. Maybe drive prices up to keep the numbers of armed street thugs lower...but organized crime has the resources to arm themselves no matter what laws are passed.

Forkball

I wonder how they decided on nine guns a year.

Politician 1: How about we let everyone buy... I dunno, eight guns a year.
Politician 2: Eight? No, just no. We need to give people more leeway.
Politician 1: Ok, ten?
Politician 2: Good god man, show some restraint.
Politician 1: Uh, nine?
Politician 2: PERFECT.

I've talked with a bunch of brazilian friends who are outraged by this possibility. Their economic situation + this craziness just means massive migration processes happening soon.

Just don't bring the guns when immigrating to Portugal.

jediyoshi

"We need a cleansing. These criminals walk around and kill as they want. These people should be put out of business one way or another," he was quoted as saying by O Globo newspaper."

This quote is mother fucking nutso.

cacildo

In Brasil every tv station, every news paper and every news magazine is Fox News

This info will help you understand this thread

vityaz

Have you guys seen those brazilian robbery videos? They just don't give a flying fuck - they'll hop off their vespa and shoot you just to get your wallet, or when taking money from the register. It's a nightmare. I doubt citizens carrying guns will help much, will probably increase the shootings of robbery victims even more.

Condom

The country needs less guns, not more. Guess it's a lot easier to 'solve' it with this. Lazy governance.

thefro

The NRA wet dream.

It's this

D18ztDZ.jpg

felipeko

Don't think so:

Not that I agree with the policy in the OP, but if there's an overwhelming problem with criminals murdering people with guns, whats the solution?
The solution is: legalize drugs, reform prisons so people that go through leave better than when they enter and, of course, invest more in poor areas.

I don't think more or less guns laws will change anything for better or worse really, it's just a stupid discourse taking focus from the real problem (people being poor and drugs laws).

Frodo

It doesn't come as a shock, as Brazil is slowly going back to the middle ages thanks to a very conservative, moralist, and to no one's surprise, religious group of protestant congressmen which seems to have a lot of power thanks to their numbers and support from the ever increasing protestant population. Mind me, a lot of the bunch is probably just using the Christian faith to garner some votes (sounds familiar?). The speaker of the lower house of congress, which is part of the protestant group, is being accused (read: guilty) by Switzerland government of money evasion and money laundering amongst other claims. And the funny thing is, he has the power to vote against opening a investigation against him (which he did)!

On the last few months this group managed to drag Brazil back a few decades by stripping victims of rape of prophylactic measures to avoid pregnancy (like the next morning pill), and by making it even harder for them to get an abortion in case they do get pregnant. They also voted to define "Family" as a nuclei of Men, Woman and Children exclusively. So by definition, a single mother and her child are not family, and (god forbids!), two men or two women and children are also not family. They are also trying to pass a bill to criminalize "heterophobia", even though that is not even a word, or a concept in the real world.

If I were living in Brazil today I would be seriously desperate to move away from there. The "order and progress" stamped on every Brazilian flag is completely forgotten, as this congressmen try and try to make the rules of the country as close as possible to biblical times (as long as those law don't make their life harder, of course. It's only about pushing their own prejudices into jurisdiction). On the meanwhile corruption is widespread, and basically impossible to eradicate on the current law system (congressman have immunity and investigations are made "in-house", which is basically letting the prisoners decide whether or not they are guilty of the crimes they committed. A lot of the investigations end up achieving nothing, because the congressmen will make deals (read: more corruption) with other parties so they can vote in favour of the one being investigated, and so they can walk free).

I see no hope, really. Tragic. And sad. Very sad.

What they are proposing is nuts. As someone said in the thread, I'm also brazilian and have NEVER found a reason in the slightest to buy a gun to carry around for "self defense". They are trying to convince the world Brazil is some shitty guerrilla conflict territory, which isn't true at ALL (with exception to a VERY small concentrated area such as Rio de Janeiro's favelas).

This is purely the gun lobby trying to force it's way to sell more and get more money. The problem is, they are making a consortium of sorts with other lobbist so they can brute force their ideologies in the congress with number of votes. The Evangelists are helping this ffs, just because then they will have the gun manufacturers support on a possible anti-abort rush.

That said, I'm not too worried yet. Said law only passed through a preliminary court who checks if there's anything anticonstitutional being proposed and throws it ahead for further discussion. When the actual Congress gets to read it, they can't possibly let this pass with all the public reaction against it... Right? At least I hope so :(

Metra

1. Most brazilians are poor → Can't afford the most fundamental societal services, such as education → They rely on the government → Government is corrupt and bankrupt, does not provide these basic services.
  2. Brazilian criminal law is outdated (1940), lenient and has a lot of holes + Judiciary system is overwhelmed and can't comply with the demand + Penitentiary system is broken, and works as an university of crime → The police catch the criminals, but less than 10% actually goes to jail; the rest go back to the streets.
Situation 1 creates criminals. Situation 2 allows criminals to run loose.

People who can afford to pay for the aforementioned basic societal services are enraged and want to buy guns to "defend themselves"→ Gun industry sees excellent market potential, but current laws are holding them back → Instead of taking measures to solve situation 1 and 2, (corrupt) politicians take advantage of the situation to try and change the law, in order to sell guns.

Violet_0

Banned
Doesn't hurt to try. Police and citizenry feel vulnerable with current laws, maybe a small step to allow weapons would help. After all we already see the police being able to defend self and get all those "off-duty cop shoots criminal" videos on liveleak on a daily basis.

it will hurt when the gun violence goes up even further (along with many more gun-related accidents an suicides) and the government attempts to backpedal, except that there will millions of more guns among the population to worry about

cacildo

It doesn't come as a shock, as Brazil is slowly going back to the middle ages thanks to a very conservative, moralist, and to no one's surprise, religious group of protestant congressmen which seems to have a lot of power thanks to their numbers and support from the ever increasing protestant population. Mind me, a lot of the bunch is probably just using the Christian faith to garner some votes (sounds familiar?). The speaker of the lower house of congress, which is part of the protestant group, is being accused (read: guilty) by Switzerland government of money evasion and money laundering amongst other claims. And the funny thing is, he has the power to vote against opening a investigation against him (which he did)!

On the last few months this group managed to drag Brazil back a few decades by stripping victims of rape of prophylactic measures to avoid pregnancy (like the next morning pill), and by making it even harder for them to get an abortion in case they do get pregnant. They also voted to define "Family" as a nuclei of Men, Woman and Children exclusively. So by definition, a single mother and her child are not family, and (god forbids!), two men or two women and children are also not family. They are also trying to pass a bill to criminalize "heterophobia", even though that is not even a word, or a concept in the real world.

If I were living in Brazil today I would be seriously desperate to move away from there. The "order and progress" stamped on every Brazilian flag is completely forgotten, as this congressmen try and try to make the rules of the country as close as possible to biblical times (as long as those law don't make their life harder, of course. It's only about pushing their own prejudices into jurisdiction). On the meanwhile corruption is widespread, and basically impossible to eradicate on the current law system (congressman have immunity and investigations are made "in-house", which is basically letting the prisoners decide whether or not they are guilty of the crimes they committed. A lot of the investigations end up achieving nothing, because the congressmen will make deals (read: more corruption) with other parties so they can vote in favour of the one being investigated, and so they can walk free).

I see no hope, really. Tragic. And sad. Very sad.

Fantastic post. Unfortunally nobody else will read it - people only read the headlines

Water

Limiting ammo purchases to 50 / month while it's legal to own guns for self defense or sport purposes is insane. Responsible use of guns requires training and training requires ammo. A couple hundred rounds a month at least - competition shooters can use even two thousand / month.

Limiting ammo purchases to 50 / month while it's legal to own guns for self defense or sport purposes is insane. Responsible use of guns requires training and training requires ammo. A couple hundred rounds a month at least - competition shooters can use even two thousand / month.

This. Wtf. I'll go through 50 rounds in about 500 seconds at the range.

Famassu

It makes sense in the context of brazil.

More guns makes sense in absolutely NO situation. It's the dumbest fucking thing to do. Of course stricter gun laws & control alone won't help a country in Brazil's situation, but that would be a big step in the right direction.

Even

Brazilians are under the constant threat of violent crime and slowly walking towards a dictatorship like Venezuela. Economic and political crisis is deepening, and to make matters worse there are dangerous groups (some of them trained by Venezuelan militia) willing to take up arms to defend the extremely corrupt government. Guns will never be a solution, but in the current context it's understandable that some people are desperate to protect themselves somehow.

Frodo

Brazilians are under the constant threat of violent crime and slowly walking towards a dictatorship like Venezuela. Economic and political crisis is deepening, and to make matters worse there are dangerous groups (some of them trained by Venezuelan militia) willing to take up arms to defend the extremely corrupt government. Guns will never be a solution, but in the current context it's understandable that some people are desperate to protect themselves somehow.

Source and source, please?

GAF shouldn't take some Brazilians opinions so seriously, we love fear mongering and bad mouthing our country to extreme heights, I mean look at this insane post:

No, we are not becoming Venezuela for Christ sake.

WHAT THE HECK.

I wonder how many in this thread actually understand the real situation here on Brazil and aren't commenting purely based on conjecture on the internet. It seems like a consensus around here that the country is a big huge favela-like Rio de Janeiro with drug dealers running around with guns everywhere. Is this truly how the international general public sees it?

Violet_0

Banned
WHAT THE HECK.

I wonder how many in this thread actually understand the real situation here on Brazil and aren't commenting purely based on conjecture on the internet. It seems like a consensus around here that the country is a big huge favela-like Rio de Janeiro with drug dealers running around with guns everywhere. Is this truly how the international general public sees it?

I ... I could lie if you want
many/most people will probably think of the Amazon rainforest/carnival/favelas and gang violence when you ask them about Brazil. Not me, in my sophisticated view Brazil is exactly like the movie Rio

I ... I could lie if you want
many/most people will probably think of the Amazon rainforest/carnival/favelas and gang violence when you ask them about Brazil. Not me, in my sophisticated view Brazil is exactly like the movie Rio

This makes me really, really sad. It's somehow expected since it's a stigma the country has for a long time, but I was ingenuous enough to think this kind of prejudiced view had no place on a forum like NeoGAF where the majority of users has proper education and factual discussions are encouraged. lol

Platy

WHAT THE HECK.

Junior is talking about "Bolsomito"* for sure xD

...just not sure if he is in favor or against =P

*lovely nickname of Jair Bolsonaro, a dude who thinks milatary dictatorship is awesome, is a HUGE misoginistic and hates minorities in a way that would make Trump looks like a drag queen

butzopower

proud of his butz
This makes me really, really sad. It's somehow expected since it's a stigma the country has for a long time, but I was ingenuous enough to think this kind of prejudiced view had no place on a forum like NeoGAF where the majority of users has proper education and factual discussions are encouraged. lol

The same forum that thinks every person in the US is in love with guns.

Tiops

It's easy to understand why the right-wing is gaining force around here, as the current left-wing government is absolutely terrible (in the whole South America, actually). You're only going to see the extremes around here, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom