• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakup Season is upon us

Aizo

Banned
I think most all my relationships have started in Fall/Winter and ended in Spring/Fall, strangely enough. It's definitely a high enough number to be a trend.

Cepheus

I've never had a breakup because I've never been in a relationship, but I've been turned down twice- Once from a girl in February 2016 and once from a boy in March 2017. This probably means that I won't fall in love until April 2018 and I'll get turned down again, following the pattern.

vern

I've never had a breakup because I've never been in a relationship, but I've been turned down twice- Once from a girl in February 2016 and once from a boy in March 2017. This probably means that I won't fall in love until April 2018 and I'll get turned down again, following the pattern.

You fall in love with people, and then ask them out?

I think you are doing things backwards.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Interest and mutual attraction is different to love. If you love someone before you have dated them, then you dont know what love is or how relationships work.

Ah, okay. You got me on both I'm afraid. Although I'm different to the other guy in that I've never fallen in love with anyone, or had anything more than a shallow (physical) attraction, so forgive my difficulty in telling the difference.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wife and I are going through a divorce. Doesn't make sense to me because she says she loves me, I'm the best person she's ever met and she's eternally grateful for all I've done, yet she doesn't want me.

Went to a couples session and she was willing to go only to say she wants out, so now I'm working on filing the divorce. She says She needs to grow up, yet she struggles to pay her portion of the finances we agreed to split and She has maxed out 2 new credit cards She applied for.

She says she doesn't want 50%, she only wants her car paid off so she can remove that burden from herself and make life easier for her. How can a person be so selfish and tear apart a family, yet not really know what they are seeking in life?

Got married too young and she wants to experience other things and people.

Wait, why else would you ask someone out? Do people just ask out people they have no interest in, is that what I'm missing?

You can't be serious.
Love and interest are VERY different. Love only maybe develops after you know someone really really well. Like after being with them for a year or more.

Cepheus

You fall in love with people, and then ask them out?

I think you are doing things backwards.

Why would you ask someone out if you didn't love them?

Got married too young and she wants to experience other things and people.

You can't be serious.
Love and interest are VERY different. Love only maybe develops after you know someone really really well. Like after being with them for a year or more.

Both times, the people I fell in love with were friends I'd known for a while. So yeah, I knew them really really well. I knew the first for three years.

Funnily enough it seems to be the opposite for me. I end up with a girlfriend for the winter and then come 6 months down the line things don't work out. Currently dating someone now and have been for a month, but we aren't gelling as well as I'd hope, so that will be binned off soon conversely lol.

You're wrong OP! People start getting cut from the line up around St. Patrick's day. That's when the drinking and nicer weather starts. Early Fall marks the start of drafting for cuffing season.

Saganator

Not a serious relationship, but I started dating a girl a couple days after Thanksgiving. Kinda funny, she was actually a girl I originally met on AOL way back in the day and we had a little thing when I was 15 or so. She lived too far away so it didn't last too long.

We find each other randomly on Tinder and hit it off pretty good. Things were progressing decently, not too fast but not too slow. We seemed to be really into each other though, she would say things like "so glad we found each other again", "you're the best" blah blah.

Apparently her sister is having issues with alcoholism and was causing some drama in the family. We talked about doing something together on New Years but it fell through because of said drama (supposedly). On New Years Day, I sent her a text saying happy near year and stuff. No response all day.

The next day I text her saying "what the hell?" She finally responds with a text saying that there's too much drama going on with her sister and doesn't think right now is a good time for a relationship, she's going to concentrate on family stuff and finishing school up.

I suspected that was bullshit, but I said ok well then best of luck to you and your family. Don't be a stranger. That was that, not a big deal, just pretty let down given just days before she says saying how happy she was we met back up.

Next day I load up Tinder again now that I'm back on the market. Guess who's face pops up? Yeah concentrating on family, suuureee. I sent her a text saying I saw her on Tinder and her new years resolution should be to be honest with people. She said "ok" and then blocked me on every social media platform.

Nothing too heart-breaking, but that's my story. Kinda wish it never happened, I had good memories of her from when we met way back in the day on AOL and she kinda soured all those memories.

It felt like this happened a few months ago. A friend commented on how everyone was either getting engaged, pregnant, or breaking up. I got dumped in June by my gf of 9 months. Not a super long relationship, but still hurt. I've been in 3 long term relationships and they all started during the Breakup Season.

First one started in Early February. I ended it in May the following year.
Next one started in December. I ended it in August.
The most recent one in November. She ended it in June.

Looks like I'm due to meet someone in the next couple of months lol. Summertime is a bitch for me though.

I have no idea what OP is talking about. He clearly has problems with relationships.

Every year in September, I get freshly married before burning to death and reverting to ashes in February. I am born again in March to begin and marry anew, fresh and full of vitality.

Damn, that thread is a graveyard. People that tend to give relationship advice must also correlate with people who antagonize and don't play well with others. Are she and your ex-friend still together?

Haha I don't know, I don't exactly keep in touch with either of them. I did see her at a party about a year and a half ago, since we have a mutual friend, but we just smiled and said "hi" and then avoided each other the rest of the time.

Got dumped by my first girlfriend five days after Christmas 2016, and just a couple days after our families had met for the first time. That was awkward. In retrospect, I really should have seen it coming, though (or, ideally, just bailed out of that relationship months prior). I had been checked out of that relationship and was just clinging to it out of fear and comfort. Should have given that relationship a quick death rather than letting it fester for a year longer.

Dove into a new relationship in mid-April and things have been going swimmingly. It's only been about five months, but my new girlfriend made me realize that I'd basically wasted two years of my life on a trash relationship lmao.

Yager

Banned
I'm getting closer to breaking up with my gf for a simple reason: we've been together for 2 years, talked about living together, but she wants kids and I don't (not that I don't want with her, she would be an excellent mother, I don't want kids period), so...yeah, there's no middle ground for that. We love each other a lot and right now we are kinda in the "enjoy it as much as you can while it lasts", but at the same time we now this can go to shittown sooner than later.

Why would you ask someone out if you didn't love them?

Both times, the people I fell in love with were friends I'd known for a while. So yeah, I knew them really really well. I knew the first for three years.

Physical attraction.
Desire for a relationship in general
Some level of interest and curiosity about the person even though you don't know them well yet

Very few people would describe their emotional state on date 1 as "in love"

Izayoi

Banned
Very few people would describe their emotional state on date 1 as "in love"
And those who do would immediately throw up a red flag for me.

Relationships start as mutual attraction, lust, etc. They progress to love over time, once you have a deep understanding of your partner.

Been single for about a year and a half now.

Had some casual flings but nothing that's stuck so far.

I know a girl who would be jealous if I started dating someone but she's not willing to commit so eh.

I'm getting closer to breaking up with my gf for a simple reason: we've been together for 2 years, talked about living together, but she wants kids and I don't (not that I don't want with her, she would be an excellent mother, I don't want kids period), so...yeah, there's no middle ground for that. We love each other a lot and right now we are kinda in the "enjoy it as much as you can while it lasts", but at the same time we now this can go to shittown sooner than later.

Knew a co-worker who broke up with her boyfriend of 9 years for the same reason. They still love each other I think. Very tough, but it's really one of the only 100% "make or break" things, I think. It would be completely unfair on her, you, and any potential kids if that's really your feeling on the matter.

The OP makes me laugh though, where do people get this "social trend with no basis or hypothesis" bullshit? That said my current GF ended both of her prior relationships in October/November, so maybe I should ignore our happiness and be irrationally paranoid...

K' Dash

Knew a co-worker who broke up with her boyfriend of 9 years for the same reason. They still love each other I think. Very tough, but it's really one of the only 100% "make or break" things, I think. It would be completely unfair on her, you, and any potential kids if that's really your feeling on the matter.

The OP makes me laugh though, where do people get this "social trend with no basis or hypothesis" bullshit? That said my current GF ended both of her prior relationships in October/November, so maybe I should ignore our happiness and be irrationally paranoid...

I´m not saying everyones relationships are ending, it´s just that people going trough a rough patch tend to end by thanksgiving/christmas.

US spring break is also common.

Top Bottom