• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound insensitive but....
couldn't this shit wait til AFTER I got my Apocalypse movie -sigh- never going to see my favorite super hero/villain on the big screen am I #pout

strobogo

Banned
Yes but the connotation of 'underage boy' is someone much younger than 17 years old, an age which many wouldn't consider underage.

I think most dudes in their 20s think 17 is under age, to the point where they worry about hooking up with a 17 year old girl. They might do it anyway, but anything under 18=underage is drilled in most guys head from the time they are around 15 or 16.

17 year olds are stupid, especially compared to a 30 year old. 18 year olds are also stupid. I think the line is kind of arbitrary, but the line is the line and most guys are aware of it from before the point it even applies to them.

Spinluck

Yo, why the fuck does Singer have the same creep face in every picture?

You can't tell when any of them were taken, he looks the same age in all of them lol.

Replicant

EW

yc8TcCM.jpg

Now, THIS is legit creepy.

I think most dudes in their 20s think 17 is under age, to the point where they worry about hooking up with a 17 year old girl. They might do it anyway, but anything under 18=underage is drilled in most guys head from the time they are around 15 or 16.

17 year olds are stupid, especially compared to a 30 year old. 18 year olds are also stupid. I think the line is kind of arbitrary, but the line is the line and most guys are aware of it from before the point it even applies to them.
Well I can vouch as I'm 21. That being said, I clicked on this thread expecting to learn that he'd molested a child or something. Also not American, 16 is the age of consent where I live but I wouldn't sleep with a 16 year old girl, I understand your point.

The abuse began when he was 15.

The New York daily reported this. The link is already in the thread.
Wasn't aware, apologies everyone.

Dead Man

i hate to be that guy, but ian mckellen is really close with singer.....

I thought it was known he liked younger guys? Never heard anything suspect about it though. I mean 20-25 year old guys. His last long term partner listed on wikipedia is 20 years younger than him.

Stet

Banned
If I were to cast Bryan Singer in a film, it would be as a Nazi doctor. That has no bearing on the conversation at hand, but regardless.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Thanos level subterfuge to get mutants back in the marvel camp?

Obvious jokes aside... if the underage (15) stuff is true that's pretty f'ed. If it spreads out past hollywood it's gonna hurt Xmen pretty bad eh? really curious what some of the stars of DoFP will have to say if asked about this.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually very cut and dry. Even if the surivor was 17 and said, Yes Bryan, let's have sex! it is still rape.

It's not a fuzzy issue. It's actually extremely clear.

I'm not talking about from a legal standpoint. Because I don't believe americas definition of rape in that case. I think it's wrong. where I'm from 16 is old enough to be sexually active.

America seems to take the 'if you touch a 17 year old you're a child sex offender' which is just silly. a person is then branded a pedo despite their victim being sexually mature they are not seen as different to a baby rapist in the eyes of the law.

The issue is only clear in the eyes of American law, Im not US law expert but I think you even have states where the law is more reasonable.

Secondly, this kid went multiple times to hawaii, I don't think he was fully helpless if he was travelling by himself.

Thanos level subterfuge to get mutants back in the marvel camp?

Obvious jokes aside... if the underage (15) stuff is true that's pretty f'ed. If it spreads out past hollywood it's gonna hurt Xmen pretty bad eh? really curious what some of the stars of DoFP will have to say if asked about this.

If they were smart, they'd immediately walk out of the interview room. It's a no win situation.

Defend your director Singer, and it looks like you're bashing a child rape victim.
Show support for the victim and his allegations, and it looks like you're throwing your director, who may be innocent, under the bus.

Blader

I'm not talking about from a legal standpoint. Because I don't believe americas definition of rape in that case. I think it's wrong. where I'm from 16 is old enough to be sexually active.

That's the only standpoint that matters. No offense, but what you think is irrelevant to whether or not what Singer allegedly did is illegal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wtf at these sean williams scott is gay rumors....

Uh, the gay part isn't the rumor. The rumor is the casting couch. Which, if you saw that pilot that is linked in my reddit link link... welp.

inm8num2

Bryan Singer No Longer Attending WonderCon To Support “X-Men: Days Of Future Past”

Bryan Singer will no longer participate in the fan convention WonderCon to support his film X-Men: Days of Future Past, BuzzFeed has learned, in the wake of a lawsuit alleging that Singer used drugs and alcohol to force a teenage boy to participate in oral and anal sex.

Singer had been scheduled to do two hours of one-on-one interviews during the convention on Saturday, April 19, as well as a press line and press conference, according to an email sent by Fox’s digital PR team. But Singer will no longer fulfill those obligations; instead, producer-screenwriter Simon Kinberg will take over Singer’s interviews, Kinberg’s rep confirmed.

Fox, meanwhile, released a statement calling the lawsuit “serious allegations” and a “personal matter…[which] will be resolved in the appropriate forum.”

Singer’s attorney, Marty Singer, called the suit “completely without merit” and “absurd and defamatory.”

BuzzFeed also first reported that ABC is removing Singer’s name from commercials for the network’s new series Black Box, which Singer executive produced.

Expected but worth sharing, I guess.

I remember on a trip to LA some years ago, I was walking down the street in WeHo and dude in his late 50's rolled buy in a drop top BMW blasting music drawing attention to himself with a clearly 15 or 16 year old boy in the front seat.... his license plate MANBOY.
LA.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hollywood Reporter - Bryan Singer Accuser Filed Suit Over Sexual Abuse in 2000 But Didn’t Name Him (Exclusive)

Michael Egan sued in 2000 over alleged sexual abuse at the site of a 1999 party, naming various defendants but not director Bryan Singer.

The man suing X-Men director Bryan Singer for forcible sexual abuse of a minor at 1999 parties in Los Angeles and Hawaii apparently previously sued the alleged hosts of the Los Angeles party but omitted Singer from his allegations then. That lawsuit was filed in 2000 in Los Angeles Superior Court. Some of the allegations are repeated in the later lawsuit, including a claim that one of the hosts professed to have "gaydar" and knew that the plaintiff wanted gay sex.

The 2000 suit was filed by several individuals, including one identified as "Michael E, a minor, by and through his guardian ad litem, Bonnie Mound." The plaintiff in the suit filed Wednesday is Michael Egan. The birthday given for “Michael E” would make him 31 today, which is Egan's age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom