• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

There is a huge difference between what Franco didn't do and how he went about it and what Singer is being accused of.

Yeah, what Franco was about to do, was still unethical, scummy even.
But this is a whole other level of being a piece of shit, drugs were involved and the abuse started when the kid was 15.

(allegedly etc etc)

Zen

Banned
Yeah, what Franco was about to do, was still unethical, scummy even.
But this is a whole other level of being a piece of shit, drugs were involved and the abuse started when the kid was 15.

(allegedly etc etc)

I mean, when Franco found out her age (1 year short of being 18 wasn't it?) he explicitly asked when her next birthday was and if she wanted to meet after.

I mean, when Franco found out her age (1 year short of being 18 wasn't it?) he explicitly asked when her next birthday was and if she wanted to meet after.

Doesn't matter, people in that thread were explicitly defending the idea of him having sex with a seventeen year old.

That said, the situation here is definitely different and I shouldn't have made the comparison.

Jasper

Oh no....not Sir Ian....

UcfZFHt.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
Everyone has 18 18 18 drilled in their heads. Franco's girl was legal in NY, and he did not violate the Mann Act by flying her across state lines to circumvent the age of consent laws of the jurisdiction she is domiciled in. To add, she was legal in her homeland anyway. Singer plied his victim with alcohol and raped him.

Dabanton

I'd always heard the Colin Farrell and Spacey rumours, as he was his pet project for a while.

Just read that Joel Schumacher apparently also 'had' Farrell as well would certainly make his casting in Tigerland make sense.

Damm.

Alrus

Is this supposed to be a play with the catholic church or something? Because I would would describe it as "a priest and his choirboys".

Messed up.

Or he just dressed up as a priest during a costume party? Lots of people do that. Unfortunate due to the circumstances and yeah a bit creepy, but hindsight and all that.

I thought it was known he liked younger guys? Never heard anything suspect about it though. I mean 20-25 year old guys. His last long term partner listed on wikipedia is 20 years younger than him.

He likes younger guys. That's about it.

So just like Bryan Singer? Apparently liking younger dude when you're old and a prominent hollywood person immediately makes you a rapist.

Everyone has 18 18 18 drilled in their heads. Franco's girl was legal in NY, and he did not violate the Mann Act by flying her across state lines to circumvent the age of consent laws of the jurisdiction she is domiciled in. To add, she was legal in her homeland anyway. Singer plied his victim with alcohol and raped him.

We don't know that yet, but yay guilty until proven innocent because it's Hollywood. Of course it's true, haven't you heard all those internet rumors? Every single big name gay director in hollywood is a creep...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Let's be clear here, Ian McKellen has not been accused or even linked with anything. He is gay and has worked with Bryan Singer, that he is in a picture attending a party with him is absolutely not indicative of anything except that he was at a party with Bryan Singer.

Let's be clear here, Ian McKellen has not been accused or even linked with anything. He is gay and has worked with Bryan Singer, that he is in a picture attending a party with him is absolutely not indicative of anything except that he was at a party with Bryan Singer.

I think it's the type of parties that Singer arranges and the 15 year old looking kid next to him that gives this picture the creepy vibes.

But it could just be a completely benign X-Men production related event.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Oh I get why it could be seen as creepy, but it just seems a bit wrong to suggest such things when there is zero evidence for it (as you say, the picture could be from anywhere).

kirblar

It's sounded like Singer has his current guy around constantly, so yeah, you can't read anything into a shot that has one in it.

Sapiens

21acfaa1636ee16a5058d0f43ac67194.jpg

Dundundun

This is probably a very Dean Pelton / Jeff Winger relationship.

Also, I don't know what everyone is freaking out about. These are only accusations from the same lawyers who attacked Kevin Clash (and all charges against Clash were either dismissed or dropped).

charsace

Aside from making awful movies, what's sickening about Joel Schumacher? Being a director and gay in hollywood don't immediately makes you a sick bastard does it?

Rumor is Joel has been balls deep in many famous asses. Haim claimed that Joel was one the guys who abused his position.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The only thing I have heard is he likes college aged guys. Hangs out at bars a lot.

Yeah, I don't have an issue with a dude hanging out at bars and liking college aged men (or women) and getting laid off their charisma and/or celebrity. If he's not slipping drugs to them or telling them that he's going to ruin their lives if they tell anyone, then he's just a guy out on the town. Spacey's not crossing an ethical line. It's a little weird and sad in the same way it's weird and sad when you see a 50 year old guy paying for a handsy in a titty bar, but it's not evil.

The line is crossed, though, when someone starts giving below-college-age people drugs and alcohol, promising them (or denying them) employment, and/or violating the Mann Act to get them into a state where the age of consent is lower. Hell, even if the kids no longer kids and were 45 and they were being given roofies and booze to so someone could rape them, I'd think the rapist needed to go to jail for a long fucking time, because, well, it's rape.

Yo, why the fuck does Singer have the same creep face in every picture?
He paid good money for that creep face.

I'm not talking about from a legal standpoint. Because I don't believe americas definition of rape in that case. I think it's wrong. where I'm from 16 is old enough to be sexually active.
Does your country's definition of rape include putting drugs and alcohol into someone with or without their knowledge in order to make them more compliant for sex?

I hope this isn't true, but it's really not uncommon in Hollywood.
Commonality doesn't really factor into tolerability.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not talking about from a legal standpoint. Because I don't believe americas definition of rape in that case. I think it's wrong. where I'm from 16 is old enough to be sexually active.

America seems to take the 'if you touch a 17 year old you're a child sex offender' which is just silly. a person is then branded a pedo despite their victim being sexually mature they are not seen as different to a baby rapist in the eyes of the law.

The issue is only clear in the eyes of American law, Im not US law expert but I think you even have states where the law is more reasonable.

Secondly, this kid went multiple times to hawaii, I don't think he was fully helpless if he was travelling by himself.

Personally, I think the age of majority should be the age of consent.

Legally, it's not fuzzy. And also, even if he was 30, he's saying that he was drugged and raped, on top of the fact that the kid was 15 at the time. This reeks of victim blaming.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Rumor is Joel has been balls deep in many famous asses. Haim claimed that Joel was one the guys who abused his position.
Yeah, Schumacher directed The Lost Boys, and Corey Feldman claimed Corey Haim was used for sex even on that very set, amongst others. At 14. So with the knowledge that he likes young boys, you can assume the worst.

Haim was the first of the two to be sexually assaulted, though he didn’t recognize at the time that he was being abused.

Haim, then just 14, arrived on the set of “The Lost Boys” thinking that pleasuring older men was just what a young boy did.

And when Haim suddenly came on to him sexually, Feldman was appalled.

“Within hours of our first meeting, we found ourselves talking about ‘Lucas,’ the film he made in the summer of 1985, the role I had wanted for myself,” Feldman writes. “At some point during the filming, he explained an adult male convinced him that it was perfectly normal for older men and younger boys in the business to have sexual relations, that it was what all ‘guys do.’

“So they walked off to a secluded area between two trailers, during a lunch break for the cast and crew, and Haim, innocent and ambitious as he was, allowed himself to be sodomized.”

“So ...” Haim told Feldman, according to the book, “I guess we should play around like that, too?”

Delio

So just like Bryan Singer? Apparently liking younger dude when you're old and a prominent hollywood person immediately makes you a rapist..

No, I never said that automatically makes you a rapist/pedo. I like twinks myself and get accused of the shit even on gaf.

People should stop putting the guilt on others just by association. These are serious accusations that could ruin a man's life.

Yeah, Schumacher directed The Lost Boys, and Corey Feldman claimed Corey Haim was used for sex even on that very set, amongst others. At 14. So with the knowledge that he likes young boys, you can assume the worst.

Hollywood really is the perfect place for this shit. For every creepy fuck with a huge appetite for barely-legal (or not-yet-legal) boy/girl meat, there are a dozen naive kids who will do anything that they think will get them incrementally closer to stardom.

People should stop putting the guilt on others just by association. These are serious accusations that could ruin a man's life.

If Singer's life is ruined by this, it won't be because we're talking shit about him on an Internet message board.

It's a lot of straight guys in this thread that are doing this. Just because you're gay and work in hollywood doesn't automatically make you a rapist or mean you drug young boys for sex. It's rather annoying how people are pointing fingers just because.

I even saw some posts on a different website pointing fingers at Joshua Jackson. What? Where the fuck did that come from? Because he was seen at some party?

Yes. Because you'll be raped.

By a gay man no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom