• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

SonnyBoy

Mounted my 65" KS8000 and it's glorious. Thank you GAF. It replaces a 15 year old 45" Samsung Plasma, so an upgrade was way overdo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also the b6 appears only a little more expensive than the ks8000 if I were to downgrade from 65" to 55". My current tv is 40". Is that worth it? Would you get that oled instead or is input lag bad or something

CLW

With the recent price drop and Black Friday deal I'm thinking about getting the LG 65" B6 OLED.

Any of you guys have that set have any thoughts? Pros/Cons/Tips/Setting etc.. would all be greatly appreciated!

Tobor

I just want to say that I'm really impressed with the LG B6. I'm coming from a LCD (LED-lit) 1080p set from 2010 and everything about it just feels like a massive upgrade. I really love OLED technology and just how incredible the contrast and colors are on this set. It's really something to behold. Any 4K set looks great with the right content, of course, but comparing this set in the store to the LCD sets that were nearby, and there was just no contest for me. The combination of OLED, 4K, and HDR just creates an incredible picture.

Any input lag issues on the B6? I'm hearing these LG OLED sets are the best right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also the b6 appears only a little more expensive than the ks8000 if I were to downgrade from 65" to 55". My current tv is 40". Is that worth it? Would you get that oled instead or is input lag bad or something

Any input lag issues on the B6? I'm hearing these LG OLED sets are the best right now.

Input lag on the B6 is about double the KS7000/8000, although it's weird because it varies - going from about 35-58ms in a cycle.

Generally the OLEDs are well rated, but they can have issues with backlight limiting making the image darker, and artifacting at near black levels. They're also naturally less bright than the high end LCDs so if you watch in very well lit rooms they might not be quite as good a choice compared to if you watch in a darker room.

The Panasonic dx902 is a full array local dimming LCD that is supposed to be excellent too, at similar prices to the LG B6. Although I think someone posted that they aren't available in the US?

DBT85

john lewis and Richer sounds have both price matched Currys with the 55XD93 for £1499. Richer sounds seem to have stopped the soundbar offer, although I'm pretty sure their website yesterday said the offer was until the 22nd november

edit: trigger pulled on the 55XD93 from richer sounds at £1499 with the free soundbar (which will almost certainly get sold). should be in at the store by Wednesday but probably next weekend before I can get it home.

Been to IKEA today to get the wider TV bench so now I have a few days to get that all sorted and ready.

Congrats!

Just so you know, it does come with the wall mount too.

Hopefully your screen is all good when it comes, my replacement will be here on Tuesday.

Also, you don't have to lift the TV out of the box. The box lifts off of the TV.

Tobor

Input lag on the B6 is about double the KS7000/8000, although it's weird because it varies - going from about 35-58ms in a cycle.

Generally the OLEDs are well rated, but they can have issues with backlight limiting making the image darker, and artifacting at near black levels. They're also naturally less bright than the high end LCDs so if you watch in very well lit rooms they might not be quite as good a choice compared to if you watch in a darker room.

The Panasonic dx902 is a full array local dimming LCD that is supposed to be excellent too, at similar prices to the LG B6. Although I think someone posted that they aren't available in the US?

I have no frame of reference, is 35-58ms good or bad? I couldn't even tell you what the input lag on my current tv is.

Logash

Just got a Samsung ks8000 and I'm wondering how I run 4k Netflix. I'm trying to watch stranger things and I think it's still running in 1080p

Just got a Samsung ks8000 and I'm wondering how I run 4k Netflix. I'm trying to watch stranger things and I think it's still running in 1080p

Do you have the 4k Netflix plan?

I have no frame of reference, is 35-58ms good or bad? I couldn't even tell you what the input lag on my current tv is.

It's user preferences e but for the sake of argument let's pretend you're a competitive gamer that plays say fighting games.

35ms is tolerable but you're definitely at some disadvantage. 85ms And you better hope you have precondition as you'll be having to anticipate moves far in advanced to actually time it properly. Very very noticeable input lag for gaming. Your performance will suffer. You're experiencing 8-16x times the input lag of what someone on a monitor typically does. 85 ms on a PC would feel like the mouse cursor was someone watching you do a movement and imitate it.

jrcbandit

Yes I do. Bought it when I decided to buy the TV a couple of months ago.

You need to be using the built in Samsung Netflix app. I don't think PS4 Pro has been updated to work yet. The built in app has a 4k section when selecting shows. Lots of TV shows and a few movies. Check out Marco Polo - it also has HDR. You said you already upgraded to the $12 ultra HD plan so you should be good to go.

For sound using the built-in Netflix app, just use the HDMI ARC input and connect that to your receiver, and turn the ARC capability on your receiver on.

Madness

No do I need to? I thought the PS4 app could do it. I also tried the Xbox one app.

Well the PS4 and Xbox One only output at 1080p. So there is no way for your television to show 4K. You would need a PS4 Pro or Xbox One S that output at 4k. But I am not sure thr PS4 Pro app updated yet. But they still wouldn't beat your televisions native app. Use the app that comes on your television and enjoy.

What about the Dolby vision thing

Dolby Vision is superior to HDR10. But most all UHD blu-ray and PS4 Pro and Xbox One S only use the HDR10 spec. So it is just extra future proofing. The OLED will give you a superior viewing experience in terms of 4K and HDR. Bigger sizes are always better for 4K than smaller ones. However if you are coming from a 40", a 55" would still amaze you with the size. I personally bought a 65" KS8000 because I need big size in the living room and because the price was dirt cheap through the now expired EPP deals from Samsung.

The question really comes down to, is the tv more for gaming or a mix, how noticeable is input lag to you? And how often are you going to upgrade? For primarily fps players, fighters, you may notice it more than in any other game, or if you are a PC'er coming from a monitor. Othwerwise anything below 60ms is playable but sub 40ms is optimal. What tv do you have right now, do you know the input lag?

Y2Kev

It's a super trash tv I got at some tricky tray three years ago. Literally. I think it's a Westinghouse. I put it in the living room because it was big. My main tv is a sharp aquos from eight years ago...32".

Most review sources seem to agree that the oled is better but good enough to drop ten inches (and pay 300more or so) and potentially deal with bad lag? I'm hardly a pro g4m3r but maybe I'd notice it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a super trash tv I got at some tricky tray three years ago. Literally. I think it's a Westinghouse. I put it in the living room because it was big. My main tv is a sharp aquos from eight years ago...32".

Most review sources seem to agree that the oled is better but good enough to drop ten inches (and pay 300more or so) and potentially deal with bad lag? I'm hardly a pro g4m3r but maybe I'd notice it.

B6 is average/mediocre for lag. But if you've gamed on your current one and survived - maybe that old one is even worse?

Madness

You are probably playing on worse input lag right now than the OLED. But that said, bigger size is always better. It is the number one regret for people. Both televisions will blow you away with what they can do though. If you want more future proofing, OLED is the future and having Dolby Vision certification will help. But saving yourself a few hundred dollars, getting yourself a bigger size and still amazing 4K and HDR tv with the KS8000 may be the better option.

Phreak47

So yeah I picked up a ps4 pro. ratchet, tlou, and titanfall 2 all look straight up amazing.

Ratchet looks better than any pc game I have. Have a 1070 rig hooked up to my tv.

0 jaggies and his fur is legit insane. Colors and shadows and everything just pops.

Might have to pick up uc4.

Haha wait until you play UC4 in HDR. Started it for the third time through myself.

are you using the tvs built in apps?

No do I need to? I thought the PS4 app could do it. I also tried the Xbox one app.

PS4 Pro app supports it. I've been watching Bloodline in 4k. (Allows me to use my A50 cans with 4k... awesome)
Make sure you've set the PS4's HDMI input to 4K mode on the TV

So I have a question for you guys. On the KS8000 when my TV is connected to my PC at 4k 8bit 4:4:4 60hz. When I play a YouTube video at 4k and full screen I get stuttering issues. if drop the window back to standard size no issue. if TV is set to 1440p or 1080p also no stuttering.

is it likely my browser that isn't liking it? I can't imagine it's the TV at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's a noticeable improvement in Uncharted 4 coming from my old set which apparently had upwards of 120 ms of input lag! I was dumb back in 2010 and assumed that response time meant the same thing as input lag. To me, the B6 feels plenty responsive even in 4K HDR settings. I hooked it up to my PC last night (just 4K) and even that felt fine.

Obviously the Samsung sets have the lowest input lag, but the B6 is better than fine for me after using it and the picture you get from OLED can't be beat by LCD screens if you ask me.

Yea it's not available in the US, i would of bought the dx902 if it was available.

Edit: I thought the prices were supposed to be lower for the dx902. I didnt know they were the same price as the oled models.

Nydus

You are probably playing on worse input lag right now than the OLED. But that said, bigger size is always better. It is the number one regret for people. Both televisions will blow you away with what they can do though. If you want more future proofing, OLED is the future and having Dolby Vision certification will help. But saving yourself a few hundred dollars, getting yourself a bigger size and still amazing 4K and HDR tv with the KS8000 may be the better option.

I think the number one regret is paying a shitload of money for a lcd and having to deal with clouding, flashlights and mediocre blacks. I dont know if it is still a problem with those new samsungs but thats my beef with lcd. Im sitting ~2,5m away and for me 55" seem perfect. I never tried 65" at that distance and maybe its amazing but i always have the fear that i get the "first-row-syndrome" when the tv gets too big. (I have the sony w802 from 2013)

I think the number one regret is paying a shitload of money for a lcd and having to deal with clouding, flashlights and mediocre blacks. I dont know if it is still a problem with those new samsungs but thats my beef with lcd. Im sitting ~2,5m away and for me 55" seem perfect. I never tried 65" at that distance and maybe its amazing but i always have the fear that i get the "first-row-syndrome" when the tv gets too big. (I have the sony w802 from 2013)

I feel you man. the ks8000 is the first time I've been impressed with a led tv. Once bigger oleds become more affordable i will definitely pick one up to replace the plasma in our living room.

Y2Kev

Someone tell me what to do

edit: here is my existing tv LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-CW46T9FW-46-1080p-60Hz-Class-LCD-HDTV/22227244#about-item

It's 46", not 40".

Nydus

Prices only go up after BF I thought?

There are always sales. And lets say you buy a new tv now for 2000€ but in 5 months some company releases the perfect tv for you for 200€ more. Would you hate yourself? If the answer is no...buy a samsung now lol

I had the same issue a week or so ago. I got the OLED. Couldn't be happier. Input lag is no where near as bad as GAF lead me to believe. I don't even notice. OLED is the way to go.

Y2Kev

There are always sales. And lets say you buy a new tv now for 2000€ but in 5 months some company releases the perfect tv for you for 200€ more. Would you hate yourself? If the answer is no...buy a samsung now lol

I dunno! I've never even seen a 4K TV. I think I'll go to bestbuy tomorrow.

OmegaDL50

Don't have a lot of space to work with.

I live in an apartment and space is a premium. I'm using a dresser as a TV stand more or less.

The base is about 30 inches in width, so while I'd love to buy the KS8000 unfortunately this TV uses the legs on the far left and right sides and there isn't a stand in the center to support it, and I don't think the KS9000 is justified an extra $500 just for a center base.

I have found the 49 inch model for the Sony X800D on a Black Friday Week sale for $650 and thinking of jumping on it.

Mind you I'm upgrading from a 8 year old 32 inch Toshiba Regza 1080p set, which has 4 HDMI ports, low input lag, and is 4:4:4 Chroma capable.

I use my TV as a PC Monitor so my TV replacement also needs to to suffice as PC Monitor, and according to rtings the X800D seems to fufill every checkmark I want in a TV in terms of 4K HDR10 support, 4:4:4 Chroma, having relatively low input lag, and of course four HDMI ports.

This is my current setup

STUGl28.jpg

Mind you, I already own a PS4 Pro, so I just need the TV and a 4K HDMI cable for my PC and I'd be set.

I would have easily bought the KS8000 no questions considering it seems superior to the X800D, but if it wasn't for the legs the TV uses and instead had a central base like the X800D has this wouldn't even be an issue right now, and buying all new furniture isn't an option because again apartment living.

Y2Kev

Yeah I have to bring my measuring tape to the store too because I don't know if 65" would fit on my TV Stand!

Madness

Someone tell me what to do

edit: here is my existing tv LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-CW46T9FW-46-1080p-60Hz-Class-LCD-HDTV/22227244#about-item

It's 46", not 40".

As we are a gaming forum, I will say go KS8000. You will have a size and 4K television that will give you amazing gaming and picture quality for years. OLED is the future, but right now, you are paying for something you will have little use for. A smaller size, and worse input lag for gaming. Don't get me wrong, the B6 is the superior picture television especially with 4K and HDR. The KS8000 is an edge lit LCD/LED. But if gaming is primary, the KS8000 is best. Who knows in 4 years, OLED will be more widespread, more manufacturers etc.

If you have yet to see a 4K set, you are in for a treat. Especially the OLED. Go tomorrow and view them. Also you are correct, LG always drops OLED prices around this time. They will definitely rise again, so if anyone wants an OLED for this year, now is the time.

Top Bottom