• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

louiedog

So do I need to know someone who is a Samsung employee to get this to work now?

My girlfriend works for a large tech company with zero relation to Samsung and she gets access to the Employee Pricing Program. If you think you or a friend/relative might work for a big enough company to qualify put in your email here to check.

Godcannon

Is it worth buying one of these TVs and sticking with standard consoles for now?

If it is 4k and has hdr/low input, Would it make any difference until I upgrade?

My girlfriend works for a large tech company with zero relation to Samsung and she gets access to the Employee Pricing Program. If you think you or a friend/relative might work for a big enough company to qualify put in your email here to check.

Yep the large majority of the accounts are from large companies whose EPP programs include Samsung. Mine includes the likes of Dell, HP, Ford, etc. but not Samsung although I found a guy with an account and used it in exchange for a $15 gift card. I got a 60" KS8000 for $854+tax. Definitely can't beat that if you can find a person willing to let you use their account.

If you work for a large company I would definitely check your EPP program and see if it includes Samsung's EPP.

louiedog

Yep the large majority of the accounts are from large companies whose EPP programs include Samsung. Mine includes the likes of Dell, HP, Ford, etc. but not Samsung although I found a guy with an account and used it in exchange for a $15 gift card. I got a 60" KS8000 for $854+tax. Definitely can't beat that if you can find a person willing to let you use their account.

If you work for a large company I would definitely check your EPP program and see if it includes Samsung's EPP.

We were surprised. We put in her email just as a test and it went through. It's not on her company's page that outlines this stuff, but then we found an email from not that many weeks ago saying it was added.

Is it worth buying one of these TVs and sticking with standard consoles for now?

If it is 4k and has hdr/low input, Would it make any difference until I upgrade?

Im still on my og ps4, and would of got a pro if it had a uhd drive, but from what i have read, some games have hdr support like tlou, infamous second son, and first light.

meanspartan

Askin again cuz new page lol-

Just got back from target.

They had a samsung 49 inch for $477 on sale. It says "hdr premium"

Lg for $400, also 49 inch, "hdr pro"

Pricing seems too good to be true...these not true hdr maybe?

We were surprised. We put in her email just as a test and it went through. It's not on her company's page that outlines this stuff, but then we found an email from not that many weeks ago saying it was added.

Well, shucks.

Work for a large company but they don't participate in the EPP.

Godcannon

You'd get the HDR visual upgrade from supported titles like Uncharted 4, FFXV etc.

That I do know, which is quite a nice benefit, but how about just in general. I guess my question is Like are there any noticeable differences by just going from a 1080p TV to a 4k? Or is the only benefit going to have to be a game with an hdr patch or buying the pro/S?

Kyoufu

That I do know, which is quite a nice benefit, but how about just in general. I guess my question is Like are there any noticeable differences by just going from a 1080p TV to a 4k? Or is the only benefit going to have to be a game with an hdr patch or buying the pro/S?

That would depend on the TV you're getting but for example, my OLED TV is a visual upgrade on 1080p games simply due to perfect black levels and wide colour gamut.

Kyoufu

I know there's a thread for 4k titles for the ps4pro, but do you know if there's a list for hdr titles for the og ps4?

I don't know but every game that supports HDR on Pro will also support it on OG models.

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
FFXV

I'm probably missing a few here, but HDR is not Pro exclusive.

redhot_

Askin again cuz new page lol-

Just got back from target.

They had a samsung 49 inch for $477 on sale. It says "hdr premium"

Lg for $400, also 49 inch, "hdr pro"

Pricing seems too good to be true...these not true hdr maybe?

If the LG was UH6100 or UH6150 it won't be real 4K.

The LG UH6100 is an entry level 4k TV. It includes a less accurate pixel structure (RGBW) which means that although it has the correct number of pixels, it can't produce the same level of fine detail as other 4k TVs. Despite this, the picture quality is average. Motion is handled quite well and the smart platform works well.

Godcannon

That would depend on the TV you're getting but for example, my OLED TV is a visual upgrade on 1080p games simply due to perfect black levels and wide colour gamut.

Someone posted this earlier, and I'm extremely tempted to bite.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un55ku6290fxza/

Seems pretty good to me, and if I'll get a much better picture with what I currently have then I don't see how I can say no...I Maaaay just get a Pro or S as well but idk just yet.

thanks for the input, unless there is something horribly wrong with this TV that I'm missing, it looks like I'll be getting it.

n0razi

Just ordered a 55" KS8000 for $740 using the EPP deal. Coming from a 43" Vizio E series... HYPE!

What type of HDR media is available to play on the Pro besides BluRay? YouTube? Netflix? Is there even HDR enabled mkvs that can be played via Media Player?

I don't know but every game that supports HDR on Pro will also support it on OG models.

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
FFXV

I'm probably missing a few here, but HDR is not Pro exclusive.

Awesome man, thanks.

KeRaSh

Any idea if the LG 43UH620V is good for gaming? It's pretty cheap on amazon.de today (Cyber Monday deal).

It's 4K and supports HDR Pro but how is the input lag?

/edit: Also, is it a true RGP matrix or did they cheat with the RGBW structure?
/edit2: According to user reviews it only supports HDR 8-Bit, not 10-Bit... I guess I'll hold off. I'd rather get a good model later than cheap out now and miss out on some key features.

Just ordered a 55" KS8000 for $740 using the EPP deal. Coming from a 43" Vizio E series... HYPE!

What type of HDR media is available to play on the Pro besides BluRay? YouTube? Netflix? Is there even HDR enabled mkvs that can be played via Media Player?

Prepare to be blown away. While you are waiting for your tv to arrive, go to the uhd demo website and download some videos from the hdr section and put em on a usb stick/external hard drive. The site can be slow so I'd start downloading some videos now.

Any idea if the LG 43UH620V is good for gaming? It's pretty cheap on amazon.de today (Cyber Monday deal).

It's 4K and supports HDR Pro but how is the input lag?

/edit: Also, is it a true RGP matrix or did they cheat with the RGBW structure?
/edit2: According to user reviews it only supports HDR 8-Bit, not 10-Bit... I guess I'll hold off. I'd rather get a good model later than cheap out now and miss out on some key features.

Rtings.com. they most likely tested that tv.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone tell me what to do

edit: here is my existing tv LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-CW46T9FW-46-1080p-60Hz-Class-LCD-HDTV/22227244#about-item

It's 46", not 40".

Tried a quick google but it's unlikely this set will have been reviewed and had input lag measured. If that is your only concern, the simplest thing to do is buy the tv you have your eye on and try it out - if the input lag doesn't bother you then keep it. Everything else should be a noticeable step up from your current set. Although whether you can see the difference through tears of joy isn't certain.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 55 inch LG OLED is on sale but I am afraid of burn in. Also, would it be better to wait until next year and get the upgraded model?

Always better to wait but when next years models are this price, you'll be looking around the corner at 2018 models.. these are great sets and no reason not to jump in.

Image retention is much more controlled these days. The LGs have a 'cleaning cycle' they do if you leave the set in standby, to further protect from any burn in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does the lag feel?

Honestly, it feels just fine. I've only played Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, and InFamous in terms of action games, but I find it plenty responsive and far better than my previous TV, which was a pretty good set I bought in 2010, but apparently had upwards of 120ms in input lag!

I even hooked up my PC to the TV and it didn't feel particularly laggy at all.

chaosaeon

The EPP deal wouldn't work if you live in Canada would it ? I mean you could have it shipped to the border and then forward it, or pick it up, but then if there's anything wrong with it you're in for a nightmare. When TV prices go back down around February, is it to the same extent that it is now ? The ones on BH seem the lowest option for canada at $1375 all in for the 49" and $1665 for the 55" and it would suck if they went back up by then.

Got my PS4 Pro all hooked up and looks nice on my 55 inch 2-year old mid-tier Sony set. Sadly, did not buy 4k at the time since I don't collect Blu-ray and everyone was in disbelief we'd have 4k consoles.... Sigh.

Maybe I can convince my wife to try to flip it on Craigslist and upgrade to the KS8000....

Thanks. Checked there but couldn't find it. Is there a site that lists the different model numbers for different markets? Maybe it's been reviewed but under a different model number.

Im not sure about that, but there's a chance that the specific model you're talking about is renamed for other regions. Look at the bezel and stand of the tv, does it look like any of the tvs on rtings? Also check out a channel on YouTube called "calibration with darko" or something like that. Maybe he ran some test. Another option is to check avsforun.

I ordered a 65KS8500 and it will be here Wednesday. I'm trying to get my setup ready and decide if I should buy a PS4 Pro. I have a few questions.

1. Can the smart remote control the PS4? I've been reading how the included remote can control game consoles but I haven't seen anything specific to the PS4.

2. Since the TV has 4k Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube apps built in, I won't be missing any other 4k content besides games right? Meaning, the only content I'm missing would be HDR gaming on the PS4 and One S.

3. Overall, was this a smart purchase? I saw a 70 inch 4k Samsung for $1300 and another 65 inch for around a grand. The 8500 I bought was $1500 before tax. They all seem to support HDR so I'm trying to understand what's so special about the HDR on the 8500.

For those who own the Samsung KS8000/9000, can the TV be controlled in a more generic way, rather than using the smart remote? I need all my equipment to play nice with my Logitech Harmony remote so normal IR input is kind of important.

I am having a few second thoughts about which TV to get. I was looking to get the Samsung KS7000 (KS8000), which is £879. But then I saw I can either of these 2 TVs for £699:

Sony Bravia KD49XD8305BU
SAMSUNG UE49KU6670

I am thinking since I will no doubt need a sound bar, it may be worth getting a cheaper option.

Kuosi

For those who own the Samsung KS8000/9000, can the TV be controlled in a more generic way, rather than using the smart remote? I need all my equipment to play nice with my Logitech Harmony remote so normal IR input is kind of important.

At least my older js8500 works with Harmony, would be surprised if this years model doesn't

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am having a few second thoughts about which TV to get. I was looking to get the Samsung KS7000 (KS8000), which is £879. But then I saw I can either of these 2 TVs for £699:

Sony Bravia KD49XD8305BU
SAMSUNG UE49KU6670

I am thinking since I will no doubt need a sound bar, it may be worth getting a cheaper option.

How much you thinking to spend on a sound bar? I'm getting one free with my XD93 so will be looking to sell it.

What size ks7000 were you going for - 49 or 55? The Sony is supposed to be a slight step down but plenty of people still like it a lot. But if it was 49" Sony vs 55" ks7000 I'd pony up the extra for the increased size

TURBO1112

Bought a 4k set a few months back. No HDR10 unfortunately. I plan on buying another especially for the scorpio nnext year. My question is the prices going to be better next year and just wait. Or go ahead and splurge now? Just curious. Thanks

Symphonia

Banned
To those who are saying that Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have updated their apps on PS4 Pro to support 4K, you're wrong. I just tried all three, none of them list the 4K content that my Amazon and Netflix TV apps do.

DBT85

Bought a 4k set a few months back. No HDR10 unfortunately. I plan on buying another especially for the scorpio nnext year. My question is the prices going to be better next year and just wait. Or go ahead and splurge now? Just curious. Thanks

See the diagram posted further up the page, or on the last page.

They come out, go down in price throughout the year until they are not available, then new ones come out at the same price they did the year before. Eventually one set is just as good as another, but with 4k still being new and hdr on top everyone is making improvements every year which keeps the prices a bit higher.

So I was going to do an overview and comparison video between my KS8000 and the KU6290 to show at least for SDR content the quality of the TV as I had ordered one prior to the EPP deals. Unfortunately while the box and TV appeared to be in fantastic shape, when I opened and turned it on I was greeted with this.

30329116314_c5be2c79f0_k.jpg

So I was going to do an overview and comparison video between my KS8000 and the KU6290 to show at least for SDR content the quality of the TV as I had ordered one prior to the EPP deals. Unfortunately while the box and TV appeared to be in fantastic shape, when I opened and turned it on I was greeted with this.

Looks rough. I saw you post this on another thread and I cringed.

Looks rough. I saw you post this on another thread and I cringed.

I'll likely just ask for a refund, I'm kind of dissapointed I didn't get to do that comparison for the thread here though. I think people are being scared away from the 6290 when they really shouldn't be. Especially the budget minded people going "I can't get 4k that's good within my budget."

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, you can. I still haven't taken the time to figure out the Smart Remote.

If you were to ask, will you go with 55 lg b6 or 65" ks8000? $150 or cheaper for ks8000.

I'd rather have the bigger screen for a lower price personally. I still regret getting the 55" instead of the 65".

Plus, I think 2017 OLEDs have a chance to be a big upgrade from the current models.

Lady Gaia

Absolutely. The Harmony database already has an entry for it and everything works as expected. I use an IR flasher and had to find the receiver on the television, which isn't documented anywhere that I could find. Spoiler: it turns out to be the front of the power button tucked under the right side of the set.

The one behavior I haven't figured out how to defeat is the television's insistence on automatically switching inputs when a device connected to one of its HDMI ports is turned on. This will be solved when I finally update my AVR and rout everything to one input.

Top Bottom