• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Can someone on the EPP program for Samsung hook me up on a KS8000, 65 incher?

Will get you a free kideogame of your choice.

I was too chickenshit to ask, but seeing as this Gaffer has, well I am asking as well.

I have some Gears BC codes that I can give in return. For anyone who does have access anyone know the price for the 65inch KS9000 via the EPP program?

ZOONAMI

I'll likely just ask for a refund, I'm kind of dissapointed I didn't get to do that comparison for the thread here though. I think people are being scared away from the 6290 when they really shouldn't be. Especially the budget minded people going "I can't get 4k that's good within my budget."

I would also recommend the Hisense H8C. Slightly wider color gamut than the Samsung 6290/6300 and 10 bit panel. Excellent pq as well along with the Samsung. Both have very good contast ratios and get about the same level of brightness. H8C does have local dimming albeit a limited implementation.

Edit: wcg on Samsung 6300 and Hisense h8c Are nearly identical. And both are 10 bit panels?

Input lag is worse in the hisense but not bad, anecdotally I haven't had any input lag problems and haven't heard of anyone having problems.

Hisense also has 2 4k hdr inputs vs 1 on the samsung, which imo is a major advantage.

Samsung has a better smart system and native app support for hdr Netflix? As of now the h8c has native app 4k Netflix support but no hdr suppport in the smart app. The Hisense ui is very snappy though. If you are planning on getting an xb1s or ps4 pro you can stream hdr through the xb1s and I believe Sony is supposed to add hdr ps4 streaming support by the end of the year.

Both sets 55 inches under $500 is insane. The Samsung may have a bit better resale value though (although I hope Hisense brand and reputation continues to permeate and improve in the next few years to help with that). Either way if you hold on to a tv for more than a year or 2 resale isn't going to be great. Probably lucky to get $250 for either set 2 years from now.

Just ordered a 55" KS8000 for $740 using the EPP deal. Coming from a 43" Vizio E series... HYPE!

What type of HDR media is available to play on the Pro besides BluRay? YouTube? Netflix? Is there even HDR enabled mkvs that can be played via Media Player?

I'm coming from a 39" 1080p LG to a 55" KS8000 (also through EPP!). There will never be a tech jump as big as this for me.

And I thought coming from a 32" 720p LG was a great upgrade.

Think I am going to go to the Microcenter in Brooklyn after work and pick up the KS8000 55"...They have it for 899.99...I picked up an Sony 850D 55" yesterday from best buy for the same price but not sure if I'm really feeling the TV...it feels like it can't get bright and I like a nice bright picture. I also noticed the TV restarted like 2 times on me and the OS seems slow?

My only concern with the Samsung is the back panel separation, has this been a big deal for anyone who owns the TV? Does it cause any issues?

Think I am going to go to the Microcenter in Brooklyn after work and pick up the KS8000 55"...They have it for 899.99...I picked up an Sony 850D 55" yesterday from best buy for the same price but not sure if I'm really feeling the TV...it feels like it can't get bright and I like a nice bright picture. I also noticed the TV restarted like 2 times on me and the OS seems slow?

My only concern with the Samsung is the back panel separation, has this been a big deal for anyone who owns the TV? Does it cause any issues?

This also concerns me and it's the reason I want the KS9000. It's been discounted to $1999 on Samsung and other retailers but that's $500 outside my budget. I'm hoping to bugger some friends to see if their employer is part of Samsung's EPP and buy it through there. That seems like my only shot.

Crimson if you do go to the one in Brooklyn, mind finding out if they have the 65inch KS9000 and for how much? I'd drive out to Sunset to cop it for the right price.

Jake2by4

Saw the ks8000 at Microcenter for $899 too. Great deal but had no way to get over there.

This also concerns me and it's the reason I want the KS9000. It's been discounted to $1999 on Samsung and other retailers but that $500 outside my budget. I'm hoping to bugger some friends to see if there employer is part of Samsung's EPP and buy it through there. That seems like my only shot.

Crimson if you do go to the one in Brooklyn, mind finding out if they have the 65inch KS9000 and for how much? I'd drive out to Sunset to cop it for the right price.

Sure, I wouldn't mind...however I just checked the price and they only have one left in stock now LOL...so the chances of me going out there to get one is looking pretty slim right now :(

Nafai1123

Banned
Goddamn I got so excited when I saw this deal. 70" Vizio for 999 bucks on Bestbuy. But then I realized it was .com and not .ca :(

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-7...theater-display-black/5609000.p?skuId=5609000

The better Costco deal is the Vizio M65-D0 for $999. The M-Series, while still not on par with the SUHD Samsungs or OLEG LG's, does have full support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision and has local dimming which pretty much none of the cheaper HDR sets have.

I just picked one up this weekend and I'm very impressed. Checked out some Netflix HDR content and it looks fantastic. Yes, the Samsung/LG will look better, but it still looks really good and is pretty much the only TV with those features at that price point.

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
I posted this in the KS8000 thread as well.

Can someone recommend a 4K AVR to that will work well with a PS4 Pro and a 65 inch KS8000 without adding any input lag?

meanspartan

Because Target has it for $470, think I'm gonna go with a 50 inch version of the Samsung KU6300-

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

It's not perfect of course, but based on the many reviews I have read, it seems like the best bang for the buck. Biggest positive is it is great for gaming with low latency. Biggest negative is that it isn't "True" HDR. It supports HDR 10 but the TV's color gamut can't quite hit the full range to get all the benefits from it. From what I've read though, it is still much much better than SDR sets, so I should still be relatively impressed coming from my 40 inch 1080p lol. Oh and the upscaling is very good which is a nice plus, considering I don't have a UHD Blu Ray Player (thanks PS4 Pro) so I'll want my regular Blu Rays to look good on 4k.

Obviously I could spend hundreds more and get something much better, but I think this is the best all-around compromise, a happy medium where I get 4k and a taste of HDR goodness whilst not breaking the bank.

If anyone thinks I shouldn't, let me know why! :)

Picked up a Pro yesterday, so looking for a 4K TV to pair up with it. $1000 is probably my absolute max that I'm willing to pay. Been reading that the KS8000 is the popular pick which is around that range, but wondering if there is anything else that's close to it or if there are any deals floating around for that TV that I could just be missing. Been doing searches and I don't have a Samsung account to get the EPP.

Also, does anyone have the KS8000 in 49"? How's it been treating you? I currently have a 42" and I want a bump in size but wondering if the 49" would be a big enough bump for me.

I would also recommend the Hisense H8C. Slightly wider color gamut than the Samsung 6290/6300 and 10 bit panel. Excellent pq as well along with the Samsung. Both have very good contast ratios and get about the same level of brightness. H8C does have local dimming albeit a limited implementation.

Edit: wcg on Samsung 6300 and Hisense h8c Are nearly identical. And both are 10 bit panels?

Input lag is worse in the hisense but not bad, anecdotally I haven't had any input lag problems and haven't heard of anyone having problems.

Hisense also has 2 4k hdr inputs vs 1 on the samsung, which imo is a major advantage.

Samsung has a better smart system and native app support for hdr Netflix? As of now the h8c has native app 4k Netflix support but no hdr suppport in the smart app. The Hisense ui is very snappy though. If you are planning on getting an xb1s or ps4 pro you can stream hdr through the xb1s and I believe Sony is supposed to add hdr ps4 streaming support by the end of the year.

Both sets 55 inches under $500 is insane. The Samsung may have a bit better resale value though (although I hope Hisense brand and reputation continues to permeate and improve in the next few years to help with that). Either way if you hold on to a tv for more than a year or 2 resale isn't going to be great. Probably lucky to get $250 for either set 2 years from now.

The only reason I had the TV is because at the time of ordering it I hadn't known about the EPP deal (which I promptly took advantage of) So I grabbed the 6290 after doing extensive research for a proper TV for PC and console gaming cheap to use ad a stopover TV (I couldn't justify the cost for features due to the limitations on the TV's in general available at the time) . It arrived but I had also ordered the KS8000 at that point so I didn't even bother opening it as I no longer needed it. Of course later that nagging feeling about checking to see if it had been damaged came up and I checked it out. Good thing I didn't wait longer.

I had ordered it from PC Richard and its looks like UPS damaged it in transit. Just contacted PC Richard and they handled it immediately. Very professional and nice people, seems like pretty good customer service.

inner-G

Banned
Because Target has it for $470, think I'm gonna go with a 50 inch version of the Samsung KU6300-

It's not perfect of course, but based on the many reviews I have read, it seems like the best bang for the buck. Biggest positive is it is great for gaming with low latency. Biggest negative is that it isn't "True" HDR. It supports HDR 10 but the TV's color gamut can't quite hit the full range to get all the benefits from it. From what I've read though, it is still much much better than SDR sets, so I should still be relatively impressed coming from my 40 inch 1080p lol. Oh and the upscaling is very good which is a nice plus, considering I don't have a UHD Blu Ray Player (thanks PS4 Pro) so I'll want my regular Blu Rays to look good on 4k.

Obviously I could spend hundreds more and get something much better, but I think this is the best all-around compromise, a happy medium where I get 4k and a taste of HDR goodness whilst not breaking the bank.

I have the 6290 from Best Buy and I really like it. Looks way better than our old TV, low lag, good built-in apps

Lexxism

Picked up a Pro yesterday, so looking for a 4K TV to pair up with it. $1000 is probably my absolute max that I'm willing to pay. Been reading that the KS8000 is the popular pick which is around that range, but wondering if there is anything else that's close to it or if there are any deals floating around for that TV that I could just be missing. Been doing searches and I don't have a Samsung account to get the EPP.

Also, does anyone have the KS8000 in 49"? How's it been treating you? I currently have a 42" and I want a bump in size but wondering if the 49" would be a big enough bump for me.
Microcenter has the 55" for 899.99

The one behavior I haven't figured out how to defeat is the television's insistence on automatically switching inputs when a device connected to one of its HDMI ports is turned on. This will be solved when I finally update my AVR and rout everything to one input.
That sounds like typical HDMI-CEC behaviour.

meanspartan

I have the 6290 from Best Buy and I really like it. Looks way better than our old TV, low lag, good built-in apps

Yep, your screenshot of Ratchet earlier brought me back around to this one haha.

Ultimately if the lack of 100% complete HDR bugs me that much (and I doubt it will), in a few more years once the standard is totally settled I'll buy a new TV again, probably alongside a next-gen console. I think this will be an awesome jump for now though.

n0razi

For the guys trying to get in the EPP deal, send a PM to wf72431 at slickdeals, he hooked me up in exchange for a $5 Amazon GC

https://slickdeals.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=574757

Basically, someone with higher privileges needs to create a new EPP account for you and you order using that... invites dont work anymore

These are the prices I am seeing currently with EPP as of Nov 21

AGNEI5u.png

Zurick

Banned
Where can I find things like TV settings for the PS Pro?

on a budget so just got a Samsung UN40KU6300 and this is a whole new world to me.

meanspartan

Where can I find things like TV settings for the PS Pro?

on a budget so just got a Samsung UN40KU6300 and this is a whole new world to me.

I'm gonna buy that same set tonight too so seconding this question!

Anyone have "optimal" settings to put everything at?

Jarnet87

the 40 inch is the TV I am leaning on if I make a purchase in the next few weeks. It's a real solid price point and I don't have anything that will take advantage of HDR10 right now so it's a good TV that I can always move to another room down the line.

For the guys trying to get in the EPP deal, send a PM to wf72431 at slickdeals, he hooked me up in exchange for a $5 Amazon GC

Basically, someone with higher privileges needs to create a new EPP account for you and you order using that... invites dont work anymore

AGNEI5u.png

Goes without saying worth the attempt. God Damnit I really want to get the 65" set now for my folks. But they would probably be all we didn't need an upgrade etc.

AGNEI5u.png

hmmm

I kinda want that curved one. Hows the lag on that?

chaosaeon

Goes without saying worth the attempt. God Damnit I really want to get the 65" set now for my folks. But they would probably be all we didn't need an upgrade etc.

Again the EPP deal isn't possible if you're in Canada right ? Not without mail forwarding etc and taking the risk that there's something wrong with it and you now have to take a huge hit just to ship it back.

Geneijin

Someone tell me what to do
If you haven't bought a TV yet, get the LG OLED55B6P. The Samsung KS8000 is a nice TV, but it's an edge-lit display at the end of the day. Light bleed and haloing are potential concerns. If you watch subtitled movies or TV shows, heaven forbid they don't bother you too much. The KS8000 is also a VA panel, so expect greater loss of saturation in viewing angles off-axis. Not enough to bother many who sit centered, but it may be a concern when you have guests over in a large living room viewing video from the sides. The only major problems people have with an OLED are its lack of brightness compared to LED - but it don't matter when your blacks can reach down to 0.0005 nits - and input lag which YMMV. Image retention and Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) are also potential issues if you never owned an early Plasma TV before.

Someone tell me what to do

edit: here is my existing tv LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-CW46T9FW-46-1080p-60Hz-Class-LCD-HDTV/22227244#about-item

It's 46", not 40".

Personally I can't justify the OLED prices and I only got the KS8000 because of the EPP.

The standards are not set and I think generally new and important tech is like an HDMI revision, input Lag for OLED etc. is coming in the next two years. I went with the best bang for buck model with the KS8000 because I believe this is the first time we've really had 4k worth getting however I do plan to upgrade in the next two years provided they get it right with proper full 10 or 12 bit 4:4:4 after HDMI revision, reasonable pricing and solve the input lag issue (I'd also like higher refresh rate than 60 for input, but that's a long shot.

So my recommendation is to kind of get a stop gap model TV. But that's just how I feel about the current situation. Had the KS8000 not been 729 I wouldn't have justified it, and stuck with the 40" 6290 until everything's settled and evolved slightly more.

This isn't really a wait for the next best thing for me, it's more of the we've been straddling this line for the last couple years and are really closing to crossing over so it's good to wait now.

ZOONAMI

Are people in this thread actually buying TVs that don't have true HDR or am I missing something?

What is true HDR?

The problem is that HDR 10 and Dolby vision aren't certifications but just guidelines.

Very few tvs meet the 1000+ not brightness spec for hdr10 and I don't know if any meet the 4000+ spec for DV.

Hdr does not require a specified wcg either, so a set that doesn't meet the uhd premium spec of 90% of dci p3 still have hdr.

There are dolby vision sets that have a worse color gamut rating than a hisense h8c. Hdr does not require a wcg rating from an unrelated certification.

Hdr10 is supposed to be 10 not and Dolby vision 12 bit, but an 8 bit panel using frc arguably achieved roughly the same results.

There is no true hdr.

meanspartan

Are people in this thread actually buying TVs that don't have true HDR or am I missing something?

It comes down to balancing costs for me. A set like the Samsung KU6300 is good quality, 50 inches, very low input lag, and under $500.

While it doesn't get the full HDR experience, it does do a lot better than SDR, as this review discusses-

"Once again, the KU6300 doesn’t offer the same full range of 4K high dynamic technology as its 2016 SUHD cousins with their compatibility to HDR10 standards. This means that the TV doesn’t deliver the peak luminance of 1100 nits or more and same Wide Color Gamut as those top-shelf 4K HDR TV models do. Furthermore, its color coverage doesn’t offer quite the same realistic richness we’ve seen in models like the KS9500 2016 HDR television. However, the KU6300, like the KU6500, does come with HDR Premium capacity and this does offer up a level of dynamic range that’s at least comparable to high dynamic range as we’ve seen it in some 2015 4K TV models with this technology. It’s not the best in HDR that you’ll find in the KU6300 but the TV still delivers a range of contrast that’s better than what you’ll find in the vast majority of SDR 4K TVs."

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ku6300-rev...-un60ku6300-un55ku6300-un50ku6300-un40ku6300/

Might I beat myself up for this down the road? Maaaybe, but then I tend to buy new TVs every 3-4 years. Not the end of the world and this still seems like it is giving me a great picture per dollar. Ya, I know, if I spend $300-400 more I can get something much better. But that will always be the case.

I ordered on EPP on Friday evening and it still hasn't shipped yet. Any idea how long it takes them to get out of "Preparing Order for Shipment" status?

Top Bottom