• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigLee74

I’m not a fan of these ‘campaign’ reviews. The game as a whole is much MUCH larger than the campaign, which has often been regarded as throw away filler.

I will spend hundreds of hours with this, 5 of which will be playing the campaign. To throw around scores like 4 and 5 out of 10 is quite misleading.

Are these same sites gonna come back and review MP, or zombies, or the game as an overall package?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m not a fan of these ‘campaign’ reviews. The game as a whole is much MUCH larger than the campaign, which has often been regarded as throw away filler.

I will spend hundreds of hours with this, 5 of which will be playing the campaign. To throw around scores like 4 and 5 out of 10 is quite misleading.

Are these same sites gonna come back and review MP, or zombies, or the game as an overall package?
On the flip side there actually are people out there only interested in the campaign as they used to be much longer and over the years provided many memorable moments

Giving this campaign a 4 is very fitting to let those people know what they are getting into

BigLee74

On the flip side there actually are people out there only interested in the campaign as they used to be much longer and over the years provided many memorable moments

Giving this campaign a 4 is very fitting to let those people know what they are getting into
So review the game as a whole, write a bit about the campaign, then conclude at the end whether it’s worth it just for the campaign or not.

How many other games have just a part of the overall package reviewed and scored?

Are these 4/10 and 5/10 reviews fed in metacritic reviews for the full game itself?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So review the game as a whole, write a bit about the campaign, then conclude at the end whether it’s worth it just for the campaign or not.

How many other games have just a part of the overall package reviewed and scored?

Are these 4/10 and 5/10 reviews fed in metacritic reviews for the full game itself?
I am pretty sure the campaigns have always been reviewed and yeah those numbers should be fed into MC for the full game as its part of the full game.

This stuff wasn't much of an issue when the campaigns were actually decent

As long as they produce a campaign and still charge full price they 100% deserve getting destroyed for efforts like this imo

BigLee74

I am pretty sure the campaigns have always been reviewed and yeah those numbers should be fed into MC for the full game as its part of the full game.

This stuff wasn't much of an issue when the campaigns were actually decent

As long as they produce a campaign and still charge full price they 100% deserve getting destroyed for efforts like this imo

Not that I’m defending a lazy campaign, but I don’t agree at all with giving the full game a score based solely on the campaign - especially when its not even the main component of the game!

Edit: I am making myself sound like a filthy little cod whore 😂

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not that I’m defending a lazy campaign, but I don’t agree at all with giving the full game a score based solely on the campaign - especially when its not even the main component of the game!
I get what you're saying but for the very few people that actually just enjoy campaigns I think its nice they can have reviews based on just that

I wonder if sites like IGN will revisit the MP side

Let's hope the multiplayer is good.
The beta felt good outside of bad spawns when they said they were looking into

daninthemix

I think the IGN review was kind.

If I was charged with reviewing the campaign I'd give it 3 words and 2/10 - fuck this game.

Forth

Neophyte
The last time I touch COD was on my PS4 about six years ago.
I now own a Series X would it be worth jumping in and playing the new campaigns and MP?
I always had a good time with it before.

Why not play all the old games or Warzone?
Warzone is trash, exactly why it's free; just not comparable with regular mp.

I now own a Series X would it be worth jumping in and playing the new campaigns and MP?

Get cold war, it's a full package, good campaign, good mp, fantastic zombies; it's regularly on sale as well.

Last edited:
I wonder if sites like IGN will revisit the MP side
Yes, Last year they reviewed SP, MP, and Warzone (2.0) separately. Just like last year, Warzone comes out in early Dec so it is it's own separate thing not being released at launch (Nov 10th).

This year I am 100% sure they will review Zombies separately because whether you go in solo or co-op, it is a mission based shooter w/extraction, no PVP, and has its own story and lore behind it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The face you make when you put out DLC as full priced content and you know it's still going to sell millions.

74SopfsZqRMd8M3fzB2hSH-650-80.jpg.webp

BouncyFrag

In 2024 the older CoD games will be on gamepass too which would be an ideal way to sample them. I’m kinda looking forward to that.

Last edited:
The Multiplayer of this game will be great judging from the beta a couple of weeks back, I really enjoyed it.
Finished the campaign last night and I thought the open world missions were poor ateast the first 2 the sniper one and one at the dam I enjoyed more, over all I would say it's a 6 out of 10 campaign. Unless they make some major adjustments to the Multiplayer though which is the main draw for me then this game is a winner so overall package I would rate a 7 or 8 depending on how good the zombie portion is.

Majormaxxx

Warzone is trash, exactly why it's free; just not comparable with regular mp.

Get cold war, it's a full package, good campaign, good mp, fantastic zombies; it's regularly on sale as well.
Cold war was not a good campaign. Something was off - pacing or story. Ww2 and infinite warfare were good. Plus cold war was almost 200gb

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ugh. At this rate it's going to be about the same time span that I buy the next COD. MW2 PS3/360 and waited until last year's MW2 to finally buy another one.

This year looks like the majority of the rest. A quick cash grab DLC expansion disguised in a 70USD piece of shit in the shape of a Coknee Island hot dog™

Are those same sites going to come back and re-review the game every time they drop a new p2w weapon variant that alters the multiplayer?

The review is titled “single player campaign review”, so I don’t see what the problem is.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Are those same sites going to come back and re-review the game every time they drop a new p2w weapon variant that alters the multiplayer?

The review is titled “single player campaign review”, so I don’t see what the problem is.
Now, you’re just being silly mentioning reviews for weapon drops 🙄

Honest question - how many other games with single player and multi player components get dissected and reviewed like this? Halo? Forza? Destiny?

FWIW - just finished the 4th mission, and definitely the best one yet. So far it’s not as bad as I had feared, and I’m even enjoying it more than MW2.

Tarnpanzer

Finished it on Veteran in about 7-8h. Game is pretty tense in these open world missions because of the lack of checkpoints.

But all in all it is one of the worst(if not the worst) CoD-campaign. And I played every mainline entry. But a 4/10 is still to low of a score. This would be trash tier, what this campaign is not. I would rate it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Finished it on Veteran in about 7-8h. Game is pretty tense in these open world missions because of the lack of checkpoints.

But all in all it is one of the worst(if not the worst) CoD-campaign. And I played every mainline entry. But a 4/10 is still to low of a score. This would be trash tier, what this campaign is not. I would rate it a 7/10.
Worse than black ops 3 and ghosts ? Yeesh 😬

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont care about SP mode, but MP better be stable. That beta was a trainwreck in crashes. Each time I played Estate map it froze.

TrebleShot

Just finished an hour ago or so,
First off had a bug where the final missions battle music wouldn’t stop playing even over the last cutscene which completely ruined its impact.

All in all awful. Pointless entry and I was shocked how it ended so suddenly almost like they ran out of time to actually finish it.

Towards the end the game feels half finished , I had low res textures in some scenes and the audio felt very basic compared to earlier missions.

Shite out of 10

So I've been playing Cold War MP the last few days (which is good fun!) and even though the campaign for this is a dumpster fire, I'm still very interested in MP, especially since it has a higher TTK than the last entry. Feel dirty for saying this but I'm still thinking of grabbing it just for MP on the 10th.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Just completed missions 5 and 6 in what can’t have been more than 10 minutes, with what was probably 5 seconds of shooting combined. Fuck me!

There was me thinking the first 4 missions weren’t that bad, then you get hit with that.

Cold War campaign was pretty good I thought, and the MP the best for years. So many good maps, plus 6v6 face off!

Since now MS owns them. It’s not gonna be like the same, welp, some old some old cod every year. Nah. Now they ain’t gonna stop bashing it. They will hope to now some how make this game sales flop after a few years bashing it more how cod not the same anymore and shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let's hope the multiplayer is good.
Aside from the beta crashing, the gameplay seemed fine. So here's hoping MP is good.

The maps are basically the same as MW 2 in 2009, so trashy Sledgehammer Games got a gimme they dont have to think of 15 new maps on their own. Just modernize the old maps for 2023 and tidy up the netcode and MP should be a slam dunk thumbs ups.

Valt7786

Just completed missions 5 and 6 in what can’t have been more than 10 minutes, with what was probably 5 seconds of shooting combined. Fuck me!

There was me thinking the first 4 missions weren’t that bad, then you get hit with that.

Cold War campaign was pretty good I thought, and the MP the best for years. So many good maps, plus 6v6 face off!
I hate when dev's do that. Don't count it as a fucking mission when it's that short or it's just a cutscene. Spiderman 2 is very guilty of this. Check progress and you're like "oh 10 missions left, cool!" *watch cutscene* "Get Chastised by MJ Complete!". WTF insomniac.

Zuzu

Just finished the MW3 campaign again on veteran difficulty. It was more fun the 2nd time. Veteran makes gunfights more engaging & encourages you to rely on & use the tools and equipment more regularly which makes the gameplay more fun & coheres well with the open combat missions. Being encouraged to use equipment and the sandbox in the open combat missions was fun.

nemiroff

Gold Member
is this true? i didnt see anyone posting it, if so thats pretty dumb ^^

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who went "wtf is this sh.." when trying to find a way to start the campaign without booting into MP for then to rebooting into SP. I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only one who searched the internet for a way around it (spoiler alert: There is none)..

Osthyvel

Fokk it, call me dirty and filthy, i buy these games for mp and the beta was better then the whole last years mp together. I will pick up this on friday.

A boy can hope that zombies will be good...

Last edited:
MW 2019 was one of the best Campaigns ever in CoD, MW II was decent not as good as MW 2019 and MWIII was only alright though multiplayer should be great this year judging by the beta. They should come to game pass eventually but if you can get them cheap enough on offer then go for them. Cold war was disappointing all round for me maybe worth it for you though. Vanguard crap, Black Ops 4 shit, and WW2 good but probably not worth spending money on now, just wait for the game pass release.

Top Bottom