• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I had no idea people actually cared about the campaigns so much until now

Dude, the game is £70 (£60 on PC). The whole fucking package should be amazing for that price. Just because the multiplayer is where people will spend the majority of their time doesn't give them a pass to make a shitty single player campaign.

If they're not going to bother putting any effort in, let me buy the MP for half the price. Even then, this game is literally just recycled maps from a game that came out 14 years ago.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
It is from treyarch!
Wat, I didn't know Treyarch is doing it (CW Zombies is one of my favorite side-modes of all time), you just made my gaming-day!

Nervous Romany Malco GIF by ABC Network

twilo99

Costco going aggressive lol

Microsoft must be happy with the situation tho

Dude, the game is £70 (£60 on PC). The whole fucking package should be amazing for that price. Just because the multiplayer is where people will spend the majority of their time doesn't give them a pass to make a shitty single player campaign.

If they're not going to bother putting any effort in, let me buy the MP for half the price. Even then, this game is literally just recycled maps from a game that came out 14 years ago.

I understand the frustration, I just happen to I enjoy the multiplayer aspect enough to outweigh any negatives, and I think I’m not alone.

I understand the frustration, I just happen to I enjoy the multiplayer aspect enough to outweigh any negatives, and I think I’m not alone.
It's only frustrating for me because I enjoy the multiplayer more than the SP in most cases. I just think it's bollocks that you still have to buy the full package at £60 if you just want to play MP.

Call of Duty is at that stage where it should sell the games bundled or separately. I'm sure those who only play the single player would probably agree too.

twilo99

It's only frustrating for me because I enjoy the multiplayer more than the SP in most cases. I just think it's bollocks that you still have to buy the full package at £60 if you just want to play MP.

Call of Duty is at that stage where it should sell the games bundled or separately. I'm sure those who only play the single player would probably agree too.

I always thought I’m paying for the multiplayer and the campaign is just some bonus lol but yes, they should have different SKUs so people can choose what they want, or just cancel the whole campaign thing as a yearly release and switch it to a 3 year cycle but do it properly for people who enjoy it.

You also have Warzone, which is technically multiplayer and it’s free…

DeaDPo0L84

I miss when CoD was the best at giving you a big budget single player game that actually tried to portray the horrors of war, you could tell the devs at that time actually cared about getting things right with respect to the war. Now it's just complete nonsense chasing Fortnite money with no actual heart put into it whatsoever.

Wat, I didn't know Treyarch is doing it (CW Zombies is one of my favorite side-modes of all time), you just made my gaming-day!

Nervous Romany Malco GIF by ABC Network

It's straight up a sequel zombies wise to CW, with a bit of a timeskip of course, the next treyarch game next year will probably fill in the gaps.

Well 53 on Opencritic is WAAAY lower than I was expecting. Hope this wakes them up a little, but I doubt it.

You know, people complain every year and buy it anyway, I was usually one of them for primarily the campaign. After Cold War I vowed that I'd but a CoD for full price, if at all. So I asked for MW2 for my birthday. But MW2 2022's campaign, though having more effort than this horse shit, sucked my ass.

So now, I'm officially done with this franchise, which sucks because the campaigns are usually pretty sick. So happy to not be buying this one.

Like, even Vanguard's abhorrently ahistorical campaign makes this on in MW3 looks like a sick fat fucking joke.

I really never thought they'd stoop this low. They'll have to really wow me with a campaign to get my money again.

I'll be on Insurgency, a game actually about modern warfare.
I'll probably buy it when it's cheap. But yeah, they probably should have just sold this as multiplayer only. This campaign looks like the biggest joke. No way in hell I pay anything other than bargain bin prices for this one.

twilo99

I have zero MWII guns that are leveled up.. I'm guessing it will be a bit rough playing against people who can use their MWII guns in multiplayer

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant wait for Rundown, Terminal and Invasion maps. So many good maps in MW2 2009.

The maps were also designed so that all playstyles could work well. whether youre a run and gun shot gunner or sniper, you could do well. Ok, some maps like Wasteland arent geared to shotties, but most maps can be played in different styles.

Now, you’re just being silly mentioning reviews for weapon drops 🙄

Honest question - how many other games with single player and multi player components get dissected and reviewed like this? Halo? Forza? Destiny?

FWIW - just finished the 4th mission, and definitely the best one yet. So far it’s not as bad as I had feared, and I’m even enjoying it more than MW2.
They do when they release separately like GTA5.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have zero MWII guns that are leveled up.. I'm guessing it will be a bit rough playing against people who can use their MWII guns in multiplayer

Eh you can dominate with almost any gun in cod. I have gold’d 95% of the guns in mw2 and like to unlock attachments as I go, starting from scratch every time. It made no difference to my score in 6v6. In Warzone and sweaty Search yes your loadout matters. But if you just playin hardpoint or kill confirmed or domination you can still easily win with low level weapons.

RyanEvans21

...Like last time?...Vanguard?
Vanguard didn't have open world zombies, it has two objective based maps, and I think one round based map.
Cold War is the one that had "open world" zombies with the outbreak mode, and Cold War is the best zombies game.

He doesn't know anything, he's just one of those that only care about the old confusing character based zombies; MWIII zombies so far looks nearly identical to CW zombies, which the old zombies players hate because it's not as tryhard and obscure and "muh main characters".

What we do know is that MWIII zombies is straight up a continuation of the dark aether zombies from CW and that weaver and the rest of requiem are dead (probably after the events of treyarch's own COD 2024 next year), but ravenov is back and maxis is probably still alive as well.
The dark aether enemies are back and so are the pack a punch and the perk machine, the mystery box, field upgrades and secrets and easter eggs, and there might even be a main quest.
The only thing that seems could be annoying is the time limit, but we'll see.

I Prefer the COD World At War! Plus it has awesome songs.

Last edited:
Was going to cave and buy this on Friday for the multiplayer. I came to my senses and bought Robocop instead. If I want to play COD then I'll go and play Cold War instead. I'll grab this on sale either at the end of the year or start of next.

Grechy34

Battlefield always felt like garbage to me

CoD isn't my kind of game, but the controls felt way better. Very snappy.

I just wonder when this TYPE of game just loses its luster or if it's timeless. Plenty of other types of games have fizzled out (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, etc)

CoD feels great cause they don't focus too much on realism but just snappy gunplay.

MrMephistoX

Was going to cave and buy this on Friday for the multiplayer. I came to my senses and bought Robocop instead. If I want to play COD then I'll go and play Cold War instead. I'll grab this on sale either at the end of the year or start of next.
Personally waiting until we figure out what MS is going to do with the back catalog: if this goes on Gamepass I’m never buying it. Is Warzone getting an update? I’m only a casual fan so that’s been enough for me any time I get the COD itch.

Justin9mm

So how bad is the shit show going from MW2 to MW3 as far as installation.

Should i just delete all my MW2 from my PS5 and start fresh with MW3? I'm going from physical disc MW2 to physical disc MW3.

M.W.

So how bad is the shit show going from MW2 to MW3 as far as installation.

Should i just delete all my MW2 from my PS5 and start fresh with MW3? I'm going from physical disc MW2 to physical disc MW3.

I think you need MW2 installed because this is technically DLC, hence no trophies.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I’m intrigued by all the people here praising the MP beta. Normally it’s the complete opposite with everyone (myself included) shitting on it. I was so jaded, I didn’t even bother with the beta. So it’s good?

Idc about the single player. I can play that on GamePass.

Justin9mm

I think you need MW2 installed because this is technically DLC, hence no trophies.

You realise it's being sold in stores as a physical standalone game. There is nowhere on the game that says it's DLC or it requires MW2. It also has a standalone campaign.

I'm only asking regarding ease of installation, not carrying over MW2 content, I assume that would be linked to your Call of Duty account.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m intrigued by all the people here praising the MP beta. Normally it’s the complete opposite with everyone (myself included) shitting on it. I was so jaded, I didn’t even bother with the beta. So it’s good?

Idc about the single player. I can play that on GamePass.
The beta was very solid though spawns needing looking into which Sledgehammer said they were doing with the beta feedback

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The beta was very solid though spawns needing looking into which Sledgehammer said they were doing with the beta feedback
Do you know in the feedback if Sledgehammer noticed the game crashing and they'll fix it? I never was able to complete one match on Estate map. Froze every time needing to dashboard out.

But what people keep forgetting, they are getting MW TWO multiplayer maps lol...like its MW3, where are the MW3 maps???

Gerdav

A heads up for anyone preparing for this there is a 108GB update for the COD HQ app out now on PS5 at least, I’m assuming it’s downloading the whole bloody thing again, and it’s downloading slowwwww, this should be taking 20-25 minutes maximum on my connection and it’s giving me a estimate of 90 minutes, and this is before the multiplayer and zombie pre load at 6pm (uk time) .

Friendly reminder traveling to New Zealand lets people play early for MP on Xbox and PC but Playstation players have to wait until midnight tomorrow night to play
Wait, I'm on PlayStation and I was planning on playing at 9:00 p.m. on Thursday because I'm in PST (Cali) & I'm going off that official chart they posted. I know you're out in Florida so are we saying the same thing because it's midnight for East Coast?

Top Bottom