• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: WWII Reveal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but I think it could be a controversy if the developers treat the era like a joke. Even things like a tactical nuke take on a completely different context. Things like clown wigs, and baguette melee weapons could become the opposite of cute - they could be seen as trivialization. The series doesn't have the maturity it once had.

So I have to think they will wrap a huge 'this has nothing to do with WWII in actuality', 'this is a simultation' disclaimer over the whole multplayer to justify the goofiness that rakes in so much microtransaction money.
Ehhh I expect angry posts on neogaf at max

Are we there yet?

sylvester-cat-cigarettes-coffee.gif

I hope they delve deep into the MP today.
I expect a single-player trailer, casual mentions of things to expect in the SP and MP and maybe a short gameplay demo of a single-player level. MP will come at E3 or another CODXP event around August.
Of course, but I think it could be a controversy if the developers treat the era like a joke. Even things like a tactical nuke take on a completely different context. Things like clown wigs, and baguette melee weapons could become the opposite of cute - they could be seen as trivialization. The series doesn't have the maturity it once had.

So I have to think they will wrap a huge 'this has nothing to do with WWII in actuality', 'this is a simultation' disclaimer over the whole multplayer to justify the goofiness that rakes in so much microtransaction money.
We definitely know there'll be Supply Drops and camos but I don't expect to see anything too over the top this go around. I wouldn't expect the clowns and gingerbread men, even Activision and Sledgehammer know better than that.

Kalentan

I feel like your thinking too deeply in it.

If they mess up the era in the SP, people will be angry.

If things aren't totally accurate in MP, no one is going to give a shit.

Alienous

lol Not usually, but it would be nice since COD is a MP-focused game and all.

And maybe they're so excited to show 'a return to boots-on-the-ground', and to get people the pre-order the game for the beta, that they'll give some insight to the changes they've made to multiplayer.

I'm sure they didn't hire a venue to just show a trailer.

Toa TAK

Banned
And maybe they're so excited to show 'a return to boots-on-the-ground', and to get people the pre-order the game for the beta, that they'll give some insight to the changes they've made to multiplayer.

How much do you want to bet they did?

SDCowboy

Agreed. After the horrendous reception of IW, I would think Activision would be anxious to show off the MP on this.

I wonder if they are going to use the correct Thompson in the game. All we have seen up till now is the gangster style variant.
I posted pretty much the exact same thing on another thread yesterday. While the 1928 Thompson "mobster" version was used in WW2, the M1A1 version is the most commonly associated with the war, and the version that I prefer personally.

Auctopus

I know it's just a video-game but considering the current political and social climate, trivialising the events of WW2 is something we could do without.

I've pre ordered the last few CODs digitally, full edition (with season pass), and really enjoyed all of them. I am neither hyped nor disinterested about this game, its just the annual COD - I'll buy it digitally on PS4, hope its decent, I'll play it, lose interest after a while, and stop playing after 4-6 months. I don't expect anything really that innovative or that new or different, but playing with a few friends on weekends is worth the $60-90. The only big question really is whether they will include a remaster of something like MW did with IW.

I only recently actually started the IW campaign, by comparison my character is nearing level 47 in multiplayer (usually 2-3 games a week; I hit prestige level 3 or 4 in BO3 so I played that a LOT more). I am absolutely loving the SP campaign in IW, it feels very much like a mashup of The Expanse and a prequel to Mass Effect.

I bought all 3 games at launch - BF1 and Titanfall 2 on PC, IW on PS4 - and what shocked me the most was Titanfall 2 is the game out of the 3 that has captured most of my play time. I really enjoy that game (1 game a day) whereas I've barely touched BF1, even though I really enjoyed it the first week I just find something about T2 very fun and fast.

soultron

Banned
Ye :(

But it is WW2 though.

Code:
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9c/2f/99/9c2f99b6c5361a2cd8596c26ed54d3e4.jpg[/IMG]

Women held combat roles in WW2, but yeah, we probably won't see that represented in this game.

I'd be pretty pumped if there was a Night Witches mission.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.seizethesky.com/nwitches/witches.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.nocgms.com/al/WWII-Colored-pic/07.jpg[/IMG]

Kalentan

The only big question really is whether they will include a remaster of something like MW did with IW.

If there was a remaster we would have heard or been leaked about it by now.

I hope they say "fuck it" and include them in the game. The backlash will be something.

It would be quite the step back. Every CoD since Ghosts has had female soldiers.

Well sort of.

Black Ops 3 had Specalist who were female but you couldn't change their gender.

Infinite Warfare is a bit different in that there is technically no female models in the MP but you can choose fully female voice for your character. The argument being made is that the suits are bulky enough that you couldn't tell the difference (since unlike BO3, the RIGS are suits and you never see their face.)

I personally think it would suck if they removed them now.

That would just further the myth of an innocent Wehrmacht just fighting for good ol traditional values and not the extermination of multiple peoples.

Why do you think that?

My point is that, while the actions are certainly heinous, not every soldier fought for the same villainous reason right? I keep reading conflicting information, but regardless it seems the ideology certainly came from the top down and the soldiers could have rejected it.

Not trying to further the myth, but humanize the effect of getting caught up in that mess of a political/cultural sphere.

If you have any good references/reading about this I'm all ears. I've been reading a lot about it recently.

If there was a remaster we would have heard or been leaked about it by now.

It would be quite the step back. Every CoD since Ghosts has had female soldiers.

Well sort of.

Black Ops 3 had Specalist who were female but you couldn't change their gender.

Infinite Warfare is a bit different in that there is technically no female models in the MP but you can choose fully female voice for your character. The argument being made is that the suits are bulky enough that you couldn't tell the difference (since unlike BO3, the RIGS are suits and you never see their face.)

I personally think it would suck if they removed them now.
They even put them in Modern Warfare Remastered.

Toa TAK

Banned
I can echo my personal sentiments on IW. Great campaign, if not one of the best, bah multiplayer and zombies.

Which is, funny enough, how I look at Advanced Warfare as well.

They even put them in Modern Warfare Remastered.

That was really cool of them to do, too.

Not just women, but different ethnic groups for each sex. I don't honestly expect they'll deliver on that here in WWII, but that'd be nice if they did.

Kalentan

Are review scores not bias towards singleplayer though? So they even factor in how good the multiplayer is in reviews?

IW was hated.

I mean the game still sold well and you can still find matches easily.

Hell it still outsells Battlefield 1 currently and that's not even with the MWR bundle which seems to have dropped off in sales.

If the game was so hated, it would be doing a lot worse. Hence why I mentioned the bias. Cause there's difference between the reality and what is being perceived.

Unless your going to argue that IW sells well because of the SP which has no evidence to support it.

You may not like it, but Infinite Warfare still has an active community. Maybe not as large as others, but still a sizable community.

SDCowboy

I mean the game still sold well and you can still find matches easily.

Hell it still outsells Battlefield 1 currently and that's not even with the MWR bundle which seems to have dropped off in sales.

If the game was so hated, it would be doing a lot worse. Hence why I mentioned the bias. Cause there's difference between the reality and what is being perceived.

Unless your going to argue that IW sells well because of the SP which has no evidence to support it.

COD= Sales. It doesn't matter if it's a good installment or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom