• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian city at odds over trick-or-treating age limit

cameron

What's a grade 13? Lol

Ontario had a grade 13.
The Ontario Academic Credit or OAC (French: Cours préuniversitaire de l'Ontario or CPO) was a fifth year of secondary school education that previously existed in the province of Ontario, Canada, designed for students preparing for post-secondary education. The OAC curriculum was codified by the Ontario Ministry of Education in Ontario Schools: Intermediate and Senior (OS:IS) and its revisions. The Ontario education system had five years of secondary education, known as Grade 13 from 1921 to 1988; grade 13 was replaced by OAC for students starting high school (grade 9) in 1984. OAC continued to act as a fifth year of secondary education until it was phased out in 2003.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Academic_Credit

What a waste of a year.

PillarEN

If you're in costume I don't really think age matters. And really it's not like you ever really bump into college kids or older trick or treating other than supporting their younger siblings.

Time curfews? Sure. Neighborhoods have a general time when it's sort of socially agreed upon that it's a little too late for the sake of general safety. Usually when suddenly you don't really see anymore trick or treaters around you it's time to call it it a day.

Kayhan

I just want 18-year old girls dressed like cheerleaders to show up at my door for some of that good old Mr. Goodbar.

Is that so bad?

If a 16 year old came to my door for candy dressed up as something I'd just give them candy. Hell, full adults could come and I'd still give them some candy as long as I still had enough for kids too. It's all in the spirit of the holiday.

There obviously shouldn't be a law about it, but I hate giving free candy to teens. I'd rather dump a job application in the bag. Free candy is supposed to be for children.

Man even if a full grown adult came to my house on Halloween I'd still give them candy. Buying a few bags of mini packs of skittles and starburst costs me very little, and my neighborhood ins't some trick or treat hot spot so its never like I'm about to run out.

Bakercat

I met my fiancé when I was 21 and we went trick or treating until last year when I was 24. I've only had one person say the, "arnt you a little old for this" which we replied not old enough to turn down free candy. I don't wanna do it anymore because I don't wanna walk around at night cold in late October begging for food lol. My fiancé still loves it though. But yeah, let the people giving out candy decide if you are to old to do this anymore.

Shit, when I was 13 I got grounded for something stupid right before Halloween and my mom didn't make an exception for the most holiest of candy days. So that kind of felt like my last "official" Halloween wasted (I felt like older then 13 was too old). So you can't really know someone's circumstances (first time in the country, they just look older, they were banned from ToTing for 5 years, etc). I'm not going to turn away kids or teens of any age, although preferably they should have a costume.
That said I tried trick or treating when I was 16 or 17, got really embarrassed after like 2 houses and went home. My costume was whack, a bedsheet and a pillow, I was "sleep."

Even when I was younger than that I was tall for my age, some dude once was like "Um aren't you a little old for trick or treating?" when I was 11. Like really we're gonna make laws about this? Sucks the fun out of the holiday.

And the dude wanted a fine and even more strict rules, smh.

Zach

EKdJ8Tg.png

There it is.

Wood Man

Over 16 is old for trick or treating, but there doesn't need to be a law.

Now I go trick or treating with my daughter and what I see that annoys me are older kids who aren't dressed up, or maybe just a pair of cat ears. That's lame.

Alavard

It used to be a thing in Ontario. It was abolished many years ago.

I graduated the year of the 'double cohort' (the year when the 13s and 12s graduated at the same time) in the first group of grade 12s. I guess I now officially feel old now that someone is calling that 'many' years ago, ouch.

I usually just attend a Halloween party every year and pig out on food. Regardless of society's gross trend of treating women differently then men and as less threatening I just would feel awkward at just about to be 26 going to trick or treat. I miss all the free candy T_T Though I have 2 little sisters and one doesn't like gummies or items with peanuts (my 2 favorite types of candies) so I still win in the end! Muah Ha Ha! :3

I knew someone from online who lived in Louisiana and he said his city didn't allow trick or treaters over the age of 14 and that his father wouldn't let him after 13. I went until about 20, was with my little sisters though but it's a fun night, if they want to make it 18 then fine but 16 just feels a bit too young.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I graduated the year of the 'double cohort' (the year when the 13s and 12s graduated at the same time) in the first group of grade 12s. I guess I now officially feel old now that someone is calling that 'many' years ago, ouch.

Me too! Boy, we all got fucked, eh? I was a 13, so I still had to get my 6 OAC credits.

Rhanitan

Me and my friends all went trick or treating in college. It was pretty fun and most people were friendly about it. I remember seeing other groups of college kids out there besides us too.
Making it illegal just seems ridiculous to me. The Time limit seems really extreme and would add stress to what is supposed to be a fun event and if people find it immoral to give teens free candy they can just turn them down.

gaugebozo

I was 11 and a lady asked me if I was too old to be trick or treating. Meanwhile, she had just given candy to my friends who were older than me. I'm not seeing how you enforce this against 14 year olds.

Cocaloch

It kinda was a religious holiday (All Hallows Eve), but the religious portion of it lost all meaning a long time ago.

Edit: You still see the religious aspect of it in other culture's celebrations, like Day of the Dead.

I mean more importantly it's Samhain.

blahness

Let kids still be kids. Why restrict them from goofing off with friends before the crushing weight of responsibility takes hold of the rest of their lives. At 16, they have very few chances left to just be a kid. Let them have it.

Pesmerga00

I agree with all the "If in costume you get candy" posts. I really don't care how old you are.

It's so depressing to buy a big haul of candy, only to have two kids show up.

Alucrid

Banned
yeah i don't see the big deal. you're out, what, a fun sized piece of candy? big deal. if they're in costume and going around why not give them something.

CazTGG

Are you in a costume?

Yes? Have a piece of candy. I don't care how old/young the treater is as long as they're acting in the spirit of All Hallows Eve.

Shit, I lived in Ontario and never knew that was a thing.

To be fair, even when my father was studying in high school, there was a discussion as to whether to remove Grade 13.

Media

My son is 6'2 and he just turned 14. He's in that 'I'm too cool' stage but he'd get harassed if he did even though he's under both age limits lol

Kas

I'm 21, and this is my last year. I look youngish and I'm going with my brother as Rick, from Rick and Morty.

He still can't figure out which Morty to be.

On topic, I can see a cutoff, but let people have fun. It's a great holiday to just go out have fun

I agree with all the "If in costume you get candy" posts. I really don't care how old you are.

It's so depressing to buy a big haul of candy, only to have two kids show up.

Yep, if you come to my door in costume, you get some candy.

Don't care if it's a 65 year old retiree or a 20 year old college student.

It is a completely innocent celebration of Halloween and fun and eccentricity in general.

If all the other days and occasions during the year that specifically try and grind those elements out aren't enough for you, well, I can't help you or give you any sympathy for that view.

kswiston

Ontario had a grade 13.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Academic_Credit

What a waste of a year.

Being legal in bars from day one in University was a nice trade off.

The academic transition was pretty rough on the first 5 or so years of college graduates coming out of the four year program. I graduated high school two years before they scrapped the OAC program. Professors used to constantly complain about how unprepared the Grade 12 grads were for university life as a whole. Victory laps became extremely common as well.

I assume that it is fine now that the students have been under that curriculum their entire academic careers. Well, other than grade entitlement, and the accompanying grade inflation.

My sister was 10 years younger, and my Mom put me in charge of looking after her while trick-or-treating after i hit 16. I decided to dress up as well because it was fun and we doubled the candy input.

Metalmarc

I just kinda felt too old for that stuff at the age of 13, mind you in britain it wasnt as commericlaised as it is now, plus I wasn't even into Halloween, you know, you feel too to cool at that age for something silly like Halloween.

The typical British way is usually, turn off all the lights at home and pretend no ones home, don't answer the door lol, which i find is a bit mean lol.

Also in Britain at least where I grew up it was customary to give money not candy, so the usual response was "sorry no change", lol us Brits are stingy buggers, you tell that to modern kids and they look at you stupid, think they actually want sweets, tell ya we are getting more like America every day.

Now I'm an adult, I love Halloween, and I like seeing Kids dressed up, I will give them Sweets, but I admit I think I am aged biased (its kind of weird getting a Chav at the door age 15 or something with a broken voice asking trick or treat)

JABEE

I feel like this problem really takes care of itself. Giving candy to a few teenagers isn't going to hurt the holiday either.

JABEE

You shouldn't be able to go caroling after the age of 17. Fuck you and your figgy pudding, freeloaders.

Link1110

Man even if a full grown adult came to my house on Halloween I'd still give them candy. Buying a few bags of mini packs of skittles and starburst costs me very little, and my neighborhood ins't some trick or treat hot spot so its never like I'm about to run out.
If a full grown adult ever trick or treated at my place I'd probably give them candy out of admiration of the balls it would take a full grown adult to trick or treat

I stopped Trick-Or-Treating in 6th grade, so age 11 I think. That said I think an age limit is a ridiculous idea. If someone handing out candies decides they don't want to give an older teen something then they can just decide that themselves.

Spenny

So weird. I've never even considered age while handing out candy at Halloween. Just take this candy off my hands so I don't gorge it.

Top Bottom