• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian city at odds over trick-or-treating age limit

Drain You

Side note, its sad how trick or treating has decliined over the years. We haven't gotten one person th last two years. Even with our porch lights ons. Couple years ago they tried to post pown halloween due to snow, shame.

PillarEN

There should be a civilized way for people who do not want to participate in it, to not participate and not fear retaliation.

People just don't answer the door or leave a bowl of candy outside. Never heard of people having their homes damaged over angry kids. I mean I grew up in good places so I don't know, but seems strange that kids wouldn't just quickly rush to the next spot and instead waste their time ruining someones home.

Side note, its sad how trick or treating has decliined over the years. We haven't gotten one person th last two years. Even with our porch lights ons. Couple years ago they tried to post pown halloween due to snow, shame.

You say sad, I say excellent. I can use the decline as the excuse for a huge candy stash.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember doing a trick or treat run at about 14, and we felt like much-too-old bandits abusing a system meant for kids to get candy that we would eat in between smoking blunts and breaking things in the alley.

Not that I'm saying there should be an age-limit... but if there were, 16 is very clearly a comfortable distance from ruining any legitimate childhood fun.

Sorian

Banned
If someone shows up to the house in costume and says trick or treat, they can have candy. Don't care if they are 5 or 50. This doesn't seem worth a hassle.

Chuckie

I'd be in favor of parents exercising some discretion about Halloween. If the kid is too young to understand what's going on, don't take him trick or treating. If he's too old, maybe sit him down and explain it.

I made a Halloween rant a bunch of years ago. Every now and again I like to repost it because why the hell not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126709

I somehow imagine the children in your village like this

cult-children.jpg

I'm of the opinion that any law that is unenforceable is a waste of everyone's time, but this is a pretty absurd level of pointlessness. If a grown ass man wants to go and bring shame and dishonor to their family by asking strangers for candy, then by god let them.

_Ryo_

I have known people in their 30's who have gone trick or treating. Also, last year my much younger sister, who has a lot of anxiety would not do it unless I went with her.

I went trick or treating at 21. I had a blast. I'd do it again at 27 if friends said they wanted to.

I bet you have great costumes! There used to be a couple that was obviously into cosplay who would bring their little kid around and I always looked forward to what they were wearing, but I haven't seen them the past couple of years.

The mayor is an idiot. Now the kids/young adults over 16 who would have spent their night putting on a costume to go trick or treating will instead dress up to go to a Halloween party where they will drink lots of alcohol and possibly engage in unprotected sex.

Saganator

The best part of Trick or Treating is going to the neighborhoods that really get into it and still try to scare you while you walk from house to house.

This is how I spent the final few years of celebrating Halloween. When kids start showing up, we'd stuff our clothes with newspapers, put on a mask, hit on a patio chair and then randomly scare the shit out of people walking by. Once the things started to slow down, we'd go out and trick or treat, since we were on the tail end of the night, a lot of the time people would just empty their candy bowls into our bag.

jstripes

Banned

Neighbourhoods can age too.

When I was a kid the neighbourhood I lived in was full of kids. By the time I'd moved out of that area, all the other people my age had grown up and moved out too, and their parents generally stayed put. House prices had skyrocketed, so young couples looking to start a family just couldn't afford to move in when houses went up for sale. A few years ago the town even closed down the schools I went to because there weren't enough kids to keep them open. Now it's a neighbourhood full of old people, empty nesters, and rich, childless yuppies. The newer subdivisions are doing fine, though.

Top Bottom