• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom FY14 Plan: Heavily promote Lost Planet 3/MH4, expects next-gen costs to soar

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is the only developer comment I've heard that's expecting costs to go up substantially next gen. Maybe Panta Rhei is costing a lot of money to develop?

This is the only developer comment I've heard that's expecting costs to go up substantially next gen. Maybe Panta Rhei is costing a lot of money to develop?
Right, others will just use UE4 or CryEngine 3 etc.
MTframework was great, they should try to sell the engine instead of just using it in-house.

TheExodu5

Banned
Costs do not need to soar. Not everyone game needs to push visual boundaries at 30fps and 720p. Up the resolution, output at 60fps, increase the image quality...you can use that power to make life easier and decrease your development costs in many cases. You don't need fancy graphics to sell a game.

I keep forgetting Lost Planet 3 is a game that is still coming out.

Good luck with all this Capcom. Sounds like they're prepping everyone for future poor profits.

Biker19

Banned
Lost Planet 3? LMAO. Good luck with that. As well as with "Remember Me."

They should've put more of their effort towards something like "Deep Down" instead.

Costs do not need to soar. Not everyone game needs to push visual boundaries at 30fps and 720p. Up the resolution, output at 60fps, increase the image quality...you can use that power to make life easier and decrease your development costs in many cases. You don't need fancy graphics to sell a game.

Hard to say when many of your games were always seen as graphics showcase, e.g. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter.

That isn't going to happen (for retail anyway) outside of really niche games from small, Japanese publishers.

Uuh what has a game engine performance to do with production tools chain run on developers pc?

You know the studio that dont expect a big raise of development cost are the studio that have been streamlining their production tools chain this gen. Just look at the video posted in the Killzone Shadowfall Raytracing thread. How dynamic lighting made production that much easier and faster.

It took them what 45 min to learn the tools and specify shaders for assets im not sure but the new production tools where multiple orders faster to work with cutting development time big time.

Or did i misread your complain?

Mesoian

If Lost Planet 3 plays remotely closely to how it was at PAXEast, that game is going to fail.

I don't often say this, but they should be trying to sweep that under the rug. This isn't a DMC issue where people's connection to past characters were keeping them from seeing hte great game beneith, Lost Planet 3 is genuinely terrible.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lost Planet 3 and blockbuster really shouldn't appear in the same sentence.

I hope there are no suicides when they see the numbers. :(

Seems like Capcom couldn't remember "Remember Me".

The Last of Us will do fine. Sony probably goes all in at the end of the month and start pushing it like crazy. Otherwise they fucked up big time, even Beyond had more marketing up to this point. And that game is still 5 months away. But I have confidence they will do something big soon.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hard to say when many of your games were always seen as graphics showcase, e.g. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter.

That isn't going to happen (for retail anyway) outside of really niche games from small, Japanese publishers.

That's the industry's problem, and it's going to bankrupt a lot of publishers this generation if they don't alter their approach to game development.

Crawl

So they arent even going to promote remember me?

Also someone needs to tell capcom there is zero hype for lost planet 3.

Astery

Dear Capcom, use your brain. LP3 will bomb at this point no matter what you do unless you start it over from square 1.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Next gen costs to soar? Wasn't GAF saying the opposite IIRC?
Depends on who you ask. The people saying they won't soar are people like Ubisoft who are already spending exorbitant amounts on each game with like 800 people on AC. Most devs are expecting rising costs.

Top Bottom