• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

Sakujou

Banned
i really would love to see a full fledged console-experience.

mh4u was the best mh experience so far. generations was a let down.

i hope switch-version aka mh5 will blow minds.

Well if the plan is to release MH5 this holiday I guess 3DS only is possible.

yup. same if they release it next holiday. 3DS base for MH is just too big. i do think they will bring it to switch though as the switch is marketed as the 3ds successor. a lot will depend on splatoon 2 numbers i guess as it is a game that also is built arund local wireless multiplayer

PS4 would be their gateway to the global market though. A company of Capcom's caliber would not focus on a single, declining market for growth. Sharing assets between Switch and PS4 makes too much sense to not execute tbh.

its not like MH sold like total crap on 3DS in the west. also they have a 2 million plus franchise in japan and no game reached that number for ps4 in japan. plus MH never did gain much traction on portable systems (okay tri sold a million in japan but portable 3 outsold that handily).

MH is a game where people meet up and play local wireless multiplayer in cafes or whatever. thats the setup and online is complementary to that

Asd202

its not like MH sold like total crap on 3DS in the west. also they have a 2 million plus franchise in japan and no game reached that number for ps4 in japan. plus MH never did gain much traction on portable systems (okay tri sold a million in japan but portable 3 outsold that handily).

MH is a game where people meet up and play local wireless multiplayer in cafes or whatever. thats the setup and online is complementary to that

Yeah but in the West those online co-op games on home consoles are hugely successful just look at Ghost Recon. Capcom obviously want MH to grow outside of Japan and PS4 is the best place to try and do that.

Yeah but in the West those online co-op games on home consoles are hugely successful just look at Ghost Recon. Capcom obviously want MH to grow outside of Japan and PS4 is the best place to try and do that.

as I said. a sales decline in japan would be inevitable. also they would need to upgrade the games graphics by a lot (which means a lot more investment). and they also would compete with similar games like darksouls or nioh.

i am sceptical that they can deliver on that too be honest if you factor in how deep down ended up.

Sidon

Can anyone explain me why they are so reluctant about releasing MH for the not-DS consoles? Is there a historical reason for that?

Can anyone explain me why they are so reluctant about releasing MH for the not-DS consoles? Is there a historical reason for that?
I assumed they had a partnership with Nintendo? I'm probably wrong, and it probably has more to do with how popular the 3DS and smarphones are in Japan. And the Vita never really took off.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The same reason why Neptunia series, Devil May Cry series and Dead or Alive series and many other never come to Nintendo consoles

Handheld console sell more, have a more co-op friendly environment, Nintendo likely helps with other factors to accommodate the franchise on their handheld system.

I assumed they had a partnership with Nintendo? I'm probably wrong, and it probably has more to do with how popular the 3DS and smarphones are in Japan. And the Vita never really took off.
I would assume it is a partnership. The series was on the dead ass Wii-U, even if it was a port.

SalvaPot

I loved 3U on the Wii U and in comparison 4U on the 3DS sucked, I couldn't grasp the controllers.

I am all in for a Switch release.

An HD game would significantly increase the length and cost of the development cycle.
The 3DS is several times over the most popular 8th gen system in Japan and gaming culture there greatly favours portable systems.

So pretty simple. Lowest cost + highest return = maximized profits.

Plus Nintendo has shown a unique interest in growing the brand in the west. The series was on PS2 and PSP prior to MH3. Sony wasn't interested in marketing it then. I don't think Nintendo has an exclusivity deal with Capcom, but they probably do hold some leverage there.

NewGame

Banned
I see we've gone back to the whole "real Monster Hunter games will never appear on non-Nintendo platforms" argument. Best not to assume.

From what I understand, Nintendo has been really helpful with Monster Hunter which includes marketing and publishing the recent games which Capcom has been really happy about.

There's also the problem of market share, Capcom are pretty... utilitarian these days so they're just going to shove their games on whatever has the most units out there.

Still, if Sony flashed the cash I'm sure Capcom wouldn't be hesitant to put it on the PS4 or Vita or whatever.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I hope whatever the case the next MH has a roster refresh ala Tri. Hell, get some in from the Online series (though I know that might be tricky). I just want to finally fight a Pokaradon. While the 3DS installments were great, I don't know how many more times I can fight a Rathalos/Gypceros/Khezu, etc.
I hope they keep the styles too, don't think I can go on without my Adept Long Sword.

Drewboy64

Definitely not gonna buy another MH on 3DS, haha. I really hope whatever MH they make for Switch is actually fresh and new, though. Updated graphics, maybe a change in some of the conventions (imagine open worlds with the climbing mechanics of BotW, for example)

In fact, if you basically replicated BotW and gave it multiplayer and monsters to fight, that'd be the sort of Monster Hunter I would want on Switch

gtj1092

An HD game would significantly increase the length and cost of the development cycle.
The 3DS is several times over the most popular 8th gen system in Japan and gaming culture there greatly favours portable systems.

So pretty simple. Lowest cost + highest return = maximized profits.

Plus Nintendo has shown a unique interest in growing the brand in the west. The series was on PS2 and PSP prior to MH3. Sony wasn't interested in marketing it then. I don't think Nintendo has an exclusivity deal with Capcom, but they probably do hold some leverage there.

Do you expect it to be sub hd on switch? With the game coming to switch there is really no reason for the series not to be multiptlaform.

Do you expect it to be sub hd on switch? With the game coming to switch there is really no reason for the series not to be multiptlaform.

The Switch version would have more of an environment that considers local co-op play foremost, even if online play is an option. Just because it's cheaper to do it on a handheld system doesn't mean it's the only reason.

also

Banned
Well if the plan is to release MH5 this holiday I guess 3DS only is possible.

No way. They take ~1 year between releases and I'm betting the next game is Switch XX and it also gets localized.

Ok, how about looking at other hunting games instead of bringing up an fps? Why did those tank? Why will MH suddenly sell to PS gamers?

Ok, how about looking at other hunting games instead of bringing up an fps? Why did those tank? Why will MH suddenly sell to PS gamers?

The problem is most other hunter games are single player. Dragon's Dogma is only a tad closer because of their Events function.

LordKano

By that logic (which isn't the problem at all), Capcom would have released Ace Attorney games on every platform, since they're doing HD versions of them anyway. They haven't. Nothing makes sense for this company, so it's the best to not expect anything from them.

Sure. I said as much in this thread earlier. Would make sense to go with a Switch/PS4 route in the future, once Capcom decides they've made all the money they can on the 3DS.

Only thing really stopping that would be if Nintendo decided to swing its dick around or something. Can't really see it though. Dragon Quest X and XI are multiplat on both Sony and Nintendo systems. Everyone involved seems fine with that decision.

redcrayon

The problem is most other hunter games are single player. Dragon's Dogma is only a tad closer because of their Events function.
Are they? Do we know how Toukiden or God Eater 2 did outside Japan?

Toukiden 2 is out next week and has online multiplayer, that will be a better benchmark for the western MH audience on PS4 than Ghost Recon.

Oregano

Whilst I think Monster Hunter being PS4-bound is likely I don't think 3DS's graphical capabilities was ever a real barrier to releasing a PS4 version.

Just from Capcom themselves they did HD ports of Monster Hunter Tri G, Resident Evil Revelations(coming to PS4), Ex Troopers(multiplat with PS3) and Ace Attorney.

If you expand it out to other publishers God Eater 2 and Toukiden were PSP games and they both got PS4 versions.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I was thinking Stories would have been great in HD, real missed opportunity there, Cap.

After 3U I really struggled with the portable versions. I missed X and I'll be missing XX too.

Jacce

Banned
Nintendo is the reason Monster Bunter took off in the west. They marketed 3 themselves.

If you think Nintendo isn't going to try to work out an exclusivity deal again you are crazy.

oti

Banned
Nintendo is the reason Monster Bunter took off in the west. They marketed 3 themselves.

If you think Nintendo isn't going to try to work out an exclusivity deal again you are crazy.

Of course they'll try. But why wouldn't Sony try too? I actually like the idea of a more casual MH on PS4 and traditional core MH on Switch. Winwin.

JPS Kai

I'm assuming you're referring to the likes of Phantasy Star Nova.

Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Dauntless, PSO2 (to a lesser extent).

I don't see what you're talking about.

I'm so tired of hearing the same old excuses and arguments

4 games on this system in what has been a long ass generation is enough

It should have been at the very least been a cross gen game

It still could be for all we know but it sucks they arent talking. I suppose its a marketing move

Jacce

Banned
Of course they'll try. But why wouldn't Sony try too? I actually like the idea of a more casual MH on PS4 and traditional core MH on Switch. Winwin.
Sony tried last gen with Vita too. Nintendo being vital to making Monster Hunter a success in USA is not something Capcom will ignore.

Nintendo is going to try like hell to keep it exclusive.

Nintendo also has the upper hand. They have the only single viable handheld on the market. Monster Hunter would be a failure as a PS4 exclusive. It has to have a 3DS/Switch release to stay relevant in Japan as it is a handheld centric title.

openrob

Considering that it also came out for Wii U i think it's pretty obvious that it will eventually come.

...But when?

Love all the leaning on old arguments and crystal ball theories with regards to Monster Hunter

Its like its stuck in this cage where it can only sell 3-4 million in japan forever and ever and ever

Its worked for 10 years and yet Capcom still loves to talk about how they are always struggling financially. Maybe try to push some boundaries?

No risks means no rewards for these guys and while I love the series im getting irritated with the mantra that change is impossible for them

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
I can't see them actually spending the funds to create a monster hunter experience for the switch from the ground up in HD. I think what will happen is that the games will continually be made for the 3DS and that the switch will get HD ports from it, probably a couple months after the 3DS version has been released as well, to maximise on people buying both versions.

What will be interesting though is if, when this happens, the 3DS and switch versions will be able to communicate and play with each other? I assume the hardware will be similar enough to allow it.

Jawmuncher

I definitely can see them squeezing out one more 3DS MH. I'd think if a switch one was soon, they'd have announced it already.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I can't see them actually spending the funds to create a monster hunter experience for the switch from the ground up in HD. I think what will happen is that the games will continually be made for the 3DS and that the switch will get HD ports from it, probably a couple months after the 3DS version has been released as well, to maximise on people buying both versions.

What will be interesting though is if, when this happens, the 3DS and switch versions will be able to communicate and play with each other? I assume the hardware will be similar enough to allow it.

They can't do that for too long it's not like the active 3DS version buying userbase will be there forever. eventually they'll have to make the jump ala CoD etc

Eolz

OP sounds likely yeah, XX this year, and 5 announced at TGS for next year.

I don't see this remaining nintendo exclusive if they actually make HD versions from scratch.

Might as well port it to ps4 and pc or something .

If it's a 3ds "HD" port I guess it's different.

First PS4 mention took longer than usual :p

Sony isn't trying since they took it for granted, fucked up with P3rd HD, and are now focusing on western appeal.
They know that they'll get automatically big japanese games support without having to make deals like last gen, and don't have an handheld to push or even support anymore.

Dragon's Dogma was partly trying a MonHun for western audiences. MHF is going to be on every platform as usual, and Capcom can't really afford doing a special spinoff just for PS4 at that point without any guarantees (unlike Nintendo helping with marketing, and a lot more in the past for example).

Edit: oh Oregano...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Especially considering it looks like MHXX is gonna bomb.

I dont know if i would call selling 2m on a system entering its 7th year with more or less a GotY type release a bomb.

Thats still alot of money for Capcom that will be invested in their next projects - including MH 5/MH Switch. Milking the 3DS base once more because its over makes sense, while they wait with MH Switch until after Nintendo has release Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash and co. - the userbase will be much higher a couple months in.

Oregano

I dont know if i would call selling 2m on a system entering its 7th year with more or less a GotY type release a bomb.

Thats still alot of money for Capcom that will be invested in their next projects - including MH 5/MH Switch. Milking the 3DS base once more because its over makes sense, while they wait with MH Switch until after Nintendo has release Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash and co. - the userbase will be much higher a couple months in.

It doesn't look like they're getting 2 million though. It's going to be below expectations by a good chunk.

Top Bottom