• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It doesn't look like they're getting 2 million though. It's going to be below expectations by a good chunk.

It doesnt really matter - it will make them money while they are preparing everyone to double dip on a Switch release later this year.

A MHXX 3DS/Switch March release would have made them less money than 3DS version in March and Switch/International version later this year.

Cerbero

Yeah sorry but no Capcom, the moment that i put down pokemon sun i was officially done with the 3DS, i can't stand that system anymore.

It doesnt really matter - it will make them money while they are preparing everyone to double dip on a Switch release later this year.

A MHXX 3DS/Switch March release would have made them less money than 3DS version in March and Switch/International version later this year.

This bread and butter franchise is capable of so much more and yet here we are playing the 4th 3DS game

nubbe

Monster Hunter is moving to Ps4. I said.

oQLEAZJ.gif

Eolz

WiiU level maybe a bit better graphics , 720p at 60fps. What do you think ? It seems possible to do here right ?

Not for XX (3DS port, like 3U on WiiU could have looked better), but 5 should likely be around that yeah.
Although I'm doubtful about the 60fps if we're talking undocked.

Tigress

i own all mh games released on the 3ds/psp but i've been holding back from jumping into it because of the lack of a second analog (even though i've heard multiple times it's not an issue at all, but i'm not a smart person), so i'm totally in on this as soon as it hits switch

Yeah. I will not play a monster hunter without a second analogue. Granted I've only played one (monster hunter freedom unite I think? The psp one?). But I found it too annoying to play wih one joystick and the thing at made it fun playable was when some one said I could remap controls on the vita so was able to put camera controls on the second joystick.

I know supposedly you can hold the controls differently to make up but I'm not going to make my hands all uncomfortable to play it. I'll just enjoy the one I have that I found a work around.

Also, monster hunter and Pokemon would have to come to the switch for me to consider it.

Malio

I don't enjoy it on a small ass, shit graphic handheld...stop cheaping out, and bring it back to the big screen.

NewGame

Banned
Like the majority here, I can't go back to 3ds lol.

I can understand being apathetic towards playing on an original 3DS but I just played a 4 player online session with my NEW 3DS XL and it was fine.

The thing that the Switch will dominate is the idea that you can play the game as a portable and then as a home console, for those who can remember 3U and Tri playing on a traditional console is quite comfortable.

I just hope they get the UI right and the controller options perfect.

I'm just hoping they don't take a step back, which is something they always do weirdly enough like with namable rooms, private messages, being able to buy everything for Gunner ammo, being able to mass cook food, not having broken end game meta where everyone uses the same thing etc

Hellraider

You act like Fifa and others don´t exist. Also Monster Hunter don´t sell on homeconsoles.

Monhun doesn't need whataboutism to defend itself. Saying that Monster Hunter asset wise is the same as it was in PS2, and its production values in general, is completely ignorant. AAA games would kill to have half as good animations and half the small details that are scattered inside the game. There are a million other things besides raw resolution and grass textures.

It's a pity people keep repeating the "It's still 240p therefore it's the same as it was on the PS2" rhetoric.

The game is obviously coming to switch the question is how soon. I think they would be smart to get an upgraded port this year followed by a main release next year when the user base is a decent size.

The PS4 version is interesting. Considering how they've treated the franchise previously I can see falcon being happy targeting slightly lower level graphics on the switch than the PS4. Are they willing to spend the extra to put out a PS4 version? Would they just release a straight port where MH would be a very unimpressive looking PS4 game? I've got no idea but it's hard to ignore that huge user base considering they want to expand into the west.

I wouldn't be surprised to see switch only but I'm thinking switch/PS4 is likely.

Mergesort

You act like Fifa and others don´t exist. Also Monster Hunter don´t sell on homeconsoles.

Uhm, I don't really care about Fifa. My brother is one of those people, buying the newest Fifa etc. I don't know why people do that.
Monster Hunter doesn't sell on home consoles, is that the reason why they have to look and control like shit? I don't care for the platform, but they should have used the vita for the mobile platform and brought it next gen consoles and PC. Of course it didn't sell well on consoles(or not as much as mobile), because the console choice was poor.
I hope to get a more decent Monster Hunter on the switch soon.

NewGame

Banned
Do you just look at graphics? Saying MonHun is the same since PS2 is ridiculous.

To be fair the game has progressed in a very linear fashion with mostly incremental improvements, just when they invented 3D fighting with underwater verticality they take it away.

Some of the animations and monster designs are literal PS2 legacy stuff (Die Khezu die) and the interface, is pretty much the same throughout.

All that aside; don't fix what isn't broken! I've fought Rathian thousands of times over multiple games- she never gets old and is testimony to the games wonderful core concept.

Yay, perfect time to release a Switch/Vita version of the next game!

... :(

Seriously though, if they're thinking about finally upgrading the assets, I know Vita is dead in the west and slowing down in Japan but it's still got a 5.5m userbase and Capcom saw what MonHun did to PSP. It'd certainly easily pass 1m on the console on its home turf, imo.

But it won't happen. Not while Nintendo are throwing all these financial incentives at Capcom. And it's for that reason I suspect a PS4 release won't happen, regardless of them wanting to chase whatever western audience they think is there.

Mergesort

Monhun doesn't need whataboutism to defend itself. Saying that Monster Hunter asset wise is the same as it was in PS2, and its production values in general, is completely ignorant. AAA games would kill to have half as good animations and half the small details that are scattered inside the game. There are a million other things besides raw resolution and grass textures.

It's a pity people keep repeating the "It's still 240p therefore it's the same as it was on the PS2" rhetoric.

A game like Monster Hunter deserves better than this! And as many would agree comparing it to a PS2 game with crippled controls is not that far from reality. Have you only owned nintendo platforms?

Yay, perfect time to release a Switch/Vita version of the next game!

... :(

Seriously though, if they're thinking about finally upgrading the assets, I know Vita is dead in the west and slowing down in Japan but it's still got a 5.5m userbase and Capcom saw what MonHun did to PSP. It'd certainly easily pass 1m on the console on its home turf, imo.

But it won't happen. Not while Nintendo are throwing all these financial incentives at Capcom. And it's for that reason I suspect a PS4 release won't happen, regardless of them wanting to chase whatever western audience they think is there.

If the vita was going to receive a MH game it wouldn't be at the end of 2017 when the console is all but dead. The switch is looking likely to pick up a lot of the vita audience and is going to be he dominant console in Japan going forward. It's not worth it to split the user base with a dying platform.

I'm also not convinced that a game releasing at the end of this year or next year would sell a million on the vita let alone easily.

lyrick

3DS has this
so, stop being full of it

nfqEvYz.png

I only play MonHun with this guy attached, the ergonomic boost it adds makes Monster Hunter on 3DS viable.

After 3 localized releases on 3DS, and maybe a fourth incoming? I'm ready to buy MonHun on the Switch.

redcrayon

What the fuck does that even mean Capcom? We've been playing it on 3DS for years now. Show the new guy some love...
Monster Hunter XX has just come out in Japan, and will invariably be the focus of the MH community there for the summer. While MH on Switch seems inevitable, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it before September at the absolute earliest. It doesn't help them to put MH on a system with an install base of under a million in Japan when the 3DS is the market leader.

I'm a massive Fire Emblem fan but I'm skipping Echoes because I cannot go back to squinting at that tiny ass screen anymore.

Same. Personally, after playing vita, I've always had an issue going back to that 3ds screen. Feels like someone took a gob of Vaseline and smeared it on the display.

I can understand being apathetic towards playing on an original 3DS but I just played a 4 player online session with my NEW 3DS XL and it was fine.

The thing that the Switch will dominate is the idea that you can play the game as a portable and then as a home console, for those who can remember 3U and Tri playing on a traditional console is quite comfortable.

I just hope they get the UI right and the controller options perfect.

I'm just hoping they don't take a step back, which is something they always do weirdly enough like with namable rooms, private messages, being able to buy everything for Gunner ammo, being able to mass cook food, not having broken end game meta where everyone uses the same thing etc

Yeah, 3U was pretty good. I still play it on the Wii U from time to time. Personally, I don't dig the system (3ds) all that much in general, it's got some great games, but I just don't like looking at that display. My wife and son still enjoy theirs though. Wife just started Ocarina of Time for the first time.

If the vita was going to receive a MH game it wouldn't be at the end of 2017 when the console is all but dead. The switch is looking likely to pick up a lot of the vita audience and is going to be he dominant console in Japan going forward. It's not worth it to split the user base with a dying platform.

I'm also not convinced that a game releasing at the end of this year or next year would sell a million on the vita let alone easily.

I mean, that's pretty much what I said in my post lol? Minus the part about disagreeing on whether it'd sell a million Vita. If Vita was going to receive a MonHun game it wouldn't be at all while Nintendo are offering exclusive advertising.

People have been waiting for a non-3DS MonHun for a while. It'd sell well anywhere with enough of a userbase; in the same way that releasing late-in-life 3DS games such as Dragon Quest are going to do just fine too.

Oregano

I mean, that's pretty much what I said in my post lol? Minus the part about disagreeing on whether it'd sell a million Vita. If Vita was going to receive a MonHun game it wouldn't be at all while Nintendo are offering exclusive advertising.

People have been waiting for a non-3DS MonHun for a while. It'd sell well anywhere with enough of a userbase; in the same way that releasing late-in-life 3DS games such as Dragon Quest are going to do just fine too.

Wait, you don't honestly believe that "Nintendo bought exclusivity 3 4 5 years" BS do you?

Capcom has focused on 3DS because it's mutually beneficial but they could have changed it at any point.

Top Bottom