• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom teases new PS4 game

onionfrog

But god, what I wouldn't give for a current-gen Mega Man/X/Legends game. What I wouldn't give.
I feel you bro.

If they announced a new Mega Man game I'd buy a PS4 for it!
Once the game had actually come out, so that I'd know it hadn't been cancelled half way through development. :p

Kyoufu

If they make a DMC5, should it be a sequel to DMC2?

Capcom has made it clear that DMC2 never happened and since it's set so far into the future of the DMC timeline that they can make a game set before its events and continue pretending it doesn't exist.

I feel you bro.

If they announced a new Mega Man game I'd buy a PS4 for it!
Once the game had actually come out, so that I'd know it hadn't been cancelled half way through development. :p

Haha yeah, I hear you. If I didn't already have a PS4
(which I almost never use)
, I'd buy one for a new Mega Man game alone - even if it was digital-only. :(

Astral Dog

No, DMC2 doesnt exist :p
they are not going to do that because it would be more inconsistent, Dahbomb would be mad, well,Dante is not going to have the same personality, it would need to reference a game that nobody liked,, including characters., and it was not a part of the franchise until late in development. also, it happens "far in the future"

Its best to forget about it.just imagine Dante battled some demons and got out of there.

Sorry about the shitty joke

Dahbomb

I would be OK with Capcom making a DMC game after DMC2 if:

*They make a pre-DMC2 game that has some serious ramifications on Dante as a character and the world itself to explain some of the stuff in DMC2. DMC5 could potentially be that game.

*Reboot DMC2 heavily.

A DMC game after DMC2 brings a few interesting things into the mix:

*Possible old man Dante, maybe even one of his offsprings.

*A game where Dante may actually die and he passes the torch to someone else.

Right now whatever DMC game they make we know that Dante will survive by the end of it because of DMC2. A post DMC2 DMC game wouldn't have that restriction.

BadWolf

Don't see the point in killing off Dante, easily one of the most iconic characters in games in general.

And if they want to pass the torch on to someone might as well make it Nero, they already came up with a fantastic combat system for him.

Dahbomb

I am not saying they have to kill him off, I am saying they can make a story for him where he is on the verge of death or in a battle for his life and you are on the edge of your seat because you don't know if he will come out alive. Right now Capcom can't do that because DMC2 exists so you know that no matter what happens, Dante will come out scotch free.

Lulubop

Isn't Dante extremely powerful in 2? Storywise. Like he makes one of Sparda's rivals look like a complete joke? I guess it'd be interesting to see what they would do.

But this game is not Devil May Care. My money is on SF5, especially since I fully expect some kinda tease at Capcom cup.

BadWolf

I am not saying they have to kill him off, I am saying they can make a story for him where he is on the verge of death or in a battle for his life and you are on the edge of your seat because you don't know if he will come out alive. Right now Capcom can't do that because DMC2 exists so you know that no matter what happens, Dante will come out scotch free.

I will know no matter what since there is no way they will kill him off to begin with.

He is pretty much the Ryu of character action games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dragons Dogma 2...

*yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

...Online

*awwwwwwwwwww :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

It should be a proper reboot, unlike Ninja theory's version. Japanesy, over the top, and with reimagined versions of all the original DMC franchise characters, Lady, Trish, Vergil ect. Hell they can even put in Kyrie and Nero somehwere if they want. The story in DMC at present goes nowhere and makes no sense, Dante having to be constantly reimagined(how does a guy who is serious but occasionally makes wisecracks in DMC1 turn into a middle aged loser who's a pervert and can't decide if he wants to be 13 or 43 in DMC4? and how does DMC2 Dante fit in with that?). DMC3 was the only one with a good story...its almost a requirement to go to the beginning.

If DMC 3 had been the start of the series, the series would have had a better life outside of nonsense.

TreIII

With the way Capcom has put so much stress on "New IP" lately, I'm almost willing to bet it's going to be something brand new.

Though, if I'm wrong, and it's a new Onimusha or DMC made in-house, I'll certainly be there.

It should be a proper reboot, unlike Ninja theory's version. Japanesy, over the top, and with reimagined versions of all the original DMC franchise characters, Lady, Trish, Vergil ect. Hell they can even put in Kyrie and Nero somehwere if they want. The story in DMC at present goes nowhere and makes no sense, Dante having to be constantly reimagined(how does a guy who is serious but occasionally makes wisecracks in DMC1 turn into a middle aged loser who's a pervert and can't decide if he wants to be 13 or 43 in DMC4? and how does DMC2 Dante fit in with that?). DMC3 was the only one with a good story...its almost a requirement to go to the beginning.

If DMC 3 had been the start of the series, the series would have had a better life outside of nonsense.

So, pretty much like how Sengoku BASARA 4 was a "prequel reboot in a different universe, but still had the exact same characters/characterizations/history"?

Assuming KobaP (who is the producer of both BASARA and DMC) is involved, I'd almost expect such a thing for a future DMC.

Astral Dog

Another reboot?
Nah, they already did that with DmC, it would be even more of a mess.
Fuck it, just bring back Vergil and Mundus. throw in some angels too.

Dahbomb

Isn't Dante extremely powerful in 2? Storywise. Like he makes one of Sparda's rivals look like a complete joke? I guess it'd be interesting to see what they would do.
Dante is extremely powerful in 4 as well. Nothing in that universe can stand up to Dante or even make him sweat. DMC3 and DMC1 were the only times Dante's mettle was tested repeatedly (hell he lost fights in both of them).

Dante has basically become Superman with no Kryptonite. In DMC2 if somehow you manage to get him to low life his DT turns into Sparda's (aka the DDT) and he becomes much, much stronger able to take out bosses in seconds. So 99% of the time he isn't even fighting at max potential and why would he?

Astral Dog

Can we agree all games feel different?
for one reason or another,
DMC 1 was made by Kamiya.
DMC 2 was another game before changing to Devil May Cry.
DMC 3 was a prequel, but also kinda a reboot by another team.
DMC4 was made to attract new fans with a new protagonist.
DmC is the proper "reboot", wich was first a fucking prequel, or an alternate universe, i dont know.

Its not the fault of the developers either, there is no consistency, consistency would be a DmC 2,, there is not enough of a foundation to make another reboot imo, without messing some things up.

I liked the story/tone of DMC 3 and 4,i just want more of that, DMC 5 needs to be more serious but thats expected,is not a question of if but how.

Edit: I will just add, i think all DMC games feel different, but they give something of their own to the series, they are all great, except for DMC 2,but it had that Dante design,.
DMC 5 is going to be different to 4 and 3, gameplay,tone, story, whatever it is, i just want Itsuno' s team to give another shot to the series, if he has ideas, without many restrictions., do something they like.

And sorry about that shitty joke, Dahbomb.

Dante is extremely powerful in 4 as well. Nothing in that universe can stand up to Dante or even make him sweat. DMC3 and DMC1 were the only times Dante's mettle was tested repeatedly (hell he lost fights in both of them).

Dante has basically become Superman with no Kryptonite. In DMC2 if somehow you manage to get him to low life his DT turns into Sparda's (aka the DDT) and he becomes much, much stronger able to take out bosses in seconds. So 99% of the time he isn't even fighting at max potential and why would he?

I think the way you make Dante's story interesting anyway isn't so much a threat on his life as much as it's forcing him to make difficult choices (given that the underlying theme of the story is supposedly his generally-hidden emotions). Make him save people (or fail to save them); make him fight people he loves; et cetera. Serious threats on his life can (and had better fucking) come from game design rather than from story stuff.

I think one of the worst mistakes game designers can make is thinking that games should be designed around answering Burning Lore Questions rather than around improving even further on the previous game's feeling and depth of play.

It's kinda like how Silent Hill 2 is a great horror game even though there's like zero threat on the protagonist's life from basically any enemy in the game.

Nose Master

So, it's going to be Resident Evil 7?

How many times to they have to shit on his grave for people to give up on Mega Man? There will never be another good Mega Man.

Mentok

Banned
I know there's no chance in hell of it happening, but I'd love for a MonHun game using the fighting/class type system from Dragon's Dogma....again, no chance in hell, but it feels good to dream.

I would be OK with Capcom making a DMC game after DMC2 if:

*They make a pre-DMC2 game that has some serious ramifications on Dante as a character and the world itself to explain some of the stuff in DMC2. DMC5 could potentially be that game.

*Reboot DMC2 heavily.

Then just retcon DMC 2 officially. Other than our friend Yoshi-chan storming Capcom HQ with the fury of a hundred screeching demons, there is nothing to lose by casting DMC 2 out of the canon besides a few story tidbits that Capcom will never capitalize on anyway. I just can't see the point in devoting DMC 5 and 6 (5 being the set up and 6 the remake) to the purpose of fixing the general fuckery that is DMC 2.

DMC 4, for all of it's forced melodrama and the fact that Kyrie had less personality than a block of wood, set up a lot of more interesting things and if you read translations of the concept art excerpts you'd know they still had a lot more interesting ideas they hadn't implemented yet (Dante losing control of his Devil Trigger, Nero's true Devil form, etc). There is so many places they can go other than trying to fix what wasn't even supposed to be a DMC game. Make it dark, have Dante lose control, explore the origins of Nero... all that is fine. Leave Dumary Island, Lucia, Arius, demon helicopters and tanks, stock enemies, and everything that DMC 2 had out of it. Nothing is gained by bringing that stuff back.

Lng0004

Obviously Team ICO handed their pet project over to Capcom. TLG!!! BELIEVE!

New Onimusha would be awesome though. Love me some lush background instead of the usual dark and gritty.

Yuterald

DMC2 has its merits, namely:

-Introduced wall-running which later became integrated into DMC3's Trickster Style.
-Introduced the much appreciated Mission Select Screen.
-Game's got a giant-face boss or two. Bonus points.
-Contains one of the best, if not best Goddess of Time Statue music tracks.
-Dante rides into Hell at the very end of the game and inadvertently arrives in the best PS2 RPG; SMT: Nocturne.

That's all I'll give it though.

Seyavesh

DMC2 has its merits, namely:

-Introduced wall-running which later became integrated into DMC3's Trickster Style.
-Introduced the much appreciated Mission Select Screen.
-Game's got a giant-face boss or two. Bonus points.
-Contains one of the best, if not best Goddess of Time Statue music tracks.
-Dante rides into Hell at the very end of the game and inadvertently arrives in the best PS2 RPG; SMT: Nocturne.

That's all I'll give it though.

it introduced rebellion, does that count

also it's the only game where trish is like actually playable

Cyriades

Breath of Fire!

breathof.jpg

Every time Capcom suggests they will show something new I get my hopes up for DMC5 and it's never that. Not gonna stop me from making the same mistake again though.

BadWolf

How about Capcom just officially says DMC2 isn't real and makes a new game called Devil May Cry 2

Yeah because that won't confuse anyone lol.

DMC5 should be fine, I'm sure most won't care about any retcons as long as the game is made by Itsuno and co.

Raonak

Banned
If capcom were smart, they would've greenlit a Dino Crisis reboot as soon as they caught wind of Jurrassic World.

Dahbomb

How about Capcom just officially says DMC2 isn't real and makes a new game called Devil May Cry 2
That would cause massive confusion.

Is it a sequel to DmC? Is it a sequel to DMC1? Is it a remake of DMC2? Is it a sequel to DMC4?

DMC5 is the only thing that makes sense. Either that or "Devil May Cry: Insert Random Subtitle".

Top Bottom