• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Wow! They really don't like it, I think this is a bit unfair to be that way towards this game as different groups have different takes on how they want to portray the source material. If you don't like it fine state your point and review it based on the quality and not how it doesn't meet you specific tastes. I should have my copy by tomorrow and will be jumping right into it. Glad so many others are enjoying it.

Colin's point of view in that video was so underdeveloped and trite it can be easily ignored, but Jeremy's thoughts were quite fleshed out, and it left me wondering if he was correct in what he was saying. He seemed credible.

Hell no haha the real game begins after the first Lord. It goes all up from there until the oh so great climax.

So that would be a yes to my question then, right? =P

Broke down and bought it at lunch today. Worse case scenario is its awful and I sell it for 20. I really like the demo and the footage of the full game I've seen on youtube, so it was a risk I felt was worth taking. I hope my next few posts in this thread aren't full of regret.

amrod

got my copy today in mail (preorder I forgot bout)... Now to figure out if I should open it or return it

Pikma

Banned
The game is, surprisingly, very good. The visuals are really outstanding, one of the best looking games on the system without a doubt, I just wish they had used the cutscenes artstyle with the gameplay as well.

KevinCow

Banned
Just finished it with 100%. Clocked in at just under 10 hours. I don't think that's too bad for this sort of game, though I wish there was a bit more replay value.

I think it was really good, and could easily be the framework for something great.

I actually kinda liked the story and how it was told through the three acts. Whereas LoS kinda did its own thing without much regard for the original Castlevania lore, this game actually uses the existing Castlevania lore really effectively. They basically combined CV1, 3, and SotN into a surprisingly concise story about the Belmonts and Dracula.

Though (SPOILERS):
Simon and Alucard kinda kill Dracula. Where does that leave LoS2? I guess they'll have to revive him somehow.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Though (SPOILERS):
Simon and Alucard kinda kill Dracula. Where does that leave LoS2? I guess they'll have to revive him somehow.

If anything like previous Castlevanias by finding his parts and using magic to resurrect him by one of his servants.

After about 1.5 hours, all I can wonder is if the game was made by Gameloft. It feels that generic. Controls are fine, framerate is improved over the demo, combat is quick and responsive, but the game itself screams BLAHHHHHHHHH. I hope my opinion on this changes later, but right now it just feels completely uninspired. The console game didn't feel at all like this.

scoot3r

Just beat the first boss I guess, I'm really digging it. After the demo I wasn't optimistic but kept my preorder. Glad I did.

After about 1.5 hours, all I can wonder is if the game was made by Gameloft. It feels that generic. Controls are fine, framerate is improved over the demo, combat is quick and responsive, but the game itself screams BLAHHHHHHHHH. I hope my opinion on this changes later, but right now it just feels completely uninspired. The console game didn't feel at all like this.

Ouch :(

Impressions for this game are all over the place. As much as I want to bite the sketchy demo and opposite impressions are telling me just wait for bargain bin.

I love this game. This is how Castlevania games should be. I don't miss the cartoonish/anime vibe the past handheld Castlevania games had. This game feels and looks serious. Esily the best Castlevania since SotN.

NateDrake

I love this game. This is how Castlevania games should be. I don't miss the cartoonish/anime vibe the past handheld Castlevania games had. This game feels and looks serious. Esily the best Castlevania since SotN.

I'm enjoying the game, also. I just wish it had a better soundtrack.

Adam Blue

Can't figure this one out. I love Castlevania, but this seems a bit too straight-forward. I'm just not feeling it. I'll keep trying though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just finished it with 100%. Clocked in at just under 10 hours. I don't think that's too bad for this sort of game, though I wish there was a bit more replay value.

I think it was really good, and could easily be the framework for something great.

I actually kinda liked the story and how it was told through the three acts. Whereas LoS kinda did its own thing without much regard for the original Castlevania lore, this game actually uses the existing Castlevania lore really effectively. They basically combined CV1, 3, and SotN into a surprisingly concise story about the Belmonts and Dracula.

Though (SPOILERS):

He self revives. Trevorcard implies Gabby's death wasn't a true death.

KevinCow

Banned
Don't really need to convince anyone. My oppinion of what this game spans multiple topics. No need to repeat myself so many times.

LoS series isn't really Castlevania to me.

If you think your hatred of the game is well-known enough that there's no need to elaborate, why even bother posting in this thread?

Do you think posting nothing but "Nope." adds anything of value to any sort of conversation?

And why do you think you're in a position to judge the game and tell people to skip it when you haven't even played it?

Maedhros

If you think your hatred of the game is well-known enough that there's no need to elaborate, why even bother posting in this thread?

Do you think posting nothing but "Nope." adds anything of value to any sort of conversation?

And why do you think you're in a position to judge the game and tell people to skip it when you haven't even played it?

It's the same case with image/gif-macros/responses, they are basically non-responses, but allowed here.

I'm giving people information about the game.

And this bullshit of not judging the game without playing doesn't really cuts on the era of Youtube, we have tons and tons of walkthroughs there, where people can base judgements on lots of things.

I bought the game at launch and I do not regret it one bit. I am enjoying this a lot more then I though I would. The final game is a much better build than the demo.

4 hours in and I think I'm done. I can't believe how fast my opinion changed on this. I guess it was "New portable CV! Yay!" which quickly turned into "This is not for me." I guess for pros, the cutscene character designs are pretty ace and the 3D effect looks pretty hot.

Holy shit, what a disappointment.

Liked LoS. Only played like 3 mins of the demo and I already liked what I saw. Downloading from the eShop now.

I still need to play the LoS DLC though.

Finished it yesterday. The final battle isn't hard but I like how epic it felt. Just got 73% so I guess I'm going at it again!

TentPole

Liked LoS. Only played like 3 mins of the demo and I already liked what I saw. Downloading from the eShop now.

I still need to play the LoS DLC though.

Please don't. Just youtube it. The 2nd pack is AWFUL!

Got past the first boss and some change. Really enjoying it. It feels a bit like older CV what with the non leveling stuff (think xp only unlocks new moves) and the darker atmosphere of LOS translates really well to 2D.

I'm of two minds on the boss checkpoint stuff. I like that it saves me some frustration but I also kind of miss that frustration in a way.

Good stuff.

If you have the willpower for it you can just select to go back to the last save from the start menu and it will take you back to the beginning of the fight. This is what I have been doing on hard and the fights are really tough, but in the good way. Such great boss design!

Grisby

Got past the first boss and some change. Really enjoying it. It feels a bit like older CV what with the non leveling stuff (think xp only unlocks new moves) and the darker atmosphere of LOS translates really well to 2D.

I'm of two minds on the boss checkpoint stuff. I like that it saves me some frustration but I also kind of miss that frustration in a way.

Good stuff.

Don't really need to convince anyone. My oppinion of what this game spans multiple topics. No need to repeat myself so many times.

A one worded response though against someone else's own opinion of the game? I don't agree with your assertions about Lords of Shadow, but I realize they're your assertions and I don't just say "nope you're wrong" because we all have subjective opinions here. If you don't feel like deconstructing someone's opinion and you just give a one word reply, it's kind of a waste of space and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. Which, I mean, that's your choice and it doesn't necessarily bother me, but the reasoning behind Kevin's post about your post isn't a mystery.

Honestly sometimes it feels like some of you guys have an agenda and just hang around to hate. I hate relegating anyone to that level, especially you since you seem incredibly level-headed and intelligent and I mostly enjoy your comments regardless of my own beliefs, but I think making one word posts with an aura of fact behind them, when it isn't a fact at all, makes it easy to understand how some could be annoyed by it.

This is a big reason why I seldom contribute anymore in movie threads over in off-topic, as much as I would like to.

Maedhros

No you're not. You're giving your opinion on a game you decided to hate before it came out.

I didn't hate LoS before release (basically was loving every new info they put out), I didn't hate this before release (loving the artwork and some info they were giving, but with caution this time, since I didn't liked what the company did with LoS). After the demo and the full gameplay video I decided the game wasn't for me and that I don't want this type of gameplay representing the series I like for more than 15 years.

BTW, this doesn't mean I don't want changes on the formula. Just saying this already because people usually think that If one can't accept the changes in one game, that means they don't want changes.

That's why so many have been banned for doing them then?

I think that's because people abuse them. People here just quote posts with other oppinions and don't say anything. They basically non-responses.

Played some more. I'm really liking it. It's a surprise for me. When I first saw this game announced, I wasn't sold at all. It wasn't even in my radar or my wanted list. I thought the demo was pretty good so I gave it a chance. I'm glad I did.

10hrs is a good length for it which is about the same as past IgaVania games. That was my biggest worry, the game length. If it was 5hrs or under, I would've skipped it.

I like how the enemies are from past games. This definitely feels more like Castlevania than Lords of Shadow.

I'm giving people information about the game.

Saying "nope" is providing people with information (I mean I guess it does reinforce what you said people already know)?

I think what he's saying is (and I agree), if people already know your well-documented thoughts on the game, what good is that simple, one-word response?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really digging this game. Sure, it has its flaws, but overall I'm having a really great time with it. I can't really see can someone justify a 4 score.

sfried

Is the 3D in this awful or are my eyes just going bad?

I dunno about you but the 3D looks good to me. You might have to turn down that slider.

The MonHunTriU demo though had very deep 3D, and often time I had found myself knocking it back a tad notch.

Mutt

Neo Member
I bought the game at launch and I do not regret it one bit. I am enjoying this a lot more then I though I would. The final game is a much better build than the demo.

Completely agree. MoF does not deserve IGN's review score. They probably didn't get moneyhat.

I have to admit I felt like I was rolling the die after playing the demo and putting in a pre-order right after that. The difference between the demo and the retail release is substantially different. I didn't care for the framerate, controls or the moon physics while double jumping but there was enough there to enjoy and I had a feeling the demo was an early build. A good example of when not to release a demo IMO.

The best 3D on the system. I find I stop to enjoy the scenery. Although I find there is a lot of ghosting. MoF seems to have the most from any 3DS game I have played. I don't think it is better than IGAvania's but it's a solid Castlevania entry that stands on it's own. I really love the design and the cel shaded animation in the cutscenes.

MarkusRJR

What's the overall sentiment on the game so far? Is there much of an improvement in terms of frame rate compared to the demo?
No issue with the 3D, other than the occasional ghosting in dark areas.
I think you're trying to say cross-talk. There isn't much "ghosting" with the 3DS's screens. Cross-talk is the major issue on the 3DS.

Great game so far!

Admittedly, I haven't made it too far in, but it surely looks and plays great ^_^

The atmosphere just fits a game involving Dracula. It's appropriately gothic and has a certain Eastern-European ambiance; quite reminds me of Bram Stokers' take on the lore, which I love. Can't wait to adventure further.

Cynar

Bought it and like it. Definitely recommend it if you liked lords of shadow or classic castlevania. So glad that anime look is gone for another game in the series. Simon's voice actor is quite good and he looks awesome.

sfried

I'm almost tempted to ask the OT to change the title of the thread to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT| Mirror of Hate due to the polarizing reviews.

I'm almost tempted to ask the OT to change the title of the thread to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT| Mirror of Hate due to the polarizing reviews.

How are a few bad ones and a lot of solid ones polarizing? I mean the scores could be a bit better overall, but it isn't polarizing and plenty of people are enjoying it.

just saying... :p

My comparison to a Gameloft title was unfair. I've played it a bit more, and while I didn't enjoy the opening setup and the combat initially felt one note, but that was due to not having learned any moves yet. I've beaten the first boss (cool fight) and leveled a bit and I'm liking it more and more. It could use a lot more depth in regards to magic etc, but I'm liking it. The combat is incredibly smooth and the platforming is equally nice. I don't feel like I'm playing a Castlevania title, though. At least not yet.

fernoca

Got the game, after #1. not been a big fan of 'Lords of Shadow' and #2. not knowing much about this one, other than it was a 3DS game and it looked nice in pictures. :p

So far, I'm enjoying the game. Seems like a nice mix of God of War and Castlevania...and it's 2D! Really glad I got it.

Top Bottom