• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

I have a really really really hard time believing any heat issue. it's a damn cable box that should be running 24/7.

Sorry COBAT , I can't take your side on this one. No way a little OC is worth any risk

viveks86

Pretty much, they need to really sort out this overheating problem, I see RROD2 coming up.

Whoa whoa! Let's not jump to conclusions yet. CBOAT hasn't confirmed if heating is the issue, has he? It could be any other stability or performance related problems, assuming there is a problem. Let's wait till we get more clear answers. :)

Massa

I have a really really really hard time believing any heat issue. it's a damn cable box that should be running 24/7.

Sorry COBAT , I can't take your side on this one. No way a little OC is worth any risk

Don't think COBAT said anything about heat issues.

Facism

I took his comment as meaning financial/commercial/ideological risk based on their decision to launch earlier than they were prepared to. I doubt we'll be seeing an issue like RROD. Microsoft couldn't be that lacking in technical development when it comes to the bone after that horror.

only if the non-gaming stuff uses the upclock speed. they can always go at a lower speed no?

i4avPZsb0ocgB.gif

I LOVE IT

I totally hope this becomes a thing, what with Microsoft goofing and then Sony blindsiding them like a butt :p

Artorias

Banned
Also, don't think the game will be free forever. My guess is 6 months past the launch window. After that, based on how it is received, they might stop giving it away.

It's a PS+ game. Taking a game out of the rotation and putting another one in is exactly how it operates.

It may stay in longer if they don't have many games to replace it with as they have done with Vita and the big IGC games, but I don't think anyone expects that game to just be free forever.

As long as you claim it though, you're good. For people that don't have a PS4 yet but have +, they can claim it from the website.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

I also doubt this, Xbox can't handle a second RROD either.

Also, CBOAT would have no way of knowing the resolution standard of an unreleased console. No one would really.

viveks86

I took his comment as meaning financial/commercial/ideological risk based on their decision to launch earlier than they were prepared to. I doubt we'll be seeing an issue like RROD. Microsoft couldn't be that lacking in technical development when it comes to the bone after that horror.

This is how I'm seeing it too. At least till CBOAT says otherwise or some other new piece of scandalous info drops from the cloud

viveks86

It's a PS+ game. Taking a game out of the rotation and putting another one in is exactly how it operates.

It may stay in longer if they don't have many games to replace it with as they have done with Vita and the big IGC games, but I don't think anyone expects that game to just be free forever.

As long as you claim it though, you're good. For people that don't have a PS4 yet but have +, they can claim it from the website.

Agreed. Was just putting it out there for people who might think Driveclub would be permanently free. Trust me, there are people who still don't fully understand how IGC works.

And yes, they do plan to keep it a lot longer than the normal rotation cycle. Sony has confirmed that.

I totally disagree. Next gen has to start somewhere otherwise we'll end up with current gen in high resolution. If sacrifices have to be made in earlier games then so be it. I want next gen effects not current gen effects.

But it's a racing game. At 60fps the gameplay is far more enjoyable than 30fps. And the developer even said we want it to look pretty and we're willing to sacrifice frame rate for it. I'm not down with that. Maybe a different style game yes, but not a racing game. Why do you think everyone is talking about how great forza looks and are dismissing drive club. I'm sure drive club can keep it's effects and still hit 60fps.

You're also giving half witted fanboys ammunition cause like you said, all the Xbox fanboys are using forza as an example of 1080/60 without even knowing wtf is really going on. I honestly think Drive Club devs can strike a "balance" if you will of effects and frame rate.

Slashlen

And you can still platinum it

That's not really a good indicator IMHO. There's no rules regarding how they decide what actions in a game get a trophy/achievement. For example, MS could set up KI so that you can get 1000/1000 with just Jago by not having any of the requirements be character-specific. The Driveclub trophies could all be win x races/win a type of race, or other things that could technically be done with a single car and track.

I hope the plus version is significant though, as it will likely be carrying a lot of the IGC on PS4 for a while. Sony would be smart to not cut it down too much.

Originally Posted by some brain cells will die after you read this

Also PS4 and X1 are closer than what people are leading on.

PS4= 14:4...14CUs for graphics and 4CUs for CPU function and an additional GPU CU reserved for OS. This leaves 13CUs or 1.3tflop for graphics and 500gflops for CPU function.

X1= 12+2:4... 12CUs @ 853mhz= 1.3tflop + 2 dormant CUs = 1.6tflop (Apps & OS offloaded by SPP GPU) and insider has confirmed 4CUs on CPU.

(MS has yet to reveal how many tflops gpgpu is)

1.6tf for gpu and 400gflops + 48ops for CPU. With 2 parallel render pipes for GPU and 2 parallel 4 core clusters for CPU. With the upclock it puts X1 slightly above PS4. With such paralism utilization of the system is nearly @ 100%.

PS4 is about 50% utilization as all the processing cores arnt split into parallel sets which increases core utilization and efficiency. After u hit a certain amount of cores for gpu and or CPU they start losing efficiency and therefore less utilization

X1= 14:4 @ 853mhz= 2+tf + 99%-UTI(HSA+) = 4+tflop + closed box = roughly around 8-10tflops realworld but still 4-5tf RAW and still headroom to upclock. all launch titles built around mono driver and dx11 tools.
(2+tf + closed box= 4-5tf) ps4 is 1.8tf + closed box= 3.6tf

2nd wave X1 games + stereo driver + dx11.2 tools= :)

angry+cat_bb4a31_3762288.gif

Even knowing it's a troll that was highly aggrevating to read:p especially the closed box bit :p

marvin83

Banned

I didn't see the word heat anywhere. Any upclock out of normal range automatically raises the chances of instability. I'm sure there's a 2ghz ceiling, but dismissing this because YOU think it's heat-related is ridiculous.

It could be voltage. It could be too much stress on the large wafer due to eSRAM. It could be too much heat (just because it's a large fan and room in the case, doesn't mean it puts off adequate cooling).

Only time will tell. It's a month away and we'll find out a bit more info when someone tears it down or MS stops spreading the Kool-Aid everywhere.

viveks86

That's not really a good indicator IMHO. There's no rules regarding how they decide what actions in a game get a trophy/achievement. For example, MS could set up KI so that you can get 1000/1000 with just Jago by not having any of the requirements be character-specific. The Driveclub trophies could all be win x races/win a type of race, or other things that could technically be done with a single car and track.

I hope the plus version is significant though, as it will likely be carrying a lot of the IGC on PS4 for a while. Sony would be smart to not cut it down too much.

Fair points. Though I believe racing games need not be as specific about achievements as fighting games. Don't think the pure racing genre as such has evolved in the direction of completing complex goals to win trophies. I can see that in an action racing genre though, like blur or the new NFS games.

You guys sure don't hold back with speculation. Now XBone has overheating issues...oh man.

Here is how this gen is going to go down:

-> Adoption of PS4 and Xbone will be slow as the initial improvements over their last gen counterparts will be marginal.
-> Power difference between PS4 and Xbone inconsequential and is just merit for fanboy banter
-> At least Microsoft tried something interesting with TV integration and improvements to Kinect. Sony basically gave us PS3 2.0, which is what a lot of gamers wanted. Adoption of both consoles will be comparable with PS4 having the edge initially
-> Microsoft will play hardball and secure lots of 3rd party exclusives or exclusive content, Sony will rely on its first party studios
-> In the end, the real first battle will be fought mid to late 2014 when we start seeing some crazy exclusives arriving on both systems

You can close this thread now.

You guys sure don't hold back with speculation. Now XBone has overheating issues...oh man.

-> Adoption of PS4 and Xbone will be slow as the initial improvements over their last gen counterparts will be marginal.
-> Power difference between PS4 and Xbone inconsequential and is just merit for fanboy banter
-> At least Microsoft tried something interesting with TV integration and improvements to Kinect. Sony basically gave us PS3 2.0, which is what a lot of gamers wanted. Adoption of both consoles will be comparable with PS4 having the edge initially
-> Microsoft will play hardball and secure lots of 3rd party exclusives or exclusive content, Sony will rely on its first party studios
-> In the end, the real first battle will be fought mid to late 2014 when we start seeing some crazy exclusives arriving on both systems

Umm no

Artorias

Banned

Pepperjack, are you serious?

Verendus

Banned

Disagree on the bold.

People's bodies are ready. I fully expect both consoles to sell, especially the PS4 and I expect it to have a fair bit more than just a 'slight edge'. Also, SCE has plenty of third party exclusives lined up. Just because they're not dumb enough to spend a lot of money on a timed exclusive doesn't mean there's nothing in the works. You've even had two announced already.

viveks86

But it's a racing game. At 60fps the gameplay is far more enjoyable than 30fps. And the developer even said we want it to look pretty and we're willing to sacrifice frame rate for it. I'm not down with that. Maybe a different style game yes, but not a racing game. Why do you think everyone is talking about how great forza looks and are dismissing drive club. I'm sure drive club can keep it's effects and still hit 60fps.

You're also giving half witted fanboys ammunition cause like you said, all the Xbox fanboys are using forza as an example of 1080/60 without even knowing wtf is really going on. I honestly think Drive Club devs can strike a "balance" if you will of effects and frame rate.

Well, in my opinion, Forza is a different genre and should not even be compared with Driveclub. But I guess there isn't an equivalent next gen simulation(ish) racer to compete against Forza, so everyone's attention is on Driveclub.

Also, if they were really going for 30 fps, they would have nipped all speculation in the bud. They must really be trying to achieve 60 without compromise. If that happens, everyone is happy. If not, then at least some of us still are. :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

They haven't dismissed the possibility of it running at 60fps just yet so hopefully our conversation will become redundant. Ok, IF they can 'cheat' a little ... perhaps have baked in shadows (for example) in the far distance where it won't matter, then yes I can agree with you, as long as it doesn't become the norm and developers on the PS4 keep on pushing for 1080p/60fps with ALL the visual flairs available to them.

You forgot to mention the price difference, that is NOT inconsequential.

Korezo

Sony will also start publishing there games on the Xone to don't forget.

Disagree on the bold.

People's bodies are ready. I fully expect both consoles to sell, especially the PS4 and I expect it to have a fair bit more than just a 'slight edge'. Also, SCE has plenty of third party exclusives lined up. Just because they're not dumb enough to spend a lot of money on a timed exclusive doesn't mean there's nothing in the works. You've even had two announced already.

I think people are ready for next gen, but the offering isn't exactly there.
Killzone looks like same old killzone. Knack looks...I'm not even going to. Drive club, meh.

All the other big games are multiplatform (BF4, AC:BF, Watch_Dogs, etc)

Where are the killer apps? Why should we be excited for next gen over the last gen, just graphics?

Edit: I guess I'm also a PC gamer, so having all the major releases be on PC as well isn't helping my adoption of next gen. I recently just went and bought another PS3 since my old one hit the dust. I'm sorry guys, I'm just not seeing where all this next gen hype is coming from and why.

OmahaG8

Cringed for ya

viveks86

Killzone looks like same old killzone. Knack looks...I'm not even going to. Drive club, meh.

All the other big games are multiplatform (BF4, AC:BF, Watch_Dogs, etc)

Where are the killer apps? Why should we be excited for next gen over the last gen, just graphics?

Edit: I guess I'm also a PC gamer, so having all the major releases be on PC as well isn't helping my adoption of next gen. I recently just went and bought another PS3 since my old one hit the dust. I'm sorry guys, I'm just not seeing where all this next gen hype is coming from and why.

Oh! So you were serious about your post. Ok. There are some glaring issues with it.

Firstly, you talk about how "this gen goes down" and then in your follow up post, you highlight only the launch titles and ignore everything else that was announced. Please clarify what you want to discuss. The generation as a whole or just the launch titles?

Faustek

I can sort of see how you would believe it. But MAN some people are as stupid as stone(Not calling you stupid). Listening to work mates today, I always believed them to be above stupid ads, and they were spouting this "balanced, higher cpu speed and Microsoft have more money so they hired better people" bs to defend their purchase against our latest hire, whom btw is a totally rad DC girl, asked them how they could be so stupid to invite Microsoft into their lives when they didn't trust them on the NSA thing.

What I think many people are forgetting is that these machines are made to run as little power as possible. It's one of the Advertised points and an actual reality.

Now if this low power consuming machine has it's power consumption boosted how will the parts inside it react? I don't believe the formfactor to be beneficial, as in larger for more air, I just believe it to a proof of Microsoft bad design choices in the innards that are demanding such a large box.

But no matter how much I want Microsoft, the WHOLE company, to crash and burn I realise they do a lot of good and have some awesome people working for them. Now Sega just have to find a gold crapping goose, or a few thousand of them, make the DC2 steal all Microsofts, good, workforce and then Microsoft can go under.

Edit: Looked like I called someone stupid but that is not my intent.

No, this is what will happen:

-> Adoption of the consoles will greatly favor Sony worldwide and Sony will regain significant market share in NA.
-> The price difference is a gamer changer and even fanboys are aware of this. The power difference is just icing on the cake for Sony
-> At least Sony isn't ramming Kinect 2.0 down peoples throats and has had a consistent philosophy from day one. The entire Xbox One unveiling and the aftermath has been a debacle. Microsoft gave us essentially PS3 2.0 in terms of arrogance and messaging.
-> Microsoft will try to moneyhat third parties but they'll have to break the bank by doing such a thing because there will be more PS4 consoles sold worldwide. Sony will continue to invest in their first parties and won't give a shit what kind of back room deals Microsoft tries to do.
-> In the end, the first battle has already been fought and won by Sony with their messaging, price point, and the power of their console. Things won't ramp up for either console until 2014 for either console, however.

E92 M3

You must have some really good glasses.

Yes, a very strong prescription - and I pay extra to have the lens be thin.

Legally blind is not exactly blind .... He uses the word legally ...

Exactly, without glasses I need to hold my phone about an inch from my face to be able to read the text, for an example.

To get back on topic: my main concern now is that MS doesn't throw in the towel, or release a new console in 4 years.

satam55

Banned
Disagree on the bold.

Which 2?

x-Lundz-x

So much tension going on in here, i think the lot of you need some laughter so i'd like you to read this. I am 100% sure you will not read through this without laughing your ass off. Don't ban me mods, i'm just spreading some joy and laughter up in here.

LOL holy fuck, where is this from? Reddit?

Oh man this is too good. 4-5TF RAW performance! HAhahahaha

In what ways does killzone look same old?

Honestly I'd love your unbiased take on that

Because I'm seeing a whole new killzone

dmr87

-> Adoption of the consoles will greatly favor Sony worldwide and Sony will regain significant market share in NA.
-> The price difference is a gamer changer and even fanboys are aware of this. The power difference is just icing on the cake for Sony
-> At least Sony isn't ramming Kinect 2.0 down peoples throats and has had a consistent philosophy from day one. The entire Xbox One unveiling and the aftermath has been a debacle. Microsoft gave us essentially PS3 2.0 in terms of arrogance and messaging.
-> Microsoft will try to moneyhat third parties but they'll have to break the bank by doing such a thing because there will be more PS4 consoles sold worldwide. Sony will continue to invest in their first parties and won't give a shit what kind of back room deals Microsoft tries to do.
-> In the end, the first battle has already been fought and won by Sony with their messaging, price point, and the power of their console. Things won't ramp up for either console until 2014 for either console, however.

R0x.gif

5JCpQad.gif

Stating things like they are facts, sadly, doesn't make them facts.

x-Lundz-x

Apt username for dis post. Wreckage.

IN&OUT

Banned

He is not speculating, something has happened, it might be due to the overclock or the complexity of the huge APU on the X1. maybe the eSRAM did shorten the chip lifespan. I'm thinking something along these lines.

He said risks everywhere, implying a malfunction on the original design...or that how I interpreted his message.

In my relatively short time lurking on NeoGAF, I've learned that CBoaT is right often enough for me to take what he says at face value. This shit worries me, because I've been more and more on the fence about cancelling my Xbox One preorder. While I would prefer more games to be 1080p on my 65" Panny, I'm not completely put off by Xbox One games having lower resolutions than their PS4 counterparts... because I'll have a PS4 for those. The main thing that's keeping me from cancelling my preorder altogether is the fact that, regardless of resolution, there is literally a 0% probability of Xbox One exclusives looking better on the PS4. In less convoluted terms, I'm still in it for the games. The only real way to put me off of the console now is for it to have some sort of catastrophic failure rate like the 360 did (I'm on my 4th one, through, and let me stress this, no fault of my own. It's sitting in the same well-ventilated, dust-free location that my still-working launch PS3 is.).

I'm not entirely sure of how to read the last part of CBoaT's post, but it seems to me like the mention of risk everywhere could mean potential hardware issues. This alone isn't enough for me to cancel my preorder, but it'll likely lead to my buying an extended warranty.

If anything more concrete should arise about possible hardware issues for the Xbox One, then that preorder will be done for sure.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
In my relatively short time lurking on NeoGAF, I've learned that CBoaT is right often enough for me to take what he says at face value. This shit worries me, because I've been more and more on the fence about cancelling my Xbox One preorder. While I would prefer more games to be 1080p on my 65" Panny, I'm not completely put off by Xbox One games having lower resolutions than their PS4 counterparts... because I'll have a PS4 for those. The main thing that's keeping me from cancelling my preorder altogether is the fact that, regardless of resolution, there is literally a 0% probability of Xbox One exclusives looking better on the PS4. In less convoluted terms, I'm still in it for the games. The only real way to put me off of the console now is for it to have some sort of catastrophic failure rate like the 360 did (I'm on my 4th one, through, and let me stress this, no fault of my own. It's sitting in the same well-ventilated, dust-free location that my still-working launch PS3 is.).

I'm not entirely sure of how to read the last part of CBoaT's post, but it seems to me like the mention of risk everywhere could mean potential hardware issues. This alone isn't enough for me to cancel my preorder, but it'll likely lead to my buying an extended warranty.

If anything more concrete should arise about possible hardware issues for the Xbox One, then that preorder will be done for sure.

On one hand you say all it will do is make you extend the warranty while on the other you say it will make you cancel your preorder ... which is it? You seem comfortable with the fact you've had 4 360s so I'd guess you're not really that bothered and you will buy an X1 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom