• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Big mistake for Drive Club to run at 30fps. Cause no matter how much better it looks, people see how smooth Fora is running and automatically think it looks better. They should sacrifice some effects and hit 60fps imo

I totally disagree. Next gen has to start somewhere otherwise we'll end up with current gen in high resolution. If sacrifices have to be made in earlier games then so be it. I want next gen effects not current gen effects.

Barzul

It would be madness for MS to upclock a console that is having similar overheating/RROD issues as the original 360. Like, completely insane.

If they've done that I'd put money on Xbox not lasting the generation.
This is what cboat posting "issues" causes. People are now assuming the Xbox One has RROD/overheating problems. I for one would like explicit confirmation if I can get it. Can't be that difficult to respond to are we looking at RROD 2.0? yes/no.

Guevara

This is what cboat posting "issues" causes. People are now assuming the Xbox One has RROD/overheating problems. I for one would like explicit confirmation if I can get it. Can't be that difficult to respond to are we looking at RROD 2.0? yes/no.

What other upclocking risks are there? Overheating, instability? I have no idea.

Jabba

Banned
Penello as a serious poster? are you kidding me?

When he posted his miracle equations and was called out by many posters here and arstechnica, he had no rebuttals and was unable to explain the "facts" he posted, If he was anyone other than Albert Penello he would have been banned for making that post and failing to provide any evidence or reasonable explaations when questioned other than "I'll have to ask someone"

I wanted to ask about this also. Being a junior at this juncture, I decided not to.

Krakn3Dfx

Big mistake for Drive Club to run at 30fps. Cause no matter how much better it looks, people see how smooth Fora is running and automatically think it looks better. They should sacrifice some effects and hit 60fps imo

An arcade racer at 30fps locked will be fine, the better it looks, the more attention it's going to get, most gamers aren't going to differentiate enough to affect overall sales.

What you're seeing in that gif is a game rendered in 1080p vs. 900p. The game didn't add any effects to make use of the freed resources due to resolution downgrade. Yerli said that in Ryse, rendering in 900p allowed the to make use of higher quality shaders, doing the overall look of the game good compared to 1080p.
That just sounds like Yerli is covering his back, though. The point, surely, is that there's nothing you can do on the XB hardware that you also can't do on the PS4 hardware, but the opposite isn't true, so there is always going to be room for the ps4 version to look better if the Devs choose to spend the time to do it. The same can't be said the other way around.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What you're seeing in that gif is a game rendered in 1080p vs. 900p. The game didn't add any effects to make use of the freed resources due to resolution downgrade. Yerli said that in Ryse, rendering in 900p allowed the to make use of higher quality shaders, doing the overall look of the game good compared to 1080p.

Yeah, but that's completely beside the point.

The point of the post was to show the difference of 1080p and 900p stretched to 1080.

The "you're not seeing any effects so it's moot" isn't really true because it assumes that the 1080p version is worse in some other way.

Lets say for this instance that were comparing a PS4 version to an Xbox One version. If reports are true and we really can expect 1080p PS4 versions alongside 900p XONE versions, the PS4 isn't a higher res simply because they turned off extra visual goodies.

The 1080p version will have all the same visual flairs of the 900p game - with the added benefit of the increased resolution.

Coxy

I never had a 360 die, but I had a couple of PS3's die, and it was as simple as handing someone a broken console, him handing you the fixed one, and you signing a piece of paper. It was completely painless, and took less time than a piss.

That wasnt the process here, or perhaps they changed it in recent years but when the one here broke you had to call to tell them it was broken, wait for a coffin, put it in the coffin, post the coffin out and wit for a new system to come back

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, but that's completely beside the point.

The point of the post was to show the difference of 1080p and 900p stretched to 1080.

The "you're not seeing any effects so it's moot" isn't really true because it assumes that the 1080p version is worse in some other way.

Lets say for this instance that were comparing a PS4 version to an Xbox One version. If reports are true and we really can expect 1080p PS4 versions alongside 900p XONE versions, the PS4 isn't a higher res simply because they turned off extra visual goodies.

The 1080p version will have all the same visual flairs of the 900p game - with the added benefit of the increased resolution.

And from what CBOAT inferred, less visual flair too.

never mind try tomatch eyecandy

So even with the reduced resolution, it won't match the PS4 in terms of visual flair. THAT'S what I'm interested in.

StuBurns

Banned
Well it's the "ps+ edition" so I'm sure it is a stripped down version.
True, but I feel like that's basically going to be the default version given the assured poor retail sales.

Still, everyone is going to try it.
That wasnt the process here, or perhaps they changed it in recent years but when the one here broke you had to call to tell them it was broken, wait for a coffin, put it in the coffin, post the coffin out and wit for a new system to come back
That certainly sounds very shitty.

As for the 900p thing, my understanding is basically the GPU advantage means you could run any XBO game which is 900p at 1080p on PS4, but the PS4 has GPGPU stuff which would provide notable advantages with things like physics calculations, beyond just the raw GPU advantage.

Septimius

Are you asking cboat? MS' launch campaign has been a mess of back-footing, wrong-footing, pussy-footing and generally just appearing incoherent and a mess. At one presentation, there was no Xbone, but a computer instead. At another, the whole thing was pre-rendered and showed no live features. A trite system of 'demo' time and no borrowing was removed, but still we sit left with a vision of how MS really wants the business to be run. It's worse performance, lower value, yet higher price. Bigger, uglier. And still the camera is mandatory.

At this point, an RROD 2.0 would just be the cherry ontop of the shit-sundae, and it wouldn't matter to me. Cboat hasn't explicitly stated that there is a RROD problem afoot, just that games likely won't be 1080p, possibly ever because of the RAM-layout. It's a sub-optimized console with upclocks.

Cboat has been highly accurate with all things related to MS. He told us about yield issues, he told us about the downclock, then the upclock. He told us about their problems. These things seem true. To me, an upclock with a yield issue will create more defect units. If that means 0.01% more or 1% more remains to be seen. I don't think this will be at the level the 360 was, but I think it will be it's own little catastrophe.

There aren't any other problems than overheating and instability that can come from upclocking. With a low yield, chances are they're pushing their margins already. This might create more defect units.

xaosslug

Not sure if cboat thread or dark souls thread.

ibd6eIvC6HELLd.gif

i2estCv1WT7bB.gif

viveks86

An arcade racer at 30fps locked will be fine, the better it looks, the more attention it's going to get, most gamers aren't going to differentiate enough to affect overall sales.

This. I think Driveclub, being a fledgling franchise has far bigger marketing challenges in reaching out to the masses than 60 fps. 30 fps arcade racer would not face much resistance if the graphics blow your socks off (I think it will) and gameplay is addictive (cautiously optimistic). The fact that it's free on PS+ would definitely encourage hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions) to try, which is all the game needs, assuming it ends up being good.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This. I think Driveclub, being a fledgling franchise has far bigger marketing challenges in reaching out to the masses than 60 fps. 30 fps arcade racer would not face much resistance if the graphics blow your socks off (I think it will) and gameplay is addictive (cautiously optimistic). The fact that it's free on PS+ would definitely encourage hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions) to try, which is all the game needs, assuming it ends up being good.

Visually I think it looks astonishing but gameplay wise we know very little really. I agree it will probably be good but I want it to be great! :)

SHADES

amazed anyone has trust in first Generation hardware from Microsoft after the 360....those consoles came built with short life expectancy and they knew it.

Hmmm, I don't know? I'd imagine their R&D budget was quite extensive, invest well or face a $Billion+ in warranty claims! to overlook last gens history is bad to the very core, if it happens again they deserve to walk from the console market as truly shite!

Don't get me wrong I'm firmly in the PS4 seat next gen just can't see such a major oversight second time around, but then again nothing they've done thus far seizes to amaze me.

nampad

What other upclocking risks are there? Overheating, instability? I have no idea.

He could not be talking about the hardware failure risk itself, but the business risk MS took with this strategy. If they have yield problems and still do a upclock, then the yields would be even worse which leads to less launch units, less launch markets.
So MS took a risk on their launch to narrow the performance gap.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
1024x720?

It's 1280x720.

There is some debate over that.

Dark Souls by default might be rendered at 1024x720 and stretched horizontally, or it might actually be rendered exactly at 1280x720. I don't think there is a certain consensus on it - but if anyone would know for sure it would probably be Durante.

Majanew

Banned
There is some debate over that.

Dark Souls by default might be rendered at 1024x720 and stretched horizontally, or it might actually be rendered exactly at 1280x720. I don't think there is a certain consensus on it - but if anyone would know for sure it would probably be Durante.

The debate isn't what Dark Souls default res is. His post is trying to show the difference between the possibility of Xbox One games being 720p versus 1080p on PS4. 1024x720 to 1280x720 is a difference of 184,320 pixels.

Crazy how many pages this thread got in one day. If what CBOAT says is true (and really, there's no reason not to believe it at this point) then I am really interested to see how this first year turns out. It will be fun indeed.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I sure hope someone gets a hold of both systems soon and dissects the insides. That's what I'm really looking forward too.

Will this happen pre or post launch?

demolitio

I trust CBOAT of course but it'd be quite insane for MS to risk any hardware issues after the RROD fiasco for a minor clock increase. If anyone still trusted MS after that, then...well...damn...

No one should excuse any company if we went through that again.

Tripolygon

Banned
So much tension going on in here, i think the lot of you need some laughter so i'd like you to read this. I am 100% sure you will not read through this without laughing your ass off. Don't ban me mods, i'm just spreading some joy and laughter up in here.
some brain cells will die after you read this said:
Also PS4 and X1 are closer than what people are leading on.

PS4= 14:4...14CUs for graphics and 4CUs for CPU function and an additional GPU CU reserved for OS. This leaves 13CUs or 1.3tflop for graphics and 500gflops for CPU function.

X1= 12+2:4... 12CUs @ 853mhz= 1.3tflop + 2 dormant CUs = 1.6tflop (Apps & OS offloaded by SPP GPU) and insider has confirmed 4CUs on CPU.

(MS has yet to reveal how many tflops gpgpu is)

1.6tf for gpu and 400gflops + 48ops for CPU. With 2 parallel render pipes for GPU and 2 parallel 4 core clusters for CPU. With the upclock it puts X1 slightly above PS4. With such paralism utilization of the system is nearly @ 100%.

PS4 is about 50% utilization as all the processing cores arnt split into parallel sets which increases core utilization and efficiency. After u hit a certain amount of cores for gpu and or CPU they start losing efficiency and therefore less utilization

X1= 14:4 @ 853mhz= 2+tf + 99%-UTI(HSA+) = 4+tflop + closed box = roughly around 8-10tflops realworld but still 4-5tf RAW and still headroom to upclock. all launch titles built around mono driver and dx11 tools.
(2+tf + closed box= 4-5tf) ps4 is 1.8tf + closed box= 3.6tf

2nd wave X1 games + stereo driver + dx11.2 tools= :)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Deadmeat math & technical understanding is alive and well.

kasane

So much tension going on in here, i think the lot of you need some laughter so i'd like you to read this. I am 100% sure you will not read through this without laughing your ass off. Don't ban me mods, i'm just spreading some joy and laughter up in here.

misterxmedia is dat u!?!?!

CLEEK

Mental stream of conciousness...

Speaking of insane ramblings, ever since VGLeaks started providing concrete details of Durango/Orbis, Jeff Rigby has been super quiet. I miss that guy, even though he was the anti-CBOAT in how his predictions never came true.

A bit disappointing at the performance of XB1, but at the same time the performance wouldn't matter that much if this box was selling at $299. They could have went the Nintendo approach of underpowered and affordable console like the Wii, but the problem is it's underpowered and much less affordable.

What's baffling is it doesn't seem MS is even trying to take a loss on this hardware. Gold subscriptions should make up for loss on hardware so I don't know what they are thinking right now. Just get the box in as many hands as possible.

Seriously where did that come from. I blacked out trying to comprehend the maths and logic.

What is that, I don't even................

OverHeat

« generous god »
Beside first party games and exclusive Im not buying a single 3rd party games on your console MS. Why would anyone who as a PS4 and a One do otherwise...

Derrick01

Banned
This thread has really made me realize how much I don't give a shit about 1080p vs 900p or whatever.

Do you care about framerate, level of detail, draw distance in open world games, textures, pop in, or a possible lack of AA? People act like a 40% difference (or more if this ESRAM is as much of a bitch to work with as rumored) is small and the only thing that will be affected is a slight resolution change.

viveks86

Really? Needing DLC to platinum it would have sold some copies for sure, that's pure good will on their part.

Indeed. They are trying to nurture the brand from the ground up and there's nothing like allowing people to "finish" the game without having to pay a penny extra. The additional cars and tracks will incentivize gamers to upgrade. If they don't upgrade, then they wouldn't have bought the next game in the series (or additional DLC) anyway.

So they are clearly in for the long haul. Will this strategy work? For Evo's sake, I hope so! Very keen to see how it plays out.

Also, don't think the game will be free forever. My guess is 6 months past the launch window. After that, based on how it is received, they might stop giving it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom