• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash Announced (3DS, October, side-scroller, Amiibo bundle available)

TheMoon

I haven't been following the amiibo scene much, but I was under the impression that the non-Smash stuff was more consistent quality-wise. With the Smash amibos it seemed like the promo renders the figures were based on were not made to be converted into figurines. The later amiibos have the benefit of being designed from the ground-up with mass production in mind.

And you'd be correct. Even the Smash series itself doesn't have any quality problems except for some occasionally sloppy paintjobs on characters with very complex details.

There's a Banda-Namco copyright on the Amiibo page, oddly enough.

It's because the first Chibo-Robo game Bandai was originally funding and was going to publish before the project got dropped. Nintendo picked it up later and I guess now it's a jointly owned IP?

I think all Chibi-Robo games have the Namco-Bandai copyright.

leroidys

This looks really fun, I LOVE grappler based platformers.

It's not really at all what I want out of the series though. The reaon I love the original is because of all the charactesr that you interact with and how they change as the game progresses, as well as the exploration. The past few games have stripped both, and consequently felt like hollow shells.

This looks really fun, I LOVE grappler based platformers.

It's not really at all what I want out of the series though. The reaon I love the original is because of all the charactesr that you interact with and how they change as the game progresses, as well as the exploration. The past few games have stripped both, and consequently felt like hollow shells.

It's a shame, they obviously want the character to succeed as they keep altering the games and trying different things but they got it right the first time.

Shadoron

It's a shame, they obviously want the character to succeed as they keep altering the games and trying different things but they got it right the first time.

This is absolutely correct. Its times like this I wish I knew Japanese so I could blow up Nintendo of Japan's twitter account. The first game was stellar, turning Chibi Robo into another platformer isn't the right move.

I will import the Chibi Amiibo if I have to...

That looks super cool, but then I remember what amiboos really end up looking like.

nail-on-board-construction-sxc-Shannah-Pace-web.jpg
Sneak preview of the consumer version.

Drago

Wow, I didn't really think Chibi Robo would ever come back tbh. I guess there was that Photo eshop game but I was thinking retail release

It never really left. He's had 5 games now since the first one 10 years ago (happy 10th anniversary Chibi Robo!), though I guess when one was a small Walmart exclusive, one of those games was Japan only, and one was a smaller digital game, it would feel like it's been gone a long time.

Hopefully this one gets a proper release worldwide.

I noticed in the trailer that it didn't mention the DS sequel to the GameCube game. Only the original and Park Patrol.

While I'm glad we're getting more Chibi-Robo, I hope there's more than just jump and whip.

Subaru

I think I've started to hate Nintendo.

1st reaction: Yey! Love Chibi Robo, love that amiibo! =D

Then...

1) Oh god this game can be JP only;
2) So it will be this amiibo;
3) If they launch Chibi Robo amiibo in US, it will be impossible to buy =(

Ok, you can say that I'm exaggerating, but I should be excited from these awesome news, but NoA is such a mess that I can't even dream to buy these fucking PRODUCTS because, well, NoA.

(Oh, and I live in Brazil, so "import" is also what I would actually have to do to buy amiibo and stuff, but if it's impossible even for who lives in USA...)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a big Chibi Robo fan and this looks pretty rough. Boring premise, boxy levels, genre we don't really need more of on the platform. I guess this is what they have to do to keep the character/franchise alive.

maxcriden

Releasing in NA in October, and the amiibo available in a bundle pack, and EU in November

confirmed in the Micro direct and here: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/605378340262932480

That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I just hope it's a full game and that the mechanics are easier to grasp than Umihara Kawase in terms of the zipline.

ETA:

Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash – Everyone’s favorite little robot is back, this time in a side-scrolling action game! In Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash, Chibi-Robo must swing his plug to whip enemies, reach far-off platforms and solve environmental puzzles, as well as collect upgrades to extend his plug for getting hard-to-reach collectibles and uncovering hidden areas. Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash will launch exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems this October.

Chibi-Robo amiibo – Launching exclusively in a Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash bundle is a new Chibi-Robo amiibo figure. This new amiibo transforms Chibi-Robo into the all-powerful Super Chibi-Robo in certain stages in the game. In addition, players can level up this Chibi-Robo amiibo to acquire a variety of in-game collectible figures and items by saving their scores at the end of each stage. More details about this special amiibo will be revealed in the future.

I truly hope this does not mean some of the in-game collectibles are exclusive to the amiibo. I would hope not. I would have to think they won't do that.

Real Hero

I'm a big Chibi Robo fan and this looks pretty rough. Boring premise, boxy levels, genre we don't really need more of on the platform. I guess this is what they have to do to keep the character/franchise alive.

It doesn't really look like it has anything that made Chibi Robo so good.

It's interesting how Bill Trinen announces the Chibi Robo Amiibo with '...and speaking of experiments...' in the Nintendo Direct Micro, I know he was talking about the Amiibo bundle, but I'm treating this release as some sort of experiment by Nintendo to see if the character still has traction. Will vote with my wallet. Might get the Amiibo seperately.

It doesn't really look like it has anything that made Chibi Robo so good.

It has Chibi Robo

georly

I wonder what nintendo franchises this will outsell, simply because of amiibo inclusion.

Will it outsell F-Zero GX (I think gx sold < .5 million worldwide)?

watershed

Banned
Based on the trailer, this does not look like a full retail title. The platforming and graphics look too simple. I hope this game has tons of variety and depth they will show off in the future.

I haven't been following the amiibo scene much, but I was under the impression that the non-Smash stuff was more consistent quality-wise. With the Smash amibos it seemed like the promo renders the figures were based on were not made to be converted into figurines. The later amiibos have the benefit of being designed from the ground-up with mass production in mind.

it's actually just that the less-stylized human faces saw a sizeable quality drop from prototype to production.

Also, apparently the later ones are doing better in that regard, including the marth reprints.

Even though this isn't the exact type of CR game I want, I'm still really happy it's getting a US release, and that amiibo will be mine.

Zubz

Banned
I wonder what nintendo franchises this will outsell, simply because of amiibo inclusion.

Will it outsell F-Zero GX (I think gx sold < .5 million worldwide)?

Reading that number physically hurt.
It hurt worse remembering that I was part of the problem; I bought it used after the Wii's launch.

But hey, at least Chibi-Robo!'s going to sell decently for once! ... Maybe this is why Nintendo didn't do anything about the scalper situation? Get people so desperate for Amiibo, then release games bundled with them?

Gah. It sucks knowing that it's working for me. And knowing that I'm going to have to fight for a game from a (Beautiful, mind you!) commercially D-Tier franchise.

Yeah I love the original and was hoping for more of the same. Loved how different it was. Park Patrol I thought was just ok. We never got the sequel =(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just realized there's no point in me getting this considering Nintendo STILL hasn't released the damn NFC portal thing for the OG 3DS model. Hopefully it actually comes out by then (I heard Japan is getting it in July?) so I can actually get this.

Also wonder if this'll be priced among the lines of $30.

Simbabbad

Like most people here, I LOVED the original game, was disappointed we didn't get the sequels (at least the proper one), I'm not too enthusiast about what we've seen of this game (gah why again a spin-off), and I'LL HAVE that amiibo.

I just realized there's no point in me getting this considering Nintendo STILL hasn't released the damn NFC portal thing for the OG 3DS model. Hopefully it actually comes out by then (I heard Japan is getting it in July?) so I can actually get this.

Also wonder if this'll be priced among the lines of $30.

I'm assuming when Happy designer is out here, so will this game

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still don't understand how Chibi-Robo is a thing that keeps happening.

The series isn't all that popular.
It doesn't even have a niche following that adores it.
People have to beg Nintendo to release some games in the West. Often with little success.

And yet Chibi-Robo keeps getting released with basically nobody asking for it.

Boggles the mind.

People have to beg Nintendo to release some games in the West. Often with little success.

Boggles the mind.
We've only missed one game, and it does have a niche following.

I know a lot of Chibi-Robo! fans, and obviously it does well enough for it to continue on, and the fact that it's getting an amiibo shows that I think Nintendo is committed to the character/IP.

Drago

Boggles the mind.
I honestly don't understand it either but I'm not going to complain. :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
and the fact that it's getting an amiibo shows that I think Nintendo is committed to the character/IP.

I think it's more likely that Nintendo has recognised that the primary appeal of Amiibo is as "character goods" and that people aren't fussed about the practical functionality of the figures, and this release is an experiment to see if they can use Amiibo to generate more interest in their second/third-string franchises, or as a way to charge full-price for a game that might otherwise be digital-exclusive and/or at a budget price.

casiopao

I'm coming up with a plan as we type

I will have ALL the Chibi Robos

Localization and amiibo confirmed for NA already, hell yes!

It will be mine. Nothing is going to get in my way. NOTHING.

Guys, this is why we should not be too obsessed with anything too much here. This is the ending of Drago......... Wut? Xenoblade X doll got Amiibo release??? ALL OF THOSE IS MINE!!!!

I think it's more likely that Nintendo has recognised that the primary appeal of Amiibo is as "character goods" and that people aren't fussed about the practical functionality of the figures, and this release is an experiment to see if they can use Amiibo to generate more interest in their second/third-string franchises, or as a way to charge full-price for a game that might otherwise be digital-exclusive and/or at a budget price.
I'd say it more likely the former. It's basically what I was trying to express.

They want to expand the IP's appeal, so they are using the amiibo to draw new people in. It's just too bad that the game isn't really a direct representation of what's so great about the series.

Top Bottom