• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola :ZERO: how healthy is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

You know what's better for me?

HOT water with CHOCOLATE powder in it

Are you daft, I am clearly not being serious

I should make you drink soylent for a week for your transgressions!

I honestly can't keep up with what's serious or joking in here anymore. Sorry.

Tesseract

Banned
I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic ( thanks genetic disorder ) in March of last year and switched from sugar soda to diet, I also made a huge change to my eating habits as well but I've lost close to 70 pounds with a diet soda a day. My blood work has all improved and I'm healthier then ever. Should you drink diet soda all day every day? No but one can a day isn't going to harm you.

And don't give me that chemical shit excuse, power bars, Gatorade, protein shakes all have weird shit in it.

gatorade is okay (it's a simple recipe), all that other shit kinda isn't.

there's a reason the variety of phenomena in the world stems from a steady operation of simple rules

The Lamp

Being made out of chemicals doesn't mean putting other chemicals made by a company that doesnt give a shit about you through your kidneys isn't the same. Or magically makes things ok.

With that said I doubt you're gonna die from a coke zero a day or every other day.

If it's all someone is drinking though....yea...I'd have concerns. But it's your body. Enjoy!

It's made by people who know what they're doing and approved by a group of scientists in a little place called the FDA who sure know more about what they're talking about than you do.

It's weird how people usually trust the average scientist and engineers to make their bombs and bridges and buildings and computers and A/C systems and medical devices, but when it comes to food everything is ALWAYS, by default, such a humongous conspiracy that people mentally decompose at the thought of eating chemicals made and studied by scientists. To the point that we have food babe.

I'm not saying it's invalid to be cautious of what you put in your body, but I'm also skeptical of how many people actually have the expertise to so confidently say what is and isn't okay to ever ingest.

Start by not believing the guy that says he's literally liquid

Thought you meant you literally only drink water lol.

V_Arnold

Again. Benefit-cost analysis. What benefits can be derived from drinking artificial sugar water over regular water? And are you seriously implying that artificial sweetners have caused the upsurge life expectancy? That's an interesting idea.

A better avenue for exploration is: why exactly do people crave sugary drinks? For 99% of human history, we did just fine without them.

No, I am not implying anything like that. As it can be concluded from the rest of that post: I am "implying" that this few decades is more relevant as far as concluding food's harm levels based on scientific data than the previous hundreds of thousands of years, given that we ARE more succesful at staying alive, thanks to the knowledge and better tools.

I dont think there is an actual problem with drinking them unless you get side effects (headaches and caffeine addiction)

The new BMJ study also points toward an association between artificially sweetened drinks and a higher risk of diabetes, as well as fruit juices, but the evidence wasn't strong enough to make a solid conclusion. The authors say that these drinks "seemed not to be healthy options for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes."

This is not the first study to come to point to the "diet-soda paradox." As we've reported, the San Antonio Heart Study found a significant link between diet soda consumption and weight gain over time.

It's tricky to unravel. "People gaining excessive weight might switch to diet drinks and still get diabetes because of their other risk factors," explains David Ludwig, director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children's Hospital.
Source

There seems to be a pretty big correlation between those who enjoy diet soda are more likely to not have healthy eating habits.

While I think it's probably fine in small amounts, and we don't have clear confirmation that artificial sweeteners are doing anything specifically harmful to the body, good research on the effects of food on the body is notoriously complicated to do.

I mean, we're still learning new things about foods we've been consuming for millenia, so for something comparatively new like aspartame or sucralose it's going to be a long long time before we understand the full effects of it on our body.

Matt

There seems to be a pretty big correlation between those who enjoy diet soda are more likely to not have healthy eating habits.

Or like the article says, people who have poor eating habits might change to Diet soda in an attempt to combat weight gain.

It's made by people who know what they're doing and approved by a group of scientists in a little place called the FDA who sure know more about what they're talking about than you do.

It's weird how people usually trust the average scientist and engineers to make their bombs and bridges and buildings and computers and A/C systems and medical devices, but when it comes to food everything is ALWAYS, by default, such a humongous conspiracy that people mentally decompose at the thought of eating chemicals made and studied by scientists. To the point that we have food babe.

I'm not saying it's invalid to be cautious of what you put in your body, but I'm also skeptical of how many people actually have the expertise to so confidently say what is and isn't okay to ever ingest.

It's called common sense. All Im saying is it's fine in moderation. Like everything else on the planet.

And LOL @ FDA.

jmdajr

The FDA might be for science, but the Government sure isn't.

Subsidizing HFCS, not outlawing peddling junk food to children, food pyraminds that don't make fucking sense, etc.

We have a ways to go.

jmdajr

Most people drinking diet soda are probably still hooked on sugar, they just get it elsewhere. I'm guessing health nuts drink it far less.
Maybe if all health nuts drank it, they'd be just as healthy. But who knows. Next study maybe?

I dont think there is an actual problem with drinking them unless you get side effects (headaches and caffeine addiction)

Source

Personally I drink a good amount of diet soda and am in great shape. I think I would eat more if I didn't get that caffeine infusion as I would be more tired.

Ultimately I'd wager my preworkout, BCAA stack, and protein shakes have much more chemicals in them. But that's a whole nother thread :)

Tesseract

Banned
How many without added sugars?

giphy.gif

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Human nutrition is hard guys, basically nothing is ever binary good or bad for everyone at any amount.

If drinking something with aspartame in it makes you consume fewer calories, the net benefit is very large.

Also, if people are actually curious about what happens when you consume aspartame, look into what aspartame breaks down into in the body. Mostly methanol and formaldehyde.

Tastes like shit and nothing like the real thing, I drink it because it has no(minimal?) sugar. I have about 3 or 4 cans/week.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's bad for you in a different way from regular soda. Unless you drink it only occasionally, I recommend you try to find different, healthier drinks to imbibe, and that if you don't have a taste for water that you try to develop one. I mean this sincerely and with zero snark.
Snark zero, real pain, zero scolding.

Disregarding that I don't like the taste of it, sugar substitutes are usually absolutely not good for your health. Persoanlly I choose to always only drink the original Coca Cola but with the added rule of never drinking more than half a liter per week.

The Lamp

It's called common sense. All Im saying is it's fine in moderation. Like everything else on the planet.

And LOL @ FDA.

That article uses really specific rhetoric to instill (from an unprivileged criticism only looking from the outside in) the notion that because the FDA is slow, they are doing their job of protecting the public poorly. Truth is, like I said, because nutrition science is slow, among other factors (like industry factors. The FDA can't overnight a policy that food companies can't comply with and suddenly the entire nations food supply and economy collapses) the FDA deliberates in all of its policy changes. Sure it makes mistakes like any organization, but it's literally the best we have in terms of regulatory agencies on earth. The FDA is more technologically advanced and has more resources for science and knowledge capture than any other food regulatory board on earth besides MAYBE the European Commission. No board tied up with government dollars is absent of criticisms, but it's the best we have and always the better decision than to trust uneducated opinions on dietary knowledge. People did the same thing with the CDC. People with forum and blog degrees in infectious disease disregard the statements of the CDC with fiery criticism regarding every kind of illness that hits our shores. Mind you, the HuffPost is written by an accomplished individual, but he's still only looking from the outside in, and pushing a rhetoric (that because the FDA is slow, they're bad at protecting the country) that I don't completely agree with or find useful in rebutting my point that the FDA is the best we have and infinitely better and more qualified than a common person's wisdom on what they should eat.

And no. Common sense isn't useful or quantifiable in discovering truth or establishing policy that yields an expected outcome. Some people's common sense is that drinking fruit juice is beneficial to your health. The truth is not so black and white. It has vitamins, but it's loaded to hell and back with fructose.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
People in this thread either don't understand how the word healthy is commonly used, are answering a question based on nothing or are just excited to be condescending and rude to the OP.

It's not like he said, "Is coke zero healthy? I think it is but my mom says it isn't!"

He asked if it was more healthy than regular coke. If you don't think it is, answer the fucking question, becuase it's not a stupid question warranting your condescension.

Cola. Healthy.

tAd14oI.gif
Read the OP

slit

Human nutrition is hard guys, basically nothing is ever binary good or bad for everyone at any amount.

If drinking something with aspartame in it makes you consume fewer calories, the net benefit is very large.

Also, if people are actually curious about what happens when you consume aspartame, look into what aspartame breaks down into in the body. Mostly methanol and formaldehyde.

Yes but so do a lot of the foods we eat everyday.

Tomatoes, carrots, watermelon among others.

jmdajr

That article uses really specific rhetoric to instill (from an unprivileged criticism only looking from the outside in) the notion that because the FDA is slow, they are doing their job of protecting the public poorly. Truth is, like I said, because nutrition science is slow, among other factors (like industry factors. The FDA can't overnight a policy that food companies can't comply with and suddenly the entire nations food supply and economy collapses) the FDA deliberates in all of its policy changes. Sure it makes mistakes like any organization, but it's literally the best we have in terms of regulatory agencies on earth. The FDA is more technologically advanced and has more resources for science and knowledge capture than any other food regulatory board on earth besides MAYBE the European Commission. No board tied up with government dollars is absent of criticisms, but it's the best we have and always the better decision than to trust uneducated opinions on dietary knowledge. People did the same thing with the CDC. People with forum and blog degrees in infectious disease disregard the statements of the CDC with fiery criticism regarding every kind of illness that hits our shores. Mind you, the HuffPost is written by an accomplished individual, but he's still only looking from the outside in, and pushing a rhetoric (that because the FDA is slow, they're bad at protecting the country) that I don't completely agree with or find useful in rebutting my point that the FDA is the best we have and infinitely better and more qualified than a common person's wisdom on what they should eat.

And no. Common sense isn't useful or quantifiable in discovering truth or establishing policy that yields an expected outcome. Some people's common sense is that drinking fruit juice is beneficial to your health. The truth is not so black and white. It has vitamins, but it's loaded to hell and back with fructose.

Like I said, FDA probably good for science.

Food industry and government. Bad. They think in $$$$. Yeah we need to gradually transition away from all this junk food that is killing us. But sure the food economy would collapse if it happened in a day.

All this processed junk has greatly increased the food supply for all even/especially the poor. But we are getting fat as fuck.

Not sure where I read, but more people suffer from obesity now than starvation. Hey progress right? We were just too good.

Mendrox

Snark zero, real pain, zero scolding.

Disregarding that I don't like the taste of it, sugar substitutes are usually absolutely not good for your health. Persoanlly I choose to always only drink the original Coca Cola but with the added rule of never drinking more than half a liter per week.

As we learned from food experts in this thread and some sources... that is not true. They are not healthy or unhealthy, but they help people consume more shit without risking getting fat or unhealthy. This not sarcasm and I've researched myself now too. So let us stop this.

SMattera

As we learned from food experts in this thread and some sources... that is not true. They are not healthy or unhealthy, but they help people consume more shit without risking getting fat or unhealthy. This not sarcasm and I've researched myself now too. So let us stop this.

How about this:

If you're going to drink soda, make it diet soda. But you should probably just drink water.

Can we agree to that?

How about this:

If you're going to drink soda, make it diet soda. But you should probably just drink water.

Can we agree to that?

This is literally the easiest shit ever

Water > Diet Soda > Soda

To expand that list;

Water > Sparkling Water > Diet Soda > SURGE > Apple Soda > IBC Root Beer > YooHoo > Other Sodas

Mendrox

How about this:

Can we agree to that?

Let's change this a bit more to:

If you are already sugar addicted try to change to water or if that doesn't work at first change it to diet soda instead

Also always use a drinking straw.

You should always drink water every day.

That would be okay for me.

I'll never understand this mentality. The idea that this is somehow laudable is even more baffling.

Did I ever say that it was laudable? No, but there are so many shit sources these days that I would rather search for myself if I get curious. Baffling, right? I am just unable to express myself in a more detailed way.

How about this:

Can we agree to that?

more likely than not, water causes no harm. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't cause harm. Nutrition is a complex subject that we frankly don't understand very well.

Better take water in moderation.

The Lamp

There is no evidence that water doesn't have some unknown harmful effects, so better take that shit in moderation.

It actually does. It can explode your cells and kill you. Remember that lady that died from drinking water to win a Wii?

This illustrates the fun chemical safety principle that everything becomes toxic as a function of dosage. Everything that enters the body either damages the body or doesn't, and this depends on the amount of that chemical present, and the tolerance the body has to its present amount. All matter follows this principle.

Edit: I know you're responding to that other poster who said unknown effects are reason enough to avoid something :p

jmdajr

more likely than not, water causes no harm. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't cause harm. Nutrition is a complex subject that we frankly don't understand very well.

Better take water in moderation.

I think we understand Nutrition better than we used to. And we will understand it even more.

The problem with food is that almost all harmful effects are not acute. Meaning they don't fuck you up right away in moderation. It takes years to see the damage, and so it takes years to do all these studies.

It's Hurricane season already?
No points to made from the Coca Cola wants your money post just shallow follow up questions. Fiji, Poland Springs and Evian want your money too so I don't understand why you are trying to paint Coca Cola as the big bad guy for being a company that wants to make money. I live in Nor Cal so I don't see too many hurricanes here but I have seen bottled water by the cases fly off the shelves more so then soda at times.

jmdajr

No points to made from the Coca Cola wants your money post just shallow follow up questions. Fiji, Poland Springs and Evian want your money too so I don't understand why you are trying to paint Coca Cola as the big bad guy for being a company that wants to make money. I live in Nor Cal so I don't see too many hurricanes here but I have seen bottled water by the cases fly off the shelves more so then soda at times.

Coca Cola is a big bad guy in my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Coca-Cola 'spends millions on research to prove that fizzy drinks don't make you fat'

Dice//

Banned
1. Replace your daily soda intake with water.

2. Realize you don't miss it that much and live a healthier life.

3. Profit.

Totally!! ....till I'm eating a giant piping hot cheese pizza and then Coca-Cola hits my tongue and water just never quenches thirst the same way when eating a giant cheese pizza...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom