• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 2| - Directional schools: Pay to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 7
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 24
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 7
Oregon @ Virginia by 17
South Carolina @ Georgia by 4
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 9
Navy @ Indiana by 10
Texas @ BYU by 14
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 20
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 9
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In Mack's defense, Connor Brewer was of course very highly regarded as well and his main recruiter was Harsin (OC/QB Coach at the time) who probably selected him as his preferred QB. Recruits say a lot of stuff, there's really no way to know if Jaboo would have signed for UT or not regardless of what he said.

He was playing the recruiting game pretty hard (gotta get as many offer letters as you can!).

Insiders at Texas say he was FSU/Bama the whole way.

Westonian

GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 6
South Florida @ Michigan State by 14
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 10
Oregon @ Virginia by 21
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 7
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 4 Shots fired!
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 17
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 10
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 7

andycapps

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Man, I don't think I've ever had a worse pick 'em. The first few games were going so well, and then the wheels came of Saturday night.

Don't be jelly.
hint, epic matchup of two top ten teams last week in Fresno State and Rutgers

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 13
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 10
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 14
Oregon @ Virginia by 45
South Carolina @ Georgia by 20
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 11
Navy @ Indiana by 14
Texas @ BYU by 20
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 31
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 17
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 8

Meier

He was playing the recruiting game pretty hard (gotta get as many offer letters as you can!).

Makes sense. Made a few gifs from his press conference yesterday. This guy is a character. Second one is talking about Nick O'Leary's 3 TDs.

Jaboo.gif

Jaboo2.gif

cashman

Banned

Yeah this guy wasn't an RG3 or Manziel. Dude was 5 star QB who got offers from everyone. If he was serious about going to Texas then there was no way Mack was going to ignore him.

Coaches' Poll

1 Alabama 1545
2 Ohio St. 1444
3 Oregon 1420
4 Stanford 1292
5 Clemson 1275
6 South Carolina 1220
7 Texas A&M 1181
8 Louisville 1051
9 Florida 974
10 Florida St. 946
11 LSU 926
12 Georgia 875
13 Notre Dame 840
14 Oklahoma St. 798
15 Oklahoma 666
16 Texas 660
17 Michigan 623
18 UCLA 368
19 Nebraska 357
20 Northwestern 348
21 Wisconsin 301
22 USC 176
23 Washington 145
24 TCU 140
24 Miami 140

Others Receiving Votes
Baylor 125; Michigan State 67; Mississippi 54; Fresno State 46; Northern Illinois 31; Arizona State 28; Cincinnati 19; Arkansas 12; San Jose State 12; Georgia Tech 10; Arizona 7; Boise State 5; Virginia Tech 5; Central Florida 4; Arkansas State 3; Kansas State 3; Texas Tech 3; Bowling Green 1; East Carolina 1; Missouri 1; North Carolina 1; Utah State 1.

cashman

Banned
I have no excuses for the Clowney thing. Texas just completely squandered whatever national recruiting advantage that Vince Young gave them. Makes me sick.

Enfinit

Having a Bye week in week 2 sucks almost as much as Kentucky's football team.
Seriously. After seeing Jameis go nuts last night, I gotta wait nearly two weeks to plant my ass in Doak.

Feel asleep after the game last night so I didn't get to post. Jameis looked awesome. I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season. Defensive Ends need to shape up big time though.
Believe the hype. But for the first time in a looonnnggggg time, I feel the D needs more work than the offense. Must be Pruitt's new schemes. Just not used to it yet. We gave up a couple big plays that should've never happened. I'm sure we'll get the kinks worked out by the Bethune-Cookman or Boston College games.

Go Gators!
Only team in the top 25 to win and slip two spots.

GO GATA

Every week these Gatas do the same thing with their first posts.
They use all of their cognitive thinking abilities academically, so there's little room for creativity on internet forums.

PICK EMS:
(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 10
Florida @ Miami by 3
South Florida @ Michigan State by 28
Oregon @ Virginia by 50
South Carolina @ Georgia by 6
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 14
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 15
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 18
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 20
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 12

Winston leapfrogs the Gatas to the #10 spot. It's a good week. Now time for that #26 Miami upset.

squicken

I'm kind of worried that this latest bit of bad PR, and maybe another trip to a minor bowl, could be the end of Mack Brown. UT fans that I know seem to be reaching their breaking point

Seriously. After seeing Jameis go nuts last night, I gotta wait nearly two weeks to plant my ass in Doak.

Be happy for this. I know we all think Jameis is football jesus, but playing game 2 with just four days off after game 1 is not good. Excluding last night, FSU has played on Labor Day four times in the past decade and all four times they played another game that next Saturday. Granted this was the "lost decade" but just look at these results.

In 2009 we lost to Miami on Labor day and almost lost (19-9) to Jacksonville State that next Saturday. I remember this one, it was maddening to watch the team nearly fall apart.

In 2007 we lost to Clemson on Labor Day and almost lost (34-24) to UAB the next Saturday. We were down by 14 at one point.

In 2006 we beat Miami on Labor Day and almost lost (24-17) to Troy that next Saturday.

In 2005, we beat Miami on Labor Day and throttled The Citadel (62-10) that next Saturday. They are an FCS team.

So yeah. I'm glad FSU has a bye this week. I know it's "just" Nevada up next and at home, but it was "just" Jax State, UAB, and Troy in those other years.

Anyway, I have tickets to the Nevada game and despite the inferior non-conference competition, Doak is going to be rocking for Jameis' home debut. The cheers for his entrance are going to be massive.

Believe the hype. But for the first time in a looonnnggggg time, I feel the D needs more work than the offense. Must be Pruitt's new schemes. Just not used to it yet. We gave up a couple big plays that should've never happened. I'm sure we'll get the kinks worked out by the Bethune-Cookman or Boston College games.

Agreed, but I also think the new defense is a bit more "bend but don't break". It may give up some plays every now and then, but it'll generate more turnovers via chaos. And we definitely saw that last night. That said, the DEs definitely need some polish.

I'm kind of worried that this latest bit of bad PR, and maybe another trip to a minor bowl, could be the end of Mack Brown. UT fans that I know seem to be reaching their breaking point

18 returning starters, isn't it? Plus a pretty mild schedule? I'd say he needs 10 wins and/or a top-15 finish or he's in big trouble if not gone.

Another big loss to OU should do it.

or that lol

Enfinit

Anyway, I have tickets to the Nevada game and despite the inferior non-conference competition, Doak is going to be rocking for Jameis' home debut.

I don't think it'll be a sellout, but I'm thinking it'll be the biggest game of the season aside from maybe NC State and Miami. There's not many home games to look forward to. We need Miami to crush the Gatas.

Jeff-DSA

No, my fellow BYU fans, this is the week where BYU does what they're supposed to and win at home. It's frustrating though, because like the year after beating Oklahoma in the season opener, we find a way to trip up elsewhere. Virginia is our annoying trip up, and it will be the "if we had just" game. When we're something like 8-4 at the end of the year and maybe sitting at #25 or just outside, we'll be saying, "if we just hadn't blown the opener at Virginia we'd probably be looking at a better bowl and an impressive season overall, given the schedule."

You know it to be true, Y fans. This is how we live each and every year as Cougar supporters.

Another big loss to OU should do it.

Yep. If OU wins again this year, their senior class will graduate never having lost to Texas. And of course our seniors would have never experienced a win vs. OU.

No, my fellow BYU fans, this is the week where BYU does what they're supposed to and win at home. It's frustrating though, because like the year after beating Oklahoma in the season opener, we find a way to trip up elsewhere. Virginia is our annoying trip up, and it will be the "if we had just" game. When we're something like 8-4 at the end of the year and maybe sitting at #25 or just outside, we'll be saying, "if we just hadn't blown the opener at Virginia we'd probably be looking at a better bowl and an impressive season overall, given the schedule."

You know it to be true, Y fans. This is how we live each and every year as Cougar supporters.

You're going to have to start your run after an 0-2 start.

cashman

Banned
(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 10
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 21
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 6
Oregon @ Virginia by 34
South Carolina @ Georgia by 11
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 7
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 17
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 14
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 10

squicken

Dream scenario.

Brown fired. Sumlin jumps to Texas.

Aggy aggies.

He interviewed with the Eagles and would have taken the job had they offered it. I'm not sure which college programs he would jump ship for, but he definitely views A&M as a stepping stone

Of course Stoops had a wandering eye early on at Oklahoma, but just could never leave. If Sumlin wins big at A&M he will never find the adoration he would receive there anywhere else. The fans haven't been so riled up since Jackie Sherrill

I don't think it'll be a sellout, but I'm thinking it'll be the biggest game of the season aside from maybe NC State and Miami. There's not many home games to look forward to. We need Miami to crush the Gatas.

Yeah as the home opener, people will want to show up to see the team for the first time this season, and of course to see "Famous" Jameis.

NC State will only be big because Bowden is coming back, and because fans want to see FSU get some revenge for last year.

Homecoming against Syracuse might get an alright turnout too, especially if FSU is undefeated going in. It's Homecoming and Bobby's coming for that one too.

cdyhybrid

Florida @ Miami by 4
South Florida @ Michigan State by 14
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 4
Oregon @ Virginia by 24
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 4
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 4
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 17
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 7

GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Florida @ Miami by 6
South Florida @ Michigan State by 12
Oregon @ Virginia by 24
South Carolina @ Georgia by 6
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 12
Navy @ Indiana by 12
Texas @ BYU by 10
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 21
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 9
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4

Meier

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 19m
Bridgewater new Heisman fav 5-1. Next: Miller 13/2, Manziel 15/2, Mariota & Boyd 8/1, D.Johnson & Winston 10/1, McCarron 12/1 via @BovadaLV

images

"There's no stopping this train."

(why the fuck is there not a decent gif of Walt saying this?!)

Boston College by 4
Miami by 4
Michigan State by 4
Cincinnati by 4
Oregon by 20
South Carolina by 4
Northwestern by 4
Navy by 4
Texas by 12
Oklahoma by 20
Auburn by 4
Michigan by 7

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ugh, looks like Alabama's Kenny Bell is quitting football, at least by his Twitter account.

They are showing Texas @ Hawaii from 1995 on LHN.

Why should you care? You shouldn't. I am not even really watching it.

However, they just showed the old ESPN 2 graphics. Jesus, if there was ever a case of a company trying to be edgy for edgy's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom