• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
xNotreDame_books_2.jpg,qitok=JnvEuxlS.pagespeed.ic.AOLDkZQUMh.jpg

Lets pump the breaks a bit in the future ok ND?

Alternate titles could be:

Purdon't: Willingham's Ultimate Failure

Down Goes the Ship: Navy Ends the Streak, Torpedoes the SS Clausen

You Just Lost to Duke......in Football: Blue Devils and Pink Slips.

If the ACC adds anyone it will be Navy to get ND on board and to get to 16, as well as get the Maryland market back.
Exactly.. WVU is in deep shit when the BIG XII does go because the BIG won't take them, the ACC doesn't want them. They obviously can't join the PAC..

The only options at that point are the SEC and when the BIG XII goes.. They will try and get Texas or Oklahoma and take their pairing to get them in the conference and vice versa for the BIG. WVU is in no man's land unless the ACC relents and adds them to bring Pitt and WVU back to the forefront and I don't see that happening.

You really think that in the event of a collapsing Big 12, that will save them? Big ten will take KU, but will never take K-State, same goes for Texas and Tech, OU and Okie State

State political leaders will absolutely get involved, maybe not KSU. But Tech and OSU are safe.

Hell last time around T Boone Pickens basically said he has ensured OSU has a home

Texas due to their television footprint can probably get Tech to the table by themselves when negotiating with the SEC, BIG, or the PAC. Whichever they pick would accommodate Tech to ensure that they can land Texas.

Oklahoma/Gondo State maybe.. T Boone might be able to keep Gondo State at the table with Oklahoma

Kansas/K-State doesn't have the juice to keep them together even if lawmakers were involved.

Texas due to their television footprint can probably get Tech to the table by themselves when negotiating with the SEC, BIG, or the PAC. Whichever they pick would accommodate Tech to ensure that they can land Texas.

Oklahoma/Gondo State maybe.. T Boone might be able to keep Gondo State at the table with Oklahoma

Kansas/K-State doesn't have the juice to keep them together even if lawmakers were involved.

That I agree with, Obviously KU would be able to find a Power 5 landing spot But KSU might get left out from the Power 5.

That I agree with, Obviously KU would be able to find a Power 5 landing spot But KSU might get left out from the Power 5.
Yup.. Especially when Bill Snyder.. leaves.. He's almost single-handily keeping that football program together.. K-State doesn't have basketball to save it.. Kansas is lucky they have basketball otherwise they'd have nothing to entice programs.

Iowa state is also unfortunately boned because the BIG won't take them because they have Iowa and won't feed Iowa's less attractive brother from the money trough (no disrespect meant to Iowa State Alumnus, those are unfortunately the facts of life)

Baylor (assuming somehow those fucks hold their football program into what that dick Briles built) has a decent basketball program historically and might find a home in a P5 conference. (Even though they don't deserve it)

TCU may be in the same boat as Baylor only with a crappier basketball program.

I'm hearing Vince Lombardi is very interested in the LSU job.

$9.95 for more.
What about Nick Saban's clone?

Someone asked David Shaw if he would take the LSU job smh.

His next job is gonna be in the NFL, if he ever wants to leave the Farm. Same thing with Jimbo Fisher I would think.

Someone asked David Shaw if he would take the LSU job smh.

His next job is gonna be in the NFL, if he ever wants to leave the Farm. Same thing with Jimbo Fisher I would think.
Exactly..
Shaw isn't leaving to go to LSU after succeeding in a tougher environment than Stanford by maintaining what Harbaugh helped built and succeeding in his own way. The only place he goes is the NFL..

Jimbo is the same.. He's not leaving FSU since he doesn't appear to have as much affection for the school as people think he does..

So far the top list of possible candidates..
Herman
Briles
Pelini?

All I can tell, is he has 4 or so kids, is younger than I am, and in the span of a year got divorced and married again. He's also younger than I am.

I know seeing a head D1 coach who's younger than you is a hard pill to digest, but you'll get over it. There's a DIII head football coach in Texas thats younger than me too.

http://www.goetbutigers.com/athletics/directory/934/scotty-walden/

He's 26 years old, and his team is currently ranked #17 in DIII

LSU is not a top 5 CFB job. Maybe top 10.

In no order

Alabama
Texas
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
Oklahoma

Are all programs I'd probably put ahead of them. Then I'd probably put LSU around that 10 spot.

In no order

Alabama
Texas
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
Oklahoma

Are all programs I'd probably put ahead of them. Then I'd probably put LSU around that 10 spot.

I dont necessarily disagree with this list, but I could see and probably would argue you replace LSU with Oklahoma.

In no order

Alabama
Texas
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
Oklahoma

I dont necessarily disagree with this list, but I could see and probably would argue you replace LSU with Oklahoma.
Pretty much.. Oklahoma has to recruit Texas whereas the top recruits for Louisiana stay home... They can go recruit the rest in Texas or other states whereas Oklahoma doesn't have the luxury.

The problem with LSU is that they have inflated expectations after Saban and a taste of the good life.

You only have to look at ND to see what inflated expectations do to coaches.

The problem with LSU is that they have inflated expectations after Saban and a taste of the good life.

You only have to look at ND to see what inflated expectations do to coaches.
That's true and unless the new guy comes in and is a wizard.. They are still (most likely) not going to beat Nick until he leaves. That's the issue.

andycapps

In no order

Alabama
Texas
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
Oklahoma

Oklahoma a top 10 job at this point? Maybe. But UGA belongs in that list because of being the top school in one of the top states for talent in the country.

Michigan is a bit high in that list too. They have no in state recruiting.

Pretty much.. Oklahoma has to recruit Texas whereas the top recruits for Louisiana stay home... They can go recruit the rest in Texas or other states whereas Oklahoma doesn't have the luxury.

Texas has so many recruits though that it's not hard for Oklahoma to do. And by the way there will likely be at least 2 coaching openings at those higher programs after the season. Point is I think most would put LSU at 9-10 when really looking at it.

Oklahoma a top 10 job at this point? Maybe. But UGA belongs in that list because of being the top school in one of the top states for talent in the country.

I didn't put them in order, just the ones I think are higher than LSU. Michigan has Ohio and are a big national brand and recruit well nationally. Also Michigan high school players rank tied for #10 as far as how many are in the NFL so to say no in state recruiting is way off base. Obviously the immediate recruiting base plays a large part but it's not everything either.

Louisiana is 6th with 69 nfl players and Michigan is 10th with 49 players to put in perspective.

Oklahoma still had one of the richer histories in College Football.. They probably would make a top ten list of desirable jobs

Michigan.. they have always Ohio to fall back (unfortunately for Ohio State in some cases) Harbaugh is starting to do compared to what Urban is doing/done.. Making Michigan a national recruiting program again and that in turn benefits the BIG overall with recruiting as it helps free up recruiting of Ohio for other programs indirectly.

Texas has so many recruits though that it's not hard for Oklahoma to do. And by the way there will likely be at least 2 coaching openings for the at those higher programs after the season. Point is I think most would put LSU at 9-10 when really looking at it.

I didn't put them in order, just the ones I think are higher than LSU. Michigan has Ohio and are a big national brand and recruit well nationally. Also Michigan high school players rank #11 as far as how many are in the NFL. Obviously the immediate recruiting base plays a large part but it's not everything either.
I'm not disagreeing.. I just think LSU starts with a bigger advantage compared to Oklahoma as they have more options whereas Oklahoma relies a lot more on Texas.

Michigan also has one of the larger athletic funds as well compared to most of the schools in the country.

Georgia (In terms of national perception) is probably at the same level as LSU I would guess.. You could fight it out between Oklahoma/LSU/GA on who makes the top ten..

andycapps

Texas has so many recruits though that it's not hard for Oklahoma to do. And by the way there will likely be at least 2 coaching openings at those higher programs after the season. Point is I think most would put LSU at 9-10 when really looking at it.

I didn't put them in order, just the ones I think are higher than LSU. Michigan has Ohio and are a big national brand and recruit well nationally. Also Michigan high school players rank tied for #10 as far as how many are in the NFL so to say no in state recruiting is way off base. Obviously the immediate recruiting base plays a large part but it's not everything either.

Louisiana is 6th with 69 nfl players and Michigan is 10th with 49 players to put in perspective.

LSU also has no competition. All those kids want to stay home. It's very rare for a top recruit to leave the state.

Also, you need to look at current recruiting. The count of players in the NFL is a bit deceptive. Michigan's population is dwindling, and as it does, the recruits decline. If Harbaugh thought he could get everything he needed between Michigan and Ohio would he be doing so many satellite camps?

Voras

In no order

Alabama
Texas
USC
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
Oklahoma

I don't really see how USC is a top 10 CFB job anymore after they've fired 2 head coaches in 3 years and there's a decent chance they're going to fire Helton this year. And that's not even counting Orgeron who probably deserved that job but he got snubbed for an alcoholic who barely lasted more than a year. USC has burned a lot of bridges since Carroll left, sure a lot of that is on Hayden but if they could attract talent I'm not sure why they took Helton.

There was definitely a point where the HC job at USC was in high demand but it doesn't really seem that way anymore. Lynn Swann could turn that all around but it's going to take some time.

LSU also has no competition. All those kids want to stay home. It's very rare for a top recruit to leave the state.

Also, you need to look at current recruiting. The count of players in the NFL is a bit deceptive. Michigan's population is dwindling, and as it does, the recruits decline. If Harbaugh thought he could get everything he needed between Michigan and Ohio would he be doing so many satellite camps?

They want to stay home since Saban/Miles. They sure didn't before that and were content to go to Bama/Texas. I'm not going to try to predict how many potential NFL players are going to leave a state in the future as population demographics shift that's way too unpredictable. It's not deceptive as a count as to which are good recruiting bases right now and that's all we're talking about.

Harbaugh knows Michigan can recruit well nationally and no matter how well he does in state it would be foolish to not take advantage of that. It's doesn't make the Michigan HC job less appealing, only moreso.

UGA I would put right next to LSU like the above poster says, largely because of the GA recruiting base but they haven't had the success to place them higher.

I don't really see how USC is a top 10 CFB job anymore after they've fired 2 head coaches in 3 years and there's a decent chance they're going to fire Helton this year. And that's not even counting Orgeron who probably deserved that job but he got snubbed for an alcoholic who barely lasted more than a year. USC has burned a lot of bridges since Carroll left, sure a lot of that is on Hayden but if they could attract talent I'm not sure why they took Helton.

There was definitely a point where the HC job at USC was in high demand but it doesn't really seem that way anymore. Lynn Swann could turn that all around but it's going to take some time.

It's southern California, has a huge recruit base (and lots of people nationally who would love to go there), tons of football money, loads of past success and were winning championships only a decade ago. Sure this is a low point for them but I don't see how they can't bounce back

As far as falling programs, two that I would have ranked higher in the past (15-20 years ago) that have fallen off are Nebraska and Penn State.

jfkgoblue

Michigan and Ohio are not Michigan's primary recruiting areas anymore. Michigan is feasting on talent rich NJ right now and has established a pipeline to the biggest talent producing school in the state. They actually took 0 recruits from Ohio this year. Michigan(and Ohio State) has a national brand that LSU can't even touch, got top 100 players literally coast to coast.

Also Michigan is still a great recruiting state, maybe not as great as Lousiana, but there are consistently 5-10 4* and higher kids coming out of the state, and most end up at Michigan.

LSU does have their state on lock as it stands right now, but that is a recent trend. I can guarantee that the schools most thrilled about this are Bama, Texas, and A&M, firing Miles in the middle of the season was really stupid, now these schools are going to use it to poach recruits from the state for the first time in a decade. LSU may not have instate competition, but they are definitely gonna have some now.

Bigger fan base, more revenue, while not being an historical power, still more success than LSU.

And a better recruiting base (even considering having to share with other instate teams, you can divide their NFL players by 3 and they still have more than Louisiana) and a bigger national brand. Why wouldn't Florida be ahead is the better question, unless you only want to count the last 7 years and even still LSU didn't exactly light the world on fire, even if they were good. Which is why you fired your coach in that period.

Michigan and Ohio are not Michigan's primary recruiting areas anymore. Michigan is feasting on talent rich NJ right now and has established a pipeline to the biggest talent producing school in the state. They actually took 0 recruits from Ohio this year. Michigan(and Ohio State) has a national brand that LSU can't even touch, got top 100 players literally coast to coast.

Also Michigan is still a great recruiting state, maybe not as great as Lousiana, but there are consistently 5-10 4* and higher kids coming out of the state, and most end up at Michigan.

LSU does have their state on lock as it stands right now, but that is a recent trend. I can guarantee that the schools most thrilled about this are Bama, Texas, and A&M, firing Miles in the middle of the season was really stupid, now these schools are going to use it to poach recruits from the state for the first time in a decade. LSU may not have instate competition, but they are definitely gonna have some now.
Yup..

It's going to be interesting to see.. The first task for that coach is to get the wall around the Bayou up again.. If he can't do that.. He might as well resign because he is not gonna be able to get the program off the ground again.

Why the fuck is Florida ahead of us.

Bigger fan base, more revenue, while not being an historical power, still more success than LSU.

And a better recruiting base (even considering having to share with other instate teams, you can divide their NFL players by 3 and they still have more than Louisiana) and a bigger national brand. Why wouldn't Florida be ahead is the better question.
This as well

jfkgoblue

USC is probably the best job in CFB, it literally has everything:

Huge local recruiting base
Huge National brand
One of the most historically successful programs
They make boatloads of money

They got fucked by the NCAA which has resulted in their current state, but they will be back, I guarantee it.
Florida is also one of 3 power 5 schools in the state..

This is some real offseason type talk here.

Like the above poster stated, even if you divide it by 3, it's still better than Louisiana

And this offseason talk is happening because LSU pulled an offseason move.

Florida is also one of 3 power 5 schools in the state..

This is some real offseason type talk here.

Like I said, divide the state's top recruits by 3 and they still have more than Louisiana. Not to mention Miami doesn't recruit on near the same level as the other 2. That's how talent rich Florida is.

I've just kind of been hearing all over that LSU is a top 5 job and I'm just perplexed why people think that.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Let's see:

Alabama
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Florida

I think are all top 10. You could aruge between Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, UCLA, Auburn, Ole Miss for the 10th slot.

Nebraska, Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Penn State and Washington all have aspects that make them compelling as part of a top 20-21

Let's see:

Alabama
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Florida

I think are all top 10. You could aruge between Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, UCLA, Auburn, Ole Miss for the 10th slot.

Nebraska, Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Penn State and Washington all have aspects that make them compelling as part of a top 20-21

Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Auburn are all better jobs than Texas A&M. A&M is not a good job.

Michigan is a top-5 job at worst.

jfkgoblue

Let's see:

Alabama
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Florida

Michigan is a top 5 job, much less top 10, to compare it to Ole Miss is ridiculous

Let's review what Michigan has going for it:
Wealthiest Athletic Department
Largest stadium in the country
Top 3 largest fan base
National brand
Not to mention the all time winningist program by both metrics(wins and winning percentage)

Michigan is a top 5 job, much less top 10, to compare it to Ole Miss is ridiculous

Let's review what Michigan has going for it:
Wealthiest Athletic Department
Largest stadium in the country
Top 3 largest fan base
National brand
Not to mention the all time winningist program by both metrics(wins and winning percentage)

Yeah, a program has an 8 year dip and people forget all about them. Everyone goes through it at some point.

I think the two head coaches in 3 years narrative is over blown. Sarkisian wasn't fired because the team sucked, he was fired because he has a disease that he wasn't willing to get help for it. If that hadn't been the case he would still be coaching.

Despite all the coaching issues USC has still out recruited the rest of the conference. They have new on field facilities and the coliseum is getting upgrades thanks to the Rams.

It's the proverbial sleeping giant. Yes the expectations are high, but the resources are better than any other job in the market.

andycapps

Let's see:

Alabama
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Florida

Yeah I think Ole Miss might make it into the top 20. Let's wait and see on that until we see what the NCAA does to them and how many wins they have to vacate.

Let's see:

Alabama
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Florida

Ole Miss.....Wut....

A team that has a sub .600 record? A team that hasnt even won their own conference in over 50 years? Yeah youre going to have to walk that one back a bit.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Top 5 coaching jobs in order:

Ohio State
USC
Michigan
Texas
ND

Nobody else is even close. After that you get your LSUs, your Georgias and your Floridas.

jjasper

If we are ranking jobs I'd do it in Tiers
Tier 1:
USC
Bama
Florida
FSU
Michigan
Texas
Ohio State

I think those are the job you leave where you are for without thinking twice. After that I think there are 10-15 jobs that all clearly have big flaws that prevent them from being in that list but are great jobs that tier is

Tier 2:
Notre Dame
Oregon
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Auburn
LSU
Georgia
UCLA
Miami
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State
Clemson
A&M

Then there is another tier with about 20 teams. Then all the rest of the power 5 schools then everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom