• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Rumor is that Saban has already reached out to Miles to hire him as a special, non-coaching assistant to join Sark.

Rumor is that Saban has already reached out to Miles to hire him as a special, non-coaching assistant to join Sark.

So at what point do enough schools and/or personalities make a stink about this and try (maybe succeed) to get it changed? I personally have no problem with it, but it does seem like a blatant circumvention of the system and I don't think too many coaches/schools are happy with the Bama Megazord.

Rocketz

Well they were wanting to do this for years so it's finally done. Herman was going somewhere after this year so here comes the money.

LionPride

Banned
So at what point do enough schools and/or personalities make a stink about this and try (maybe succeed) to get it changed? I personally have no problem with it, but it does seem like a blatant circumvention of the system and I don't think too many coaches/schools are happy with the Bama Megazord.

I have an issue with creating a voltron of talent at Bama in regards to the coaching staff. It's bullshit that this is allowed

mre

Well they were wanting to do this for years so it's finally done. Herman was going somewhere after this year so here comes the money.
If Houston gets into the Big 12, I wouldn't be so sure about Herman leaving.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I have an issue with creating a voltron of talent at Bama in regards to the coaching staff. It's bullshit that this is allowed

Just as soon as we can get rid of the HUNH.

James Moran @SmartestMoran
Jamal Adams said Ed Orgeron brought a rope to the team meeting and had everyone touch it: "We're all pulling in one direction." #LSU
Where have I seen the "hold the rope" speech from before...

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
bilde

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Perfect time for Lee Corso to retire, and Les Miles move into the Wacky Uncle role on College Gameday

We all know satellite camps are the real problem...

If the Art Briles rumors are true I hope they never win another game.

Please let LSU hire Briles so I can actively root against them forever
I'll jump on this wagon too.

Oh man.. Pls let this happen

Perfect time for Lee Corso to retire, and Les Miles move into the Wacky Uncle role on College Gameday
Shit.. He'd be awesome at it as well..

Him or Spurrier

ryseing

If Houston gets into the B12 Herman stays. Someone made an interesting point, I forget who (think it was Mack Brown). They said "if Herman goes to a USC or LSU or tOSU, he's just the next coach. If he stays at Houston and puts that program on the map, he becomes their Bear Bryant." If you don't think ego has a role in where a coach goes, you're dead wrong. Herman could have the stadium named after him if Houston continues in their current trajectory.

Now of course he isn't going to stay if Houston is stuck in the AAC as I assume he wants a reliable chance to win a national championship. But if they get into the B12 or if the B12 collapses and the American fills that P5 void (more likely than you think) there's no reason for him to leave. His salary is comparable to top flight P5 coaches and Houston has promised a fairly large facility upgrade which his contract will hold them to.

Related note- my school's fanbase is on the fire Doeren, hire Miles bandwagon and it's hard to disagree with them. He just needs to go 8-4 and beat Carolina most years! Much easier than having to deal with the pressure of LSU's neurotic fanbase.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If Houston gets into the B12 Herman stays. Someone made an interesting point, I forget who (think it was Mack Brown). They said "if Herman goes to a USC or LSU or tOSU, he's just the next coach. If he stays at Houston and puts that program on the map, he becomes their Bear Bryant." If you don't think ego has a role in where a coach goes, you're dead wrong. Herman could have the stadium named after him if Houston continues in their current trajectory.

Now of course he isn't going to stay if Houston is stuck in the AAC as I assume he wants a reliable chance to win a national championship. But if they get into the B12 or if the B12 collapses and the American fills that P5 void (more likely than you think) there's no reason for him to leave. His salary is comparable to top flight P5 coaches and Houston has promised a fairly large facility upgrade which his contract will hold them to.

Related note- my school's fanbase is on the fire Doeren, hire Miles bandwagon and it's hard to disagree with them. He just needs to go 8-4 and beat Carolina most years! Much easier than having to deal with the pressure of LSU's neurotic fanbase.

Admit it. Your fans are spamming Debbie Yow's twitter, facebook, email to hire Les Miles RIGHT NOW. He'd be an upgrade over Doreen.

EDIT: I just saw your last sentence. As soon as I saw your post it was the first thing that came to my mind, lol.

ryseing

Admit it. Your fans are spamming Debbie Yow's twitter, facebook, email to hire Les Miles RIGHT NOW. He'd be an upgrade over Doreen.

EDIT: I just saw your last sentence. As soon as I saw your post it was the first thing that came to my mind, lol.

A certain message board may or may not be spamming Miles's agent's info and Yow's email.

It depends on Saturday. If we lose to Wake at home there's no chance Doeren stays short of winning @Louisville or @FSU, and even then he would have to win @UNC as well.

I dunno. There's a money issue, and I would hope we would keep our OC as Miles doesn't seem to know WTF he's doing on that side of the ball. Can't stop me from dreaming. Yow's impending retirement is an issue as well as I doubt Miles would want to work under a brand new AD a year after being hired.

Also, apparently Miles's son is a walk-on QB at that university in ugly blue? If Fedora leaves after this year which I think is likely I'd expect that he'd want to go there.

Why not both? Either could do well on the set or traveling. Miles can sample the grass or turf throughout the US and even internationally and grade them, etc.
Now that would be a segment..

Pls no.. :(
They don't deserve Jim :(

Valid point and we are gonna have to see whether the Big XII is going to shit or get off the pot..

The hell is taking them so long?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We're gonna be okay.

Well, admittedly Duke is not LSU when it comes to football, but Alleva was the genius behind hiring Carl Franks and Ted Roof as HC, and instead of Cutcliffe, he wanted fucking Karl Dorrell who was chased off from UCLA by Rich Neuheisel. The boosters and money people had to steer him to Cutcliffe.
I think he only got the Duke AD job because he was good friends of Coach K, and while K does not hate football or the prospect of its success at Duke, he surely didn't care about it until it was clear to him the economics of college sports was changing and Duke Basketball could not keep all other ships afloat anymore.
Alleva to me is a guy who knows how to fail upwards. Thats his rep at Duke anyway.

Jamesways

Wonder how Dave Aranda feels about all this. I'm sure he'll be fine but maybe part of him is thinking he should have stayed at Wisconsin.

Then again the looking at the paychecks would cure that real quick.

Wonder how Dave Aranda feels about all this. I'm sure he'll be fine but maybe part of him is thinking he should have stayed at Wisconsin.

Then again the looking at the paychecks would cure that real quick.

I mean he saw what happened at the end of last season and still took the job.

jfkgoblue

I disagree, there is always room for a new legendary coach at the blue bloods, hell Michigan has several, and doing it at a blue blood with huge fan bases and national recognition will have a much larger impact than a small fan base that is Houston
They're trying to determine if their demise should be less or more spectacular than the Big East's was.
This expansion shit is literally following the Big East's "how to lose autobid" path.

Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas will be the only safe Big 12 members when it ultimately folds.

This expansion shit is literally following the Big East's "how to lose autobid" path.

Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas will be the only safe Big 12 members when it ultimately folds.

A decision is supposed to be made during their October 17th meeting. But I think they will vote to stay on the pot and probably even further delay this charade until the end of the season. Or probably just outright vote to keep limping on as a 10 team league and "continually evaluate the landscape."

Cyan--

Just to confirm, we're back to community next week, right?

I will go ahead and say that is correct.

Provisionally correct.

Maybe correct.

Just make it in community, and if Cyan calls me dumb (which will happen, regardless of the accuracy of this post) on this specific action, I will bump it back over.

mre

I will go ahead and say that is correct.

Provisionally correct.

Maybe correct.

Just make it in community, and if Cyan calls me dumb (which will happen, regardless of the accuracy of this post) on this specific action, I will bump it back over.
You're not Cyan. I don't think you're even really a mod.

What sort of game are you trying to play here?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Still not totally understanding the reason why we are pushed to Community still. There must be a personal vendetta the admins have against college football, right? Having one thread in OT couldn't be much of a clutter. Unless it is to make way for yet another Trump, BvS, Police Shooting, or Man of Steel thread, right?

Might as well rename OT the TBvSPSMoSBLM forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom