• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Two: You get a cupcake, and you get a cupcake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Karl, on the pickem form, anyway to have each persons picks be "viewable", or at least our own? I recognize my excellence with scoring a 9, but I have no clue who I picked, except for Alabama and Houston.

From last week, yeah. I'll see if I can whip that up tonight. In the future, I can try to post them when I close the submissions. I'll just make it so you can only view the Google Sheet. Link. As far as the current week, up until I close submissions you should be able to see your picks.

Week 2 Pickems
Link

NC State @ ECU
Penn State @ Pitt
Cincinnati @ Purdue
Ohio @ Kansas
USCe @ Miss St
Arkansas @ TCU
ISU @ Iowa
BYU @ Utah
VT @ Tennessee
Texas Tech @ Arizona State
Wazzu @ Boise
Cal @ SDSU

Krejlooc

Banned
The proper way to follow college football is to root for your alma matter

The only way, IMO.

Though you should never refer to the entertaining team as 'we', that would make you bandwagooning scum.

Fuck that, I am a Texas Longhorn. That's my Alma Mater. Texas is bigger than just a football team, I take pride of everything my school accomplishes, from Richard Garriot and his contribution to video games, to cancer research at UTMB. I feel like my own professional accomplishments are also a part of UT, no matter how small they are.

College sports are the only time I feel it's absolutely appropriate to say "we." Texas will always be my school, and I will always feel like I'm a part of Texas.

That's precisely why I can't et big into pro sports. I don't feel any attachment to the teams or players.

jfkgoblue

From last week, yeah. I'll see if I can whip that up tonight. In the future, I can try to post them when I close the submissions. I'll just make it so you can only view the Google Sheet. Link. As far as the current week, up until I close submissions you should be able to see your picks.

Week 2 Pickems
Link

NC State @ ECU
Penn State @ Pitt
Cincinnati @ Purdue
Ohio @ Kansas
USCe @ Miss St
Arkansas @ TCU
ISU @ Iowa
BYU @ Utah
VT @ Tennessee
Wazzu @ Boise
Cal @ SDSU
The answers on page 2 are grayed out for some reason(bonus and username)

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The only way, IMO.

Fuck that, I am a Texas Longhorn. That's my Alma Mater. Texas is bigger than just a football team, I take pride of everything my school accomplishes, from Richard Garriot and his contribution to video games, to cancer research at UTMB. I feel like my own professional accomplishments are also a part of UT, no matter how small they are.

College sports are the only time I feel it's absolutely appropriate to say "we." Texas will always be my school, and I will always feel like I'm a part of Texas.

That's precisely why I can't et big into pro sports. I don't feel any attachment to the teams or players.

What I mean by 'entertaining team', is for those without alma matter with football teams or local favorites or family favorites, they can just pick a team who they find entertaining... But in this case, one loses the right to say 'we'

dakilla13

Go Huskies! That #8 ranking. I'd honestly be happy if we were #15 by the end of the year. That and beating the Ducks back into the ground where they belong.

Go Huskies! That #8 ranking. I'd honestly be happy if we were #15 by the end of the year. That and beating the Ducks back into the ground where they belong.

How many years has it been since Ty was there? Maybe it's your turn to lose to Alabama in the national championship game.

I didn't mean it like that, meant to ask if you could put it in the OT's. The link to subscribe to The Decided Schematic Advantage is here.

Summary something like the below:
Listen to Tom (Azwethinkweiz), Andy (Andycapps), Mike (Lonestar), and Andrew (bucknuticus) discuss the latest in college football news, a little bit about video games, and TV.

awesome, will give it a listen.

It will be interesting putting voices/accents to the usernames I always see.

The proper way to follow college football is to root for your alma matter, family member's favorite team, or hometown team(s). For all games not involving your team, root for the upset unless it features a team you hate watch and that hate watch team winning would be an upset. You can have as many hate watch teams as you like, but your teams should be limited to 3 and in case no team fits any of the initial criteria, you are free to chose one primary team and root for one other team each season based purely on how entertaining they are to watch. Though you should never refer to the entertaining team as 'we', that would make you bandwagooning scum.

It should really be limited to 5 teams, so long as they are all in different conferences.

LosDaddie

Banned
I didn't mean it like that, meant to ask if you could put it in the OT's. The link to subscribe to The Decided Schematic Advantage is here.

Summary something like the below:
Listen to Tom (Azwethinkweiz), Andy (Andycapps), Mike (Lonestar), and Andrew (bucknuticus) discuss the latest in college football news, a little bit about video games, and TV.

hot damn
i didn't know you guys were doing a podcast now. i've been out of the CFB-GAF loop for too long.
i'll give it a listen.

jfkgoblue

Pretty good first episode.

Any idea how many total they usually run?
After each week, plus the bowl season special(how it was done with ND last year)

It's actually pretty impressive that the time from filming through editing, to airing on the last 10 minutes or so of the episode was less than 24 hours.

asian250

Aww yeah, Houston at number 6! The only major obstacle I see left is Louisville near the end of the season. I'm just hoping they can run the table and not lose to a team like Uconn like last year.

cashman

Banned

Week 2 Pickems
Link

NC State @ ECU
Penn State @ Pitt
Cincinnati @ Purdue
Ohio @ Kansas
USCe @ Miss St
Arkansas @ TCU
ISU @ Iowa
BYU @ Utah
VT @ Tennessee
Wazzu @ Boise
Cal @ SDSU

Dang what do Buckeye fans have against Strong

Balphon

Aww yeah, Houston at number 6! The only major obstacle I see left is Louisville near the end of the season. I'm just hoping they can run the table and not lose to a team like Uconn like last year.

They have the clearest shot to the playoff of anyone right now. So long as they don't pull a Boise and fuck it up.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The rooting doesn't seem correct in here.

You definitely root for alma mater, hometown / home state team.

I would also argue that it is responsibility to root for your conference while in non-conference play. You also root for or against other teams based on the best interest of your team

This frequently can cause a large disconnect between brain and heart. Like if you're a Michigan fan and rooting for Ohio State in non-conference play, or rooting for Ohio State to stay unbeaten so you can be the one to knock them off and leapfrog back in.

So team first, conference/team's best interest in other games second (possibly hate/rival exception here... but really that's more of a divided house thing).

Then you can have teams you have some level of respect for and root for in other conferences when not against your own best interests. Georgia would be a team like that for me in the SEC. Virginia Tech another team. Washington State + Mike Leach.

Then there is the hate list. Teams you can't stand, teams you love to hate. The Ole Misses, Texases, Iowas and Miami of the world. You always root for them to lose unless it's in your team's best interest.

Then and only then, do you go full chaos mode and always root for the upset / underdog.

cashman

Banned
Why the hell would they describe the belt as passing to the winner of games beginning from some random bowl game in the 70's when the belt ends up in the same hands from the only two defensible starting point games (the first collegiate game and the first declared National Champion?)

It says on their website that it was a thing the guy and his buddies came up with so they started with the best team they had been alive to see at that point.

FyreWulff

it's basically

root for Nebraska

root for anyone playing against Notre Dame

write Oklahoma texts telling them to come join us in the Big 10

don't know how to really feel about any Big 10 teams yet

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, I won't root for a team purely because they are in the Big 12.

And I will never root for Oklahoma.

I understand why your heart can never root for them,

but BRAINS MAN, BRAINS.

I had this going with Wisconsin / LSU. My interests were in rooting for Wisconsin and against the SEC, but I still couldn't help but be a little excited when LSU was making the comeback. Just like I'll secretly in my heart hope Iowa State or NDSU upsets Iowa.

My head ultimately rules though. What's best for the B1G is best for Nebraska.

Kevtones

My hope is that the Huskies go 13-1 with their sole loss to Oregon. Then Chris Peterson takes the Tennessee job and UW rehires Sarkisian in a return to form.

I'm hearing now some LSU fans are yearning for Tom Herman next season, since aggy and UT got off to a good start and LSU got off to a shitty one they may get their wish.

The proper way to follow college football is to root for your alma matter, family member's favorite team, or hometown team(s). For all games not involving your team, root for the upset unless it features a team you hate watch and that hate watch team winning would be an upset. You can have as many hate watch teams as you like, but your teams should be limited to 3 and in case no team fits any of the initial criteria, you are free to chose one primary team and root for one other team each season based purely on how entertaining they are to watch. Though you should never refer to the entertaining team as 'we', that would make you bandwagooning scum.

What if you're not American and just love football, what team do i root for. I hate most teams especially the SEC teams, especially hate Georgia and Nebraska. It's irrational but i think it's their uniforms colour and how their fans think they're better than they are.

What if you're not American and just love football, what team do i root for. I hate most teams especially the SEC teams, especially hate Georgia and Nebraska. It's irrational but i think it's their uniforms colour and how their fans think they're better than they are.

SEC Hate: Good.
Georgia and Nebraska Hate: Good.
The reasons for Georgia and Nebraska Hate: Even Better.

You're on the right track so far.

Root for a fun team, whether its a high flying offense, a non boring coach, or just colors you like.

I, of course, think you should root for Texas. We wear the correct color orange, the uniform is awesome, our mascot is noble, and our offense could be really fun to watch this year. Also, did you watch that ND-UT game? It was awesome!

Also:

Though you should never refer to the entertaining team as 'we', that would make you bandwagooning scum.

Don't listen to this :p One of the best parts of CFB is being irrational.

SEC Hate: Good.
Georgia and Nebraska Hate: Good.
The reasons for Georgia and Nebraska Hate: Even Better.

You're on the right track so far.

Root for a fun team, whether its a high flying offense, a non boring coach, or just colors you like.

I, of course, think you should root for Texas. We wear the correct color orange, the uniform is awesome, our mascot is noble, and our offense could be really fun to watch this year. Also, did you watch that ND-UT game? It was awesome!

Also:

Don't listen to this :p One of the best parts of CFB is being irrational.

Yeah i watched the ND-UT game. I actually like Baylor cause RG3 got me interested in college football.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

All reasonable, but I'll never root for another team based on a loose agreement between schools on collective television bargaining rights and scheduling. X team is my enemy and they must burn in a dumpster fire, when their team is performing poorly, I savor their sadness, because college football is a game of heart and passion not the clinical precision and sterile-parity of the NFL.

Well, I am not American and pretty much every school I have rooted for (still does not sound right saying that) has been admonished in this thread. So I can tell you not to support the following teams:

Notre Dame, Ole Miss, The University of Miami, Georgia Tech, Michigan/Harbaugh

I'm hearing now some LSU fans are yearning for Tom Herman next season, since aggy and UT got off to a good start and LSU got off to a shitty one they may get their wish.

That would be awesome, but I think TAM will get him.

My hope is that the Huskies go 13-1 with their sole loss to Oregon. Then Chris Peterson takes the Tennessee job and UW rehires Sarkisian in a return to form.

Peterson is never leaving the West.

Also do people really think after just one game that Tennessee is going to be bad enough to get Jones fired? This team should be better than last year's team, and they wasn't that bad last year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't get it. Why aren't they crawling all over the ground like wild animals?

4790175.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom