• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I dunno why I thought that Remender thing was Hickman. Now I'm extra bummed about Tocchini on art.

hellboygunmonkey.jpg

never fails to amuse me

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anyone have the answer to my earlier question? Is Avengers a double shipped book?

A-tier Marvel books are ALL double shipped at a minimum (with the exception of Uncanny Avengers currently). Some of the more popular Now titles have been triple shipping.

Anyone have the answer to my earlier question? Is Avengers a double shipped book?
Going just off of solicitations, Avengers is definitely a double-shipping book with 8 issues in four months. New Avengers double-ships its first month, then single for the next two as does Uncanny X-Men. All-New X-Men double-shipped the first three months, then a single, then double-ships again. If Marvel is planning to put out 16-18 issues a year with some of these then there are going to be months where only a single issue comes out.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
New Year and have a urge to read comics. My only real venture was Y the last man. I've already picked up saga and enjoying that so far but also want to read some traditional marvel/dc comics. Preferably would want to jump on a series that's just starting, would the new spiderman work? Any other series have a restart very recently? Also what's considered the best green arrow to read? The new tv series has me curious how off/close they are to the source material.

I was recommended to read

Green Arrow: Year One
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunter
Green Arrow: Quiver

In February Jeff Lemire is taking over as the writer for Green Arrow. He is one of the emerging comic talents at DC/Vertigo. It should be an easy spot to start reading it since he'll been starting his tale on Ollie.

Garryk

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunter

In February Jeff Lemire is taking over as the writer for Green Arrow. He is one of the emerging comic talents at DC/Vertigo. It should be an easy spot to start reading it since he'll been starting his tale on Ollie.

Is Lemire dropping anything to do GA? I haven't been keeping up with DC news lately; are there any more interesting creative change-ups going on? I know that Diggle is taking over Action and Snyder is leaving Swampy.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is Lemire dropping anything to do GA? I haven't been keeping up with DC news lately; are there any more interesting creative change-ups going on? I know that Diggle is taking over Action and Snyder is leaving Swampy.

Well I think Frankenstein got canceled so he isn't doing that. Sweet Tooth is also ending next week. I'm not sure about all of the creative shuffles. Layman I think is doing Detective Comics and I eventually want to check it out since I heard it is better now with him on board.

Nah brah, Ray Fawkes is helping him out on JLD. And last night on twitttter they both announced they are working on a new DC series. And thanks for the concern while I was banned brah.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is Lemire dropping anything to do GA? I haven't been keeping up with DC news lately;

No, Lemire's not dropping Animal Man or Justice League Dark (which he's co-writing with Ray Fawkes). He left Frankenstein earlier in 2012. Sweet Tooth is done and he's no longer got The Underwater Welder as his side project. So he seems to have the time. He'll be beginning his new personal project Trillium late in the year.

Edit: Holy crap, dude's keeping busy.

Lots of exciting new projects in 2013 two new OGNs, A new DC series with @rayfawkes and GREEN ARROW and TRILLIUM!
And he reconfirms that he's not leaving Animal Man or Justice League Dark.

are there any more interesting creative change-ups going on? I know that Diggle is taking over Action and Snyder is leaving Swampy.
Gail Simone is leaving Batgirl. She's being replaced with Gail Simone.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
2013, the year of new sci-fi series:

East of West by Jonathan Hickman*
Lazarus by Greg Rucka
Trillium by Jeff Lemire
The Wake by Scott Snyder

Plus all the continuing sci-fi books coming out of Image nowadays.

*I haven't actually read anything by him yet, but want to try some of his creator-owned stuff.

I've heard of a few of these but I haven't read the plot description yet for any of them yet. I don't get why Snyder puts AV on hold yet he continues to work on more series.

Parch

Sweet Tooth is done? Dang. So much I've been meaning to try, but now that's finished I'll have to hunt down the entire run.

Dan

I've heard of a few of these but I haven't read the plot description yet for any of them yet.

East of West:
The things that divide us are stronger than the things that unite us. A Sci-Fi Western set in a dystopian America where all hope for the future rests in the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...who just happen to be trying to kill the President of the United States.

Lazarus:
Set in a near-future dystopian society where the economic woes of the early 21st century continued, then exploded exponentially, resulting in a world where a handful of Families control everything. Having divvied up the world into their own kingdoms, they now spend their days jealously guarding what they have, and coveting what they do not. But for those living without wealth, collectively referred to by the families as “the Waste,” the future is desperate, with day-to-day survival as much the result of the ruling Families as the weather.
Endeavor Carlyle is the youngest daughter of the near-immortal Carlyle Family. She is their Lazarus, a position common to all the Families: part bodyguard to her family, part intelligence director, part military general, she has been genetically modified to defend the Family at all costs, with unwavering loyalty.
But Endeavor Carlyle is beginning to ask questions, and her Family will do everything they can to keep her from finding the answers….

Trillium:
Described as "The last love story ever told," Trillium is a sci-fi story that alternately takes place 1,784 years in the future and 92 years in the past. In the year 3797, botanist Nika Temsmith is researching a species of strange, plant-based life forms on a science station on the outskirts of colonized space.

Meanwhile, in the year 1921, a war-scarred explorer named William Pike leads an expedition into the jungles of Peru in search for the fabled Lost Temple of The Incas, which is said to have magical healing properties.

Despite being separated by space and time, Nika and William fall in love, and their love leads to the end of the universe.

The Wake
A horror, sci-fi story with post-apocalyptic elemlents that begins with a terrifying discovery about human evolution, and it takes place at the bottom the ocean. It explores sea myths, such as sirens and seas serpents, all the things we are in awe of and terrified of the ocean.

Isak_Borg

Sweet Tooth is done? Dang. So much I've been meaning to try, but now that's finished I'll have to hunt down the entire run.

It's an amazing series, def worth checking out but I would wait to see if DC is going to release hard cover editions since the TPB are kind of crappy and fell apart really fast. I fucking hate DC's trade format. My signed trades of DMZ fell apart after reading them once.

Dan

I don't get why Snyder puts AV on hold yet he continues to work on more series.
Behind the scenes they're not taking much of a break, just a couple months. Part of the reason is to give Snyder some time to get ahead on the other series. Another big element is that Rafael Albuquerque wanted to do more issues and have less fill-ins, so the hiatus is giving him time to get well ahead on art.

The final issue is out this week. 5 trades have been released, the 6th and final one will be out in June.

tim1138

Thanks Spike and Liquid, guess I'll just stick with ANXM and get the Avengers trades from the library when they come out. Double shipping gets too expensive month after month.

BENDIS on 2013
Well before you know it… Uncanny X-Men number one will hit the stands and it will be very interesting to see people’s reactions to the very last page. Everyone involved believes we’ve opened up a whole new world to the X-Men by going down this road.

And right after that will be Guardians of the Galaxy. Such a gorgeous book. You guys have seen some of the art already and knjow what I’m talking about. I just got a letter from Steve Mcniven the other day expressing his affection for what he’s drawing. Every writer’s dream.

Then right after that we have the epic Marvel disaster movie in the form of a 10 part almost weekly comic… Age of Ultron. We’ve been crafting this one for years to accommodate Bryan Hitch’s unique schedule and it was all worth it. Again there is artwork out there so many of you, or some of you, know what I’m talking about. But I think it’s around issue five and six where you’ll be hearing a lot of noise about this book. And as I said in many interviews, no one, and I mean no one will guess this ending. Only like five people in the whole world know about this ending. Good friends of mine who I work closely with don’t know about this. The artists on the book don’t even know!!

Also hinted at Heros for hire with like deodato

2013 is going to be the year of Bendis. Hope this bub can elevate the GotG and not be another Moon Night. Can't wait for Heroes for Hire later this year. Hope Deadato doesn't bring that awful colorist with him. And for Bendis to integrate Brilliant and Powers into the Marvel U. Your my boy brah.

Bendis is hit or miss for me but I have to see, I'm REALLY liking All New X-Men so far. So I'm anticipating more of it as well as Uncanny. Going to be interesting to see which route they go to get out of the current debacle.

It'll be interesting to read the creative hoop-jumping used to justify All New X-Men as anything more than a miniseries. I'm excited for Uncanny X-Men though. Hope Bendis takes it seriously.

Satch

Banned
is the situation comic on comixology because if it is i will buy it and review it for comic gaf's entertainment

i will make that sacrifice

edit: god fuck its actually on here what the fuck am i doing

Vee_One

is the situation comic on comixology because if it is i will buy it and review it for comic gaf's entertainment

You're taking one for the team

Viewt

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

Really anything from the Mike Grell run is staggeringly good. I picked up a chunk of it from the Comixology sale a couple months back and it blew me away. I really wish the complete run was available somewhere. Right now you can pretty much only get The Longbow Hunters and the Shado arcs.

i expect a quality review satch
4CkRH.gif

"The Situation' is about three brothers who fight, just like brothers always do. The story takes place when three people from the same family, including Mike "The Situation", take a different approach to life. Mike uses his powers to protect people from others (his brothers) trying to take advantage of them - all while looking good doing it. However, despite all their conflict, they're family, and family always comes first. Let Mike "The Situation" take us on his James Bond meets the Sopranos adventure including good guys, bad guys, heroes, anti-heroes, explosions and of course, girls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom