• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yap, gonna give all of them a shot. Got a plot description of Remenders Low too?

I do not. I'd never heard of it until it coming up earlier in the thread, and my searching indicates there's no real information, just promo art. It seems all of that is collected here on Remender's site.

How is sweet tooth?

I love it. It's very much like The Road, if the kid lost his father right away, then add the fantasy/sci-fi element of the hybrid children. Lemire does a brilliant job of getting inside these vulnerable characters, and his artwork is a great fit. Everything's a little sketchy, a little frail. If these characters sat still for too long and let their emotions take focus in their mind, they'd crumble.

So are all the NOW announcements done?

----

And Comicvine has an early review of New Avengers up. Some people are irritated because of the Panther focus. I'm only that much more hyped.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So are all the NOW announcements done?

----

And Comicvine has an early review of New Avengers up. Some people are irritated because of the Panther focus. I'm only that much more hyped.

There still might be a Heroes for Higher that hasn't been officially announced yet.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Young Avengers #2 preview (w/ Stephanie Hans variant!). Couldn't be more excited about a comic book series if it came with a free lapdance voucher.

UFQQq.jpg
lIlAn.jpg

vjpND.jpg
LTV86.jpg

sjoxX.jpg

Yes, yes it is.
It's bad enough DC is charging 3.99 for flagship books, but at least they're only once a month commitments and have backup stories.

But no digital copies, right? I tried one issue of that Batman Deathing The Family thing but couldn't bring myself to spend $4 without a digital copy. I'd rather have a backup to the cloud than a backup story nahmean

But no digital copies, right? I tried one issue of that Batman Deathing The Family thing but couldn't bring myself to spend $4 without a digital copy. I'd rather have a backup to the cloud than a backup story nahmean

For those of us that only get digital, it's only that copy we care about. It's about page count in the end.

Especially if you can wait the month for things that aren't must have.

$3.99 plus double ship is shameful, and counter-productive for the growth of comics.

akira28

Young Avengers? No Patriot, no sale.

also, what have they done, shrunk Marvel Boy back down again? And what the hell, Kid Loki?

BLAARGH

(also, what happened with MB coming from a universe 10000x more advanced than ours? So much so that he almost took over the planet on his own as an afterthought, with some phermones and some prison convicts? this dude is the ultimate nerf ball.)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Young Avengers? No Patriot, no sale.

also, what have they done, shrunk Marvel Boy back down again? And what the hell, Kid Loki?

BLAARGH

(also, what happened with MB coming from a universe 10000x more advanced than ours? So much so that he almost took over the planet on his own as an afterthought, with some phermones and some prison convicts? this dude is the ultimate nerf ball.)

Patriot is in a bat outta hell mini to rescue Alex wilder

I hope this post is appropriate for this thread. I was debating whether it would better suit the 'Buy/Sell/Trade' thread but I wasn't sure if ComicGAF would check that regularly. I have a question for Marvel readers. I'm looking to form an on-going partnership for digital codes/copies of Marvel Now titles. These are the titles I'm interested in:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Superior Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Men

I can happily pay $1 USD (negotiable) monthly upfront, or as each issue releases via Paypal. Is there anyone who might be interested in pursuing such a venture? If so, please PM me. :)

On another note, I'm debating purchasing the Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft 'Special Edition' hardcover. Does anyone here happen to own this edition? I love Locke & Key. I actually own the first five volumes in hardcover and digital format. I'm just wondering if the 'special edition' is comparable to an 'omnibus' style edition and how the print quality compares to the standard hardcover editions.

Haven't had a chance to read children's crusade yet but Heinberg's initial run was one of the best titles of the past decade

CC suffered because of its extended delayed schedule, but when read all at once it's no where near as bad as they're saying.

I liked it far more when reading it all at once. Much better than Fear Itself, AvX, or Siege IMO.

CC got butchered due to the delays. Pick up the trade and read it together. Much better.

Also YA looks awesome. And you dare doubt Miss Chavez? WTF. Also her and Marvel boy together gonna be funny.

But yeah so looking forward to it.

CC got butchered due to the delays. Pick up the trade and read it together. Much better.

Also YA looks awesome. And you dare doubt Miss Chavez? WTF. Also her and Marvel boy together gonna be funny.

But yeah so looking forward to it.

Young Avengers is Marvel's best book. It just hasn't been released yet. Doubters be damned.

tim1138

Like Kryptonian said, when you only buy digital the codes are no incentive. I'm pretty sure a handful of DC books come with codes, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

I'll begrudgingly fork over 3.99 for a book, but I better get a higher page count and the knowledge that it will be a $4 investment per month, not $8 or $12 or whatever insane schedule Marvel is going to release with.

Huh. Looks like Talon darling, James Tynion IV is snagging Red Hood from Londell.

As much shit as the first tissue drew, I thought the book was a quality read, and the art was excellent. Kori more than proved herself as capable warrior through the series. I think Tynion has proven himself in a short time, so I look forward to more good issues. I wonder who will be pencilling?

not $8 or $12 or whatever insane schedule Marvel is going to release with.

Why are people against more comics?

As far as it "damaging the industry" I'd be willing to bet all the money in my pocket against all the money in your pocket that without double shipping, Marvel would be bankrupt right now.

As far as it "damaging the industry" I'd be willing to bet all the money in my pocket against all the money in your pocket that without double shipping, Marvel would be bankrupt right now.

People don't have unlimited resources every month. And if Marvel's biz plan requires double shipping when no one else's does, they need to go bankrupt. I wholly doubt that it's true anyway.

It's damaging the industry because new readers cannot or will not afford double shipping when getting into the hobby. Hell, I'm a huge fan and I'm not giving them the extra dollar on most of their double ship books. They simply are not worth $8 a month.

There's plenty of other books out there that aren't forcing me to buy twice a month.

People don't have unlimited resources every month. And if Marvel's biz plan requires double shipping when no one else's does, they need to go bankrupt. I wholly doubt that it's true anyway.

It's damaging the industry because new readers cannot or will not afford double shipping when getting into the hobby.

Sure. That's why comics are unable to garner new readers. That's why the Top 50 sellers are flooded with DC's single shipping books, and Marvel's are relegated to the bottom 200 or whatever, and why DC's top selling books regularly burst through the wall of 150-200k that has been the ceiling of comic book sales for the past, what, decade?

Oh, wait, hang on, none of that ever happens.

It's fine if you don't want to pay more, but I can't get behind this idea that it's getting in the way of sales in any kind of fact-driven manner, when it hasn't helped DC break through the piddling sales ceiling that every non-Pretty-Pony comic released in ten years has been languishing under. If somehow it kept Marvel books from charting in any kind of significant way, I'd believe you, but it doesn't.

tim1138

I dunno about you, but I don't have an unlimited comics budget so I'm always looking to maximize my entertainment dollar. The $16 commitment to two Marvel books would let me try check out four other books. And when there's stuff in the pipelines like Trillium and East of West, I'd much rather give books like that my money.

I'm not against more comics at all, that's my whole point-I want more for my money.

I dunno about you, but I don't have an unlimited comics budget so I'm always looking to maximize my entertainment dollar. The $16 commitment to two Marvel books would let me try check out four other books. And when there's stuff in the pipelines like Trillium and East of West, I'd much rather give books like that my money.

I'm not against more comics at all, that's my whole point-I want more for my money.

I don't have a budget, per se, I just don't have as much patience for garbage as I used to, which keeps my costs low. But generally, my philosophy is "If it's good, buy it." not "If it's good, and also a certain price, buy it."

tim1138

Am I ever gonna be sad to see Batman, Inc end later this year. It's such a fun book month in and month out, I doubt there will ever be another run on Batman as good as Morrison's has been to me.

Gazunta

(I hope I'm posting this in the right thread...I really enjoy lurking in the comic megathreads but I haven't read ASM 700 yet so I'm trying to not get spoiled)

Just wondering if you guys might have some advice...

A local library has hired me to teach kids how to draw a comic book cover next weekend. Any of you guys have any suggestions on what to...uh...cover? It's only an hour and a half (and most of that time will be spent with the kids drawing) so it won't be going into crazy detail, but I figure I'll show some classic covers, point out what works (strong logo, clear image of the main character doing their thing, dynamic poses, a story hook...)...but any suggestions you have would be neat as hell.

Thanks!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
(I hope I'm posting this in the right thread...I really enjoy lurking in the comic megathreads but I haven't read ASM 700 yet so I'm trying to not get spoiled)

A local library has hired me to teach kids how to draw a comic book cover next weekend. Any of you guys have any suggestions on what to...uh...cover? It's only an hour and a half (and most of that time will be spent with the kids drawing) so it won't be going into crazy detail, but I figure I'll show some classic covers, point out what works (strong logo, clear image of the main character doing their thing, dynamic poses, a story hook...)...but any suggestions you have would be neat as hell.

Thanks!

Well they're kids so no matter what you do they're going to be bad at it so you might as well fuck with em.

Aiii

So not worth it
Don't come here alot, but I'm so excited for Invincible #100 this month I just had to come in here and well, be excited!

the chris

Thanks!

This X-Men cover has always struck me as great, especially the integration of the title into the piece.
QhiJq.jpg

Fantastic Four #01 is also a great example as it has all four of the main characters using their respective different powers.
O7RCv.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Show'em Amazing Fantasy 1. Perfect cover art for teaching this.

Action, Story bit, main character and his powers displayed, curiosity makes you want to read it.

LiQuid!

Kids can't draw that shit.

Real talk just do Action number 1. Any kid can shit out a picture of a stick figure chucking a car.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Thanks!
If it doesn't need to be a classic or superhero one, maybe consider something that will level with them more like the Adventure Time comic covers. They're very dynamic and can range from simple to detailed, but all of them would work within the other criteria you mentioned and would be enjoyable for a kid trying to draw.

http://www.boom-studios.com/series/title?series_id=769&name=Adventure Time

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just getting Talon and Hellboy in Hell today.

Double shipping prevents me from buying titles I want to read since I can't afford to buy something that regularly double shipping. The release schedule for some of the Marvel NOW titles is ridiculous. You can't say that double shipping has no effect on the sales numbers of titles that do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom