• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

half of me is hyped about the new batman game, especially since it's on ps4, the other half of me is tired of batman games since i didn't even bother finishing Batman Arkham Origins and City's rooftop snipers were so annoying.

I think you should read those 16 issues because it will turn you to the dark side, embracing the power of hate in the world of comic books. Your desire to learn about ancillary characters will lead you on a terrifying trip to the depths of your own soul. Messi knows, he read Catwoman.

edit: Also because I'm not all bitchbitchbitch, HOW FUCKING GOOD IS DAREDEVIL? I thought you simps were talking bollocks but finally got the first HC. Holy shitballs that's amazing. The Rivera art reminds me a lot of Tim Sale but with an idea of anatomy and I'm super impressed how Waid and co manage to treat Matt's powers with a degree of originality. Such a great run, I think I might like this even more than the Bendis Maleev run and that's legendary!

Depends on the book/sales I think. My reading of it is that if DC thinks they can wheedle a few extra bucks out of the fanbase they will try to, but sometimes they'll hedge their bets and go right to softcover.

Marvel OTOH will try to screw fans out of money at every opportunity - hence bullshit 4 issue hardcovers for $20.

As others have said, do not read any nu52 GA outside of the Lemire run. It will make Cable look like Shakespeare I'm sure of it.

Yeah, I want to start his run with volume 4, it's just that I greatly prefer hardcover. Only smaller hardcover I remember recently was the new 52 batman.

An omnibus isn't even guaranteed. Smaller, less-popular stuff only ever gets a paperback.

I didn't mean to imply it was guaranteed but rather that if they would make a hardcover, it would only be in a larger collection such as an omnibus.

SoilBreak

Banned
For the source image, its promotional artwork from for the terrible Avengers Assemble cartoon:
vATeKWt.jpg

Not sure if an artist was ever listed.
It looks like Pacheco's artwork.

tim1138

Children of the Brood is from... 2011 or so, I think? It's from Astonishing X-Men. I do have an Essential X-Men volume with the Dark Phoenix Saga, though. :)

Aren't those Essential books in B&W? Get the actual tpb for Dark Phoenix, John Byrne's art needs to be seen in full color. Also pick up Days of Future Past and God Loves, Man Kills to round out the Claremont goodness. I used to love the X-Tinction Agenda story but I haven't read it in ages so I can't say how it holds up. There's also Inferno, Mutant Massacre, and Fall of the Mutants from Claremont.

Once you hit the 90s, it gets iffy. I have no idea how X-Cutioners Saga, Bishop's Crossing, Wedding of Cyke and Jean, and Fatal Attractions would hold up to someone who isn't full of nostalgia because they were reading the books at that time. So that whole era is really YMMV.

Morrison's New X-Men is god tier and shouldn't be missed.

Aren't those Essential books in B&W? Get the actual tpb for Dark Phoenix, John Byrne's art needs to be seen in full color. Also pick up Days of Future Past and God Loves, Man Kills to round out the Claremont goodness. I used to love the X-Tinction Agenda story but I haven't read it in ages so I can't say how it holds up. There's also Inferno, Mutant Massacre, and Fall of the Mutants from Claremont.

Once you hit the 90s, it gets iffy. I have no idea how X-Cutioners Saga, Bishop's Crossing, Wedding of Cyke and Jean, and Fatal Attractions would hold up to someone who isn't full of nostalgia because they were reading the books at that time. So that whole era is really YMMV.

Thanks for the recs - I'll try to grab colour versions of Dark Phoenix/Days of Future Past, and I'll definitely check out New X-Men.

It's good except for the last section where he's clearly drunk...

Did anyone read Eric Stephenson's address at the COMICSPRO conference? THIS is the stuff that gets me excited and proud to be a comic book reader. Couldn't agree with the guy more. An attitude like that is infectious and is exactly what the industry needs.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some super-hero comics are great, and I read my fair share, but I do think focusing on new, original content is what will get the readers in the door long term. It's what got me in the door.

http://comicsalliance.com/image-publisher-eric-stephenson-comicspro-transcript-speech-2014/

Truth bombs were dropped.

Here are some of the best excerpts for the lazy:

Every publisher here talks to your counterparts in the bookstore market, and do you know what they’re telling us? They’re telling us graphic novels are one of the only categories of print publishing that is growing.

----

One of the first things we need to do is stop looking at the comics market as the “big two” or the “big three.” There are only two kinds of comics that matter: good comics and bad comics. Everything else should be irrelevant.
-----

So stop letting publishers lie to you and deceive you and your readers so they can prop up their position in this industry in their craven attempts to appease shareholders.

That may help them in the short-term, and maybe it puts an extra couple coins in your change purse at the end of the week, but the reality of the situation is they have literally everything BUT your best interests at heart.

It starts with bi-weekly and weekly shipping and it extends into pricing. Are $4.99 and $7.99 comics going to help our industry in the long run? No, but they sure help the bottom line at the end of the year.

-----

Constantly re-launching, re-numbering, and re-booting series after series, staging contrived events designed to appeal to a demographic destined only to a slow march toward attrition, and pretending that endless waves of nostalgia for old movies, old toys, old cartoons, and old video games somehow equals ideas or innovation will not make us stronger. Nostalgia has its place, and I’ll admit, there can be a certain sepia-toned appeal to fondly looking back on our younger, more innocent days, but if we want this industry to outlive us, we have to start looking at things like grown ups.

-----

This is the comic book industry, not the superhero industry, and if we want to stick around for the long haul, we need to recognize that and capitalize on that, because as much as I fond as I am of the superhero comics I read when I was younger, the full scope of what comics are and what comics can be is what will ultimately bring the world into your stores.

Right now, the fastest growing demographic for Image Comics, and I’m willing to speculate, for the entire industry, is women.

For years, I’ve listened to people talk about bringing more women into the marketplace. Over the last few years, with your help, we’ve been doing exactly that.

You’ve seen the audience that’s building up around SAGA. You’ve seen how female readers respond to books like SEX CRIMINALS, LAZARUS, VELVET, PRETTY DEADLY, ROCKET GIRL, and RAT QUEENS, and one of our best-received announcements at Image Expo was Kelly Sue DeConnick’s new series BITCH PLANET.

We’re not the first to put out material that appealed to women – there’s a whole roomful of incredible people I wouldn’t be able to look in the eye if I made that kind of ludicrous claim – but I think we are among a select group in this industry who realize that there’s more to gain from broadening our horizons than by remaining staunchly beholden to the shrinking fan base that is supposedly excited about sequels to decrepit old crossovers like SECRET WARS II.

It is comics like SAGA that get new readers in your door. I know this, because I have met SAGA readers. They read SAGA, they read RACHEL RISING, they read Julia Wertz, they read FABLES, they read Nicole Georges and Kate Beaton, they read Hope Larson, Jeffrey Brown, and LOVE & ROCKETS…

-----

There is a vast and growing readership out there that is excited about discovering comic books, but as long as we continue to present comics to the world in the Biff Bang Pow! context of Marvel and DC, with shop windows full of pictures of Spider-Man and Superman, we will fail to reach it.

The biggest problem with comic books is that even now, even after all the amazing progress we’ve made as an industry over the last 20 years, the vast majority of people have no idea whatsoever about how much the comics medium has to offer. As an industry, we still cling to the shortsighted and mistaken notion that presenting ourselves to the world as Marvel and DC, as superhero movies, is the key to reaching a wider audience, and it’s just not.

People know what Spider-Man is. People know what Superman is. They know Batman. They know the X-Men. And you know what? They’ve already made their mind up about that stuff, and that’s why the success of those movies has yet to translate into an avalanche of readers into our industry.

I can't get over how good the CincyComiCon guest list is.

Matt Fraction
Rob Guillory
Jeremy Haun
Phil Hester
Dennis Hopeless
Tony Millionare
Tony Moore
Phil Noto
Ryan Stegman
Skottie Young
Chip Zdarsky
Mike Norton
Tim Seely

Wow.

tim1138

Thanks for the recs - I'll try to grab colour versions of Dark Phoenix/Days of Future Past, and I'll definitely check out New X-Men.

There is also the Age of Apocalypse stuff from the mid 90s, but I can't speak its quality. I had bowed out of the X-Men books by that point and have never gone back to read it.

Truth bombs were dropped.

Here are some of the best excerpts for the lazy:

That whole speech is garbage bullshit.

I went from GI Joe Transformers to Dark Phoenix Saga to Cerebus to Maus to Jimmy Corrigan. Anyone who wants to shut down ANY type of comics is wrongheaded and creatively blind.

This talk about CincyComicon got me curious what ComicCon is around me. I've never been to one,, So now I am planning on buying tickets to the C2E2, Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo...

..It's almost overwhelming, what should I expect? Is it expensive or hard to get commissions or autographs??
Suggestions of things I should try to do? panel screening or whatever? idk where to start lol. I'll probably only go for one day (Saturday).

Any tips/help/suggestions/discussions would be awesome,, thanks

This talk about CincyComicon got me curious what ComicCon is around me. I've never been to one,, So now I am planning on buying tickets to the C2E2, Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo...

..It's almost overwhelming, what should I expect? Is it expensive or hard to get commissions or autographs??
Suggestions of things I should try to do? panel screening or whatever? idk where to start lol. I'll probably only go for one day (Saturday).

Some people make you pay for sketches, most don't. Commissions are almost always something you have to pay for.

You should just check the schedule for things to do. It really depends on what you're into and what type of events they have going on. Every Con is a bit different.

Owzers

I went from GI Joe Transformers to Dark Phoenix Saga to Cerebus to Maus to Jimmy Corrigan. Anyone who wants to shut down ANY type of comics is wrongheaded and creatively blind.

I was nodding my head with a lot of his talk, but i don't see a reason to disparage comics based off of old intellectual properties, especially if they are good. The speech sounded like a call to retailers of " hey guys, there are these comics out there that aren't from dc and marvel, or based on gi joes, and people like them if they read them. Maybe you should talk to people about them instead of how Future's End is a weekly shipping book that will CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER." Image used to be the publisher i bought Walking Dead and Invincible from....now they are a large chunk of my comic buying and awareness.

I love your dismissive response, backed up by such strong anecdotal evidence. Your comic experience does not extrapolate to the industry at large.

He never says to shut down any type of comic. I'm not sure what you're reading.

He does say that those types of comics (the TV/film tie-ins, the creatively bankrupt licensed stuff, etc.) can be bad for the industry as a whole. The Avengers movie may have made umpteen hundreds of million of dollars, but it didn't create a new generation of comic readers. Comic sales numbers support his claim.

His central argument is two-fold:

1) Marketing the same old superhero stories hasn't brought new readers into the fold or grown the industry. Those keep appealing to the people they've always appealed to, but overall sales and readership levels are on a downward slope. No amount of adding a new #1 issue launching point, or putting gimmicky 3D covers out will change that.

2) Creative, original stories DO bring more readers into the fold. He cites The Walking Dead and Saga as two clearcut examples (admittedly, comics published by his company). Not only have those series done gangbusters in terms of sales, but they've also brought in an healthy influx of female readers. Say what you want about those series (I personally love Saga and am indifferent to The Walking Dead), but the numbers and demographics are real.

Image used to be the publisher i bought Walking Dead and Invincible from....now they are a large chunk of my comic buying and awareness.

Doesn't that at least tangentially prove his point? People are more interested in original, creative stories than rehashes.

I went from 0% Image to 95% Image in the past year. I was out of comics for years and they were a big part of bringing me back into the fold. I don't dislike superheroes in the slightest. I'm a big fan of what Marvel is doing with Daredevil and Hawkeye...you know, writing good, creative stories?

I think you should read those 16 issues because it will turn you to the dark side, embracing the power of hate in the world of comic books. Your desire to learn about ancillary characters will lead you on a terrifying trip to the depths of your own soul. Messi knows, he read Catwoman.

It's not my soul I'm worried about, it's my free time!

You are missing absolutely nothing. Keep reading to find out about Roy and Diggle.

Excellent...

Yes, basically. Henry and Naomi together are sort of Felicity

Diggle is a recent addition because of his popularity on the show. Roy and Ollies history hasn't been gone into as much, there is a small bit, but we've gotten more in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Part of me hates the whole new 52 wiping away all continuity, but another part is kind of interested in learning about all the revised history.

Guys guys guys. Harley is playable in the new Arkham game. In the challenge maps. This makes me stupidly excited. Also looks like she has a new outfit.

I'm torn about this, because I don't want to get a new next gen system right away, but it would bother me to buy an lesser version of this game on current gen systems. If only I knew that the Wii U version wouldn't get screwed, I could just get that.

Opened my Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes Gravity Feed; On to the actual booster bricks soon.

Are there more Heroclix fans out there? I play at local tournaments a few times a month and it is a fantastic game. At one point I had basically every figure ever created, but now only get boosters during sealed events. The amount of product coming out is crazy and of high quality.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Good catch!

Booo to companies not crediting artists!

Its especially weird since the Avengers Assemble comic version of the show has lots of the promo artwork used as covers but seemingly no Cover credits:
RInm4Bn.jpg

Probably as others say its Pacheko, but who knowsssss.

I love your dismissive response, backed up by such strong anecdotal evidence. Your comic experience does not extrapolate to the industry at large.

He never says to shut down any type of comic. I'm not sure what you're reading.

He does say that those types of comics (the TV/film tie-ins, the creatively bankrupt licensed stuff, etc.) can be bad for the industry as a whole. The Avengers movie may have made umpteen hundreds of million of dollars, but it didn't create a new generation of comic readers. Comic sales numbers support his claim.

His central argument is two-fold:

1) Marketing the same old superhero stories hasn't brought new readers into the fold or grown the industry. Those keep appealing to the people they've always appealed to, but overall sales and readership levels are on a downward slope. No amount of adding a new #1 issue launching point, or putting gimmicky 3D covers out will change that.

2) Creative, original stories DO bring more readers into the fold. He cites The Walking Dead and Saga as two clearcut examples (admittedly, comics published by his company). Not only have those series done gangbusters in terms of sales, but they've also brought in an healthy influx of female readers. Say what you want about those series (I personally love Saga and am indifferent to The Walking Dead), but the numbers and demographics are real.

You're conveniently jumping over the part where he dismisses licensed comics as not "real" comics. That's utter grotesque nonsense. Ryan North's work on Adventure Time isn't "real" comics? What planet are we on right now???

Comics as an industry needs more of the diversity it already has, without a doubt. But it doesn't need to come at the expense of the gateways it already provides to young readers who come in through licensed comics. And the idea that superhero comics are incapable of providing stories of a caliber of the best creator owned work is just objectively wrong. He doesn't go so far as to say those aren't "real" comics, but he comes pretty close.

I was dismissive because that kind of genre-based stratifying of what's already the smallest, least revenue generating creative medium on Earth deserves about four syllables of my attention and if any energy is expended on it it should be to type up, print out, and then set fire to it.

You're conveniently jumping over the part where he dismisses licensed comics as not "real" comics. That's utter grotesque nonsense. Ryan North's work on Adventure Time isn't "real" comics? What planet are we on right now???

Comics as an industry needs more of the diversity it already has, without a doubt. But it doesn't need to come at the expense of the gateways it already provides to young readers who come in through licensed comics. And the idea that superhero comics are incapable of providing stories of a caliber of the best creator owned work is just objectively wrong. He doesn't go so far as to say those aren't "real" comics, but he comes pretty close.

I was dismissive because that kind of genre-based stratifying of what's already the smallest, least revenue generating creative medium on Earth deserves about four syllables of my attention and if any energy is expended on it it should be to type up, print out, and then set fire to it.
Goddam Benji, so much truth. Image is pretty myopic in their own right. Where are their comedy comics? Their all ages comics? Their sports comics? For comedy they got Chew and Pretty Deadly. All ages you get Sper Dinosaur once Kirkman has to stay a little while longer on yhe toilet. No Matt Christophers in comics, so no sports comics. I will define all three comics genres. He Is Risen #freerafa #thenextcomicssuperstarisawalmartsuperstar

I think the "real" claim comes from the fact that those audiences weren't drawn to the property via the comics, but that instead most of those licensed comics are cheap cash-ins on existing intellectual properties. He is arguing that you won't expand your reading audience by publishing Transformers or Star Wars tie-ins, but by supporting and publishing new intellectual properties. I don't agree with his sentiment that those licensed comics aren't "real," but they certainly don't appeal to me.

As you've agreed, expanding out the diversity of the industry is crucial to its future. That is the crux of what Stephenson said. Another Spider-Man #1 isn't going to bring in a rush of new readers. Saga has. From a store owner's standpoint (his intended audience), encouraging more of the latter is important to keeping the business alive.

Goddam Benji, so much truth. Image is pretty myopic in their own right. Where are their comedy comics? Their all ages comics? Their sports comics? For comedy they got Chew and Pretty Deadly. All ages you get Sper Dinosaur once Kirkman has to stay a little while longer on yhe toilet. No Matt Christophers in comics, so no sports comics. I will define all three comics genres. He Is Risen #freerafa #thenextcomicssuperstarisawalmartsuperstar

So we need more sports comedy comics intended for an all ages audience? Get on it. I'll buy your comic.

I think the "real" claim comes from the fact that those audiences weren't drawn to the property via the comics, but that instead most of those licensed comics are cheap cash-ins on existing intellectual properties. He is arguing that you won't expand your reading audience by publishing Transformers or Star Wars tie-ins, but by supporting and publishing new intellectual properties. I don't agree with his sentiment that those licensed comics aren't "real," but they certainly don't appeal to me.

As you've agreed, expanding out the diversity of the industry is crucial to its future. That is the crux of what Stephenson said. Another Spider-Man #1 isn't going to bring in a rush of new readers. Saga has. From a store owner's standpoint (his intended audience), encouraging more of the latter is important to keeping the business alive.

I still disagree with that core argument/idea. A Spider-Man #1 does appeal to some segment of new readership. Saga appeals to another. My Little Pony appeals to a third. There's room (and desperate need) for all of them and more.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
There is also the Age of Apocalypse stuff from the mid 90s, but I can't speak its quality. I had bowed out of the X-Men books by that point and have never gone back to read it.

I just wanted to say that Age of Apocalypse introduced me to Scott Lobdell. He's going on being a triple-decade hack at this point, which is really impressive.

tim1138

I just wanted to say that Age of Apocalypse introduced me to Scott Lobdell. He's going on being a triple-decade hack at this point, which is really impressive.

He was the "mastermind" behind Fatal Attractions and X-Cutioner's Song as well. It feels like at one point in the early 90s the only X book he didn't write was X-Force. It's amazing he has stuck around so long.

So we need more sports comedy comics intended for an all ages audience? Get on it. I'll buy your comic.
I conquer all three genres separately. I want to write for Image, DC Marvel, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Zenescope, Avatar and Aspen comics simultaneously. #walmartworkethicstrongerthandrugsandtriangles #puttinmomnpopouttashop #rafaisrisen

Scott Lobdell is one of comic's top writers. You need to read his better work like The Adventures of Cyclops & Pheonix and his run on Generation X

Also, if this won't expand comics' audience, shut down comics:
http://comicsalliance.com/tom-scioli-transformersg-i-joe-crossover-idw-nycc-2013/

Someone explain to me why this is such a big deal?

Cth

It is comics like SAGA that get new readers in your door. I know this, because I have met SAGA readers. They read SAGA, they read RACHEL RISING, they read Julia Wertz, they read FABLES, they read Nicole Georges and Kate Beaton, they read Hope Larson, Jeffrey Brown, and LOVE & ROCKETS…

Basically, finite series, which is good for publishers but not so much the retailer market.

Which leaves the bookstores (who are dying as well)

There's room for both, but finite series like manga, tend to be popular but when they wrap, cause mini-implosions.

Which again, is great if the goal is to kill off the comic store as it currently exists (many will argue it needs to be done either way). The trouble comes with stores like Borders and the sort closing up shop. If more fans embraced the digital model, maybe it wouldn't be as bad.

I agree though, less "things are never going to be the same forever"/events (even TWD is guilty of that lately).. I disagree about the relaunch thing however, as that's the only way the big two will remain relevant as things move towards the season/manga/collected volume format.

Basically, finite series, which is good for publishers but not so much the retailer market.

Which leaves the bookstores (who are dying as well)

There's room for both, but finite series like manga, tend to be popular but when they wrap, cause mini-implosions.

Which again, is great if the goal is to kill off the comic store as it currently exists (many will argue it needs to be done either way). The trouble comes with stores like Borders and the sort closing up shop. If more fans embraced the digital model, maybe it wouldn't be as bad.

I agree though, less "things are never going to be the same forever"/events (even TWD is guilty of that lately).. I disagree about the relaunch thing however, as that's the only way the big two will remain relevant as things move towards the season/manga/collected volume format.

Good observations.

I don't think the finite stuff hurts the retail market any more than the monthlies do...it all comes down to quality. People aren't buying crappy monthlies that are intended to go on forever. How many of the original 52 are still around? DC is a giant Batman factory because he sells, but even the most die-hard Bat fan has to be growing tired of the same old, same old. How far off are we from seeing the equivalent of the 90s Marvel X-mania business, where saturation and poor quality hurt the industry?

The elephant in the room remains the transition to digital comics. It's the next logical step in the industry, and makes perfect sense as the way ahead. I purchase 100% digitally, but I find the idea of dropping $3.99 on a non-physical copy to be a bit off-putting. If the big players embrace digital fully in the future, they can cut out huge expenditures in the printing process. Will that result in dropping the cost of the digital copies by a dollar or two? Unlikely, since they'll just milk it as a means of maximizing profits, but I'm not convinced the pricing should be the same.

The digital future certainly would give comic shops a big reason for concern, just like Amazon is killing off Borders (as you mentioned). Sadly, that's just the way industries usually go. Slow and steady changes can eventually render certain retailers redundant. Focusing on selling more TPBs may alleviate that somewhat, but unless they're competing with IST it won't stop the bleeding.

Relaunching individual issues does make sense as a hopping on point OR if they're trying to launch the characters in a completely different direction. Relaunching just to get more #1s on the shelves does not. Looking over a bunch of these new Marvel Now #1s, it seems like the balance is weighted more heavily towards the latter. A new volume of Ms Marvel with the same writer after the previous one was cancelled? Why? A new #1 for Waid's Daredevil when the only significant change will be the background setting? Why? Those types of moves seem short-sighted and pointless.

Owzers

If people start getting into comics because of Saga or some other singular title, then in theory it should be easier to get them to try something else. As long as good comics keep coming out, there should be a "next" book to start reading if Saga ends, but more likely while Saga is still going. How many new GAF members have fallen prey to ever expanding buy lists?

Cth

If people start getting into comics because of Saga or some other singular title, then in theory it should be easier to get them to try something else. As long as good comics keep coming out, there should be a "next" book to start reading if Saga ends, but more likely while Saga is still going. How many new GAF members have fallen prey to ever expanding buy lists?

That's why I think the renumbering thing is a necessary evil.

These mostly mythical new readers are not going to jump onto issue 300+ of something generally.. the illusion of being able to get up to speed (or at least getting a trade and catching up on some issues) is what they need to remain competitive as publishers like IDW and Image grow.

As far as comic shops go, they definitely need to evolve or die. Hopefully the majority of them won't "merge" with other insular niche markets (cards, gaming, etc) and branch out into things like the cafes, internet access, etc.

Shops need to try new things and experiment a bit, IMO.

For years I've pushed for a Netflix type program (implementing it with one online comic shop I helped run for a while) .. Basically, having a TPB library that can be borrowed to get readers up to speed on longer running series (allowing them the option to purchase said book at a discount if they really liked it and wanted a discounted version / alternately getting them a new tpb at a discount) By allowing readers to expand into non-traditional books (NBM, Fantagraphics, Oni, etc) at a low cost, retailers can expand into new markets with a lower investment cost (those publishers provided us comp copies to participate in the program)

As far as digital comics go, it still boggles me why we don't have something like that available on our consoles. Say what you will about Kinect but it'd be kind of fun to "turn pages" and pinch/enlarge motions for panels (even voice commands). Or something like the WiiU's gamepad allowing you to read on the TV and take the book with you throughout the house. MiiVerse communities launching directly from the book themselves. Subscription models, etc, etc.

Fundamentally, that's what Stephenson was saying. Quality books bring in new readers. Now the publishers and retailers need to keep putting out high quality books and marketing them (instead of publishing another Spider-Man #1).

I was a big 90s comic book fan. I was in my teens and didn't have the most discerning taste, but I had 3-4 subscriptions going at any one time. I stopped reading comics in 1996, and didn't pick it back up until the over a decade later.

The books that got me back into comics? Y: The Last Man. Fables. Ex Machina. I have the full runs of each of those, and am always looking for the next quality title along those lines. (I don't care that comicsGAF doesn't like Fables...it's awesome!)

Right now, that title is Saga (yes, I'm a Brian K. Vaughan fanboy). Locke and Key was insanely good, and I purchased the entire run. There are several other Image titles comic out each month that probably won't hit the level of those two, but they're defnitely proving to be worth the money. Black Science, Rat Queens, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, and Deadly Class, to name a few. I have high hopes for Chew and The Manhattan Projects.

I love Marvel comics like Daredevil and Hawkeye, but neither they nor DC are putting out anything as creative or diverse as the current Image line. I realize that's purely a taste issue, but what they offer matches up more closely to my interests.

Good observations.

I don't think the finite stuff hurts the retail market any more than the monthlies do...it all comes down to quality. People aren't buying crappy monthlies that are intended to go on forever. How many of the original 52 are still around? DC is a giant Batman factory because he sells, but even the most die-hard Bat fan has to be growing tired of the same old, same old. How far off are we from seeing the equivalent of the 90s Marvel X-mania business, where saturation and poor quality hurt the industry?

The elephant in the room remains the transition to digital comics. It's the next logical step in the industry, and makes perfect sense as the way ahead. I purchase 100% digitally, but I find the idea of dropping $3.99 on a non-physical copy to be a bit off-putting. If the big players embrace digital fully in the future, they can cut out huge expenditures in the printing process. Will that result in dropping the cost of the digital copies by a dollar or two? Unlikely, since they'll just milk it as a means of maximizing profits, but I'm not convinced the pricing should be the same.

The digital future certainly would give comic shops a big reason for concern, just like Amazon is killing off Borders (as you mentioned). Sadly, that's just the way industries usually go. Slow and steady changes can eventually render certain retailers redundant. Focusing on selling more TPBs may alleviate that somewhat, but unless they're competing with IST it won't stop the bleeding.

Relaunching individual issues does make sense as a hopping on point OR if they're trying to launch the characters in a completely different direction. Relaunching just to get more #1s on the shelves does not. Looking over a bunch of these new Marvel Now #1s, it seems like the balance is weighted more heavily towards the latter. A new volume of Ms Marvel with the same writer after the previous one was cancelled? Why? A new #1 for Waid's Daredevil when the only significant change will be the background setting? Why? Those types of moves seem short-sighted and pointless.

I feel like the only reason to keep traditional numbering and not constantly relaunch is to pacify aging wolfshirts.

MG310

Don't think I've actually seen a comic artist/writer charging for autographs ever. Sketch/commission rates vary pretty wildly from person to person. Some offer free quick sketches, some do that when you buy some prints, most will have rates posted on their table.

If you have a specific artist you want a sketch from make sure to check out their site first as a bunch pre-sell them. If not check first thing when you get there.

Finally got my replacement Bombshells Batgirl (the first was missing some of the texture off the top of the base as well as a footpad) and picked up the two Zatanna busts on ebay. Probably touch up that spot where the hair meets her face on the Hughes one..seems like a problem on a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom